• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

What gender is Pikachu?

What gender is Pikachu

• Male

Votes: 177 94.1%
  • Female

Votes: 11 5.9%

• Total voters
Pronoun
they
Bringing back the old topic what gender is pikachu.Personally I would say male but some would say different. Your choice.
So let the discussions begin...NOW

I say male. So gender differences came into being randomly, so whut?

I think they'll need to show a female Pikachu in the anime though to show the difference. Then it would prove it.

The tail... It doesn't have the dent that means it's a female, so it's male, but it's a very feminine male.

That doesn't flow with the other part of the anime. Pre-fourth generation, every pikachu would have no heart-shaped tail so by that, it means all pikachu would be male. To make a pikachu, you need a female pikachu. Eh, eh?

Or maybe the anime is just sexist towards female pikachus and refuses to show them.

Haha why did this follow the forum move.

I don't care either way, but:
The tail... It doesn't have the dent that means it's a female, so it's male, but it's a very feminine male.
That doesn't mean anything since the differences were only brought in in Pearl/Diamond. Otherwise that means that in that one episode where Pikachu finds a tribe of Pikachus living together (Goodbye Pickachu or something), he'd found a gay commune.

Male. Dawn's Buneary has pretty much been proven female, and it's in love with Pikachu, so that make's it a male. Also, Pikachu cheers people on in a Hakama while Buneary does it in a cheerleader outfit.

ゼニガメ26;1385 said:
Male. Dawn's Buneary has pretty much been proven female, and it's in love with Pikachu, so that make's it a male. Also, Pikachu cheers people on in a Hakama while Buneary does it in a cheerleader outfit.

Pretty much what I was going to say. ;D

May I also add that in DP062 ("Tanks For The Memories"? I don't follow the dub too much.), when Hikari, Satoshi and their Pokemon all dressed up, Naetle, Pikachu and Satoshi all looked embarrassed, whereas Eteboth, Hikari and most other Pokemon had no qualms about the outfit. This surely suggests that Pikachu is male.

Last edited:
Ekibyōgami;1400 said:
Pretty much what I was going to say. ;D

May I also add that in DP062 ("Tanks For The Memories"? I don't follow the dub too much.), when Hikari, Satoshi and their Pokemon all dressed up, Naetle, Pikachu and Satoshi all looked embarrassed, whereas Eteboth, Hikari and most other Pokemon had no qualms about the outfit. This surely suggests that Pikachu is male.
...And you said everything that I wanted to. XD

Oh well, saves me the trouble of typing it all out again.

Quoted for truth and nothing much more.

I think that Pikachu is male for the fact that female Pokémon tend to have a higher pitched voice in the dub animé, while Pikachu doesn't really. Also, I can imagine a female Pikachu having curls in its hair.

Just look at this picture. Your imagination can do the rest.

013.jpg

Pikachu has always struck me as being male. The gender differences brought into being with Pokémon Diamond and Pearl cannot be used because bringing in random gender differences into the anime would be confusing.

Probably male, though he acts very feminine.

And I laughed at that picture, shadow_lugia ^^,

Male.
Not to mention the piles of evidence in the anime Ekibyōgami listed,
I'd bet if Ash's Pikachu was supposed to be female, they would've done the gender differences oppositely and had the female with the full tail. So they wouldn't have to edit the one in the Anime.

My opinion, though.

I don't get all you people saying Pikachu acts feminine. Everything about it has screamed out male to me since I first saw it. The idea of Pikachu being female just seems... wrong.

That doesn't mean anything since the differences were only brought in in Pearl/Diamond. Otherwise that means that in that one episode where Pikachu finds a tribe of Pikachus living together (Goodbye Pickachu or something), he'd found a gay commune.
But you're thinking it the wrong way around. Why would they have made the iconic mascot of the Pokémon franchise get a gender difference in Diamond and Pearl that would prove it to be the gender it's not supposed to be? There was no reason for them to give Pikachu a gender difference in the first place. If they wanted to keep it ambiguous or imply Ash's Pikachu was female, they could have done that easily, but no. They instead specifically created a gender difference that implies Pikachu to be male. I have to say they probably did it on purpose.

ゼニガメ26;1385 said:

She could always be a lesbian, you know.

But yeah, I'm thinking male too.

I've always thought of Pikachu as a dude ever since I started watching the show.. but really I could care less what Pikachu's gender was.

Back
Top Bottom