• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Winter wonders!

Equinoxe

has a BONE to pick with you
So, although a lot of things with winter are kind of unpleasant (face freezing off, your car under a huge pile of snow, snow in your boots, whatever), there are at least a few positive things that come with it. Why not discuss this chilling season, then?

First of all, I love those pretty winter wonderland days! I'm willing to risk freezing my fingers to take pictures (like these ones I took this Monday) of that pretty postcard winter look because there's nothing quite like it. Doesn't matter if it's a 'freezing but sunny' or 'everything's in black and white' kinda day, if the world looks like it's covered in frosting, I'm happy. Snow-covered landscapes are oddly soothing.

Another notable thing about winter is that it's actually dark enough at night to see the stars (and northern lights if you're lucky). The sky is that special extra-deep, dark blue colour and you can really feel how huge the universe is. Plus if the moon is around, everything is transformed into a magical land of Not Actually Dark Even Though It's the Middle of the Night. I really wish I had a camera that was as sensitive as the human eye so I could capture those gorgeous late-night moments ;n;

How's your relationship with the cold season (if your country even has one)? Do you love the crunchy kinda sound your boots make in the snow on a cold day, or are you just pissed when literally everything outside is frozen and miserable?

tbh it'd be cool if we got a little colder. It only really gets down to 60F here in the day. Apparently it's only snowed down here once in the last two centuries :<

Including wind chill, it got to -30 degrees Fahrenheit here. Ever since then I haven't liked the season too much.

I get that if you grew up in a place that gets loads of snow all the time, it would be annoying. I don't think I could ever get tired of snow, though. It's so pretty and crunchy.

I also generally prefer being cold to being hot. And there's no theoretical limit to how many layers of clothes you can put on if you want to warm up, while if you're too hot there's only so many layers you can take off before you expose your internal organs.

I like the time of day where it's darkish outside and the air is cool. Since night comes earlier in winter (I think? I never really learned which way around it was) that happens more often then.

I get that if you grew up in a place that gets loads of snow all the time, it would be annoying. I don't think I could ever get tired of snow, though. It's so pretty and crunchy.

I also generally prefer being cold to being hot. And there's no theoretical limit to how many layers of clothes you can put on if you want to warm up, while if you're too hot there's only so many layers you can take off before you expose your internal organs.

I like the time of day where it's darkish outside and the air is cool. Since night comes earlier in winter (I think? I never really learned which way around it was) that happens more often then.

The longest day of the year is the summer solstice, the shortest day is the winter solstice.

It's not winter where I live. It's high summer. The heat's been scorching, and it's been raining often and heavily. There's been massive thunderstorms more days than not, and even some blackouts. It doesn't always rain this much on summer -- and in fact it was painfully dry last year -- but I suppose weather in a somewhat mountainous region is bound to be prone to large and strange changes.

I do prefer heat to cold, by a large margin. Even the relatively tame winters from here wear me thin -- I couldn't stand living someplace where it's cold enough to snow every year. (And besides, contrary to what seems to be popular sense, excessive heat is much easier to solve than excessive cold; a breeze or a fan do away with much of the hardships of heat, but as far as cold goes, there's no amount of bundling up that ever really solves the problem without leaving you with the opposite problem.)

North Carolina? Winter? What?

Whenever we get any snow here - even like a quarter of an inch - the school board goes crazy and cancels school for that day. Sometimes there doesn't even need to be any real snow. Last year the school system ended up canceling literally more than half of the days in February. It was somewhat pathetic.

But the reason for that is that it just doesn't get very cold here. Before January this winter, I don't think the temperature ever actually dropped below freezing. It has lately, but it's only gone down to 20°F or so, so nothing particularly scary.

I live in the tropics, but I have experienced winter before, when I was on vacation in Australia five years ago.

Although I went during the tail-end of winter, when the temperature was about 15 Celsius (60 Fahrenheit) in the daytime and 8 Celsius (45 Fahrenheit) at night, well... let's just say that I learned that I prefer the tropics.

I really dislike the winter, and it's not because I'm super underweight and I'm always super duper cold maybe.

I loove it visually though

Winter is the only season I don't like, tbh. I'm definitely someone who likes it hot, and while snow and icicles and Christmas lights and such are all lovely to look at, they would be even better in a season where I wasn't at least mildly chilly 80% of the time.

