• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

are the presidential elections too long

lylemaster

i think that the presidential elections are too long.They spend their whole time going to different states and getting the peoples approval.

There should be a couple months to gather supporters, one month is a single primary throughout the entire country to decide the candidates, and the next month is the final election.

At least I think that is how it should be this year... most years people don't care so much.

Oh, my god. I was just waiting for someone to post this thread. This is DEFINITELY an issue that needs resolving, because it is certainly one of the more important things our country has to deal with. People are too busy worrying about war, and abortion, and global warming, and gay marriage, and other pointless issues to think about what needs changing. You're right. The elections are far too long. I hope whoever gets into office in 09, the first thing they do is change it so that the elections are only HALF as long. The US would be a better place.

[size=-5]for those of you whose sarcasm sensors are off, this post is not meant to be taken seriously[/size]

Much shorter would be better, at least on the primary side. Think how much money is wasted drawing everything out... Besides, it gives some states more voting power in the primaries that others. A single primary day would be better. Heck, make it a national holiday or something so everyone can go vote.

I would say that there's still a good time period between the primaries and final election. Because if there isn't enough time the parties would split (of course the parties are another issue). Maybe bump up the national primary time a bit to Super Tuesday (which evolves into Hyper Tuesday) in February/March. Then the conventions can happen at a normal time and the general election in November.

i think that the presidential elections are too long.They spend their whole time going to different states and getting the peoples approval.

...So are we supposed to let the legislators elect them? I thought the point of our elections was that the people would get the president they want.

Besides, the longer the election process, the more time the candidates have to get people on their side. ;D

to be fair our elections really are a stupid song and dance

but this in particular is not exactly the best criticism

I think that the election process is far, far too long. This time around, it started in mid-2007, more than a year before we'll actually elect anybody. The current election process guarantees that any candidates who want to stay in for the entirety have to have a) An unbelievable amount of money, b) a huge amount of determination to get elected, rather than to do their jobs, c) approval of the media and other influential people/things. That pretty much eliminates all but the top 1,500 people, and not all that many of those have any interest in running. So, because of the way our election process is set up, it becomes almost impossible for anybody to last through it, and the president virtually has to be in the upper class.

Yeah, I think a lot about this sort of thing.

Back
Top Bottom