• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Nintendo 3DS

Oh great more 3D rubbish! Why does everything today have to be 3D!
I don't even understand how the heck it's supposed to work.

I heard it has GBA games on the VC.

And Nintendo would never sell that thing in the US for $300. They know that would alienate way too many people.

That depends. They do have to compensate for the money spent on the 3D technology, plus the graphics engine and anything else.

Remember when the PSP came out? That was $200~$250 at launch due to its capabilities, so the 3DS at $300 isn't that unreasonable.

I'll probably end up getting it even if there is a hefty price tag. :3 Maybe not right away but once a game comes out for it that I want I'll go buy it and hopefully then it'll be cheaper

Not to necropost, but I wanted to say I just pre-ordered mine and am excited about it.

It may be gimmicky, but it's still cool.

And GB/GBA games on virtual console ftw.

Also Ocarina of Time.

$250. I don't really know how to feel about this.

I'm really just waiting until I *hopefully* get a summer job, that way I can start figuring out if I'll have enough money for a 3DS and stuff.

I'm thinking though that I'm going to wait to see what is available for the older download games and to see the 3DS library before I decide. IF I don't like what I see, I'm thinking of getting a PSP just because it has old Playstation games that I love. And newer and good RPGs.

We'll see.

lol, did you expect cheaper? I was actually thinking something more like three hundred, but that's pretty cheap, tbph. I definitely won't be getting it, but two hundred would be quite a drop.

Me, I think I'm gonna wait for a PSP2, even though it'll probably expensive as fuck. :D

Me, I think I'm gonna wait for a PSP2, even though it'll probably expensive as fuck. :D
My hopes are low given Sony's current track record. And the original PSP was $250 (same price as 3DS), so yes, prepare for something obscene. And, honestly, I can't see touch-screen gaming (by finger and on one screen) being that intuitive. Touch-screen computing is overrated as it is for general usage.

$250 is exactly what I was hoping for. I mean, this thing is basically a portable Wii, with the addition of the 3D screens which aren't exactly the cheapest things in the world to make. GB VC, Star Fox, and AR games are pretty cool. I'm hoping to get this for my birthday like I did the DSi and the Wii before it, but I'll have to wait and see if we can gather up that money, given the poor economy and such.

I'm withholding judgement until I get my hands on it to actually test the 3D for myself, since none of the gameplay vids show the gimmick. It's nice that there's one friend code for the ENTIRE CONSOLE. And since I didn't have an N64 to play Ocarina of Time, I'll be able to. So now, I think I'll play with it in a store, but I'll likely wind up buying it.

Essentially, if it works, it's worth it. Otherwise it's the Virtual Boy all over again.

It's even better since it comes out on my birthday :)

I might get one. I feel inclined to buy one, if only for OoT, and the prospect of getting Continuum Shift 2 on the 3DS as well as PSP. But that depends.

Part of why I liked the DS so much is that there was such a massive surplus of niche titles, like Hotel Dusk, and plenty of JRPGs, both shitty (I wasn't too impressed with Luminous Arc, or Hoshigami Remix), and great (Soma Bringer and Steal Princess were a lot of fun, and A.S.H. was right up there with Knights in the Nightmare on my list).

I'm also dearly hoping IGA has some ideas for Metroidvania on the 3DS.

For me though, it really depends on the games that come out on it, and what kind. Love Nintendo's handhelds, but at the moment, looking at the launch lineup, there really aren't any reasons for me to get one as soon as possible. Continuum Shift 2 Portable maybe, but on top of it being import, I'm already getting it for PSP.

I'll probably end up getting it 3 years after it's come out after they release a little "upgrade" like the DS Lite where they improve it. That's usually what happens with me and consoles. Have to wait for the price to lower. The titles look interesting to me in any case, and they're going to release a new Kingdom Hearts game on it, probably Gen VI, and Ocarina of Time since I've been wanting to get into the Zelda series. So it's my type of thing.

Part of why I liked the DS so much is that there was such a massive surplus of niche titles, like Hotel Dusk, and plenty of JRPGs, both shitty (I wasn't too impressed with Luminous Arc, or Hoshigami Remix), and great (Soma Bringer and Steal Princess were a lot of fun, and A.S.H. was right up there with Knights in the Nightmare on my list).

For me though, it really depends on the games that come out on it, and what kind. Love Nintendo's handhelds, but at the moment, looking at the launch lineup, there really aren't any reasons for me to get one as soon as possible. Continuum Shift 2 Portable maybe, but on top of it being import, I'm already getting it for PSP.
WELL FU-HU-HUCK YOU THEN.

