• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Trolling.

The definition makes more sense when placed in context with the other definitions (namely the verb form)

v., urged, urg·ing, urg·es.

v.tr.
To force or drive forward or onward; impel.
To entreat earnestly and often repeatedly; exhort.
To advocate earnestly the doing, consideration, or approval of; press for: urge passage of the bill; a speech urging moderation.
To stimulate; excite: “It urged him to an intensity like madness” (D.H. Lawrence).
To move or impel to action, effort, or speed; spur.
v.intr.
To exert an impelling force; push vigorously.
To present a forceful argument, claim, or case.
n.
The act of urging.
An impulse that prompts action or effort: suppressed an urge to laugh.
An involuntary tendency to perform a given activity; an instinct: “There is a human urge to clarify, rationalize, justify” (Leonard Bernstein).

I don't get why people troll. Normal people don't purposely go out of their way to annoy strangers off the internet, so why do it online? It's just as rude. :/

They feel like they have some sort of immunity because the person(s) they troll are miles and miles away, and don't know them personally, therefore they can't think any less of them.

Also, on the contrary there are people who feel the need to annoy people off the internet. We just call those people, well, annoying.

There's a difference between good trolling and plain being an asshole, by the way. Usually it's a thin line.

People who want to annoy others are, yes, human. People who act on the urge and get their kicks by making others feel bad are annoying at best. The fact people do it on the internet where they don't have to face up to what they do just makes them worse.

Has anyone ever had the extreme urge to just troll the hell out of a forum? Like, no matter what intentions you have, you find yourself being snide and trying to get a rise out of other members. God its annoying isn't it? You just subconsciously want to rip into everyone and everything that moves. Those my dear friends are called rage issues.

Have you ever just had the urge to Troll?

Yeah... Me either.

(Note: This is not an attempt to troll people, this is an honest discussion I would like to have.)

((Mods: If this topic gets too carried away by any party involved, please lock immediately. Thank you))

Oh yes, a large number of times. Not on this forum, mind you, but on a few other ones. It seems to happen to me when said forums are slow and inactive.

Thought I'd add something I discussed (well, more like I pointed out an example and others discussed) at another forum.
At that forum, sometimes, longtime members have just inexplicably snapped (not always due to real life or online issues, just out of blue) and broken the rules, whether once or in a long string. One early member is reported to have simply started acting like Mel Gibson in an episode of South Park out of the blue. One of the last members I'd expect to break the rules lost it one day and received a warning.
So, this 'urge' to 'troll' or otherwise bother other people may just be random forum phenomenon. Hope you don't snap anytime soon.

I don't troll. I really never had wanted to troll. There's no point. Unless you feel like being a jerkoff to people you don't know.
But we just generally call those people "jerkoffs."

I don't get why people troll. Normal people don't purposely go out of their way to annoy strangers off the internet, so why do it online? It's just as rude. :/

20040319h.jpg

Trolling is so dumb I was gonna post out some stupid amourshipping trolling just for the fun lols of it (defenetly not out to harm any of you, don't worry) and my brain cells were dying trying to figure out what to say -.-;

Trolls are too weird. o_o; Also, being mean to people is pointless....(and wrong)

Back
Top Bottom