• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

NaNoWriMo 2009

...well reading this page was depressing. XD

Still haven't finished. I'm on around 45,000, with about two and a half hours to go. CRAPPPP

I think I'll make it, though, if I get the hell off TCoD and get the hell back to WordPad. I've been doing a good 800 words per fifteen minutes today, so I SHOULD make it unless my mum decides to destroy me and turn off the internet before midnight.

WISH ME LUCK, I NEED IT. D:

...I love how people are talking about needing to stretch their story out. My story was so pathetically un-planned that I've just rambled for 45,000 words and the main characters have only just all met eachother. I'm maybe about a third of the way through the story? And yet still barely anything's happened and it makes VERY little sense and just. Blahh.

EDIT: Why the hell does my Nano count thing in my signature say 42499? It's always automatically updated before now... *is worried*

It'd be completely impossible for me to make it from 36,800-something to 50,000 in one day.

theoretically, this is untrue. the average speed it seems is around 2K per hour, and it's 5:00 now. you'd be finished at 11:30 if you did a NONSTOP WRITING MARATHON. (of course, this only works if you live in my timezone... you probably don't :P)

and just a word of advice to anyone who's doing a mad rush: if you observe daylight savings time then your time runs out at eleven, not twelve. unless, of course, there's some box i didn't check somewhere that can account for that.

Won'd. Second year in a row, oh yeah I'm on a roll. ;D

EDIT: Cheat on your timezone, Cirrus! It's still only 5:00 for me, you can borrow my timezone if you want.

I could definitely do 1667 words a day, the problem is that I seem to have a very short attention span when it comes to these things, so I get distracted really easily.

Hey, I have ADHD and I still manage to not get distracted (very much) while writing. xD

theoretically, this is untrue. the average speed it seems is around 2K per hour, and it's 5:00 now. you'd be finished at 11:30 if you did a NONSTOP WRITING MARATHON.

I don't think I've ever written 2000 in an hour... I usually don't even manage 2000 in a day. The most I've ever written in one day was around 2800 words.

I probably type fast enough to do it, though... so if I was just typing random words instead of part of a story, I wouldn't have any problem getting to 50,000. I guess if I was writing something where I could just make random "filler" stuff up as I go along, that could work, but... I'm not. Maybe I'll try that next year.

Also, apparently I am in your timezone, since your post says it was made at 5:10 in my timezone.

I probably type fast enough to do it, though... so if I was just typing random words instead of part of a story, I wouldn't have any problem getting to 50,000. I guess if I was writing something where I could just make random "filler" stuff up as I go along, that could work, but... I'm not. Maybe I'll try that next year.
The world is full of people who think that stringing together 50k words in non-random order is writing. Don't contribute to it. Write something coherent, even if it's a rough first draft.

I never get anywhere with NaNoWriMo. :/ I do write regularly, though. ... not much original fiction, but that's mainly because I keep trying to be ~*subversive*~ and really it is 90% cliche crap. But that's okay, because it's ~*satirical*~. Sigh. One day, I will write up a decent outline and scrap 95% of it until I have a coherent plot that isn't another goddamn high fantasy thing.

The world is full of people who think that stringing together 50k words in non-random order is writing. Don't contribute to it. Write something coherent, even if it's a rough first draft.

Gah, something I said on the Internet got taken the wrong way again. That seems to be happening a lot lately.

Anyway... I wasn't saying I would try writing random junk that doesn't even fit together just to get to 50,000 next year. Probably should've put a "but I'm not going to do that" or something after the "writing a bunch of random words" part to clear that up a little.

I was saying that I might try to write something that has at least a little bit of "wiggle room" to put in made-up-as-I-go-along stuff in between the important parts. It'd still be one coherent story, it just wouldn't be nearly as... structured, I guess, as the whole "fighting tournament" setup I had this year.

With every chapter being one match from the tournament (except for the occasional "break" chapter after every 8-12 fights), there wasn't really any room to add in anything else if I couldn't figure out how to start a chapter off or just didn't feel like writing another fight scene that day.

I made it! :D I was writing right up until the last minute, I think my final wordcount was sent in at 11:59. Which is a bit unnerving.

I can't believe I wrote 10,000 words in one day! And like, a solid 5k for the few days before that! Screw what people say about not leaving things until right before the deadline, it gives me that sense of panic and adrenaline that I need to go into overdrive typathon mode.

And a big well done to everyone else who met their respective targets!

Congratulations to everyone that participated in NaNoWriMo!

My friend participated and got around 10,000 words. She's depressed about it, but I tell her to cheer up because it's 10,000 words she wouldn't have written without Nano!

I can't wait for Createspace!

Congrats to everyone who participated, especially the winners!

I have to say, even with only getting 1705 words, I'm extremely pleased. Although I gave up after the first day (like last year), I managed to come back for another session midway through the month (unlike last year)! And I (eventually) wrote more than the 1st day's requirement (unlike last year). Plus I submitted part of my story (approx. 1000 words, which was a self-contained episode that I intended as a story-within-the-story before I gave up) to my school's literary magazine and they're going to print it in the spring issue!

Haaah, I didn't do as well as I wanted to, but I actually didn't completely give up! =D It became less of a "get to 50000" thing and more of a "keep making progress on the story" thing. Of course, that meant I forgot about sending in wordcounts until today, which isn'tgoing to do me any good. The difference would probably be less than 1000 words anyway…but I've learned to work through writer's block and keep writing (slowly), which will hopefully help me do better next year when I don't have two weeks of living at the theater to perform.

Congrats, everybody!

I'm glad I did it this year. I've gotten 15,858 words at the thirtieth, which is about 14.5k more than last year, so I've so met my goal. And it's much harder to do with short stories. You have to think of so many endings. :/ I'm also thinking of turning one of the short stories (my personal favorite) into a novel. It's hilarious and really awesome. I think it would work better as a novel because of how it's written and the types of events that occur. I'll probably start writing more of it after New Year's because of my project I have planned for 2010.

So guys.

I'm pissed off.

Because I just realized that my story is freaking perfect for a Mafia game of epic proportions. It has actual mafias and investigators and protectors and even a guy who goes batshit and tries to kill everyone, as well as room for experimenting with some other cool roles you don't usually see around here, built right into it. It would have room for a lot of people and there could potentially be, like, eight kills in one night if the cards fall the right way and would generally be awesome.

And I can't post the game because I haven't finished the story yet. ;-;

aaaah must finish revision for great mafia justice

(Oh, well. At least trying to work out some of the roles is helping me with some of the plot holes and dead spots in the story itself.)

Back
Top Bottom