Sorry, I really enjoyed Luminous Arc. ;-;

So many things factor into buying a console/handheld, but it seems that so many forget the games that are actually being released on said systems. And, to be perfectly honest, there are very few announced games that interest me for the 3DS. Kid Icarus and Professor Layton are pretty much the only ones, and I can definitely do without Professor Layton.

Then I factor in everything else. I'm not sure if I've said this or not, but I've strongly disliked Nintendo, the 3DS included, for a couple of years now. They completely lack creativity, and so does the 3DS. It looks exactly the same, has the same shitty graphics, a horrible battery life, and for what? Fucking 3D!? Excuse my hostility, but really? Is that the best you can do, Nintendo?

And then I look at the PSP2. It's marvelous. Dual-analog, motion-sensing, huge OLED touchscreen AND a rear-touch screen (:D), and the things a fucking powerhouse. No, graphics probably will not "rival" the PS3's, but it'll come pretty damn close. And while the design is relatively the same, it's sleek, a good size, and I love it. And you know what? It'll probably be the most expensive thing ever made. But that's not the point. Sony's new handheld is innovative; it does so many things one couldn't imagine a handheld to do. It may revolutionize handheld gaming. And I know many of you don't care much for most of the things the PSP has to offer, but you have to give Sony some credit for what they're doing.

And then I look back at the 3DS, and I'm a bit disgusted, because it'll probably sell better than the PSP, probably because of the difference in price. But it doesn't matter to me; it'll be amazing, and the number of developers already planning games for the PSP2 is... large. :D

I really miss the way Nintendo used to be. You know, before the Wii (I.E. Gamecube, N64, etc.). They were such a great company, and now they seem to be deteriorating as the years progress. And I know, Sony isn't perfect, but at least they're bringing something new to the table (which is kind of ironic to say; anyone heard of a little thing Playstation Move?).

Vixie ♥;463241 said:
My hopes are low given Sony's current track record. And the original PSP was $250 (same price as 3DS), so yes, prepare for something obscene. And, honestly, I can't see touch-screen gaming (by finger and on one screen) being that intuitive. Touch-screen computing is overrated as it is for general usage.
I don't really want to get into a big discussion about this here, so I'ma go make a PSP2 topsik.

Last edited:
Dual analog sticks aren't innovative, large, high-res screens are not innovative, being a "powerhouse" is not innovative. They're nice, but you can't call them innovative.

Honestly, I don't see a situation where a nintendo handheld needs amazing graphics and a higher analog stick count. What exactly are we supposed to be playing here, full-out RTS games?

As I like to say, graphics don't matter for a truly good game. They /can/ be good even with horrible graphics. I mean, just look at half the stuff on the NES, notably Mother 1.

That said, I'm definitely getting a 3DS (which, may I add, will be the first time I purchase a console/handheld anywhere near launch), if only because my DS lite already has a broken hinge and a nigh-unusable touch screen (you should see how scratched it is).

Question: Does anyone know if the 3DS will be able to do wireless connection with the regular DS line? As in, I have Black in the 3DS and White in the DSi/Lite. Can they trade or wireless or something?

Dual analog sticks aren't innovative, large, high-res screens are not innovative, being a "powerhouse" is not innovative. They're nice, but you can't call them innovative.
In terms of handhelds man, in terms of handhelds. I obviously didn't mean the PSP2 is the first to have any this, that would be a ridiculous thing to say. It is the first, however, to do any of this on a handheld.

Honestly, I don't see a situation where a nintendo handheld needs amazing graphics and a higher analog stick count. What exactly are we supposed to be playing here, full-out RTS games?
Hey, why not? You wouldn't enjoy a console-quality game on a handheld? I'm under the impression that you have small idea of what a handheld should be. I mean hell, I can't change your opinion, but does a nintendo handhed need 3D?

Btw, dual-analog will be fun as hell, I don't know why anyone wouldn't want them.

As I like to say, graphics don't matter for a truly good game. They /can/ be good even with horrible graphics. I mean, just look at half the stuff on the NES, notably Mother 1.
That completely untrue. I'm not saying that a game isn't good if it doesn't have great graphics; I'm a huge fan of old-school RPGs, I can assuredly say graphics really don't influence my opinion on buying a game that much. But look at Mass Effect. Uncharted. Final Fantasy XIII. Grpahics are a major of those games, and they look outstanding. What if that same effect could be achieved on a handheld, which are known to have graphic sub-par, compared to a console?

Again, for me, the buying the 3DS is like buying another DS. They aren't bringing anything new too the table. While with the PSP2, they are.

Back
Top Bottom