• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

I don't like being called 'brony' not because of its implied gender (which isn't necessarily true, see also many fraternities) but more because the brony community is really and utterly awful (to the point where I specifically want to be disassociated from it).

I'm sorry that I'm complaining again but what do you even mean when you say "brony community"?
Do you mean everyone who identifies as one? Just the people who talk on forums? The people who contribute with art and music and stuff? The people who comment on youtube/eqd/deviantart?

I've seen people on other forums make the same kind of complaint but it turns out they either mean people who enjoy/make the kinds of fan content they don't, or they point at things like "the pizza hut video" as if that's some indication that most 'bronies' are like that.

Anyone here listen to brony podcasts? Just discovered Bronyville, it's pretty awesome.
I used to listen to bronyville a lot. I haven't recently though. Maybe because I missed one or two episodes and catching up would take too long. Then I miss even more and don't want to catch up even more.

I don't like being called 'brony' not because of its implied gender (which isn't necessarily true, see also many fraternities) but more because the brony community is really and utterly awful (to the point where I specifically want to be disassociated from it).

Well that is a bit of a harsh generalization. Sure, like with any other fandoms, the bigger the fandom is, all the more really obnoxious and/or creepy, loud members within it who give all members a bad reputation, but there are still many good subcommunities to be found if someone digs deep enough.

Well that is a bit of a harsh generalization.

And a completely valid one, I assure you.

Sure, like with any other fandoms, the bigger the fandom is, all the more really obnoxious and/or creepy, loud members within it who give all members a bad reputation, but there are still many good subcommunities to be found if someone digs deep enough.
Yeah, I searched for weeks and found one community that actually strived for a safe space environment. I have been through numerous forums and IRC channels. The brony community originated in 4chan, which is red flag #1. Equestria Daily, the community's largest hub, is a cesspool. Ditto dA, but that can be said of dA in general. Sub-communities need not necessarily adhere to "brony community".

The problem with the brony community in particular it is routinely touted by members and media as a progressive bastion, of which it is certainly not. Patriarchy, sexism, queerphobia abound. "Men watching My Little Pony" is the headline for "Girls' show better for girls than typical girls' show".

Last edited:
Yeah, I searched for weeks and found one community that actually strived for a safe space environment.

Its name?

The brony community originated in 4chan, which is red flag #1. Equestria Daily, the community's largest hub, is a cesspool.

1) THANK YOU. This is EXACTLY what I've been trying to get across.
2) Nowhere near as bad as Ponychan or /co/, though. (I am an ex-Ponychanner and ex-/co/ regular visitor, so I ought to know.)

By no means is it the only stupid Internet community out there, though - I won't name the others, but you should know what I'm talking about. (PM me if you don't know but want to.)

By the way, I actually coined the term "e-quine", if you like. (Yeah, it'll never catch on. :P)

Now for another (!) side topic which will push this thread in a more positive direction.

The age-old MLP fan discussion question: S1 or S2?

I prefer S2 - four of my five favourite episodes come from it (Canterlot Wedding, Putting Your Hoof Down, SSCS6K, Cutie Mark Chronicles [S1, and should've been the season finale in my opinion], Lesson Zero), and there were some instances of really ballsy (in a good way) writing that weren't there in S1. It even has fewer episodes that I dislike (Fall Weather Friends and Feeling Pinkie Keen in S1, Mare Do Well in S2).

Last edited:
S1. Mainly because it used brighter colours for its backgrounds, and I like brighter colours.

Its name?

feminist_mlp on LJ. Sidenote: I really can't stand LJ.

1) THANK YOU. This is EXACTLY what I've been trying to get across.
2) Nowhere near as bad as Ponychan or /co/, though. (I am an ex-Ponychanner and ex-/co/ regular visitor, so I ought to know.)
I'm aware; I've frequented both. EQD is still terrible.

The age-old MLP fan discussion question: S1 or S2?
I really have no idea. S2 had more standout awesome episodes compared to S1, but also some actually bad episodes (Baby Cakes, Secret of My Excess, Canterlot Wedding), whereas I at least somewhat liked every S1 episode. I could've decisively said S2 for sure if it weren't for the letdown that was the S2 finale.

[ redacted by request ]
I think D3 was referring to sites and forums specifically made for MLP discussion, not enclaves of MLP fans within non-MLP websites (such as us in this thread).

By the way, I used to be a part of Metal Bronies back when I was on Last.fm (I don't go anymore because my laptop died, and Last.fm died with it - I should still be listed there, though).

Best episodeswise, S1 had The Cutie Mark Chronicles, Sonic Rainboom, Fall Weather Friends, Winter Wrap Up, The Best Night Ever, Suited For Success, Bridle Gossip, Green Isn't Your Colour and Party Of One.