I will say that it's an excellent excuse to drink copious amounts of hot chocolate. But then again, who really needs an excuse for that?

Winter is the only season I don't like, tbh. I'm definitely someone who likes it hot, and while snow and icicles and Christmas lights and such are all lovely to look at, they would be even better in a season where I wasn't at least mildly chilly 80% of the time.

I will say that it's an excellent excuse to drink copious amounts of hot chocolate. But then again, who really needs an excuse for that?
This pretty much summarises my feelings for winter. Summer is warm and you can go to the beach, autumn is pretty and somewhat temperate, and spring is mild as well, but winter is just bitterly cold, and there's snow. Snow is pretty to look at, sure, but it's cold and wet, and it makes YOU cold and wet, and it never goes away and it makes the roads bad and wow no snow please.

This kinda sums up my feelings about the cold/hot thing. It' practically impossible for me to think or function if it's really hot, so cold is much better (and wearing a blanket like a cape is the best thing).

Winter manages to make anything car-related terrible, always. The roads are gross, your car is covered in snow if it's not in a garage 24/7, windows get foggy and all that jazz (oh how I love scraping ice off the windshield).

As a general rule, I like experiencing winter for a little while; a few pretty, snowy days and winter-y weeks are okay but when it just goes on and on it starts to get on my nerves. Autumn could last half a year and I wouldn't complain, though :D

I live in NC like Superbird, so we haven't felt winter yet this year haha

I did go to Pittsburgh though and went skiing! I have some pictures which I'll upload here later.

In South Carolina, snow is like a once in a blue moon kinda thing. We had it the year we moved here, and supposedly it was the first time in like forever. Same thing happened when we moved to North Carolina. Snow the first year, none the other two. But we're moving to back to Germany now, and it snows like Arendelle in Germany. I loveeeeee snow, so this is great. Not for Dazel, but for me.

Where I live 'cold as balls' is considered the average.

So winter really isn't that much of a thing.
Or maybe you could say that it just happens to be winter most of the time!

Which reminds me, when I was small I wasn't sure if "winter" referred to the cold weather season or if it specifically meant the months of December, January and February.

So I wasn't sure if it was the case that in the southern hemisphere, winter happened in August, or if winter still happened at the same time of year, it was just hot during winter.

But every time I asked anyone they'd laugh and make fun of me for being dumb :(

So, although a lot of things with winter are kind of unpleasant (face freezing off, your car under a huge pile of snow, snow in your boots, whatever), there are at least a few positive things that come with it. Why not discuss this chilling season, then?

First of all, I love those pretty winter wonderland days! I'm willing to risk freezing my fingers to take pictures (like these ones I took this Monday) of that pretty postcard winter look because there's nothing quite like it. Doesn't matter if it's a 'freezing but sunny' or 'everything's in black and white' kinda day, if the world looks like it's covered in frosting, I'm happy. Snow-covered landscapes are oddly soothing.

Another notable thing about winter is that it's actually dark enough at night to see the stars (and northern lights if you're lucky). The sky is that special extra-deep, dark blue colour and you can really feel how huge the universe is. Plus if the moon is around, everything is transformed into a magical land of Not Actually Dark Even Though It's the Middle of the Night. I really wish I had a camera that was as sensitive as the human eye so I could capture those gorgeous late-night moments ;n;

How's your relationship with the cold season (if your country even has one)? Do you love the crunchy kinda sound your boots make in the snow on a cold day, or are you just pissed when literally everything outside is frozen and miserable?
snow in your boots, whatever), there are at least a few positive things that come with it. Why not discuss this chilling season, then?
there are at least a few positive things that come with it
at least a few positive things
vomits blood

No but really there isn't much positive about winter for me. It's really nothing but three months of me not getting out of bed, wallowing in depression and being really really fucking cold. I have zero cold tolerance. It's awful. I don't even think snow is pretty, I just think it's kinda bland looking.

seasons in perth are kind of just on a sliding scale between 40C and raining, so we don't really get much of an autumn/spring thing going. You only really notice it when european trees start doing their 'leaves go brown' thing in autumn. metropolitan perth gets to like zero or -5 at its coldest in like the early morning, so it's not much to write home about. I just really love how much it rains.

Back
Top Bottom