• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Mafia hack-ish

Butterfree

Still loves Joltik, though!
Staff member
Heartache staff
Pronoun
she/her
So. Remember that mafia hack I talked about making years ago that was keeping the mafia forum closed?

Well, since we opened the mafia forum, I realized that what's been keeping me from working on it has basically been that I was thinking it way too top-down, trying to figure out automated roles and phase changes and whatnot. After sensibly deciding that approaching this from the other end would be far more likely to work, I spent all day getting a few basic features working:

- Mafia games, both sign-up threads and game threads, now display a player list at the top.
- In sign-up threads, there is a button below the player list, provided you're a member of the Mafia Players usergroup (join it by going to Group Memberships in your User CP) to join that game. This will immediately put you on the player list for that game. The actual thread can be used for questions and discussion about the game before it starts.
- When a prospective game master starts a thread in the main Mafia forum, he will be prompted to associate it with one of the sign-up threads he himself has created.
- When a game thread has been created in the main Mafia forum, the first night phase is considered to have begun, and all players who signed up for that game will receive a notification at the top of any page of the forums that, similar to the unread news, will disappear once you view the thread. Subsequently, the game master can click a button in any of his own games to change the phase, and this will immediately show a notification to all players.

Some more features planned to be implemented soon:

- Allowing game masters to "kill" a player, which will strike them from the player list.
- Making game threads function as closed during the night.
- Allowing game masters to specify the number of open spots when they create a sign-up thread, automatically closing sign-ups when that total is reached.
- Allowing game masters to close their own sign-up threads, which stops people signing up even if the total hasn't been reached.
- Keeping track of the day number for each game.

Other features that I may make at some point in the foreseeable future:

- Automatically putting people in the relevant usergroups when they join/start a game
- Allowing only players in a game (and the game master) to post in a game thread.

If you have any other feature suggestions, I'm all ears. Just remember that the complex stuff like automating the death queue isn't likely to happen anytime soon, unfortunately.

Last edited:
It's done-ish. :D

Only one feature request, since I run a Mafia for the ASB forum every year: having "moderated" signups, or allowing only people from a certain usergroup to join a particular game? Since it would be nice to use the hack's new features for organizing the game, but that would necessitate putting it in the general mafia forum where people not a part of the league would be more likely to get confused and try to sign up for it. Alternatively, if the "kill" feature would work before the game had actually started, allowing you to remove people that way (not sure if that's what you had in mind, anyway).

What I'd suggest (although this isn't related to the hack at all) is to have a sticky thread detailing the basic rules of Mafia.

I have rather forgotten the rules of Mafia - that Pokémafia guide before was wonderful in its explanation. Any guide would be very welcome.

Oh, joy, it's back.

- Making game threads function as closed during the night.

Out of curiosity, does this wording imply that all games will (or at least should) take place in a single thread as opposed to one thread per day phase?

Oh, joy, it's back.

Out of curiosity, does this wording imply that all games will (or at least should) take place in a single thread as opposed to one thread per day phase?
Actually, the hack as it is lets you choose. Whenever you start a thread in the main mafia forum, you can associate it with any game you've created, and if that game is already associated with a thread, it will just be associated with the new one instead. So if you want, you can create a new thread for every day, but you can also just keep it in the same one, depending on your preferences as a GM (for instance, if you want to use actual polls to determine the executions, you'll probably want to start new threads, since at least I don't think you can just detach and attach new polls however you please).

Anyway, if you didn't notice, I put up a new mafia rules thread. If you think more generic roles should be added to it, just say so.

Question:

What is the border of "night?" is it the same as Pokemon, 8-4? Also, does it go by each persons own specs, cause that would have potential to suck if not.

Question:

What is the border of "night?" is it the same as Pokemon, 8-4? Also, does it go by each persons own specs, cause that would have potential to suck if not.

nonono, you've got it all wrong

"day" and "night" phase are periods of time that generally last 1 1/2 to 2 days. they don't correspond to real-life times.

The game master decides how long each night phase lasts, but it's always long enough for everyone to get in their night actions, generally a minimum of twenty-four hours. Day phases are usually considerably longer, since then all the discussion has to take place.

Honestly, it wouldn't make any sense if it were according to the night in individual timezones. o_O Did you actually read the mafia rules thread? If not, I strongly suggest you do, because this game won't make any sense to you unless you properly know what's going on. Or, if you did, read it better, because you really shouldn't be able to get that impression if you read it properly.

Back
Top Bottom