• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Differences between men and women

I don't really see "I have a few close friends rather than a bunch of acquaintances" as a particularly male or female tendency. I think this is based on personality more so than gender or gender roles -- I'm a girl and only have a few close friends, but then I know of many other girls who have many not-as-close friends on the other hand. Also know of not-so-tomboyish girls who have lots of male friends.

actually...

dont male babies have more chance of being disabled?

or is it just that they suck.....

Sort of. Since men only have one truly active chromosome as opposed to a female's two, more debilitating genes are likely to be expressed, leading to more disabilities. It's kind of like how male Calico cats are very rare and usually sterile, because the Calico pattern is caused by the expression of two chromosomes.

I still support that there are base mental differences between males and females. But the thing we gotta remember is that people aren't made with cookie-cutters. Of course you're going to have a lot of exceptions because every individual, male or female, is different, and a lot of their final resulting personality will be based on their experiences. However, the idea that "typical" gender traits were just pulled out of nowhere and are purely a social construct doesn't make much sense to me.

the idea that "typical" gender traits were just pulled out of nowhere and are purely a social construct doesn't make much sense to me.

Boys play with trucks and girls play with dolls

Duh

...Doesn't make much sense to me, either.

This made me lol.
MEN HAVEN'T CHANGED IN 270,000 YEARS
A survey of genetic information contained in the Y chromosomes of modern day men suggests that Homo sapiens descended from a single group of male ancestors, and that this occurred more recently than previously believed. Researchers at Yale University evaluated samples of DNA from 38 men from all over the world. Surprisingly. no sequence variations were found in a 729-base pair intron near a gene thought to be involved in sperm or testes development. In contrast, the corresponding sequence in gorillas, chimpanzees, and orangutans did show significant polymorphisms.
I think I read somewhere that mothers who have male babies are more likely to develop depression, as opposed to having a female babies.

Oh, and I don't know if anyone mentioned it (including myself) but in the brain, men have a much bigger Inferior-parietal lobule, and the left half of this is bigger than their right. In women the right half of this is larger than their left, give or take.

Boys play with trucks and girls play with dolls

Duh

...Doesn't make much sense to me, either.
I played with both! The dolls were usually hit-and-run victims.

Why is depression more likely if a mother has a male child? Do you have a link to what you read? That is interesting.

No I don't have a link, but i'll gladly google it and see what I can find.
I'll edit this in a moment.

--
Edit:

Stressed women 'are more likely to have a baby girl' - LOL that's nice...
However, it is possible that high levels of stress hormones may make it more difficult for male embryos to implant and stressed women may be more likely to miscarry male babies.

--

male babies trigger depression:

Causes of Post-Natal Depression:

Boy babies 'worse for depression': <-Possibly misconstrued from something like this.

Male Babies Linked to Postpartum Depression:

Boy babies depress mothers more:

Last edited:
I am pretty emotional too, and i have a few good friends. But just for the record i have never worn a skirt( no offense intended).

I was raised primarily by my father and he raised me in a somewhat tomboyish manner. We would turn phone books into ramps to jump my barbie car and then I had a source of fun. He took me out on adventures and took me camping and to amusement parks and to arcades and my friends' houses and he has taught me so much. I took his advice and I am proud of what I've become.

I can easily hang out with the boys as just friends (though not the ones that are at the same stage of puberty, that's just asking for trouble) and I'm not afraid to get dirty or handle a snake. But that's not to say that I don't like girly things like bubble baths, nice clothes, cooking, sewing, and other nice things.

Personally, I think being a girl is somewhat of an advantage. Being a tomboy is socially acceptable (and so is girls wearing guy clothes) but men dressing and acting like women isn't. But women also have ideals set by others. When my dad got together with his girlfriend/fiancee (I don't see them getting married any time soon), she expected me to be proper and polite. I guess that since I was raised mainly by a man, I adapted a male type etiquette (wait, is there even a such thing?).Like, usually when someone burps, I usually comment on what type of burp it is and how they could improve on the delivery. Most other people are disgusted with this; mainly women. This is pretty much because they were raised up with these kind of things.

To sum it all up in Pokemon terminology, girls may have a different set of base stats than guys, but they can still learn the same kind of things if they have the right trainer. The trainer is obviously the parent(s) or guardian(s).

[--! If you are an Atheist, please ignore this post --]

It seems to me like this debate would be largely summed up by a question somewhere along the lines of, 'If it were possible for two people to switch bodies or something crazy like that, could a man and a woman switch places without anything about their personality being changed?', or rather, 'Is there really any fundamental difference between the spirit of a man and the spirit of a woman?'

In my opinion in regards to the latter question, (and I am very much not sure) is no, not really. The only differences in personalities between men and women are probably caused by reactions to steriotype and body chemistry.

In my opinion, it is like the difference between a rich man and a poor man. The one is not born rich because it is the character of his soul, and vice versa. The spirit of someone with blonde hair is not any better embodied or personified by blonde hair than black hair.

C.S.Lewis said:
You do not have a soul; you are a soul. You live in a body.

