• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

The Paranormal?

I am not saying that everything is more or less induced by supernatural spirits or anything, in fact i am myself pretty septical with everything linked to supernatural beings, and I agree that most of our fears of the past have been explained through scientific means.

I am saying that some cases have been scientifically unexplainable. Cases in which unexplainable phenomenons happened. In those cases, where we just can't logically explain what just happened, I tend to believe that some thing we just can't sense may be in presence. I do not reject a hypothetical logic explanation that our scientific advancement can't give us for the moment.

As for the total darkness thing, i'm just saying that in the case of divine/superior beings, we can't prove anything. Nor their existence or existence, and so in that case I am respectful of any opinion.

I pardon your post, serious business threads are made for arguing, and you weren'nt disrespectful. It's mostly my fault, I have some problems formulating my thoughts clearly because (ok you might think its a poor excuse but) English is not my native language nor a language that I speak daily, as I am living in a French province.

I am saying that some cases have been scientifically unexplainable. Cases in which unexplainable phenomenons happened. In those cases, where we just can't logically explain what just happened, I tend to believe that some thing we just can't sense may be in presence.

They are not scientifically unexplainable. Science is not an inexhaustible, all-knowing resource that we can dip into whenever something odd happens, it's the understanding that we currently have of our world - are you telling me that whenever you don't get something, you assume it must be the work of an unseen being, that science has somehow betrayed you?

Wouldn't it be more logical to assume that people have made mistakes, and that we just don't know how certain things have mystified us yet, rather than making this great assumption about things being paranormal?

I'm open to the possibility. I guess you could say that I believe in it.

More to the point, recently I tried to write an easy for school (I say try to because around that time my computer crapped out on me) about parapsychology. I argued that such phenomena should not be ignored if they don't fit within our current scientific knowledge. Really, several of these things can be identified as "natural" phenomena, but we shouldn't throw out all cases. It is simply a disgrace to science to not study and find a rational (or even irrational!) cause for paranormal occurrences.

But then they wouldn't be paranormal anymore, would they? The whole "paranormal" and "supernatural" terminology is, in of itself, a bad label. Why can't they be called unexplained phenomena? That would be a more proper label for any paranormal case (explainable and unexplainable) until there's an official explanation provided for it.

edit: fascinating read, Sofa. Gives me some food for thought.

Last edited:
Gee, I didn't know that (not that I made deep researches either), thanks. Well it's very convincing. But I still believe that there are things beyond logic. Not everything can be logical... yes?

What do you mean by 'logical'? If you mean that not everything can be scientifically explained, why?

Yes that is what I mean.

Why: That is where I can't explain clearly my point. I just have a feeling there's something else than just science. And this is the part I hate, because you can't support a feeling with strong arguments. Maybe i'm just too... hopeful. Hopeful of something that could make me believe in a brighter side of the humanity (here we completely deviate from the actual subject though), or something after death that would give me a reason to live being responsible of my acts.
Here im talking about some random superior being (not necessarily god or allah or whatever else).
Maybe I'm just too credulous, but eh, I can live with that.

Because humanity's capacity for creativity and love are limitless :D

Creativity and love are necessarily a product of the human mind. Perhaps we will never understand the explanation behind them, but we do know that there is an explanation. :D

Gee opaltiger where do you find all those mouth-shutting arguments...

They are so... Mouth-shutting. (this is a compliment)

no wait this is enekoiru-

no wait... O: you allied!!!

Gee, I didn't know that (not that I made deep researches either), thanks. Well it's very convincing. But I still believe that there are things beyond logic. Not everything can be logical... yes?

Eh, I think your concept of science is slightly off. Just because it can't be explained by the current rules of science doesn't mean that it can't be explained at all, period. If our current knowledge of the world can't explain paranormal stuff, then we might need to change it. Find a new particle. Make a new theory. Realize that mass is energy, electrons don't fly in concrete circles around atoms, and the world isn't made up of only four elements. Science isn't carved in stone; it can be revised and it has been, many many times in the past.

One problem with a lot of the so-called paranormal stuff is that it's not common enough for a good pool of evidence to be gathered, and thus isn't likely to be scientifically explained anytime soon.

You're absolutely right. Maybe there's an explanation to everything. Maybe everything is scientifically explainable.

And maybe not. The human being will never cease to learn. However, we never know what it might learn. Who knows? Maybe the existence of ghosts will be scientifically proved. God saves us from that day.

See this is why I never post anymore because I always somehow gloss over my points and people don't understand what I'm trying to say ;;

There is and explanation for everything. Whether we will ever find the explanation or not is another question altogether. Science is the process of finding that explanation.

Since I probably failed at explaining somehow, I'll try to illustrate it with a point. Take, for example, the flu. What causes the flu? People use science to find that it's microscopic organisms. Why does microscopic organisms cause the flu? People use science to find that the body's immune system attacks those microscopic organisms. Why does the body attack those microscopic organisms? Because foreign things might harm the body and thus the immune system attacks it to keep the body alive. How does the immune system know which is a normal human cell and which is a foreign thing? Because there's specific markers on human cells....

And so it goes. Any knowledge that's gained in this process is added to the pool of scientific knowledge, which we use to explain life. Now that we know the flu are caused by microscopic organisms, we realize that sacrificing goats to the God of Disease and Other Bad Things is not going to stop the flu from spreading.

Just because we didn't know what caused the flu doesn't mean that there isn't an explanation.

And maybe not. The human being will never cease to learn. However, we never know what it might learn. Who knows? Maybe the existence of ghosts will be scientifically proved. God saves us from that day.

I don't quite understand what you mean by this... Can you clarify it a bit?

Simple. The paranormal appearances do have a scientifical explanation, but the explanation might not be logical. Maybe the possibility of the spirit of dead persons interacting with living persons will be proved as scientifically possible.

"Logical" isn't the word you want. It might not fit or make any sense with what we know today, but that doesn't make it defy logic. I can't actually think of a single word that means that, come to think of it... "The explanation might not seem reasonable/sensible"?

Back
Top Bottom