• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Poetry Is Shit

Music Dragon

Doosic Maggon
Pronoun
she
Poetry Is Shit

Art is just another contest held by morons
or sometimes a moron contest held by art.
Loading the dice with worthless trinkets, they think themselves subtle
but a single ugly word is enough to crack written concrete.
Envy of creation is all that can really inspire the poet
and praise is nothing but resentment in a clever disguise.
The only way to advance is to wear only question marks
and march unflinching through a rain of ink-dipped arrows.
And if you're drowning in shit or other people's impatience
then the only place where you can feel clean is with me.
When fountain pens cause blood to run down necks
worthy poems will at last begin to form.

haven't seen you around here in a while! let's see.
Art is just another contest held by morons
or sometimes a moron contest held by art.
... haha.
Loading the dice with worthless trinkets, they think themselves subtle
but a single ugly word is enough to crack written concrete.
Envy of creation is all that can really inspire the poet
and praise is nothing but resentment in a clever disguise.
okay so you kind of lose your antecedent with 'they', but I guess it's still kind of obvious who you're talking about. I don't know if this is intentional, but you could potentially confuse they for 'art' or 'poets' or 'morons', so I suppose it probably is intentional. (probably). Have you considered switching the order of these two couplets?

The only way to advance is to wear only question marks
and march unflinching through a rain of ink-dipped arrows.
okay so throughout this poem you've got relatively strong, driving language and this is the only instance where you really repeat your words, and it shows - probably more so because they're in the same sentence. I get the impression that this probably isn't intentional; if it is, I'm not sure what you're trying to do here.

oh, and nice imagery and so on. but you probably already know that! 'ink-dipped arrows' is exceptionally pretty.

And if you're drowning in shit or other people's impatience
then the only place where you can feel clean is with me.
When fountain pens cause blood to run down necks
worthy poems will at last begin to form.
I feel like this is somewhat of an abrupt resolve to an otherwise strong poem! you do a lot of build-up of poetry being shit, but you only resolve it in the last couplet. It does leave a sort of resonance, but I'm not sure if that's what you're after.

aside from my nitpicking, this is pretty good! You've got a clearly developed concept and voice here and it makes me kind of jealous because my writing never seems to. :B

Back
Top Bottom