• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Abortion

Furretsu

World of Glass
Should it remain legal where it is (and become legal where it isn't)? Or is the exact opposite preferred?

Hi. I love abortion and think it's a wonderful thing.

If you really gotta get an abortion, go for it. But srsly people should use protection before they go having sex. Getting an abortion because you were to fucking stupid to remind your boyfriend to wear a fucking condom (and boys, too lazy to remember yourselves) is just.. kind of stupid.

I have a ton of opinions on abortion but I don't care to write all of them up. Just.. use a fucking condom plz.

The whole thing about taking an innocent, unborn life is...

If the woman wants to have an abortion, she is either unable to provide the child a good life or does not want a child. If she is unable to provide the child a good life, then wouldn't it be better to sacrifice one life instead of destroy two, possibly three with the father? And, when the woman is on her feet financially, she can have a child who will have a much happier life than the other child might have.
If she does not want a child, she probably won't love it as much as if she did, and the child might go neglected and unloved. It might develop psychological problems and end up like Cho with Virginia Tech.
And of course, there's always the possibility that the child was conceived via rape. She might not even be able to look at it if that's the case.

The government forcing a woman to go through with an unwanted pregnancy is the same as forcing her into unwanted motherhood. In other words, it's like political rape. :/

And that is my opinion. Don't flame me, 'cause I will point and laugh.

Eh, I dunno.

I think having abortion on demand isn't a good thing because not only is the procedure very expensive (and I firmly believe that money in healthcare should go towards keeping people well, safe and alive), people should just be more careful. In the case of rape or if the mother's life is threatened, I think it's definitely okay, but if a couple just didn't bother with taking the necessary precautions, they should deal with the consequences. There's really no excuse for not taking the morning-after pill either, unless you were date-raped.

No, I don't want to see children brought up in loveless families, but allowing abortion to just become a method of birth control is wrong, I think.

Plus, and this is mostly because I've seen a few times the absolute devastation that tears people apart when a miscarriage happens... I don't know when I believe a foetus becomes a person, but there are so many people in the world who desperately want to have their own baby, people going and having theirs deliberately terminated just seems unfair.

Also, and this is one point I feel very strongly on, I think that allowing a baby to be terminated at any time up to birth because of a disability is extremely wrong. The fact the law actually allows this reflects society’s view of disabled people as second-class citizens and it makes me feel sick.

I know I fail as a feminist on this, but those are my jumbled thoughts.

abortion is fine and would not even be necessary nearly as often if all the effort spent whining about it went into providing real sex ed and researching better contraception.

Also, and this is one point I feel very strongly on, I think that allowing a baby to be terminated at any time up to birth because of a disability is extremely wrong. The fact the law actually allows this reflects society’s view of disabled people as second-class citizens and it makes me feel sick.
tbh I really can't justify (a) forcing parents to spend their entire lives caring for a disabled child just because they rolled a 1 and (b) forcing such a person into the world when e is likely to either resent eir existence or be incapable of grasping what it means in the first place.
of course this also depends how you define 'disabled'. deaf? wheelchair? autistic? down's? completely incapable of interacting with the world? will be dead by 3? generally I would expect people to not abort children who might be deaf from birth.
not that I know where the line is, either.

edit: well, actually, maybe the line should just be whether or not the child would ever be capable of living on eir own.

I'm in favor of abortion, for reasons already stated by others.

...if a couple just didn't bother with taking the necessary precautions, they should deal with the consequences. There's really no excuse for not taking the morning-after pill either, unless you were date-raped.
See, the only problem I have with that kind of thinking is that it's in a way saying, "Okay you guys, you were irresponsible so now your punishment is that you have to give birth to and raise a child". I don't think that children should be born to punish their parents' indiscretions. :\ It's not a good reason to become a parent.

Last edited:
Are the most irresponsible people really the ones we want to be having the most children, anyway?

