• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Amazing List of Ways to Revive Mafia

Phantom

Uh, I didn't do it.
Let's come up with a list on how to bring mafia back to life.
  1. Get a necromancer.
  2. We involve actual hitmen to kill the actual players to make it more realistic.
  3. Add a cash prize.
  4. Abduct all the formerly active players and force them to play by pain of death or tickles.
  5. Add a bigger cash prize.
  6. Force Butterfree to restart/finish TV Tropes Mafia by means unknown.
  7. Ability-to-edit-your-post Fridays.
  8. Competitions.
  9. Hire a separate group of hitmen to strike against inactive players.
  10. Designated Mafia chat times like over #tcod or even Skype.
Feel free to add to the list.

In all honesty, any ideas people?

Reactions: Mai
Leaderboard.

Three points for being on the winning side and surviving until the end, one point for being on the winning side but being lynched.

Last edited:
Leaderboard.

Three points for being on the winning side and surviving until the end, one point for being on the winning side but being killed.

Iii don't know about being killed--eh, the mafia will tend to kill the people they think are threats, so that kind of invites playing to survive; maybe one point for being on the winning side but being lynched? Exceptions for alien, etc., of course.

Leaderboard sounds like it might be good in itself, though?

Iii don't know about being killed--eh, the mafia will tend to kill the people they think are threats, so that kind of invites playing to survive; maybe one point for being on the winning side but being lynched? Exceptions for alien, etc., of course.

Yes, I meant "lynched".

I don't even play mafia and I think a leaderboard would be an awesome idea. There's not nearly enough competition around this place.

The thing is, the leaderboard idea might be unfair for the more experienced players, whom the Mafia would be likely to take out first.

That's not to say it sounds like a bad idea to me, though. It actually sounds really cool.

The thing is, the leaderboard idea might be unfair for the more experienced players, whom the Mafia would be likely to take out first.

That's not to say it sounds like a bad idea to me, though. It actually sounds really cool.

How so, if we change it from being killed to being lynched? That has nothing to do with how likely their side is to win, so with that modification I don't see any issues

EDIT: Oh, yeah, the three points still requires you to survive. In that case, we should take that out as well

(I guess you could two points for your side winning but you dying by notlynch, buuut is probably unfair, like Superbird said)

I'm not a huge fan of the leaderboard idea. Playing to receive points instead of playing just for fun kind of takes the joy out of it.

There's a channel?!

WHY DIDN'T I KNOW OF THIS?!

@VM: What about both competitive and non competitive games?

Last edited:
How so, if we change it from being killed to being lynched? That has nothing to do with how likely their side is to win, so with that modification I don't see any issues

EDIT: Oh, yeah, the three points still requires you to survive. In that case, we should take that out as well

(I guess you could two points for your side winning but you dying by notlynch, buuut is probably unfair, like Superbird said)

Maybe two points for being on the winning side, plus one bonus point for being named MVP of the game by the GM (we should make that a thing if we're going with the leaderboard idea)?

I'm not a huge fan of the leaderboard idea. Playing to receive points instead of playing just for fun kind of takes the joy out of it.

Playing for points doesn't negate fun values! I think part of the problem with mafia is that it's really easy to give up because oh well, it's tough and you forgot to talk a couple of days and got lost but if you want to win you can always play some other game. It's hard to remember any point of winning! Woo-hoo if you're lucky someone might post "Persony won with these other people or something.". Yay. That is, when you actually do win it's exciting! But otherwise it can be hard to find incentive. If there's some underlying reason to win, actually trying as a result can bring a spark of fun back! Even when you lose. Especially when multiple people are actually trying, because it's not fun at all when everyone just sits around in silence!

One problem with a leaderboard might be that people can make their game however they like! That's not bad, but with a leaderboard all of a sudden accidentally biased games throw people a bunch of points because they made too many mafia, or gave the alien an extra power because they felt bad for it that turned out to swing the game. Also, intentionally super-short games.

