• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Page 51

"Well, Garion?" Silk asked then, his eyes penetrating, 'what do we do now?'

'Why are you asking me?'

'You heard her. Belgarath's still in a daze, and she's busy. You're in charge now."

'Me?'

'What do we do?' Silk pressed. 'You've got to learn to make decisions.'

'I don't know.' Garion floundered helplessly.

'Never admit that,' Silk told him. 'Act as if you know - even if you don't.'

'We - uh - we'll wait until it gets dark, I guess - then we'll keep going the same way we have been.'

'There.' Silk grinned. 'See how easy it is?'

Castle of Wizardry by David Eddings.

Bad News Travels Fast
9:59 AM
Back in Elmwood Springs, Elner's neighbors Ruby Robinson and Tot Whooten had recieved the news about Elner, even before Norma and Macky. Earlier that morning, after the ambulance left with Elner, Ruby and Tot had gone inside and Ruby had called her nurse friend, Boots Carroll, who worked at Caraway Hospital, and told her that her neighbor Mrs. Shimfissle was on the way and to be on the lookout for her. As a professional courtesy, Boots called her back and informed her that the word had just come out of ER that her Mrs. Shimfissle had officially coded at 9:47, and Boots read her the report over the phone. When Ruby put the phone down, she turned to Tot, who was sitting at the kitchen table, and shook her head. "She didn't make it."
"Oh no.... What happened?"
"Anaphylactic shock. That many wasp stings all at once, her heart just stopped."
"I don't believe it. Are they sure?"
"Oh yes, Boots said she was practically a DOA, never had a chance from the get-go. I knew her pulse was weak, but I
-------------------
Look in my signature to get it.

Hmm, it happens to be the Wii operations manual...

It contains a spanish version of "How to attach the scanner to the wii and where to place it."

I really do like this thread.
------------------------
"Fortunately," said Dumbledore, "there is a simple test."
He placed his empty glass ona small table beside his chair, but before he could do anything else, Uncle Vernon shouted, "Will you get these ruddy things off us?"
Harry looked around; all three of the Dursleys were cowering with their arms over their heads as their glasses bounced up and down on their skulls, their contents flying everywhere.
"Oh, I'm so sorry," said Dumbledore politely, and he raised his wand again. All three glasses vanished. "But it would have been better manners to drink it, you know."
It looked as though Uncle Vernon was bursting with any number of unpleasant retorts, but he merely shrank back into the cushions with Aunt Petunia and Dudley and said nothing, keeping his small piggy eyes on Dumbledore's wand.
"You see," Dumbledore said, turning back to Harry and again speaking as though Uncle Vernon had not uttered, "if you have indeed inherited the house, you have also inherited -"
He flicked his wand for a fifth time. There was a loud crack, and a house-elf appeared, with a snout for a nose, giant bat's ears, and enormous bloodshot eyes, crouching on the Dursleys' shag carpet and covered in grimy rags. Aunt Petunia let out a hair-raising shriek; nothing this filthy had entered her house in living memory. Dudley drew his large, bare, pink feet off the floor and sat with them raised almost above his head, as though he thought the creature might run up his pajama trousers, and Uncle Vernon bellowed, "What the hell is that?"
"Kreacher," finished Dumbledore.
"Kreacher won't, Kreacher won't, Kreacher won't!" croaked the house-elf, quite as loudly as Uncle Vernon, stamping his long,
------------

It's kind of obvious what book this is.

"The two vector component equations are worth knowing, because you see them a lot in any begining physics course. Make sure you know how they work, and always have them at your fingertips."
"Physics for Dummies", Steven Holzner, PhD.
Yeah, this is what I read in my spare time...

Ruskin grinned and departed, looking like a rattling stack of folios balanced on two small bent legs. Elda shut her door and flew back to her bed. But she found he had woken her just enough to stop her getting back to sleep again. She lay couched on her stomach, thinking crossly about the mess her room was in. Soon she was thinking what a long time it was until breakfast and then how lucky it was that she still had some oranges. After that there was nothing for it but to get up and tread carefully about, eating an orange. After that she thought she would try to get at least some of the ninety-nine pools of wax out of the carpet. That, even with efficient griffin talons, took more than half an hour of scraping and scratching, but there was still a long time until breakfast. Elda began hopping between spells, collecting the other forty-odd books from the library into piles. This was how she discovered Policant's Philosophy of Magic. Ruskin had missed it because it looked very much like the other, more ordinary books.