I think having abortion on demand isn't a good thing because not only is the procedure very expensive (and I firmly believe that money in healthcare should go towards keeping people well, safe and alive)
Wait, what? Are abortions government-paid there or something?

abortion is fine and would not even be necessary nearly as often if all the effort spent whining about it went into providing real sex ed and researching better contraception.

tbh I really can't justify (a) forcing parents to spend their entire lives caring for a disabled child just because they rolled a 1 and (b) forcing such a person into the world when e is likely to either resent eir existence or be incapable of grasping what it means in the first place.
of course this also depends how you define 'disabled'. deaf? wheelchair? autistic? down's? completely incapable of interacting with the world? will be dead by 3? generally I would expect people to not abort children who might be deaf from birth.
not that I know where the line is, either.

edit: well, actually, maybe the line should just be whether or not the child would ever be capable of living on eir own.

Still, I don't think it's anyone's place to say that someone with [insert condition here] doesn't deserve to live; and it really is about killing them if they're past the point of viability, just not yet born.
I just remember hearing about a massive courtcase ages ago about a mother who wanted to abort her child for having a hare lip, and I'm not sure if she won or not, but the fact that she was even allowed to take it to court is absurd. It's an almost entirely physical flaw, not that much worse than my own torn up lip.

Wait, what? Are abortions government-paid there or something?

I know over here you can get them done on the NHS. My friend's 13 year old sister had one a few weeks back. x.x
Her bloody boyfriend should be on the Sex Offenders register.

No, I don't want to see children brought up in loveless families, but allowing abortion to just become a method of birth control is wrong, I think.

No one wants abortion to be a method of birth control. That does not mean a woman shouldn't have the right to one.

Saying you support abortion is risky, since everyone seems to think what you are saying is that teenagers should just stop worrying about contraception, fuck everyone in sight, then get abortions. That said, I usually say this: I believe in contraception and sexual education; where these fail, abortion should be an option. Above everything, though, I believe in the right of a woman to do as she likes with her own body. Preventing this is an invasion of privacy on the largest scale.

Having an abortion is, from what I understand, an exceedingly painful and unpleasant experience. I can't see why somebody would want to use THAT as a method of birth control rather than, say, a condom. Condoms don't hurt.

So I don't see why we should worry about abortions becoming the new "birth control", since I think you'd have to be pretty dumb to view it in that light.

Having an abortion is, from what I understand, an exceedingly painful and unpleasant experience. I can't see why somebody would want to use THAT as a method of birth control rather than, say, a condom. Condoms don't hurt.

So I don't see why we should worry about abortions becoming the new "birth control", since I think you'd have to be pretty dumb to view it in that light.

Plus you can't buy an abortion for a dollar in a gas station bathroom.

Some people are pretty dumb.

Personally, I say go for it, only because I can't stand the thought of a child growing up loveless (in the case the child is unwanted, or a product of rape that the mother may hate or grow to hate). But I do agree with Iibui, about more funding toward sex ed and safe sex programs to teach people that making babies when you don't want them is not a good thing. Abortions should be legal, but only as a last resort. *nodnod*

I am all for it. It's pretty harmless, except to over-religious Catholic people.

Hey, I have an idea, how about we take voting rights away from anyone who is too religous? We should have a little religion-meter and once you're over a certain line, sorry, no, you can't vote. That way, gay marriage would be legal everywhere, and so would abortion. AWESOME WORLD

(jklol)

D: Then we'd have to silence most of India, and you don't mess with India. :o Hell, and Iran. And...many many other countries.

Because my government allows it, I have an abortion every other boring Sunday really. It is a fun and awesome experience for women and they'd do it every time they could especially because of liberal media.

I don't support abortion- to the argument of a baby growing up in a loveless environment... Yes, that is a very, very bad thing. Isn't that one of the reasons we have adoption? Quite frankly, if you were stupid enough not to take the proper precautions, you shouldn't be allowed to kill an unborn child because of it. If you feel the baby wouldn't receive a proper upbringing from you, put it up for adoption. And state-funded abortions are just stupid- what's next? State-funded liposuction?

Isn't that one of the reasons we have adoption?

Many kids will go through several families before staying put in one, if at all, and some just run away and grow up alone. Adoption can be a good thing if taken care of properly, but the system America has sux teh ballz.

Back
Top Bottom