• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

ITT I describe all the countries I've been to in one sentence.

Tarvos

helt plötsligt blev det tyst
Ok, so I haven't been to a particularly large amount of countries (18 to be exact). They are all European and North American. Hopefully I can make it 19 in January as I am planning a Lisbon trip. But here I'll describe, in one or two sentences, the props (and slops) of the countries I've been too. Feel free to regard it as a general travel thread though. By the way - I didn't really go to any resort type places (Egypt, Tunisian resorts) because it's not my thing. And also I'm not a corporate fag.

Scotland counts separately. But it is not included because I have not been there yet.

I go by UN countries otherwise. If you have been to South Sudan, do include it.

So (in no particular order)

Netherlands - My hometown. The land of weed, mills and things. Though I do like my little piece of heaven, and there are many many things about this place that appeal to me, it's just a little too quaint. Nice architecture, though. Also, it does get boring very fast. I mean, landscape is not our forte.

Denmark - Went there as a baby. I hear it's like Netherlands with a weirder language. Must return. I will know better then.

Luxembourg - As a baby too. I'm sure it's lovely. I'm sure I shat in it.

Canada - Wonderful country. The food is bad and the people can be on the iffy side (but at least they're not overly religious), but plenty of hospitality to be found. The landscapes are gorgeous. Canada makes me feel very happy inside. Also, they speak English. And yes, I've been to Quebec, but Quebec French is crazy. I would heartily recommend Canada to the traveller. Lots of things to see and do - lots of space, too. If you like solitude, it is perfect. Winters are awful though. Be prepared for some real cold.

United States - There's been some very hospitable people, but customs are retarded, the government was/is a piece of shit, and the food is awful. Like in Canada, it gets better the further you go away from the big cities - Los Angeles, for my money, is a hellhole. I would not want to live in LA. The scenery is frequently gorgeous. I guess it's also a matter of being in the right state. As a rule, anything the US has, Canada does better, apart from the fact Canada has no hot deserts. It is ideal for road tripping and driving around, though.

Belgium - Netherlands' little cousin. Not my favourite place to be, but it sure works. And the government/language thing is absolutely stupid. They have good food, though. Belgium is just like the family member you like visiting often but sometimes you just get sick of it.

France - Great scenery, good food, pity the French live there. That's France. I don't really get why France is so highly rated by people. It can be quaint in the countryside, but if gastronomy is all I'm going for then I can think of better places than France. Not the worst country in existence, but I don't think I want to go there often.

Germany - Efficient, precise, and fucking boring. Germany is like driving through a concrete wall. In Germany, things work, and people have a good life, though. Economically, I would love to work here. It's a pity that along with the good results they did not exactly create the fiesta atmosphere. German bread is fantastic, though.

Switzerland - Been there only for a day and it's a while back. I don't remember much except that Switzerland costs too much money, is neutral, and there are gorgeous mountains. Oh, and don't bother with Swiss German. It's really not German, whatever they tell you in the brochures.

Austria - Reminds me of Germany, only with more beer and prettier buildings. I hate to say that about Austria, because I know they don't want to be Germany II. It's not entirely the case. But like Germany, there's only so much of it you can take without wanting to escape up a mountain. Fortunately there are plenty.

Greece - Good food, wild people, pity it's way too fucking hot. I'm not such a partygoer. I will always hire a Greek cook for my food though. I fucking love Greek food. And the chicks are either gorgeous or bad.

Italy - Good food, lots of history - Rome is worth a visit. I like Italian warmth. Not the destination of my dreams, but they sure have a lot to talk about.

Vatican - It looks amazing. Pity it's owned by the Catholic Church.

Andorra - if you like neon lights and tax breaks, or enjoy skiing - I avoid all three

Spain - I did not fiesta enough here. Maybe I should go to Barcelona and do it. Pyrenees are worth a nice drive around. They are loco!

Czech Republic - Prague is gorgeous, well organised, they managed to speak English, and they have cheap food and good beer. If you want a good city trip, Prague should be on the top of your list. Don't forget the Jewish cemetery. You will laugh.

Iceland - Weirdest place I've ever been. There's not much people there, the atmosphere is provincial, quirky, but extremely hospitable, and the scenery is to die for. It's like a giant family decided to build a house on an Island, then had half their brothers move because it's wet, damp and cold. The ones that stayed built an ingenious way of life, but they still avoid going into the interior without uberprotection. Also, everyone you will meet and talk to will know the rest of town. Just because by town I mean five houses and they all eat hangikjot together. Or something. I really do love Iceland. One of the best trips.

England - Been there three times. London is too busy for me. Nice history, but the English give me the feeling they have still not yet figured out that despite them being from an island that doesn't mean you can do things the wrong way around. The language use is funny. The food is crap. I think I like Camden, though. Probably because it doesn't feel like England but more like a good goth party.

My favourite countries

1. Iceland
2. Canada
3. Czech Republic
4. Netherlands
5. Italy

Last edited:
if scotland counts as its own place then so should wales, come to wales and enjoy our ... stuff idek

I agree with you on Prague, though -- it's a great place. Cheap food and beer and an over-all nice atmosphere.

