• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Welcome to the Safari Zone! (What You Need to Know)

departuresong

Bouncing Off Clouds
Welcome to the Safari Zone, a forum-based pokémon collecting game. This thread will provide all of the information you need to know about what the Safari Zone is, how to get started quickly and easily, and various other things.

What is the Safari Zone, exactly?
If you've played the Pokémon video games, you know that the Safari Zones of Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, and Sinnoh all involve searching for elusive pokémon to add to your collection. Much like its ingame counterpart, The Cave of Dragonflies' Safari Zone doesn't feature any sort of battling. It's all about participating in various activities to collect pokémon and items.

How does it work?
The Safari Zone consists of multiple user-created areas. All will allow you to obtain pokémon and items by participating. Many times it will be about luck, but sometimes skill may play a larger role. The best way to learn about how the Safari Zone operates is to dive right in!

What has changed since the last Safari Zone?
Micro-managing all aspects of your Safari Zone game has been reduced. Players should (hopefully) notice some new rules that make life easier for players and staff alike. The new Safari Zone will also introduce many more official events that reward rare and unique prizes. Many more ideas and features are in the works, and if you have any insight you'd like to share, you are more than welcome to do so!

I want to participate! How do I set up a Safari Zone account?
Excellent! We're glad to have you.

• The first thing you should do is check the Starter Shop to check the stock of starting pokémon. The quantity of certain pokémon species fluctuates and it's first come first serve, so be quick when claiming your first companion.
  • Your next stop should be the bank. Without money, you can't do very much! Make a post there saying that you'd like to open an account. In your post, clearly state which of the starting pokémon you'd like.
  • Wait until you're approved. You'll know you've been approved when your name appears in the original post along with the $50 you receive for joining. Once you've been approved, go and check out your PC. It is required that you use your PC to keep track of your items and pokémon, but beyond that, it's all up to you. For inspiration, check out other users' PCs!
  • You're now ready to participate in Safari Zone areas and events! Please enjoy your time playing.

Somebody's cheating/being a bad sport/breaking the rules!
If a member is doing something related the Safari Zone that doesn't follow the guidelines, contact me and I'll see to it that they're penalized or remove from the game. This mainly includes cheating. If a member is flaming, spamming, or breaking one of the other rules of the entire forums, let a moderator know by using the report button.

Do I need to keep track of my pokémon's gender?
Yes. All area owners must specify whether the pokémon a user has won is male or female (unless it is genderless) and users must list its gender in their PC. This is important for breeding (when it's implemented) and trading.

Can my pokémon evolve? Do they level?
There are no levels here. If you want to evolve your pokémon, you can do so with the Evolution Station.

Can I trade my pokémon/items with others or give them as gifts?
You certainly can! There are three ways to trade: privately with another user, the trading thread, and by making a shop. You may make a shop whenever you want, but you are encouraged to only do so if you have an excessive amount of things to give away. To make a shop, make a new thread in the Facilities forum. Making a shop is currently free of charge, but that may change in the future. Once a trade or transaction has been cleared by both users, it is the responsibility of both users to update their profiles as soon as possible to reflect the changes. Additionally, if one side received money from the transaction, they are required to go to the bank and withdraw/deposit.

Does this have any connection to ASB?
No, it doesn't. Your ASB profile and your Safari Zone profile are completely separate.

I'm ready to make my own Safari Zone area! How do I do it?
It's pretty simple and relies mostly on common sense. Opening up a new area costs a one-time fee of $30. You may have as many areas as you desire, but don't create so many that you end up neglecting some. Your area can be anything you want it to: simple games of luck, "choose your own adventure," gambling, anything! You can even get the user's pokémon involved! Use your imagination and be creative. Here are some other guidelines:

• Remember that your safari area is restricted to a single environment. If your area is in a cave, then cave-dwelling pokémon (rock types, ground types, zubat, etc.) are what the players should be finding. That doesn't mean your environment can't be diverse, but don't for example have an ice type pokémon wandering around near a volcano.
  • Don't give away rare pokémon or items too frequently. As a (very) rough guideline, only about 1 in 50 players should receive something of moderate rarity and only about 1 in 200 players should receive something extremely rare (pseudo-legendaries, shinies, etc). UPDATE: Take a look at this post for questions regarding rarity!
  • Don't give away legendary pokémon. They are reserved exclusively for events.
  • Remember that you can give away items, too! Evolution stones, tools, random decorative junk, it's all fair game.
  • If a pokémon can be male or female, you must specify which when a user receives their prize.