Year of the Griffin by Diana Wynne Jones. Elda is, of course, a griffin, and Ruskin is a dwarf.

I've got the Kanto Guide for Heartgold and Soulsilver. Here's a passage:

"As you walk north along the bluff on the east side of Route 14, you'll spot Suicune. If you try to get close, it runs off to the north. Eusine is pursuing it too-Suicune prefers being near water and Eusine thinks it's headed for a hill to the north."

The closest book to me within eyesight was my Passport To Your National Parks. Which is sort of like a passport in that you collect stamps from everywhere you go, but totally different in that if someone stole it they'd have a hard time finding a buyer.

Excerpt:
Midwest Region
[graphic]
Illinois - 1 Lincoln Home NHS, Springfield Indiana - 2
George Rogers Clark NHP, Vincennes 3 Indiana Dunes NL,
Porter 4 Lincoln Boyhood N MEM, Lincoln City Iowa -
...and so on and so forth, until Saint Croix NSR. I am NOT typing out all those parks and all those little bold numbers.
...I've got two stamps from the Midwest Region, on page 55. Both of them are from Saint Louis. Kinda sad I haven't been to the sites here in Ohio.

Calia sat up on the bed, her face wet. "I'm sorry you had to see that, Arthas, but m-maybe it's for the best."​
"What did father want to you to do?£​
"He wishes me to marry against my will."​
Arthas blinked. "Calie, you're only sixteen, you're not even old enough to get married."​

From Arthas: Rise of the Lich King by Christie Golden. lmao.

NURSE: "Adrenalin Doctor?"
DR. BENWAY: "The night porter shot it all up for kicks." He looks around and picks up one of those rubber vaccum cups at the end of a stick they use to unstop toilets... He advances on the patient... "Make an incision, Doctor Limpf," He says to his appalled assistant... "I'm going to massage the heart."
Doctor Limpf shrugs and begins the incision. Doctor Benway washes the suction cup by swishing it around in the toilet bowl...
NURSE: "Shouldn't it be sterilized, doctor?
DR BENWAY: "Very likely but there's no time." He sits on the suction cup like a cane seat watching his assistant make the incision... "You young squirts couldn't lance a pimple without an electric vibrating scalpel with automatic drain and suture.. Soon we'll be operating by remote control on patients we never see... We'll be nothing but button pushers. All the skill is going out of surgery... All the know-how and make-do... Did I ever tell you about the time I performed an appendectomy with a rusty sardine can? And once I was caught short without instrument and removed a uterine tumour with my teeth. That was in the Upper Effendi, and besides...
DR. LIMPF: "The incision is ready Doctor."

From Naked Lunch by William Burroughs. I have a bunch of books on top of my scanner, but I think this is the best one to quote out of context.

Last edited:
Well, the book nearest me at the moment is my mom's address book (exciting, right? [/sarcasm]). So I'll run into my room and get the first book I see. And:

"Most great and glorious
Zeus, and you other immortal gods, may the brains
Of those who first violate this oath be poured out
On earth as now this wine is poured, theirs
And their children's too, and may others posses their wives."

-The Iliad. Not the most exciting page. Too bad, it can get pretty gruesome in some parts.

35,000+ Baby Names. Yes, I've basically studied and memorized this book. It's the very book that my mother bought when she was pregnant with me and got the idea for my effed-up name.

Davina (Scottish) a form of Davida. See also Vina.
Dava, Davalinda, Davalynn, Davannah, Davean, Davee, Daveen, Daveena, Davene, Daveon, Davey, Davi, Daviana, Davie, Davin, Davinder, Davine, Davineen, Davinia, Davinna, Davonna, Davria, Devean, Deveen, Devene, Devina
Davonna (Scottish, English) an alternate form of Davina, Devonna.
Davon, Davona, Davonda
Dawn (English) sunrise, dawn.
Dawana, Dawandrea, Dawanna, Dawin, Dawna, Dawne, Dawnee, Dawnele, Dawnell, Dawnelle, Dawnetta, Dawnisha, Dawnlynn, Dawnn, Dawnrae, Dawnyel, Dawnyella, Dawnyelle
Dawna (English) an alternate form of Dawn.
Dawnna, Dawnya
Dawnisha (American) an alternate form of Dawn.
Dawni, Dawniell, Dawnielle, Dawnisia, Dawniss, Dawnita, Dawnysha, Dawnysia
Dayna (Scandinavian) a form of Dana.
Dayne, Daynna
Deana (Latin) divine. (English) valley. A feminine form of Dean.
Deane, Deanielle, Deanisha, Deanna, Deena
Deandra (American) a combination of Dee + Andrea.
Deandre, Deandre(with an accent), Deandrea, Deandree, Deandria, Deanndre, Diandra, Diandre, Diandrea
Deanna (Latin) an alternate form of Deana, Diana.
De, Dea, Deaana, Deahana, Deandra, Deandre, Deann, Deanne(with an accent), Dee, Deeann, Deeanne
Debbie (Hebrew) a short form of Deborah.
Debbee, Debbey, Debbi, Debby, Debee, Debi, Debie
Deborah (Hebrew) bee. Bible: a great Hebrew prophetess.
Deb, Debbie, Debbora, Debborah, Deberah, Debor, Debora, Deboran, Deborha, Deborrah, Debra, Debrea, Debrena, Debria, Debrina, Debroah, Devora, Dobra

"The American Marxist Harry Braverman (1974) supports the proletarianization thesis on the grounds that many routine non-manual jobs have become deskilled. According to Braverman, clerical workers in 1870 shared many similarities with manual craft workers: both had wide-ranging responsibilites and plenty of oppurtunity to use their initiative and develop their skill. As such, they were valued members of the workforce."

Haralambos & Holborn (2008) Sociology: Themes and Perspectives (Seventh Edition) Chapter I: Social Stratification, p.51

This book is 954 pages long and reads very much the same throughout.

It's a LEGO catalog.

The NXT 2.0 Technology
NXT Intelligent Brick
32 bit microprocessor 4 input ports/3 output ports Matrix display USB and Bluetooth Speaker.
Interactive Servo Motors
Allowed for precise control of robot
Built-in rotation sensor can measure one-degree steps.
Touch Sensor x 2
Reacts to touch or release
Ultrasonic Sensor
Measures distance and movement. Detects objects.
NEW!
Color Sensor
Detects different colors and light intensity. Use it as a Color Sensor, Light Sensor or as a lamp.

Here was another puzzling question; and, as Alice could not think of any good reason, and the Caterpillar seemed to be in a very unpleasant state of mind, she turned away.

"Come back!" the Caterpillar called after her "I've something important to say!"

This sounded promising, certainly. Alice turned and came back again.

"Keep your temper," said the Caterpillar.

"Is that all?" said Alice, swallowing down her anger as well as she could.

"No," said the Caterpillar.

---

Found a 1946 boxed set at Strand :D

Preteens

ARTS - CLAY HANDBUILDING
Centuries-old techniques are taught and both functional and decorative clay projects are created.
Richmond Arts Center, 9-12 years.
July 12-July 23......M-F....3:15-5:15pm...........$147/10 sess...........31552.

I'm not going to type out the rest as this is a ridiculously long registration booklet on registering for summer programs in my town.

More common than titles are situations and quotations. Poetry is absolutely full of Scripture. Some of that is perfectly obvious. John Milton took most of his subject matter and a great deal of material for his great works from you-know-where: Paradise Lost, Paradise Regained, Samson Agonistes. Moreover, our early literature in English is frequently about, and nearly always informed by, religion. Those questing knights in Sir Gawain and the Green Knight and The Faerie Queen are searching on behalf of their religion whether they know it or not (and generally they do know). Beowulf is largely about the coming of Christianity into the old paganism of Northern Germanic society--after being about a hero overcoming a villain. Grendel, the monster, is descended from the line of Cain, we're told. Aren't all villains? Even Chaucer's The Canterbury Tales (1384), while neither they nor their tales inevitably holy, are making an Easter pilgrimage to Canterbury Cathedral, and much of their talk invokes the Bible and religious teaching.
From Thomas C. Foster's How to Read Literature Like a Professor. Why did I just type that up?

I'd never really thought much about meat. It was there in the supermarket in a plastic wrapper; it came between slices of bread with mayo and mustard and a dill pickle on the side; it sputtered and smoked on the grill till somebody flipped it over, and then it appeared on the plate, between the baked potato and the julienne carrots, neatly cross-hatched and floating in a puddle of red juice. Beef, mutton, pork, venison, dripping burgers and greasy ribs-- it was all the same to me, food, the body's fuel, something to savor a moment on the tongue before the digestive system went to work on it.
T. C. Boyle's Stories

Back
Top Bottom