• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Over 80 dead in Norway terrorist attack

Oh my god. D: I never saw that before since I have no cable...

That's horrible. I hope that the families of those 80 are alright. Just... geeze.

Religion needs out.

For fuck's sake, bombing Norway of all places... what are these guys thinking. What the fuck has NORWAY ever done wrong. A terrible tragedy.

As if this tragedy weren't disgusting enough in itself, when the news of the explosion first hit, random Muslims and Arabs were apparently plenty harassed or even outright assaulted. Until they found out a Christian Norwegian did it, that is.

Being Norwegian, I was really shocked and surprised when I head about this. I... just couldn't believe it... I have friends that live in/currently are in Oslo, and was really worried about them(luckily they all seem to be alive and well) The day was just really hard to get through, and I sat up watching the news about this half the night.
Yesterday was just... a terrible day, especially for the country itself. Many people dead and hurt, and these people were also someone's friends and family...

As if this tragedy weren't disgusting enough in itself, when the news of the explosion first hit, random Muslims and Arabs were apparently plenty harassed or even outright assaulted. Until they found out a Christian Norwegian did it, that is.
This. People never learn, do they?

Religion needs out.
I've heard nothing to suggest that it was Muslim fundamentalists. As far as I know, it was just random nutters.

Also, Islamic terrorism is just as much to do with socio-economic factors and global politics than Islam itself. Blaming religion diverts attention from the real causes of terrorism (which is perhaps too convenient, as the West's idiotic foreign policies are significant factors).

Islamic terrorism, maybe, but this was a Christian who lived in Norway. I hardly doubt he was not well-off. I, unlike you, think moderation in faith fosters this type of fanaticism. I think if we think about terrorism, almost all of these attacks were claimed by extremist religious groups. If you take that out of the equation, there's almost no bombings left.

Fun fact though: lots of terrorist organisations, such as al-Qaeda, immediately claimed responsibility for the attack (and in some cases retracted their statements when it became clear that this had nothing to do with Islam). They're probably responsible for fewer bombings than you'd think.

Hrrm. Well, in any case, I believe goldenquagsire is right in that the real problem has little do with religion; Islam is just an excuse.

I disagree. Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.
Religion steers thousands of people away from a life of crime and poverty, as shown by religious charitable organizations from all major religions. One of Islam's five pillars is charity, and if I remember my RE correctly, it is law in the Arab states to donate 20% of earnings to the poor.

Do not blame the religion. Blame the followers. goldenquagsire is right. There's a reason why modern Islam tends to demonize the West; because the West forces themselves into their land and into their resources instead of properly trading. Islam is not an excuse, it's a blanket. Evil men are bombing your town and hunting for oil, where do you turn? Religion. It would be exactly the same situation if Saudi Arabia decided to raid Texas of its oil before the US discovered their pits.

Religion steers thousands of people away from a life of crime and poverty, as shown by religious charitable organizations from all major religions. One of Islam's five pillars is charity, and if I remember my RE correctly, it is law in the Arab states to donate 20% of earnings to the poor.

That worked, didn't it? The Arab still have lots of poor people and a very rich elite. If only "charity" (which by the way is a very important part of the Catholic Church too) actually worked. But they get exponentially more money. The churches are filthy rich. So... not really.

Religion keeps people poor because it gives them fish, it doesn't teach them how to fish for themselves.

wow, that's pretty awesome. he must have been good with his rifle. i wonder how he managed to do that and what his message is...

now now, i know it was tragic and my condolences go to Norway, but it is something to step back and intellectually study

Back
Top Bottom