• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

My Sprite Work

Smasher120

I'm a newbie, this is all I got.

Recolors:
WhiteOctilerrywithBlueSpots.png
MewtwowithRedTail.png
Pokabu_Yellow.jpg
PinkNinetails.png
BlueWeezing.png

Black Pokemon:
The colors are from Butterfree's black Pokemon sprites.

BlackBlastoise.png
BlackTotodile.png
BlackEspeon.png
BlackMachoke.png
BlackPersian.png
BlackMoltres.png
BlackPoliwrath.png
BlackAmpharos.png

Last edited:
They'd be good if you weren't using the Paint default colors. Tip for the future: don't do that. Make your own or take them from other sprites.

Yeah, I'm using Butterfree's color palletes now.

New sprite! I call it Blacktoise.
BlackBlastoise.png

EDIT: A Black Cat!!!
BlackPersian.png

And my best recolor EVER!!!
BlackMoltres.png

Last edited:
Your recolors are nice, but there's really no room for critique so here's some tips.

Make your own palette. Double-click on a color in Paint, which brings up the color chart. Go on Define Custom Colors and go nuts.

To make a palette look as smooth as possible, find a base color. In this case, red. Go on the Custom Colors chart, drag down the bar just a tiny bit so the change is noticeable but not too stark, and you get a nice shade of dark red. Then go up again to get pink. But that's not really a matching color, is it? In fact, let's go with a nice, warm shade of lightish orange to get the highlight. Fun fact: pink doesn't even appear in the natural spectrum.

Basically, you should follow this basic structure of outline:base:highlight. Always pick your base, then match your outline and highlight. Also, consider the surface you're spriting. Smooth surfaces always have a bigger highlight.

It helps to know a bit about the color theory when spriting, but I'm rambling now.

Back
Top Bottom