• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

NaNoWriMo 2017

Sandstone-Shadow

A chickadee in love with the sky
Pronoun
she/her
November is in two weeks, folks!

NaNoWriMo

Who is going to be writing a novel this month?

I'm not sure if I'm going to this year. I still am revising my novel from the past like 5 years and I really, really want to finish it, but I'm not sure how to fit it into the structure of NaNo again. Considering doing some kind of "revise x pages, write x words" hybrid, but I haven't decided how I want that to work.

Alternatively, I could just try and write something completely new. Maybe it'll re-energize me? I also need to be applying for jobs so that takes time too, maybe I'll do cover letters as my NaNo... x_x

How about all of you?

I'm going to finish writing (the first draft of) my fanfic! I'm actually just now running out of material from when I focused on it in 2015, so this is great timing, heh. There's this kind of awkward bridge section between the two parts of the story that I've written and which has been bugging me for a while; I think trying to blast straight through it is the best approach to getting it done, finally.

I'm not sure if I'm going to this year. I still am revising my novel from the past like 5 years and I really, really want to finish it, but I'm not sure how to fit it into the structure of NaNo again. Considering doing some kind of "revise x pages, write x words" hybrid, but I haven't decided how I want that to work.
FWIW when I'm working on editing I usually set myself a goal for number of lines dealt with--my text editor doesn't do pages but does number lines, so this is what's convenient for me. Editing a specific number of pages and/or writing some specific number per day might work, or maybe you could assign a word count to a page of editing and do edits some days, writing others... For me I pretty much have to be "only edit" or "only draft," so I don't think I could set a daily goal to do both, but it does work for some people!

One way or another I hope you figure something out and get to do something creative in November in addition to your job apps (with which good luck, by the way!).

I'm going to finish writing (the first draft of) my fanfic! I'm actually just now running out of material from when I focused on it in 2015, so this is great timing, heh. There's this kind of awkward bridge section between the two parts of the story that I've written and which has been bugging me for a while; I think trying to blast straight through it is the best approach to getting it done, finally.

That sounds like an awesome NaNo project! That's kind of what I've done with my story in previous NaNos, tried to fill in gaps. It worked pretty well!

So I remembered that NaNo has their little custom goal trackers still. I theoretically could set up a goal for the revisions that I want to get done, for whenever I want, and I could use NaNo for an actual writing project. Hmm. It's time to scroll through my entire Evernote account and see what interesting tidbits I have hidden away, haha. I think if I try something new, I'm going to restrict myself to making it very simple. I could use the motivation that comes with finishing and sharing something! That's hard to do with large complex things haha.

And thanks! I think I will do something creative either way. I have to remember to not lose focus on the job apps though! Employment. Gah.

In other NaNo news, one of my IRL friends is participating for the first time and I'm very excited :D

(plopping this little guy here so that next year when I make another one, I can still find her~)

Okay so it's November.

I'm... gonna try both? Revising and writing new? I'm just so attached to my old story, and I have a shiny fancy custom goal tracker all set up for it... and because I love clean, trackable numbers, I don't want to mess up my actual wordcounts with things that actually aren't words, because god forbid what if my total wordcount shoots up and I forget that the "words" I wrote this year aren't actually words?! yes that would be pretty bad and actually doesn't matter at all but I care so

So. So I'm going to try both and this is almost certainly going to immediately not work. Uhhhh.

I'm also tempted to do this because my heart really isn't into starting something new right now, or really writing at all :[ so maybe this will be a good enough boost to START something new and keep going on my old project at the same time. Maybe.

Good luck! Looks like you've got some words, at least, so you're making progress!

I did quite well on the first day, with 2,297 words, but I don't expect that number to move much if at all over the next few days. I have two pieces to edit, and they're both quite long, and I'm not going to get back into proper drafting until they're done. But it's nice to throw a few words up there anyway, I suppose.

Since I'm in Australia right now, I also got to start writing waaaay earlier than everyone else, which was kind of fun. It's going to be really confusing comparing my progress to other people's over the course of the challenge, though!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom