• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

In Progress [T] Secret of Relique

KayKay

I have this posted in PokeCommunity so if you go there you might possibly have seen it before.

It has a different rating from the one there because over there, you have to give a rating for the whole fic and not just individual chapters (so it has to be M over there and not T). Individually, most of my chapters are T rating or less (possibly less because I'm not 100% sure, so just did T to be safe. I'm probably being a bit extreme there, it's probably not as bad as a T). But there will be the odd chapter that will be rated M, so far because of one strong cuss word. This will be clearly labelled at the start of such chapters.

I won't post all chapters I have so far at once. I'll post chapters 1 and 2 together since I kind of wish now I had made it just all one chapter. I think its best read that way.

---

Chapter 1

“I’m sorry Pepper I know you don’t like this…”

The candle-light ambience in the room was snuffed when the charmander was returned to his poke ball. Silence and darkness was vital for Beth’s plan. Her room, littered with books, was left in its state of disarray. Beth slung her backpack over her shoulder. She had put on her softest sneakers to creep past the creaky floor board.

This was it, and so had it been many times before when she turned back. “This time” she thought to herself. Deep down she could feel tugging in her heart, drawing her back to her room. Comfort and security and fond memories. This was going to hurt her parents in big ways. She was overcome with shaking.

And she was out the door.

As Beth exited the apartment block, she had a feeling she had never felt before. Her mind buzzed with anxiety. She couldn’t shake off the feeling that her mind was telling her - that this was very wrong. Like some kind of cosmic message from the universe was urging her to turn back. But at the same time, she couldn’t turn back. She was too desperate for answers.

At a sufficient distance down the street, the street light was accompanied by the light of a flame.

“I’m sorry Pepper. Are you okay now?”

Pepper the charmander obediently nodded, checking himself over to see everything was still there. Afterwards he looked up. His eyes gave the impression of understanding and awareness of Beth’s plan.

“Okay first, we go to Vermilion Port. That way we can catch a boat to the Relique region.”

She unfolded her map and handed it down to Pepper.

“See, I’ve drawn the route we’re going to take once we get to Relique. We can finally find out just what happened over there.”

Pepper looked at the map, turning it around at all angles, appearing to be deep in thought.

“It’s okay Pepper, I’ll keep us right.”

Pepper growled and murmured, trying to communicate with Beth as they walked.

Nothing had been the same since the move eight years ago. Shortly after moving to Kanto, the Relique region declared war with Kanto, Johto, and many other regions around the world. Her home had been Relique for half of her young life. She felt a strong connection - a pull. It pained her inside to know her home was at war, even if it lead to no bloodshed. And it pained her even more that despite all of her research, she could not find any conclusive reason as to why war was declared. The only thing that ended the war was a shift in power and after that, it became a “closed region”. Media coverage, even for educational value, anywhere outside Relique about Relique was strictly prohibited.

Travel and tourism still occurred, but security was tight - people had reported even their cameras were confiscated by security before boarding to go back home, just because their family photos of their visit there happened to catch street names or distinguished buildings in the background.

The reason remained a mystery to many. In most cases, any information found had to be taken with a pinch of salt. Even the map she was about to rely on had been illegally downloaded off the internet, and she didn’t know how accurate or up to date it was.

It required a five hour long coach ride to get to Vermilion. By time the coach made its final stop, the sky was already beginning to brighten. The clouds lit up a brilliant pink before the sun broke the horizon.

“I can’t feel my legs!” One passenger commented as everyone exited the coach.

“I can’t feel my ass…” Beth mumbled under her breath. In this instance, Pepper would probably have preferred to stay inside his poke ball, though he would argue against that if he could.

Setting her feet on the gravel path, it took some time to sink in that this was real. She really was this far from home, without her parent’s consent. It was sickening but exciting all at once. Part of her wanted to scream like a little girl and wail to be taken back home to “mommy” and “daddy”, and it took all of her willpower to suppress it and keep a level head. Another part of her saw a whole new journey ahead of her, and opportunity she had to take for herself… and trust in herself.

Beth looked around her, the parking lot was surrounded by trees and shrubs. The fresh morning air was as of yet untainted by traffic and smoke. To her right, a vast dark blue plane like none she had seen since she was just little.

“The sea…” Beth whispered. She swallowed the lump in her throat.

In her awe, she almost forgot something. Reaching into her backpack she brought out a poke ball.

“Sorry again, Pepper!” She apologised , releasing her pokemon.

“Growl…” Pepper yawned, as if he had just woken up.

The gravel parking lot led down to a small village area with basic amenities. Shops and houses lined a main centre area. The little dock housed mostly small fishing and private boats. The shops were not open yet, but the pokemon centre was always open. They could at least get a drink of water from the water dispensary there.

“You, trainer!”

Despite not being a trainer, Beth knew it was her being yelled at. She turned to see what the fuss was about.

“Aha!” Her gaze was met by the gaze of another. “We have locked eyes! You HAVE to battle me!”

A large, slightly chubby man in sports gear and a beanie hat roared with glee and laughter, as if he had just struck gold.

“I am NOT a trainer.” Beth bluntly informed him. She’s encountered this situation before, no use tip-toeing around the issue.

“Ahahah… huh?” The man seemed to deflate to about half the size. “…Oh.”

