• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Question Box

Zhorken

groove out!
Pronoun
they or she
The Question Box
The Question Box belongs to a tiny room in the Referee HQ building, and sits upon an old wooden desk with a slot in the top for submissions. If battlers have a question about the intricacies of battling - Can a Pokémon avoid the effects of Stench by pinching its nose? No? What if they stuff something up their nostrils? - they should take a slip of paper from the stack, write down their question, and wait until the Head Referee/ASB Council gets around to answering it. The answers to old questions are also kept here, written on old sheets of parchment and tacked up onto the walls.

Since the Attacks & Abilities Guide is now integrated into the database, all questions about battling should be asked here. Answers by The Head Referee/Referee Council should be taken as official rulings and apply to all battles unless otherwise specified.

Wait. Crap. I thought shops that already exist were supposed to be on hold, too? I moved them all into the ASB Archive. /o\ My bad.

So, yeah, if anyone wants their business moved back out, just ask.

Last edited:
The description for the Iron Fist ability states it raises base power by 20. I assume that should be a 2%?

Yeah, there are still a lot of references to power that we need to go through. Just translate in your head for now.

EDIT: Also, hey, semi-related: how obvious is it that each move has its own page where the full description is?

EDIT: Also, hey, semi-related: how obvious is it that each move has its own page where the full description is?

Kinda. I can see that it is clickable, but yet it doesn't really say "oh look, you can click me!"

Wait. Crap. I thought shops that already exist were supposed to be on hold, too? I moved them all into the ASB Archive. /o\ My bad.

So, yeah, if anyone wants their business moved back out, just ask.

p. sure we agreed that existing businesses could do their thing? I could be wrong, and you have the final say anyway so uh

If existing businesses can go ahead I'd like Dragons' Den to be moved out?

Hi! I found a couple of things I wanna ask about:
  • In the Damage Guide, there's a part that reads: "If an attack would deal less than 1% energy to a target susceptible to it, it deals 1% damage instead". That's an error, right?
  • In the ASB Rules there's this: "The mechanics described in the next few paragraphs — marked by the brackets — are pending revisions". However, I can't actually see any brackets. Is that just me?
  • The ability Infiltrator is described as penetrating Light Screen, Reflect and Safeguard. Just to be clear, it also works on Mist and Substitute, right?
  • The ability Sturdy has the following effect: "Pokémon with this ability cannot be knocked out by any attack that would have done more than 10% damage to them". I think this needs some clarification. Does this mean that Sturdy has no effect when below 10% health? Also, does Sturdy negate the damage completely or leave you at 1% health? (I would assume that Sturdy fails when below 10% health and that it leaves you at 1% health.)

• No; it's trying to say that as long as a damaging move doesn't actually fail, it's guaranteed to do at least 1% damage, even if the target has +6 Defense or something. I'll try and reword it.
  • I guess I took care of all the brackets but forgot to take out that sentence. Thanks for the heads-up!
  • From the opening announcement: "Moves and abilities whose effects changed in X/Y have not been updated yet. For the time being, refs are free to stick to what the database says, or use their best judgement to ref them based on their Gen VI effects. If you're not sure how your ref will handle it, just ask them. (Plain old numbers, like power and accuracy, have been updated, however.)" I'll update Infiltrator now, though.
  • I'm... not sure. It could mean that if you're at 2% health, and the opponent uses an attack that *would* have done 10% if you actually had that much left, you'll be left with 1%. I would assume you're right, though; I'll ask the others which way they think it should go and reword it accordingly.

EDIT: But yes, it definitely does leave you with 1% health rather than negating the damage completely.

Last edited:
  • No; it's trying to say that as long as a damaging move doesn't actually fail, it's guaranteed to do at least 1% damage, even if the target has +6 Defense or something. I'll try and reword it.
That's what I thought. The text mentions energy instead of damage.
  • I'm... not sure. It could mean that if you're at 2% health, and the opponent uses an attack that *would* have done 10% if you actually had that much left, you'll be left with 1%. I would assume you're right, though; I'll ask the others which way they think it should go and reword it accordingly.

EDIT: But yes, it definitely does leave you with 1% health rather than negating the damage completely.
Alright. I figure it wouldn't make sense if, say, a Sturdy Pokémon could be knocked out by Peck but not by Hyper Beam!

So does Magic Guard block the extra energy like it does the health? Or does that even work in ASB, because it does in the game. If not my solosis is useless

Does the link below our avatars/profile information mean we don't have to post our ASB profile link with challenges?

I forgot how Speed works, are we doing a multiplier or is it just a +10 to the base speed for every stage? Thankfully either way my current reffing ends up the same, but I should probably know for the future.

Can Snatch steal an ally's move when used in a double or triple battle? Its descriptions on the database say it only steals opponents' moves, but according to Bulbapedia it also steals allies' moves when used in-game.

ETA: If a Pokemon is commanded to use Double Team twice, will the second time fail or multiplicatively increase the number of clones? Also, according to other sources Helioptile evolves with Sun Stone, not Thunder Stone.

Last edited:
Say a 10% substitute gets hit with 6% final damage, then 6% final damage again. Does the substitute just fade with nothing else or does the extra 2% hit the original pokemon?

Say a 10% substitute gets hit with 6% final damage, then 6% final damage again. Does the substitute just fade with nothing else or does the extra 2% hit the original pokemon?

The substitute just fades.

Dazel said:
Does the link below our avatars/profile information mean we don't have to post our ASB profile link with challenges?
Correct!

Keldeo said:
Also, according to other sources Helioptile evolves with Sun Stone, not Thunder Stone.
Whoops, I'll fix that later.

is play rough supposed to 30% in asb (other sources claim 10% in games), or is that an error?
That's an error; I ripped effect chances from X/Y before I left veekun, so veekun would be correct in saying 10%.

(All the questions I didn't answer would be better answered by a more experienced ref)

Back
Top Bottom