• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

What is your idea of the perfect Pokemon Game?

Get rid of the Pokemon turn-based battling thing and you get rid of Pokemon.

Seriously, this is one of the few games that can do turn-based battling right. Obviously, it's not realistic, but obviously an evil boss would kill anyone who got in his way, not be honorable and challenge him to a battle.

Although a free battling Pokemon game could make for an interesting fighter... think SSB with Pokemon and then something very interesting to make it not be a SSB clone.

Also, people, stop saying difficulty levels. You can make the games as hard or easy as you please already (fancy a challenge on the main site).

Me, a perfect Pokemon game...
-would have memorable Pokemon with cool designs and interesting gimmicks, like the leech and healing Pokemon I mentioned in another thread.
-would have a contest sidequest where Contests aren't some random thing thrown in.
-would have a plot that's a bit more interesting. Not formulaic, but something that would keep everyone hooked. Particularly, something you could only do with Pokemon.
-would have multiplayer minigames a la Stadium 1 and 2. Those minigames were the only thing I could play with my family.
-would not be linear. You could do some things out of sequence, sort of like EarthBound where you don't have to get some Sanctuaries in order. There would be exploration. (I remember how in some city in GSC, you could surf off the left side of the city and after a while, you find land with three trainers. If you beat them all, they gave you something. That's a nice hidden tidbit!) You could always find more trainers, obscure spots where there are Pokemon/lonely people in cabins who give you neat things.
-would have people say different things through each part of your adventure. Also, have recurring characers other than cerain Gym Leaders and the other team. Remember Eusine?
-would have something fun and totally new.

There's my wishlist for a game. :]

I would include:

Costomizeable trainers(I thought of that for my fakemon game,entitled DarkThunder >i t may never come out < before i read this)
Seasons
Random Weather in random places :P
One of the gyms underground ^.^

Being able to control every aspect of how your Pokémon moves around the screen, with battles set up in FPS style without turns and automatic hits, being able to move in 3 dimensions through jumping, swimming, flying, or whatever your Pokémon can do, being able to choose any Pokémon as a starter and really showing their lifestyle in the wild.

In other words, everything Nintendo refuses to do ;)

Being able to control every aspect of how your Pokémon moves around the screen, with battles set up in FPS style without turns and automatic hits, being able to move in 3 dimensions through jumping, swimming, flying, or whatever your Pokémon can do, being able to choose any Pokémon as a starter and really showing their lifestyle in the wild.

In other words, everything Nintendo refuses to do ;)

I'd like that, too.

I'd really like a portable game with anime-style battling. Where you control the Pokemon and you can have a button specified for each move, and can actually interact with the environment. (I know some people are against getting rid of the turn-based battle system, but would it really hurt just for one game?) And there could be different kinds of stadiums so you can't, for example, use Dive in the middle of a forest.

And it's be nice for there to be Gyms with more unique challenges - like the Whirl Islands. That'd be awesome :D

And then Gyms with unique environments, like I believe Misty's gym had a pool with little islands in it?

Also, getting rid of HMs...just letting Pokemon have certain environments like in Mystery Dungeon.

And like other people have said, a LONGER and DARKER plot without some random lame evil team. And not being able to solve every problem with a Pokemon battle, like in XD how Gloom puts you to sleep before you have a chance to battle, or in the anime where Team Rocket once in a while manages to get away with something (but only until the end of the episode, of course).

Yeah, there are more things I'd want but I can't remember them at present moment, I might edit this post later.

The perfect game?

+ Access to all regions. Plain and simple.
+ Above-ground secret bases.
+ Access to all Pokemon without needing another game or a Nintendo event (save for version exclusives)
+ Morning/Day/Night like its done in DP
+ Random weather changes and seasons

That's all I can think of at the moment. Goodnight. :)

I'd really like a portable game with anime-style battling. Where you control the Pokemon and you can have a button specified for each move, and can actually interact with the environment. (I know some people are against getting rid of the turn-based battle system, but would it really hurt just for one game?) And there could be different kinds of stadiums so you can't, for example, use Dive in the middle of a forest.

Although I am against the idea in general, I kinda agree with you. If they took advantage of 3D graphics on the DS, it'd be pretty neat. They could also make it so that you could dodge an opponent's move occasionally by timing a button press. ^_^

Also, the "environment" could change it up a bit, too. For example, using the move "Earth Power" while in the middle of the ocean wouldn't be nearly as powerful as it would be on solid ground. Using certain moves while in certain stadiums would change things up a bit. If you used a move like "Surf" while on the ocean, a giant wave could actually come up and rush at the opponent in a straight line, and then you could jump off to the side and use another attack, like a combo move... *continues rambling to himself about how awesome that would be*

Vrai would be happy. ^_^

And it's be nice for there to be Gyms with more unique challenges - like the Whirl Islands. That'd be awesome :D

And then Gyms with unique environments, like I believe Misty's gym had a pool with little islands in it?

For once, they should have Gyms that involve something other than simply battling. That'd be nice.

And like other people have said, a LONGER and DARKER plot without some random lame evil team. And not being able to solve every problem with a Pokemon battle, like in XD how Gloom puts you to sleep before you have a chance to battle, or in the anime where Team Rocket once in a while manages to get away with something (but only until the end of the episode, of course).

Instead of some random lame evil team, why not have an insane evil person, who takes up a plot to rule the world because everyone treats him like dirt?

An interesting game would be one where you're the pokemon and you have to evolve to your highest...well, form, and it'd just be from the point of view ofwild pokemon. I just think it'd be different, something to try. *nodnod*

Firstly, the chances of getting a shiny would be dropped from 1/8192 to about 1/500. I've only captured one shiny Pokemon in the wild, minus the three Shinx's I got from chaining, and that was a Fearow in Diamond.

Next, the level cap would be pushed way up; 250. This way, it wouldn't be "pmg 100? nub".

Next, it would begin in Kanto. You would pick one from the three original starters. It would be the same as blue/red is. Except for a few changes. Firstly, you actually ride on the SS Anne, and get to a new island, where you get an egg as a gift from your wild. What does it have? A baby of his starter Pokemon. Also, Team Rocket would make one more appearance before the elite four; taking over Viridian City. After you clear that up, Professor Oak gives you an egg of the final starter Pokemon. So, you go on and defeat the Elite Four.

After that, Professor Oak would tell you that the SS Anne is going to another region; Johto. You'll arrive in whatever city the SS Fast Ship is in GSC, except it would be the SS Anne. So you clear up around Johto. Each gym leader would be stronger than the leader of the elite four. Once you arrive in New Bark Town, you'll pick another starter from Professor Elm. Someone steals the other. If you go to Goldenrod after this, you'll get an egg left by your rival. Team Rocket will make another appearence, much stronger than before. After you get 16 badges, you'll go back to the Pokemon League. They'll much stronger Pokemon. After you beat them, you'll gain access to Mount Silver. Once you get to the end, you battle Red. He'd be much stronger than he is in GSC. After you beat him, you'll see a ladder. You go down it, and you'll find a ship. After talking, you'll find that Red is in an organization on a small island. You go there, and there are 4 gyms. Beat them all, and they are so impressed they give you a ticket to go to Hoenne.

Hoenne would be pretty much the same pattern as the previous two; you obtain all three starters. Team Rocket lays low this time. Basically, just stronger Pokemon, and the elite four here has a max level of 120.

In Sinnoh, Team Rocket returns, much stronger than before. Same deal as before. After you beat the Pokemon League, with levels going as high as 160, you'll go to a completely new region.

In this new region, things will be harder than anything else. It's here you'll finally face Giovonni, and, when you finally beat the Pokemon League, you'll be a Pokemon master. You'd need, like, level 220's to stand a chance.

Overall, all 493 Pokemon would be available in one game, and it'd be amazingly awesome, and I'd give my heart to it.

a game where you can train pokemon and a lotto where you can win pokemon that are hard to find and other people can challenge you after you beat the game while you are champion

It always amuses me how different my ideas of improving the Pokémon games and anime tend to be from everybody else's. Looking at this thread, I'd either hate or not care for most of the games proposed.

Okay, firstly, I really believe in the main series. There are many, many things about the main series that I would keep without question, and the changes I would make are often very different from what others tend to suggest. The consideration of spin-off games is another thing entirely, and there I would love all sorts of things I do not want to see implemented into the main series.