“I’m sorry you’ll have to find someone else.” Beth cautiously picked up Pepper into her arms and started to quickly walk away, a little worried.

“Um.. Hey wait!” The man jogged after her. “But… you just got off the bus, you’re on your own who protects you?”

“I protect me.” Beth quickened her pace, en route to the pokemon centre.

She heard a snort come from next to her. Something she had said seemed highly amusing to this guy. At that moment she stopped, a little shocked.

“Are you this rude to everyone you meet?” She asked.

“You WEREN’T joking?!” Suddenly things didn’t seem so amusing to him any more. “Yeesh, you‘d think you‘d never been outside on your own before…”

Beth wasn’t sure what he was getting at, but she was tired and now beginning to get annoyed. He was right, she’d never been out alone before, but so what? Lots of people got on just fine without pokemon to protect them… didn’t they?

“I don’t like fighting.” Getting that out of the way, she hoped he would leave it at that, and that she could get to herself and her pokemon some rest. She swerved out of his way and power walked down the road.

She could hear him yelling to her from the top of the road.

“You won’t last five minutes out there!”

The back of her neck bristled. The nerve! But then she considered, that’s just what he might have wanted. Maybe he was taunting her into battling. As if there was nobody else to battle around here…

Chapter 2

After a quick rest, the two set off for the next bus as early as possible. The shops were only just opening. Beth bought a $1.50 pastry cake from the bakery before finding the bus station.

The bus was still to arrive. It wouldn’t take long this time - it would take them straight to the seafront at Vermilion!

Suddenly, Beth didn’t feel so hungry any more and wrapped up her breakfast to finish later. It just occurred to her that round about now would be the time that mom and dad would find out she wasn’t at home. She didn’t know if it was just tiredness or if it was guilt, but she started to feel nauseous. She forced down the lump forming in her throat. Stay positive, she reminded herself. It was difficult to ignore the nagging fluttering in her chest.

Beth did not board the bus right away since the driver told her he’d be waiting a little while for passengers. This morning was turning out to be warm and slightly stuffy. Beth predicted the ride might be a little uncomfortable. She took a swig of water before handing the bottle to Pepper, who took a smaller swig of water. Being a fire pokemon and a reptile, he didn’t need much water - he never needed to sweat for starters.

“That pokemon can’t come on the bus” the driver informed as he stepped out to light his cigarette. Beth just quietly nodded in response. She hated having to return Pepper to his poke ball all the time.

Inside the air conditioning was blowing a cool breeze about the bus. It was actually a little cooler in the bus than outside, which was a nice relief. Beth chose to sit by a window out of the sunlight. As passengers started to fill up the seats someone plonked down next to Beth.

“Fancy seeing you here.”

A little confused Beth turned around. The second her eyes met with the passenger her head turned away from him towards the window. She took the brief moment to groan silently to herself before turning back to him again smiling cautiously at the man who had challenged her to a match earlier that morning.

“Yeah.. Funny…” she replied half-heartedly. She cringed inside at how antisocial she sounded, but she had not slept well so far. A nap was about all she wanted right now. Now it seemed she’d have to wait for the boat before she’d get any rest.

“So you got family in Vermillion or something?” he nosily asked her.

Beth figured there would be no point in not answering her question. Perhaps, the quicker he knew she didn’t want to talk the better. Simple, quick answers should be enough of a hint.

“No” Beth said in a flat tone.

“Well… why are you going then? The gym? Oh, wait, you’re not a trainer.” He took a moment to think. “Now I get it! You’re a member of the Pokemon Fan Club aren’t you?”

“No” Beth’s tone became slightly more irritable.

“Then what?” This man clearly wasn’t taking a hint.

Beth carefully rubbed between her eyebrows. “I’m going to Relique and I need to catch a boat.” Hopefully, she though, that would settle it.

“HEEEY! ME TOO!”

Beth nearly cried.

The whole bus ride was Beth listening to David (as he introduced himself to be) talk about the adventures he was going to embark on in Relique. Of how he was a “master” pokemon trainer who had “beaten the Elite Four” in Kanto and of how there was nothing more for him to do in Kanto. Of how he would defeat all of the gyms in Relique. Beth tried her best to simply ignore and not interject her disbelief. As if he would have challenged her to a match if he was so powerful. As if.

Even when they disembarked from the coach David was still running his mouth off. Even after Beth had stopped listening and was tending to her charmander before boarding the boat, he was still talking about how he would be her bodyguard.

Hold on, wait, what?

“Bodyguard? You must be joking!” Beth laughed for the first time since the start of her journey.

Pepper seemed to laugh along with her.

Beth didn’t even bother to stick around to hear David respond - she simply placed her hand at the back of Pepper’s head to motion for him to follow her. She was starting to not really care how rude she sounded. A sleep was really all she wanted now.

This particular dock wasn’t very busy - there wasn’t a lot of travel between Kanto and Relique. Many people were huddled under the shelters to hide from the summer sun, while a few had already started to board. The gap between the boat and the platform was bridged by a wooden walkway that rumbled as suitcases were wheeled over it.

David was nowhere to be found, to Beth’s relief. The ride would be no longer than a few hours. Pokemon were allowed outside on the deck, and she had left her charmander to do as he pleased as she rested on one of the benches. She knew he would behave himself.

Finally a moment to relax…

Back
Top Bottom