• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Gay Marriage Is Bad For Small Businesses

Departure Song

$ $ hey hey
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/05/16/michael-steele-gay-marria_n_204263.html
SAVANNAH, Ga. — Republicans can reach a broader base by recasting gay marriage as an issue that could dent pocketbooks as small businesses spend more on health care and other benefits, GOP Chairman Michael Steele said Saturday.

Steele said that was just an example of how the party can retool its message to appeal to young voters and minorities without sacrificing core conservative principles. Steele said he used the argument weeks ago while chatting on a flight with a college student who described herself as fiscally conservative but socially liberal on issues like gay marriage.

"Now all of a sudden I've got someone who wasn't a spouse before, that I had no responsibility for, who is now getting claimed as a spouse that I now have financial responsibility for," Steele told Republicans at the state convention in traditionally conservative Georgia. "So how do I pay for that? Who pays for that? You just cost me money."

As Steele talked about ways the party could position itself, he also poked fun at his previous pledge to give the GOP a "hip-hop makeover."

"You don't have to wear your pants cut down here or the big bling," he said.

Vermont and Iowa have legalized gay marriage in recent weeks, and a Quinnipiac University poll released in April found that 57 percent of people questioned support civil unions that provide marriage-like rights. Although 55 percent said they opposed gay marriage, the poll indicated a shift toward more acceptance.

The chief of the Republican National Committee has been criticized by some social conservatives in recent weeks after GQ magazine quoted him as saying he opposed gay marriage but wasn't going to "beat people upside the head about it."

Steele, a Catholic and former Maryland lieutenant governor, was elected chairman of the committee earlier this year.
lmao

lol wtf? How is it different from getting married under any other circumstances?

I wonder what even dumber things they'll make up in a desperate attempt for more support before their party finally becomes obsolete?

I know I should have some sort of legitimate input posting here, but I think lack thereof speaks volumes when I say; I'm speechless.

RoflWaffles and etcetera.

I fail to see his point, either. Unless he thinks that some workers could skirt whatever contract, personal or union, by just saying they're gay and clamouring for more money. Typical GOP social thinking in action.

(Where I work — and it's no longer a mom-and-pop operation — the union gives no benefits to spouses, or civil union or domestic partners).

i've met people who seriously argued that "gays caused the collapse of the Roman Empire"

so yeah, this isn't the most outlandish claim yet. :P

Wouldn't gay marriages actually help the economy? I mean what with all the money spent on the ceremonies and the licences and the furniture and the lawyers for the divorces and and

*headdesk* Oh dear. This isn't just homophobia, this is outright greed (backed up with homophobia, but still). Geez. Like opal just said, this is an argument to be used against marriage. I mean, they'd give the benefits to hetero couples, right? *sigh*

Talk about people that need to get a life get over themselves. As was stated before, this argument is against all marriage.

He believes in God. Marriage was a religious institution, truthfully. But when every heterosexual that gets married is clear in the way of the Good Book, let me know... and I'll be sure to tell him he's right. ;D

Marriage is a sacrament, yeah, but ... the issuing of a marriage license and all the benefits that come with it is wholly secular.

Back
Top Bottom