Also you should probably rephrase the Jewish cemetery thing?! I think I know what you were alluding to there, but the way you phrased it sounds kind of awful.

Canada - Wonderful country. The food is bad and the people can be on the iffy side (but at least they're not overly religious), but plenty of hospitality to be found. The landscapes are gorgeous. Canada makes me feel very happy inside. Also, they speak English. And yes, I've been to Quebec, but Quebec French is crazy. I would heartily recommend Canada to the traveller. Lots of things to see and do - lots of space, too. If you like solitude, it is perfect. Winters are awful though. Be prepared for some real cold.

Quebec French ftw tabarnak

Quebec French is for France French what American English is for British English.

And we get used to the cold

someday

I am really starting to get touchy about all the US hate there is in the world.

EDIT: Says the girl with the British TV obsession.

For real though, I mean people automatically judge us all without having experiencing the good things my country does have.

It's like saying all British people have bad teeth and drink nothing but tea because that's what you heard.

Visit MN.

It's like saying all British people have bad teeth and drink nothing but tea because that's what you heard.

fhqmZ.png

why do you hurt me like this

Sorry surskitty. :(

But in all seriousness, I've met people online who are like "YOU'RE AMERICAN? I FUCKING HATE AMERICA!", then I say, I am proud of my country, and they all say "WHAT!?" YOUR COUNTRY IS EBIL EVERYONE IN YOUR COUNTRY IS EBIL. And I be all :[

Then they yell at me that Canada is better. It gets annoying.

And that totally is the scientific phrasing for that...

EDIT: DISCLAIMER: I DO NOT THINK ALL BRITISH PEOPLE HAVE BAD TEETH NOR DO THEY DRINK ONLY TEA.

In fact I am not an ignorant idiot who judges and entire country without even living there.

I've been to two countries, Canada and Mexico. Canada we were bored and drove up there, it was the same as here believe it or not.... and Mexico as for an exchange program.

Everybody visit Quebec it's all nice and french-speaking and badly english-speaking but at least we try...

Also you gotta eat a poutine in your life

awkwardly pronounced poo-teen in English

America is definitely not the greatest country ever, but I agree that all the hate on us is kind of annoying. Also, there are places here with excellent food. Food like fried chicken. *salivates*

I have never been out of America, but there are a ton of places that I want to visit someday. One day... *wistful gaze into the distance*

That said, I love California and I could never be too far away from San Francisco for too long. ^_^

US. Not as bad as you'd think.

My friends and I were having a discussion about economic systems the other day. We decided that Communism, in theory, is the best economic system in existence. But in application it's one of the worst. Meanwhile, Capitalism is almost the opposite: On paper it sounds horrible, but in the world it works out a lot better.

Honestly, I'd like to visit France someday. Then Britian. Or maybe Britian then France.

Capitalism is almost the opposite: On paper it sounds horrible, but in the world it works out a lot better.
hahaha

I pretty much agree with your post Tarvos. I'd love to visit Canada someday, and New Zealand :o Iceland sounds very appealing too tbh and everyone I know who's been there says it's cooler than two dogs rollerskating
I'd personally like to do the trans-Siberian but I need to convince a couple of people to go with me or my Russian friend told me I'd get killed, raped and mugged, in that order. :(

Phantom said:
But in all seriousness, I've met people online who are like "YOU'RE AMERICAN? I FUCKING HATE AMERICA!", then I say, I am proud of my country, and they all say "WHAT!?" YOUR COUNTRY IS EBIL EVERYONE IN YOUR COUNTRY IS EBIL. And I be all :[

yeah, because Australia is fucking scary and we all ride kangaroos and talk really dumb and there are POISONOUS THINGS EVERYWHERE and vegemite and g'day! and THIS is a knife! at least there's more than one kind of american in popular media.

honestly? I'm pretty sure most people have to deal with this on the internet unless they live somewhere obscure? not to mention that Tavros also had some good things to say about the US?

I like the US when there's not so many people around. That is the gist of it. Most people are either batshit insane or there is just too many people. Also Las Vegas is basically a giant piece of neon lights. I do like parts of the US: the Northwest is great, and I liked San Francisco. The rural areas are good for the scenery.

But the whole attitude that Americans have isn't my thing - I like a bit more "leave me alone, no, I don't want your shit or your overpriced food or your...and I can pack up my supermarket groceries myself, thanks".

Mostly it's the food that kills it, though. I wish they had good food... I ate better for two months in Brussels than I have in the combined 3 months total I've spent in the US.

I DID
IT WAS AWESOME
THEN AGAIN I WAS CITY-WITH-MORE-THAN-A-MILLION-PEOPLE STARVED

Ah ha! Where were you in MN? If you ever go again hit up Duluth or Two Harbors up North.

Personally I live in Minneapolis, and it's one of the coolest places ever.

EDIT: And we do not say "you betcha" I have never said that in conversation and do not plan to.

Ah ha! Where were you in MN? If you ever go again hit up Duluth or Two Harbors up North.

Personally I live in Minneapolis, and it's one of the coolest places ever.

EDIT: And we do not say "you betcha" I have never said that in conversation and do not plan to.

Minneapolis is indeed where I spent most of my time there. And no, I did not hear a single instance of "you betcha."

Back
Top Bottom