• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

Princess Darknight II

so i'm destroying alien zombie nazis, right.
I couldn't find a thread for this game, so I thought I'd make one. It's a bit of a shame too, it's a really good game. And not like Fallout at all. Really.

I got the game fairly recently, in comparasion to how old it is. Even still, I hooked up on that game faster then a crack addict. It's friggin' huge, I'll give it that. Not to mention I got the game of the year addition, so it includes the Knights of the Nine and the Shivering Isles.

Speaking of which, I'd suggest doing the Shivering Isle's quest before the actual main guest. It practically gives you enchanted crap on a silver platter. Hell, Sheogorath (who is the best Daedric Prince ever) throws a decent necklace at you the moment you meet him. It doesn't help that I nicked a Golden Saint's shield on account to slightly bad A.I (Two Golden Saints were duking it out, for no good reason) and also got a super boost in gold out of it.

I usually play as Redgaurds and Argonians, mostly because I hate contracting diseases and frantically searching for the Cure Disease Potion or a chapel.

Y tu?

I've spent numerous hours on this game and pretty much milked it for all it's worth: every quest, every location, different characters, etc. etc.

Excellent game. Eagerly awaiting ESV.

Well I've played this more than a few times, and I've got to say, I get bored before ever finishing the main quest or any of the expansion quests.

IMO, only a bit of an improvement on Morrowind. Not a bad game, but I don't find myself drawn to it.

Also looking forward to V, though.

2006 is old? I regularly play a game from 2000. >_>

I have worn almost all the fun I could possibly muster out of this game. It was a good game, sure, but it wasn't fantastic. It gets boring.

Playing as a vampire is some sort of fun, though.

Yeah this game is definite time-waster; I can't count the numerous hours I've spent on it. Yet I still haven't quite ran out of quests for my Acrobat Redgaurd (Don't ask, it works) to take. If all else fails, we'll just wander the country-side and search for what little we haven't found.

But that's a bit like GTA: San Andreas - if you get to that point, you should really just start another profile.

Still, brilliant game. I too am waiting for ESV, but it feels like an eternity. I know Rome wasn't built in a day but...

At least they're not being like EA, who just throw out constant expansion packs and patches as long as they can possibly can. I heard Spore's already heading in that direction.

Edit: I'll admit, 2006 isn't that old, but to the majority video games are like computers and cars in life-span. I'm not really one of those people, I still play games that are considered ancient like Wolfenstein 3D and (god forbid) The Legend of Zelda. I think that the lifespan of a game is measured in quality and not actual time.

And yeah, I can see how some people would get bored by this game. There's a reason I do the Shivering Isles first...

I personally found the game to be... Very boring. Didn't like it nearly as much as Morrowind, but then again, there are plenty of other games I'd rather be wasting hundreds or thousands of hours of my life on. I won't deny the fact that it is a good game, it's just very boring.

Also, I don't get how anyone could compare anything to GTA... The series is one of the most tasteless pieces of crap I've ever played, and seen in my life. But then again, that's most any sandbox game out there. Just look at INfamous and you'll have a good example right there.

...You do know that the Elder Scroll games and Fallout meet the criteria of sandbox games, right?

They're huge worlds where the player has a fairly non-linear gameplay. They can do what they like.

Anyway, I was comparing it to GTA: San Andreas because I know from personal experience that eventually you run out of things to do in that game. And when you DO run out of things to do, you often decide to just walk across the whole damn thing.

Honestly? It's a lot better to just start a new game.

(Personally, I enjoy quite a few of the GTA games. You have to understand that it portrays inter-city situations fairly well, or at least as well as a video game can. Same with INfamous. Were you expecting dashing heroes in shining armor? To each his own, though.)

Hmm, well then a video game must not be able to portray inter-city situations that well...

My biggest problem with sandbox games is that they've got that 5 minutes of elation, where you can run around, but then you simply realize that it's pretty all you do is run around. Which is then followed by crashing back down to earth.

I have wasted YEARS on oblivon. And for all of you complaining about not having things to do anymore: That's what mods are for!

also: GTA is not supposed to portray "inner city situations". They're just supposed to be fun sandbox games where you can run rampant over a city. And they succeed.

Yeah thanks for calling me out in that. In retrospect, that was stupid and an excuse to make it sound more civil.

The fact is, I like GTA because I blow up cars and throw them across bridges. Not to mention buildings. And with the right mods, I can fly around and have Charles Atlas superpowers. Who doesn't love a game like that?

And let's be honest, GTA's portrayal of the city is completely over-the-top. And that's why I love it; it's a semi-fantasy city where I can rob every bank in the vincinity and I'll be okay so long as I keep my stars down. And drive tanks in the city.

Now if only certain lawyers could see that...

On Topic: I really want to use mods and hack all over the place, but I got myself a fail Xbox 360 version. Somehow, I can hack an Xbox, but not that contraption without it red-lighting.

One of these days it's going to explode into itty bitty microchips.

I've got the Xbox 360 version. I've been playing it for almost a year. I'm a dark elf with a custom class and I usually use swords after paralyzing the enemy, it works pretty well except a bunch of monsters can't get paralyzed.
I've beaten the Dark Brotherhood/Mage's Guild/Thieve's Guild/Arena questlines and I'm still having loads of fun with the game.

I'm pretty sure you can get mods for the Xbox 360 version, you just need Xbox Live.

I picked this up on the PC the other day (GOTY edition)

I haven't spent much time on it yet, but I'm going to mess around making new characters and trying out different classes. I'm pretty glad I don't have to do the main quest because I don't really want to repeat the first few bits.

I had to settle for morrowind, which comes before oblivion, because my friggin' computer is too crappy to run oblivion.

If anybody here hasn't tried it yet, make a hand-to-hand character.

Great departure from your normal melee weapons, cheaper, yet capable of being just as effiecient.

And just the idea of fighting everything in Oblivion with fisticuffs is awesome.

Hand-to-hand is always my preferred combat.

So yeah, like almost everyone else in this thread, I've ridden the game to shit, every quest, including the two or three "hidden" quests, or whatever you want to call them (Lich of Lost Boy Cavern, Unbeaten Path, Attack On Fort Sutch, etc.), every dungeon and eventually out of boredom I decided to kill as many killable NPCs as possible. Which is quite a lot.

Back
Top Bottom