I think too many times we associate the body as the actual person living inside it. I sometimes almost try to keep myself from doing this. Is that really so-and-so, or is it just the body they have been bounded in to live?

Asians are stariotyped in one way, and Westerners another, and Africans another, and the list goes on and on. These stariotypes are generally correct because people living together in a similar lifestyle are brought up in such a way that makes them how they are. I think it's pretty much the same between men and women, but there are also many more genetic factors that come into play.

That said, I really believe that men and woman are meant to have different roles, no matter who they deeply are. It's like the rich man and the poor man; they are born into different roles and must live it out. It is on this note that I say that I am strongly, strongly, strongly against any kind of homosexuality, and my previous statements do not justify it at all, but that is a different debate.

I still am not sure if it really is true that some people actually do have different independant natures than others (I used to be completely environmental in regards to our psychology, but now I really don't know. Is everyone different? Is there a definite number of different natures in people? I think I'm still swaying toward environmentalism). And I really do not know what to think about people who are not so fortunate as to have acquired mental retardation because of genetic deficiencies (what to think of their spirits that will never really be able to grasp things).

[--! If you are an Atheist, please ignore this post --]

Not a damn chance.

It seems to me like this debate would be largely summed up by a question somewhere along the lines of, 'If it were possible for two people to switch bodies or something crazy like that, could a man and a woman switch places without anything about their personality being changed?', or rather, 'Is there really any fundamental difference between the spirit of a man and the spirit of a woman?'

Any proof that spirits exist?

In my opinion in regards to the latter question, (and I am very much not sure) is no, not really. The only differences in personalities between men and women are probably caused by reactions to steriotype and body chemistry.

I'll agree with that.

In my opinion, it is like the difference between a rich man and a poor man. The one is not born rich because it is the character of his soul, and vice versa. The spirit of someone with blonde hair is not any better embodied or personified by blonde hair than black hair.

The thing with the rich/poor analogy is that things can change for them. A poor man could start a successful business, and become rich. A rich man could have his business go belly-up, and end up poor. As for the blonde/brunette thing, I don't believe we have spirits.

I think too many times we associate the body as the actual person living inside it. I sometimes almost try to keep myself from doing this. Is that really so-and-so, or is it just the body they have been bounded in to live?

... Huh?

Asians are stariotyped in one way, and Westerners another, and Africans another, and the list goes on and on. These stariotypes are generally correct because people living together in a similar lifestyle are brought up in such a way that makes them how they are. I think it's pretty much the same between men and women, but there are also many more genetic factors that come into play.

Again, agreed.

That said, I really believe that men and woman are meant to have different roles, no matter who they deeply are. It's like the rich man and the poor man; they are born into different roles and must live it out.

But like I said, the rich man and poor man can change the role they're in. And in the case of transgendered people, it'd be an injustice to force them to be their birth gender if they honestly don't want to.

It is on this note that I say that I am strongly, strongly, strongly against any kind of homosexuality, and my previous statements do not justify it at all, but that is a different debate.

You have just opened the fucking Pandora's box of TCoD.

A good number of the regulars on this forum are homosexuals. Saying you hate something they can't control is disgusting, and you can expect to get a bunch of angry regulars from that comment. I want a good reason why you believe gays are horrible. "The Bible says so" is not a good reason.

I still am not sure if it really is true that some people actually do have different independant natures than others (I used to be completely environmental in regards to our psychology, but now I really don't know. Is everyone different? Is there a definite number of different natures in people? I think I'm still swaying toward environmentalism).

Everyone's different, if that's what you're getting at. There's unlimited different kinds of personalities. There are a lot of things that form your personality - it's not completely black-and-white.

And I really do not know what to think about people who are not so fortunate as to have acquired mental retardation because of genetic deficiencies (what to think of their spirits that will never really be able to grasp things).

And if there's no such thing as spirits?

You can't just tell an entire group of people, especially one that makes up such a large demographic of this forum, to 'just ignore your post'. This is a public forum, and anything you post can be read and replied to by anyone else.

That said, I really believe that men and woman are meant to have different roles, no matter who they deeply are. It's like the rich man and the poor man; they are born into different roles and must live it out. It is on this note that I say that I am strongly, strongly, strongly against any kind of homosexuality, and my previous statements do not justify it at all, but that is a different debate.

The caste system really kind of sucks, you know. :| In most developed countries, the poor man can work until he gets above his raising and live on a decent amount of money. Likewise, a rich man can lose everything he has and become poor, or even give away all his wealth of his own free will. I think it's pretty fucking disgusting to expect people to 'just deal with' whatever cards life deals them, no matter how shitty it is for them. Your body doesn't define who you are, and your social status and wealth don't either.

You have just opened the fucking Pandora's box of TCoD.

This. I don't think I even need to say anything, other than that I guess I'm a disgusting person in your book.

But how is it that homosexual couples have different gender roles than heterosexual ones? It's not as if, for example, if two homosexual women are together, one will adopt the female role and one will adopt the male role. This is a stereotype that is popularised in the on television and on the internet (particularly in yaoi fiction; with the seme being the aggressor with particularly masculine features, who is dominant, and the uke, the receiver, who is often depicted as more feminine in comparison and is the receiver/target for the seme.) - I know a pair of lesbians and both of them adopt a fairly feminine role towards their relationship. Sure, you will get couples who adopt different gender roles, but if you're going to assume that for all homosexual couples then the media's tricked you yet again.

Why should men and women have to adopt a particular role, no matter, as you said, 'who they deeply are'? Why should men and women have to conform to a particular gender role that is set up by society? If you accept that gender roles are a social construct, who decides these gender roles? Why do people have to abide by them? Currently there are thousands of people who do not, according to you (read: gays and lesbians), but how is this affecting society in a debilatating(sp?) way? How is two men having sex right now affecting your day-to-day life, other than it clashes with your views of gender roles? Your view is clashing with their view of gender roles, you know.
What's deemed as 'acceptable' by a social group isn't any different from highschool peer pressure. You'll do as your told otherwise you'll get ostracized or bullied until you conform. But why can't I be who I truly, deeply am? This is how I think I will be the most happy and satisfied with my own being - why can't I do this just because you or x amount of people don't like it?

Perhaps you think differently; let's say that you view gender roles as a religious construct, rather than a social one (well, religion is a soc-anyway). I'm not sure what religion you conform to; judging by your previous posts I'll hazard a guess at Christian.

I am a female, bisexual tomboy. Why should God tell me how to behave? I don't believe in God. The laws and gender roles that are present in Christianity don't apply to me, because I don't accept them. They are someone else's standards, not mine. Why should it bother me that God tells me that I should be a virgin until I am married? That I should be subservient to men? I don't care about God; that's someone else's beliefs, not mine.
If we apply this thinking to gender stereotypes being a religious construct, it meshes very closely to gender stereotypes being a social construct; they differ from person to person (or religion to religion, or person to person, judging on how they view interpret their faith or how deeply they follow it) and they only apply to people who let them, much as it might feel that they should or that they do. Religion, as I'm sure you know, means something different to everyone and everyone inteprets it differently. How is it, then, that religion should be the basis of gender roles? Christianity, for example. How could this possibly be applied to everyone when there are scores of people who don't give a damn anyway? Scores of people are from different cultural or religious backgrounds.

Note: I'm not an athiest. I just think differently about religion than you do; also attaching 'if you're an athiest, ignore this' is a bit silly in a debate. People are going to argue about your religion in the debating hall whether you want them to or not. If you don't want people to challenge your religion, then don't use it as a basis of your argument, or don't mention it.

erugh, I'm sure this whole post is just a ranty ramble that doesn't make much sense, if so, I'm sorry. I just woke up half an hour ago and I'm still dozy.

Thank you for the beautiful demonstration of why I didn't want atheists to reply to my post. The entire freaking post was written assuming spirits were real, as you seem to have figured out.

btw, I didn't catch the meaning of your reference to "the Pandora's box of TCoD."

A good number of the regulars on this forum are homosexuals. Saying you hate something they can't control is disgusting, and you can expect to get a bunch of angry regulars from that comment.

I really don't care, and I would argue that it can't not be controlled.

I want a good reason why you believe gays are horrible.

First of all, I do not think gays are horrible; I value those people, but I disagree strongly with their behaviors, and do not excuse them.

Now, in this context, what I am saying is that we are all born into different roles, and we cannot change who we are. Homosexuality is not natural, period. I am not going to get into another big debate, although I could. I am keeping it simple, and I never really wanted you to reply to my post, because it was not meant for you. Heck, it wasn't really meant for anybody. I'm just getting my thoroughly thought out ideas out not really expecting anyone to care.

EDIT: Wow, there were a lot of posts before I got done writing that (or maybe I just wasn't seeing the other posts when I saw the first reply, which is more likely); that whole thing was directed at J.T. (Of course all of it still applies...)

Last edited:
Thank you for the beautiful demonstration of why I didn't want atheists to reply to my post. The entire freaking post was written assuming spirits were real, as you seem to have figured out.
Just because you are an atheist, doesn't mean you don't believe in souls. I have a friend who is an atheist but believes in souls.

I really don't care, and I would argue that it can't not be controlled.
And why would anyone possibly believe that it can be controlled? If you believe that you can control your sexual orientation, why don't you go gay for a while, then turn yourself straight again, so that you know how gays feel and better understand them?

First of all, I do not think gays are horrible; I value those people, but I disagree strongly with their behaviors, and do not excuse them.
Why?

Now, in this context, what I am saying is that we are all born into different roles, and we cannot change who we are. Homosexuality is not natural, period.
Why isn't it?

I am not going to get into another big debate, although I could. I am keeping it simple, and I never really wanted you to reply to my post, because it was not meant for you.
If you don't want to debate, don't go to the debating hall.

Heck, it wasn't really meant for anybody. I'm just getting my thoroughly thought out ideas out not really expecting anyone to care.

People will care if it sounds like you're insulting them.

Back
Top Bottom