S2 had The Last Round-Up, A Friend In Deed, May The Best Pet Win, the first Discord ep, the first Canterlot Wedding ep, Lesson Zero, Sisterhooves Social, Sweet and Elite, and MMMystery On The Friendship Express.

While we're on this topic, I'll post my best and worst of each season.

S1:

Hot:
Cutie Mark Chronicles
Griffon the Brush-off
Sonic Rainboom
Suited for Success
Party of One
Green Isn't Your Colour

Not:
Feeling Pinkie Keen
Fall Weather Friends
Owl's Well That Ends Well

S2:

Hot:
Canterlot Wedding, Part 2
Putting Your Hoof Down
SSCS6K
Lesson Zero
Hurricane Fluttershy
Sisterhooves Social
Hearth's Warming Eve

Not:
MMDW
Luna Eclipsed

By the way, a question for Rainbow Dashie and Diminished Third:

What's with the dislike for Secret of My Excess and Canterlot Wedding? (Especially CW - it received a tremendous response, not just at the "big" MLP sites, but here and across the [non-MLP] Internet as well.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Pretty much everyone in #tcod agreed Canterlot Wedding was terrible. It was a bad mix of "what?", odd pacing, and deux ex machina. Too many characters/concepts "out of nowhere", The songs (apart from the aria) were disappointing, too. Best Night Ever wasn't thrilling, but it managed to be a better finale in half the time.

Also, yes, Spike/Rarity shipping is terrible. Also, also: am I seriously the only one who likes MMDW :(

Hey. I love MLP. My fav character would be RD.

(randomly pops out of nowhere, I know)

I never knew this forum had such a club.

I didn't dislike a Canterlot Wedding, but I don't like it nearly as much as everyone else seems to. I don't particularly get what's so great about it, but it was enjoyable. Also the aria was the bit I liked least about it :(

I liked MMDW! It really annoys me when people act as if it's an objective fact that Merriwether Williams is a bad writer. MMDW and Hearth's Warming Eve were some of my favourite episodes of season 2. Putting your Hoof Down wasn't great, but I did like it.

Different people have different tastes (which is a good thing; it'd be a boring world if everyone was the exact same person!), I just didn't like Secret Of My Excess at all apart from a few stuff like the Wonderbolts getting trapped, perhaps my dislike for Spike/Rarity shipping has to do a lot with it too, but it was just a boring ep overall regardless, though I did not predict that ending so eh.

I can see why you'd hold that opinion. I actually don't care for shipping at all unless it's Flutterdash/Lyrabon/Vinyltavia.

The only really good thing about Canterlot Wedding part 2 was the two songs, otherwise the action scenes were boring and inconsistent with the quality of the first part. After an amazing part one I expected a much, much better climax in part two. (same thing happened with the Discord eps) It's a problem with a lot of films too where the bar is set too high in their first half only to lead to an anti-climatic second half.

Pretty much everyone in #tcod agreed Canterlot Wedding was terrible. It was a bad mix of "what?", odd pacing, and deux ex machina. Too many characters/concepts "out of nowhere", The songs (apart from the aria) were disappointing, too. Best Night Ever wasn't thrilling, but it managed to be a better finale in half the time.

Well, that's actually quite a surprise, considering that the forumgoers seemed to love it. (I don't go to #tcod.) Interesting how one episode can divide a website in such a way.

(By the way, who's on #tcod?)

Also, also: am I seriously the only one who likes MMDW :(

I liked MMDW! It really annoys me when people act as if it's an objective fact that Merriwether Williams is a bad writer.

Yeah, you guys are the only ones. :P But seriously, I don't think Merriwether is a bad writer - in fact, I had two of her episodes (Putting Your Hoof Down and Hearth's Warming Eve) among my favourites list. Larson is best writer, though. :)

But really, I feel the same way about Hurricane Fluttershy. It didn't seem to get much love from TCoD, which is disappointing, because I thought it was an excellent episode.

Last edited:
Vinyltavia.
This is a terrible ship. At least with the other two they've met. These two may never have seen each other in their lives. And also, I get major straight vibes from Octavia.

I may have mentioned this before, but Putting Your Hoof Down strikes me as the same kind of episode Spongebob got a lot of in later seasons. The impression I get from Iron will reminds me a lot of the one-time characters from those seasons of Spongebob. I can't put my finger on what separates him from the other one timers from MLP but there's something.

What I find curiouser is that these are the same kinds of episodes I don't like in Spongebob and why I don't like the newer ones. And yet Merriwether Williams was one of the best writers for that show and I can't think of an episode she wrote that I don't like.
So I just find it odd that that episode reminds me of the kind of writing she isn't known for in my head.

So the Season 3 premiere is about the Crystal Kingdom.

Toys always spoil

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom