• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

The 2012 Metronome Contest

Considering I'm uber depressed I missed my chance at entering the battle for Asber, if this is still accepting (considering I haven't seen anything stating otherwise), and the fact that I can use whoever despite whether they can actually learn Metronome (and if not I'll just buy something that can), I'll be reserving my spot now. I'll edit the bank link in tomorrow when the forums aren't slower than a slugma, so I'm basically just posting now to reserve a spot and add the thread subscription at the same time... and to remind myself to pay at some point... yeah. /incoherentthreeinthemorningramble

And while I'm thinking about it... since it says we can use any pokemon, regardless of whether they can learn Metronome or not... how exactly are the random moves going to be determined? Is it just random from the selected pokemon's movepool or is it just out of all moves and they will simply work?

With RespectTheBlade just now, we have a full nine-judge ensemble, so, we won't really need any others; if you still would like to lend a hand, however, there's always the possibility of working in rotation with a less active/willing judge, or even act as an "emergency judge" of sorts if somebody's taking too long.

As for prizes...Hm...*looks at her Automail shop* How about a free Arm Replacement?
Good too, but now I'm starting to think first place is getting too much more prizes than second and third.

Adding that in as well.

if this is still accepting (considering I haven't seen anything stating otherwise)
We still are. 27 entrants is an impressive number, specially within less than 24 hours, but split into three groups, that only leaves nine for each. The whole reason why there are three groups is to increase the number of entrants the contest can handle, as a matter of fact.

And while I'm thinking about it... since it says we can use any pokemon, regardless of whether they can learn Metronome or not... how exactly are the random moves going to be determined? Is it just random from the selected pokemon's movepool or is it just out of all moves and they will simply work?
Out of all moves and they will simply work, just like any normal usage of Metronome.

If you're unfamiliar with the workings of the Metronome Contest, it may be a good idea to check out the first edition.

Well, the message at the top of my screen tells me I need to get active again... and hey, how 'bout that, a ready-made activity to participate in! Have some money for it.

Also, I can be an "emergency judge" if needed. Primary or secondary.

Hm...true the first prize is getting a lot. How about this

Second Prize gets 1/2 off on a Arm Replacement, and Third prize gets 1/4 off a Arm Replacement.

That should work nicely~

Dunno if I should be making another post, but I will just to avoid any confusion of whether I paid or not.

Also, thanks, I'll go check out the first one. :D

Edit: Soon as I posted, forums went wonky again. >.> So here you go.

Last edited:
Hm...true the first prize is getting a lot. How about this

Second Prize gets 1/2 off on a Arm Replacement, and Third prize gets 1/4 off a Arm Replacement.

That should work nicely~
That will do, I suppose. Thanks for helping out with the prizes!

Also, with Mawile now, we have 30 entrants, which ought to be enough for a proper three-group contest. I'll wait around a bit more, but, we do have enough entrants to start this up if nobody else does come along.

Alright, this will do, I suppose.

Entrances are locked out. Since we have a precise 30 entrants -- a perfect multiple of three -- everybody who joined in time can get in.

Also, I decided to go with something a bit unusual: instead of having set-in-stone primary and secondary judges, I merely assigned three judges to each group, so that they may decide for themselves who will do the primary judging. It needn't even be the same primary judge for all rounds! Of course, if the group can't reach a consensus, they can bring the matter to my attention.

And for that matter, here are our groups:

GROUP ONE - MAGMA STORM BRACKET
Judges: Metallica Fanboy, Byrus, RespectTheBlade
Contestants: Derpy, Sunflower, bulbasaur, Crazy Linoone, Chiropter, Meursault, I Liek Squirtles, Mawile, Superbird, Mai

GROUP TWO - DRACO METEOR BRACKET
Judges: Crazy Linoone, pathos, Blastoise Fortooate
Contestants: Wargle, Coloursfall, Windyragon, blazheirio889, sreservoir, Skylark, Byrus, HighMoon, The Omskivar, Totodile

GROUP THREE - DOOM DESIRE BRACKET
Judges: Mai, blazheirio889, sreservoir
Contestants: ole_schooler, pathos, Shadow Serenity, Luxcario, Kusarigamaitachi, RespectTheBlade, Sweetie Belle, Blastoise Fortooate, Grass King, Effercon

I'm still in charge of all the move rolls. You'll be seeing those, as well as the specific rules for the first round, in a quick while.

Almost forgot, here's the $10 entry fee. Rather, $9 at the moment, I'm a bit broke right now. I'll get you the extra dollar somehow.

I took the full $10 -- Negrek

Last edited by a moderator:
DOUBLE POSTIN' POWAAAAAR

I struggled with a while with color-coding the moves, and then realized it the exact antithesis of worth the effort, given the sheer amount of moves we're going through.

And so, the first round of the 2012 Metronome Contest begins. There are rules to be mentioned just before we get to the appeals.

First of all, the setting. Before we can move on to shenanigans that awaken the deceased and troll restaurant patrons, we have to go through the relatively boring stage -- the literal stage. That is, the Contest Stage. There are no quirks to it -- it's an average contest venue, set up like a movie theater but with a woodboard stage instead of a big screen at the end. Contestants can, if they wish, mess around with the curtains, as well as the lighting (note, however, that the contestants cannot change the lighting during the appeal -- they must set a desired amount of brightness at the start of the appeal and stick with that).

Any Pokémon currently owned by the contestant can be used for this appeal -- whether they learn Metronome or not, whether they are in your active squad or not. Only one at that time will be on-stage, although the contestant is also free to interfere with the appeal. Water-dwelling Pokémon will be just fine on land, although their movement will be severely restricted, although it's also possible to have a pool open up. Don't forget that held items and move/body modifications have no effect on a contest, and in fact, are treated by it as not existing. If any of the moves dealt require arena elements that are not present in our current arena description, these can be added. The Pokémon chosen for the appeal, of course, can only use the moves rolled for the contestant, although they only absolutely must use one; non-move actions are still free.

Of the thirty contestants, fifteen will advance to the next round -- the five best ranked in each bracket.

Without further ado, your moves shall be revealed below.

GROUP ONE - MAGMA STORM BRACKET
Judges: Metallica Fanboy, Byrus, RespectTheBlade
Derpy - Iron Defense, Heat Crash, Ice Shard, Dive
Sunflower - Horn Attack, Metal Sound, Acid, Aeroblast
bulbasaur - Snatch, Foresight, Wring Out, Acid Spray
Crazy Linoone - Focus Punch, Acrobatics, Volt Tackle, Faint Attack
Chiropter - Clear Smog, Acid Armor, Shell Smash, Wake-Up Slap
Meursault - Triple Kick, Gunk Shot, Barrier, Fire Spin
I Liek Squirtles - Bulldoze, Cosmic Power, Aqua Ring, AncientPower
Mawile - Poison Fang, Confusion, ViceGrip, Rock Blast
Superbird - Hi Jump Kick, Relic Song, Splash, Fake Tears
Mai - Shell Smash, Glare, Crabhammer, Lick

GROUP TWO - DRACO METEOR BRACKET
Judges: Crazy Linoone, pathos, Blastoise Fortooate
Wargle - DragonBreath, Grass Knot, Judgment, Mach Punch
Coloursfall - Flamethrower, Psychic, Moonlight, Bonemerang
Windyragon - Rock Polish, Defend Order, Overheat, SmokeScreen
blazheirio889 - Lock-On, Ally Switch, Rollout, Sheer Cold
sreservoir - Gunk Shot, Strength, Swallow, Explosion
Skylark - Defense Curl, Dragon Rage, Payback, Tail Glow
Byrus - Razor Shell, Close Combat, Frustration, Luster Purge
HighMoon - Fling, Rock Climb, Tri Attack, Hurricane
The Omskivar - Draco Meteor, Water Pledge, Feint, Mean Look
Totodile - Drill Run, Bulk Up, Searing Shot, Magnet Rise

GROUP THREE - DOOM DESIRE BRACKET
Mai, blazheirio889, sreservoir
ole_schooler - Perish Song, Confusion, Cosmic Power, Acid
pathos - Withdraw, Hydro Pump, Magnet Bomb, Thunderbolt
Shadow Serenity - Secret Sword, Dual Chop, Poison Sting, BubbleBeam
Luxcario - Weather Ball, Fling, Fly, Aqua Tail
Kusarigamaitachi - Crush Claw, Icicle Spear, SonicBoom, Thunder Wave
RespectTheBlade - Rage, Bide, Psych Up, Attack Order
Sweetie Belle - Spore, Defog, Acid Spray, Mud-Slap
Blastoise Fortooate - Role Play, Zen Headbutt, Waterfall, Present
Grass King - Freeze Shock, Heat Crash, Tail Whip, Acid Armor
Effercon - Brave Bird, Night Daze, Torment, Hydro Cannon

Each one of you has 10 days to issue commands, although extensions can be given if justified.

Good luck for all of you. Literally.

I... /what/. So I get one move that doesn't work with just one Pokemon and one that has no visual effects, leaving me with a not-very-impressive Rollout and Sheer Cold, which takes an immense amount of concentration and time?

This is gonna be tough.

Back
Top Bottom