• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

League of Legends or Dota 2?

Dar

oops, did it again
Pronoun
they
I'm sure this discussion has been made in the past, but I'm going to bring it up again.

So in short, which MOBA do you like more? LoL? Dota 2? Another, less popular one? Discuss.

I'll also be using your discussion to decide which one to play once I get a better computer (which will hopefully be soon.)

Well, my friend and I play Dota 2. I've only played about 35 hours of it, though. My other friend plays both. He says that Dota 2 is better, but he still likes League of Legends. The first friend I mentioned, whom I play Dota 2 with the most, has played a little bit of League but doesn't like it in comparison to Dota 2.

Not really a lot of information on the games themselves (none, actually), just opinions of people, but...do with that what you will.

I played DotA Allstars for the longest time, but I switched to LoL and that's what I play nowadays. Tried DotA 2 a little and it seems quite true to its source.

A quick Google search brings up this article, which I think makes several good points.

Short answer: I'd say LoL is a much more approachable game for beginners, because DotA is much more punishing; in DotA, mistakes are costly and will really set you back, while in LoL, it's easier to recover and turn the game around. Overall I think LoL has smooth, fun gameplay with less tedium and frustration. On the other hand, I think DotA has deeper strategy and complexity, perhaps making it more rewarding to master.

And, before I finish, something I'd like to add regarding champions/heroes: DotA's heroes have diverse and interesting skillsets that grant them very specific strengths and weaknesses and must be countered appropriately, whereas champions in LoL tend to fall into slightly more generic roles such as "damage-dealing spellcaster" or "tanky melee bruiser guy"; though they're still unique, it's usually fairly obvious at a glance what a particular champion is meant to do. On the other hand, champions in LoL always have abilities that scale with items, meaning they'll remain more or less significant even late in the game; in DotA, a spell that hits like a truck in the early game might become little more than a nuisance as the enemy heroes grow stronger.

I'd elaborate further but I'm pressed for time. Still, one last word of advice: whichever game you go with, be prepared for the steep learning curve! These games are hard on newbies, but getting into it is well worth the effort. Good luck!

Oh, yeah MD brings up a good point. I can vouch that in Dota 2 mistakes can make you want to pull your hair out later. Especially when it comes to buying items and picking which moves to level up when. And if you mess up too bad at the beginning, then you're pretty much screwed for the rest of the match.

Dota 2 is the only one I have played, so Dota. :p
That said, I have been unable to play for ages due to my computer being a bum.

Awesomenauts.

But given the choice between the two of those, LoL, because DOTA 2 seems more complex and less fun overall. (In other words i'm a scrub-nub)

The larger map combined with the lack-or-obfuscation of a snap-to-hero button are making it difficult for me to adjust to after playing lots of League.

If you double click on their icons at the top, you can snap to them. :) Just for allies though, of course.

*Dazzles out*

Back
Top Bottom