For the main series:
- Keep the Grass/Fire/Water three-stage starters.
- Keep the strategic, turn-based battling (the day they ditch it from the main series will be the day I stop buying them).
- Keep four-directional tile-based 2D. D/P's 3D doesn't count since it's not an attempt to look realistically 3D.
- Stay handheld.
- Keep the Gym Leader/Elite Four primary objective.
- Heck, keep the evil team, although I'd appreciate them being given more interesting goals.
- Keep the legendary-oriented side-plots, but make them more elaborate and give every legendary a bit of a role in the storyline somewhere - some of the legendaries in Sinnoh got no plots in D/P, which was kind of lame.
- New region. I do not want to go back to the old regions. I'd appreciate the region being bigger, though - less in the form of making the routes humongous and more just in having a whole lot of interesting, varied towns and routes.
- Speaking of which, many of the routes in Sinnoh were carbon copies of one another in terms of wild Pokémon, at least up until when you brought out the PokéRadar or they started swarming. I'd like each route to have a unique selection of wild Pokémon, while making things like swarms and the PokéRadar only necessary for the occasional species.
- More serious sidequests - while Sinnoh had an awful lot of the once-a-day luck-based type, I'd like some real sidequests that actually have you do something you couldn't otherwise do.
- For that matter, fewer things that are randomized every day, for the love of God! I'm fine with a few Pokémon being available through random swarming or something, but when I, while trying to complete my Pokédex, end up with a list of fifty Pokémon that I have to wait to get because they have a one in twenty chance of appearing as the random daily Pokémon in location X, it's getting a bit much. <_<
- No difficulty setting. However, I would like the level curve to be a bit steeper to make it easier to make the game a challenge for yourself.
- No "darker and edgier" stuff or epic plots. The main series is there so you can train your way around the region collecting badges and get to the League while involved in some lighthearted storyline and then do what you want, training your Pokémon to level 100, winning contests or completing your Pokédex depending on your preferences. I don't want to lose the open-ended sandbox feel.

Now, for spin-offs, I'd mostly like two games: the plot-based and the sandbox MMORPG. For the plot-based:

- A suitably epic, twisty, darker plot with some real, frightening villains and a sense of urgency to your quest. Screw the open-endedness and focus on making a coherent, sensible storyline with no more than some manageable number of plot holes.
- Keep wild Pokémon captures (although I think it should be mandatory to carry at least one Pokémon which could be characterized as an actual character). Possibly storyline differences depending on what Pokémon you're carrying at some particular point in time.
- Pretty cutscenes.
- Actual characterization.
- Would probably work best in 3D.

As for the sandbox MMO:

- Being a sandbox-type game. I don't want a plot. You start the game, you enter the Pokémon world where you can do anything. Interaction with other players would dominate the gameplay: it would not just be battling and contests, but actually being able to get together with other people in the game and decide, "Hey, let's found an unofficial Gym," or "Hey, let's make a company that breeds perfect-IV Pokémon and sells them to other players," or "Let's found Team Molten Steel and go find and capture Heatran." (Heatran, along with all the other legendaries, would be very high-leveled and at the end of a freakishly difficult dungeon that just about requires you to team up with others to get it; there would also be only one in the whole game, but the individuals who capture it would be able to trade it, for one or for many other Pokémon.)

So yeah. :D Those games would make me a happy Butterfree.

...The Perfect Pokémon game you say?

I've never really thought to myself: "Ahh, this needs to be done better", but now that it's being mentioned...

Start the player off in a big town. I'd like to see this as the plot start is more or less the same. Kid starts off in a small town. Their objective is to tackle the league. They get their 1st Pokémon.

Something to do AFTER the Pokémon league which isn't so mind numbingly boring that it makes me want to gnaw my hands off. I mean, perhaps have two plots? The first being the main Pokémon game, the second being a more in-depth, less generic and individual plot, still involving Pokémon.

Have an online function which allows you to explore the Pokémon world WITH other people, a bit like a small MMORPG section.

Rather than creating a bunch of new Pokémon at once, like swarms, have certain Pokémon released into the wild after certain hours of gameplay. Perhaps have the Pokémon ordered into groups of rarity?
0 minutes: Rarity 1 Pokémon + some evos are released.
30 minutes: Rarity 2 Pokémon are released + some evos.
1 hour: Rarity 3 Pokémon are released.
And soforth, up to the 50th or 100th hour.

No event-exclusive Pokémon, and less legendaries. Just make them extremely hard to obtain.

A new online trading system which involves a points system to buy Pokémon with. More like a Pokémon market, selling a Pokémon based on its rarity value.
Rarity 1 are worth maybe 2 points. Rarity 2 are worth 5, and soforth.
People actually have to purchase before the person giving the Pokémon away gets their points.

The option to choose between reglular contests or super contests.

CUSTOMIZABLE TRAINERS.

A longer plot. I don't much care whether it's pretty much the same as always, but a little more to do plot-wise and a lot more hidden stuff for after you beat the elite four would be neat. The plot isn't so much my favorite part of the games as exploring post-E4 stuff and experimenting with different teams.

Also, having access to all of the regions in one game would be fantastic. And Crazy Linoone's idea of getting to choose where you start would make it even better.

I don't like online battles. Too much lag. As awesome as the idea is, it doesn't work very well.

My perfect idea for a main game? Keep the game as it is with the only difference being that you could choos between whether or not you wanted to be a Trainer, Co-ordinator, Lab Assistant, Gym Apprentice, or Breeder with the plot varying only slightly depending on what career you chose. Keep the evil teams as well, but make them more developed and the storyline deeper. That's pretty much it in my opnion.

Back
Top Bottom