If you're ready to give it a try, make a new post in the bank to withdraw the $30.

I still need help!/I have a suggestion!
That's what this thread's for. Feel free to reply here with your thoughts, questions, ideas, and comments.

Last edited by a moderator:
So if we want to start an area, how should we decide what people get? Should we assign a specific item/Pokémon to each number/letter/slot thing, or give each a certain chance of showing up for each time, or is it up to us? [/horribly phrased query]

Last edited:
Couple more things-

Are we allowed to add new Pokémon/sections/features to our areas at will? Also, can we ever catch Pokémon from our own areas?

What about fossil Pokemon? Could you receive a Fossil Item and then get the Pokemon from that somehow?

Well, since it looks like ShiningGlass kinda forgot about this place... I guess I'll officially take over in his absence. Since it was his idea, his word is law, but here's my answers.

Also, do the Pokémon obtained have to be baby/stage one, or can they be already evolved?

They can be evolved, but evolved ones should be some degree rarer than stage ones.

Is it possible to reserve area ideas? Seeing as how I'm too busy to type up my arena right now :I

Nope, sorry! First come, first serve.

This is going to be a stupid question, but are we allowed to nickname our Pokemon?

Of course! But in most scenarios, you'll going to want to say the actual species name along with the nickname for clarity.

Couple more things-

Are we allowed to add new Pokémon/sections/features to our areas at will? Also, can we ever catch Pokémon from our own areas?

Sure! As much as you can keep up with. Just make sure they keep with the "single environment" theme.

Aaaand... I wouldn't; too much of a chance for corruption. Feel free to ask to buy someone's pokémon back for the entry fee though, I suppose?

I'd like to make a Area. This sounds really cool~

Go right ahead! Areas don't need approval. :D

What about fossil Pokemon? Could you receive a Fossil Item and then get the Pokemon from that somehow?

I'll expand the Evolution Station to include fossil pokémon.

Quick question. How much do we charge to let people run around our areas?

Completely up to you! Look at other areas and try to be competitive. Cheap seems to be $2, expensive, around $7.

One more thing: If we have a breeding pair, where would we put them in order to get an egg?

Breeding isn't implemented at the moment, but probably will be in the future!

If I have an area open and want to completely redesign it would I have to pay another $30, or could I just change the thread?

Just to be sure, can one implement certain challenges/pzzles in their area, which cost a little more to do but up the odds of uncommon or rare Pokemon for you and you only if you do?

Or like, if people figure certain things out a new place in the area might be uncovered, or new Pokemon/items get released? There'd be a limit on this, of course, but...

Is there some sort of Pokemon Emerald-esque cloning glitch?

What? No. Why would you say that? o.O

If I have an area open and want to completely redesign it would I have to pay another $30, or could I just change the thread?

No, go ahead and change the thread. No need to pay again.

Another $30 must be payed for each new area you make, yes?

Indeedly!

Just to be sure, can one implement certain challenges/puzzles in their area, which cost a little more to do but up the odds of uncommon or rare Pokemon for you and you only if you do?

Or like, if people figure certain things out a new place in the area might be uncovered, or new Pokemon/items get released? There'd be a limit on this, of course, but...

@@ Uh, you can have as many challenges and puzzles and extra fiddly stuff as you want (personally, my eyes tend to glaze over at that stuff, which is why my areas are just like "money! :D" "pokémon! :D").

But yeah, like that one place... Limestone Caverns, iirc? It's got like a grillion different subareas and whatever; as long as you can keep up with it and it all sticks to a single theme per subarea, that's totally cool.

Back
Top Bottom