• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Cannabis

Pook

Don't Mistake Coincidence for Fate
Pronoun
he
cannabis-notschedule1drug-thcf.jpg

250px-Bodily_effects_of_cannabis.svg.png

Wikipedia said:
Cannabis, also known as marijuana(from the Mexican Spanish marihuana), and by other names, is a is a preparation of the Cannabis plant intended for use as a psychoactive drug and as medicine.

Do you use cannabis? Do you believe it should be legalized in your country?

I smoke cannabis and believe the benefits of its legality will be heavier than if it remains illegal.

What do you think?

I'm not sure the tax argument necessarily holds given that groups like the IRA have been profiting for years in the illegal sale of untaxed cigarettes. Something similar is likely to happen with a taxed system of cannabis. The only real argument for me is "Why not?". I just don't see why it's necessary for the government to intervene in that personal choice.

i don't really know how i feel about legalising it, but i do know that the australian government's policy of 'make it even illegaler!!' is kind of ridiculous.

I don't smoke weed (surprise!) but I have argued for legalisation for years. It keeps the weed out of the hands of drug dealers since you can set up legal growth depots as well.

It's not my business what crap people put into their bodies, it's their responsibility.

totally relevant

there are definitely negative side effects to weed, and kids probably shouldn't be doing it, but really it's pretty tame compared to alcohol or cigarettes. lord knows why the policy wonks upgraded it to class B. it's also disgustingly hypocritical that loads of politicians have admitted to experimenting with weed and yet they push for more criminalisation.

full disclosure: i did weed once and i wasn't really impressed. probably had some poor-quality stuff, but at least it was free (had to do a few... favours for my bf, but i wasn't exactly reluctant to pay him back :D )

As someone who's on and has been on 10000000ooo... antidepressants, anxi-anxieties, and anti-pain meds that just plain don't work (and have tons of fun side effects yay), I am definitely for the legalization of weed dammit. :|

I don't smoke weed (or do drugs in general) but this was actually the subject of an English paper I wrote this semester :O

Anyways! Result of that paper was the conclusion that it probably would be better for weed to be legalized for a lot of the reasons mentioned above; influx of state/federal income due to taxation, safer than alcohol or cigarettes (relatedly: it's less addictive!), etc

Also: the Colorado law as it is (iirc; the article I saw is from before the election, since the paper I wrote also was) states you can carry up to an ounce and driving under the influence has similar legal consequences to driving while drunk.

Can't possibly be more harmful than the war on drugs. Note that people of colour are significantly more likely to be arrested for drug use; note that most states ban felons and people in prison from voting. ... Marijuana possession is frequently a felony. yadda yadda.
Elementary considerations of fairness and forgiveness should leave no room for the vicious practice of imposing medieval "civil death" upon people who have broken society's laws. At the same time, those who think that losing one's vote is an appropriate punishment for violation of the "social contract" through criminal behavior should consider the fact that the astonishing boom of America's prison, felon, and ex-felon numbers during the last 30 years is -- like felony disenfranchisement -- a state policy. Contrary to the "law and order" rhetoric cultivated by many politicians and policymakers, there has been no clear or consistent pattern of rising criminality, including violent criminality that can remotely explain the simply remarkable off-the-charts expansion of America's racially disparate prison, criminal supervision felon and ex-felon population during the last three decades. The central factor is that imprisonment and related felony-marking in the US have "changed," in Northwestern University sociologist Devah Pager's words, "from a punishment reserved for only the most heinous offenders to one extended to a much greater range of crimes and much larger segment of the population." People who committed nonviolent, especially drug crimes accounted for more than three fourths of the nation's increase in prisoners between 1978 and 1996.

These trends have impacted black communities with special harshness. While blacks make up just 15 percent of illicit drug users, they account for 37 percent of those arrested for drug offenses. They comprise 42 percent of those held in federal prison for drug charges and 62 percent of those in state prisons. Blacks constituted more than 75 percent of the total drug prisoners in America in one third of all states according to a report issued in 2000 by the prestigious human rights organization Human Rights Watch. Black crime rates have been consistently higher than the white crime rate, consistent with blacks' lower socioeconomic status and related higher stress levels and weaker social and familial structures, but there has been no massive upsurge of black criminality that could even remotely explain the skyrocketing black incarceration and felony rates.

Medicinal marijuana would probably improve my quality of life notably, but marijuana being illegal in general is pretty fucked up. Smoking weed is really bad for you, but smoking anything is a Bad Plan. Lungs do not appreciate hot particles! Who would have thought. But amazingly enough, it is quite possible to get high off weed without smoking it. Golly.

Last edited:
I wouldn't smoke it myself, but if anyone else wants to use it, eh, their choice. It's not much more harmful than cigarettes and alcohol, and you don't see them being banned anymore...

I think it should be illegal still. If it makes a person high, it should be banned. That's all I'm gonna say.

True, but I failed to mention that I'm against alcohol as well. I agree with the 18th Ammendment of the United States, which bans the sale of alcohol. But it was repealed with the 21st Ammendment.

Unfortunately, banning alcohol just funnels money into the black market. It's too easy to make illegally.

True, but I failed to mention that I'm against alcohol as well. I agree with the 18th Ammendment of the United States, which bans the sale of alcohol. But it was repealed with the 21st Ammendment.
I hate alcohol. It killed both of my father's parents, and many of his siblings are alcoholics. But banning alcohol is a huge problem, as we've already once experienced directly with Prohibition... and are also experiencing now in the form of the War on Drugs.

Substance abused is inarguably a terrible thing, but does it really warrant criminal charges amongst larcenists, launderers, rapists, and murderers?

Portugal's decriminalised basically everything and it's done wonders for them.

Back
Top Bottom