• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Tips on drawing reptiles and wings?

Icalasari

YAY! NEW AVATAR! :D
I have some issues with drawing reptiles. Lizards, to be precise. I usually draw them with mammalian legs, since I am used to that. I honestly don't know how to do a good side view though, considering how lizard legs are splayed out

Also, I have troubles with wings in some cases. I usually draw them somewhat well later on, but I am worried about how I connect them

I tend to make the wings either be as wide as the ridge where they connect (dragons), or make the wings connect halfway down the body or further (birds)

Which way is the correct way? Also, I have a habit of drawing ridges on bird wings, as I don't know how to 'anchor' the feathers otherwise x.x

This is a good tutorial for wings.

For anything, go to Google and just look at pictures. Drawing from real life is the best way to learn the "right" way to draw things.

Reptile legs are tricky, but with most lizards, you have to remember that their belly usually slides across the ground when they walk, and their legs stick out the sides. As for birds, I really can't do anything but look from photographs or bird anatomy books, they're the best resources. Eventually it becomes second-nature. (:

Found a tutorial for the wings (My problem wasn't the connection of skin/feathers to the body after all. It was the anatomy of the wing itself)

And thanks for the lizard tips, but it doesn't help too much. I will scan a pic in when I get home

This is a good tutorial for wings.

For anything, go to Google and just look at pictures. Drawing from real life is the best way to learn the "right" way to draw things.

That helped me a lot. I never realized my wings were so wrong. Hah, I just drew an epic picture of a Wyvern >:D And I'm really serious, for me it's epic. Pure epic.
His name is Drekalder, and will be my char in a future RPG <3

And I hope you'll get better at the wings, my problem are feathery/angelic wings, they don't come out well. At all.

Back
Top Bottom