• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Pokemon X/Y

as much as i wanted hoenn remakes, this just means that if we get them they'll definitely be in three-dee

also holy shit how good do these games look!!

everyone get out rainbowdeer is mine okay

I dunno I don't think they'll be going for the 3D theme because that seems... too meta, really. I mean it's not like all the NPCs are going to be saying 'wow we're in 3D!' because presumably they've been perceiving 3D for their entire existence? I mean I guess you could go with a dimensional theme, but they've kind of explored that already in gen 4 and I don't see why they would again.

I don't think a genetic theme would be that unlikely, especially considering that was starting to be explored in BW2 with Kyurem and the DNA splicers and stuff. :o Also rainbowdeer's antlers look kinda like chromosomes, and Y kind of looks like an embryo-lookin thing to me - it's all translucent and red and you could interpret those lines as veins. maybe something new will change or be added to how pokemon genetics/breeding works? :o I thought it was kinda weird they didn't show off any new tech in the commercial other than 3D.

I think it looks great from what I've seen!

I was at first against pokémon turning into a 3D style - before I knew about this though, but when I read speculations for next games and such something that appeared over and over was "3D models for pokémon" and I just thought NOOOO BUT THE SPRITES KEEP THE SPRITES I LIKE SPRITES :C (I just like sprites... you hardly see games with pixel sprites anymore unless they're "retro"-styled games) But looking at this... it's ok. I guess it helps they went for a more cel-shaded cartoon look than "full" 3D models like in the non-handheld games.

I love all the starters too! Probably getting Fennekin.

So what does everyone think of the names thus far? I think releasing almost all the name at the same time was a really clever move. I haven't heard any complaints about the names themselves, probably because they never had time to get used to the Japanese names. Also Xerneas and Yveltal seem pretty non-standard!

Very excited and very in love with Froakie, though as per tradition I'll be choosing Chespin. (I can save Froakie for the inevitable better sequel or third version, hehe.)

I love them all! Game Freak, you've done it this time!

Now the fans are already doing "Mozilla Fennekin", "Chesfinn" (er, not really, but Chespin needs a fan name too), and "All Glory to the Froakietoad".

This game had me at 'Wild Pikachu appeared!'. Honestly, Nintendo; Pikachu's been so very good to you, and you keep relegating it to Pokedex-filler status :(

Also good: Chespin (unless it evolves into something horrific, I'm definitely starting with it) and the deer legendary. I love it. It's like someone took two of my fave Gen V Pokemon (Sawsbuck & Verizion) and added rainbows. I like the cel-shading, but I want to see more overworld, parts in the trailer (that brown, deserty place with the towers especially) looked a little bland.

Last edited:
So what does everyone think of the names thus far? I think releasing almost all the name at the same time was a really clever move. I haven't heard any complaints about the names themselves, probably because they never had time to get used to the Japanese names. Also Xerneas and Yveltal seem pretty non-standard!

Yeah actually, that was a pretty cool move. :o It's weird that I'll never ever think of Fennekin as fokko, though. I maintain that the whole world getting details right from the start is probably the best thing they're doing right now, it feels so exciting!! and! wow I can't believe October is so close/far away.

anyway the legendaries' names are weeeird but they give a 'not like other Pokemon' vibe so that's pretty cool. I think I need some time to get used to the starters' names though, for no good reason they all feel kinda cumbersome. :<

(... I still think Froakie is ridiculous in general.)

Everything for me was pretty much just all really well done. Apart from Froakie and the fact that the male trainer looks like the BW one.

I want the Froakie-composer idea to be true. Nevermind that Water-frogs already have a minor voice-motif with them (Perish Song/Hyper Voice Politoed, Seismitoad being vibration-themed in the first place), a composer-hair-pattern would be fantastic and now I'll be disappointed if it doesn't happen.

Fennekin looks a little too plain for me. I mean a lot of starters are plain, i.e. Charmander, Chikorita, but this one has just about nothing to give away its typing aside from the colors. And it's just...a fox with red ear hair. Chespin meanwhile looks too much like a Pokedex-filler Pokemon than a starter, which I can't really explain, but probably has something to do with not having a mammalian Grass starter before.

Definitely getting Y after I get the 3DS (whenever that may be). Yveltal is just too cool looking.

Fennekin is meh in a box, looks like Oshawott and isn't a reptile.

Fennekin is too plain.

Froakie is a cute froggie, so at least we finally got a frog that is cute.

Xerneas looks great and might be based on a Celtic god. What if we're getting a Water-type legendary based on another Celtic god?

Yveltal is a weird-looking demon bird.

Don't you feel like Froakie is a bit plain? It's just. A frog. It is blue. The starters this time are basically just sort of animals with a sole interesting feature, but I kind of like that! Nobody ever says Squirtle is too plain but it's literally just a turtle with a curly tail.

I'm pretty sure Xerneas is a call to shishigami deer gods from Japanese mythology! (there's one in Princess Mononoke!) It's interesting how about from colours it's kind of really hard to tell the legendaries' typing? I just can't call it! :o I almost forgot that box legendaries can sometimes not be dragons so that's really exciting!

there is so much cool fanart for xerneas wow.

i am glad/really hoping legendaries aren't dragons this time around. :/

It would be really weird if Xerneas was.

I dunno I kinda like the idea of maybe the trio legendaries being the dragons this time around. :o Think about it they could be mini cuties swooping around the region, Iris would approve.

It would be really weird if Xerneas was.

I dunno I kinda like the idea of maybe the trio legendaries being the dragons this time around. :o Think about it they could be mini cuties swooping around the region, Iris would approve.
And Lance. Everyone forgets about Lance.

If I ever get this game I'm so torn between Fennekin and Froakie. I'll probably choose them based on their final evolutions. Wouldn't it be cool if their secondary typings would be another type triangle? They've never done that(except in Sinnoh...)...

Originally Posted by The Omskivar
Fennekin looks a little too plain for me. I mean a lot of starters are plain, i.e. Charmander, Chikorita, but this one has just about nothing to give away its typing aside from the colors. And it's just...a fox with red ear hair.

untitled_drawing_by_mohacastle-d5r621n.png

Never said that! D: I still like it better than Chespin, something about that one doesn't sit right with me. I think it's the hat.

It does look more like a hat than a natural part of its body, but I'm guessing that's because it's meant to look something like these. Bright green shell/rind/casing/hat over a brown nut/fruit/fuzzy babby hedgehog head.

Doesn't really bother me, anyway. Chespin's probably my favorite, oshawott-in-a-hat aside, though I don't dislike any of them.

Back
Top Bottom