Too, people can win by forgetting the game even exists. Is it okay to just let them have points? Mafia has a lot of luck value to it and I think putting a system in place to only give people who did the super-best job ever points is really silly, because luck is part of what makes it so other people can actually join! Punishing people who don't end up playing isn't that nice, either. But, if you can do just as well as anyone by joining a bunch of games and sitting on them, that might make it useless as a way to collect participation. Not because of people doing that maliciously, but just because that could feel as non-worthwhile as before to win if you know just plain getting on the winning side will net points.

I don't know! Maybe it's actually a non-issue. In any case, I'd feel encouraged to play if it was more competitive!

Also, I think having more automated things besides just the names list would also be great for making it feel like an actual game instead of a kind of dry roleplay, but I'm not sure how feasible it is.

And also would it be a good idea or even possible (with custom roles all over) to have different amounts of points for different kinds of wins? Winning as an innocent is way easier than winning as alien or some other special role. Maybe a number of points for any win that's divided by how many people won it? Like 10 points for a win in that case would mean an alien gets all ten, lovers get five each, and a group of ten innocents get one each.

Maybe two points for being on the winning side, plus one bonus point for being named MVP of the game by the GM (we should make that a thing if we're going with the leaderboard idea)?

That seems kind of rough on the GM to make them decide! Also maybe it'd be kind of hostile between GMs and players if people thought anything was unfair.

What about rewarding people for doing a good job avoiding being killed, though! Like there's a lot of strategies people take during discussion to deflect the mafia from them (convince them someone else is more dangerous, pretend to be a safe role). I guess if someone is successfully avoiding being killed at night they should also probably be avoiding lynch, but what if someone's trying to get lynched to protect something better.

They're still getting points so maybe this is also a non-issue.

There is! I prefer playing on the channel because it's easier to discuss and post actions and what-not.

Also it's nice that they can be smaller games! Five people actively trying is a much more exciting game than twenty who are mostly bored (actually twenty people actively trying could get confusing and daunting really quick; wasn't TV Tropes Mafia like that?). Plus you get way more interesting set-ups in smaller groups. You don't have the same deal with throwaway roles or roles that are boring for someone to be for balance, because every role counts! You can make sure every person is able to do something really exciting because there are only a few players to balance.

If we're having a leaderboard, I also propose -3 points for anyone killed by inactivity to promote activity.

EDIT: And at the end of every year, award the Mafia Challenge Cup to the year-end #1. (I can't sprite, so someone else will have to do it.)

I think a leaderboard is a great idea! The ability to just sit on games and still get points might resolve itself -- people caring more about the outcome of the game will be vocal about it, which should spur a healthy dose of blame and guilt toward those who don't contribute. So for that reason I don't think there's any need for an official consequence for inactivity.

Even in games where there is initial excitement, that excitement often dies out, which is a big problem. The ones who were having fun are left disappointed, and over time you come to expect that games probably won't finish, and that needs to change.

To keep people engaged, there are a couple things we can do. Flavor text is big. The story is not an excuse for playing; it helps keep people engaged. I don't want to just read who died and how long I have to say something about it; that makes me want to open up a new tab and do something else. But if I see that you as a game master are putting effort into making this happen, I'll feed off of that energy and contribute to the game. Images are good too; get creative. We don't have an established architecture here like on epicmafia, so our strength is in our flexibility. Anything that stimulates me and causes me to think about what's going on will help to convince me that this game is worth pouring my energies and spare time into.

Another way to keep people engaged is to make mechanics that kick in or get more interesting later in the game. For example, that game that I never got around to starting back in December.

All in all, it's up to everyone to keep this thing going. This game is a social experiment on so many levels. If the players play like they're excited about it, other players will get excited too. Then the GM will want to do a good job GMing, which will come back around to the players, and so on. Conversely, boredom and disinterest are also contagious. If a game doesn't finish, you can usually blame the players for that. You don't set out to start a mafia game with a half-hearted intention of finishing it (or if you do, shame).

So I guess what I'm saying is exciting mafia games are not made by interesting events or setups or leaderboard points anymore than a good Zelda game is made from code. Excitement is released from excitement captured like a fairy in a bottle.

Last edited:
I've joined several games recently (two+ months ago) that just. haven't started whatsoever. I don't think it's entirely a fun-dying-out problem, it's that the fun never actually starts.

Back
Top Bottom