• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

RAP / HIP-HOP

#1 bro

FEELING GREAT, FEELING GOOD, HOW ARE YOU?
does anyone else listen to rap here? i'm kind of just getting into it but i've been listening to more and more lately. some rap is admittedly really fucking stupid but a lot of it is pretty sweet.

my favorite rappers would probably be the wu-tang clan (particularly raekwon's "only built for cuban linx... pt. 2" is probably the best rap album i've heard), tupac shakur (of course), lil wayne, the roots, snoop dogg, and gucci mane. also dangermouse's grey album is brilliant and makes me dig jay-z sort of. like i said i'm just getting into it so there's a ton of rap i have left to hear, this is just some guys i've stumbled upon.

so how about you? i'm anticipating a bunch of "wtf rap sucks how is it even music" responses but whatever. hopefully i can find a few other hip hop fans on here.

jay-z, mos def, and jay dee/j dilla (RIP) are really cool. go find j dilla's beat tapes online. i also really like madlib, so i'm sure i'd like all of his side projects (madvillain, quasimoto, etc.).

i admittedly haven't heard too much hip-hop, but it's not because i dislike it. i just haven't spent a lot of time looking. when i do, i go to the radio, for some reason.. and most rap on top 40 radio is bland and boring.

Yeah, I listen to Wayne, Kanye, Em, all those guys. Gucci's a decent beat maker but he's kind of like DJ Khaled, he messes them up by talking/rapping =/

Sometimes I listen to Nas, Tech N9ne, and Young Jeezy.

Oh, and some youtube rappers are pretty sick. My personal favorites are Traphik, D-Pryde, Dumbfoundead and Deuce B.

Yeah.

I haven't heard a huge amount of hip hop but what I do have is good. First hip hop artist I found that I genuinely enjoyed was last year when I found out the drummer of Suffocation had a rap side project called Grimm Real, downloaded some songs for a laugh and found out they were actually really good and enjoyable. And so my mind was opened :P N.W.A. are another hip hop group I enjoy, I love "Fuck Tha Police" haha. Public Enemy are good too. My favourite rap artist (and rapidly becoming one of my favourite artists in all genres) is the Streets, some amazing tunes and fantastic lyrics, also very enjoyable live. I like a few other British hip hop artists as well like Plan B, Roots Manuva and Dizzee Rascal. I don't know a vast amount about the hip hop "scene" yet as I only started getting more interested in this style very recently, sure by the end of this year I'll have found a few more good artists I like in this style.

Commercial Rap is bad. Real Rap is good. Hip-Hop is amazing. And surprisingly, they're two very different things.

Yeah, I'm not a huge fan like I am with folk and classic rock, but I do really love good hip-hop. Some of my favorite rappers are definitely Common (arguable one of the best rappers of all time), Lupe Fiasco, Nas, and Mos Def. Then there's hip-hop, which I don't really feel like going into right now, but some of my favorites are The Fugees, Nujabes, Kero One, The Flobots... if you want to hear something really different, and you're not really familiar with the genre, look up Just Forget by Force of Nature and a couple of other tracks from the soundtrack...

Rap, Hip-Hop, and R&B...is most of what I listen to x]

I adore Lil Wayne, especially the remix of A Millie featuring Cory Gunz.
Have you heard Freaky Girl by Gucci Mane?
The-Dream's sweet voice is epic; try I Luv Your Girl or Shawty Is Da Shit.
Fabolous. Trey Songz.
If you've heard the song Poker Face by Lady GaGa, there's somewhat of a Rap remix to it. It's titled, I think, I Poke Her Face by Kid Cudi, Kanya West, and Common. I honestly think Kanye's part ruined the song, though.
Throw It In The Bag by the aforementioned Fabolous, as well as its remix. Personally, I prefer the remix, because the chorus is the borrowed ending of Fancy by The-Dream.
Forever, I think by Drake and Lil Wayne. Either that, or it's called I Want This Forever.
Bedrock by Young Money. It's one of my favorites - first on my MySpace playlist.
One of my most ADORED from this genre...T-Pain. I idolize him. His song, Church, is kind of old, but still... <3
Also, I Wanna Love You by Akon and Snoop Dogg. The uncensored version being I Wanna Fuck You. It's kind of old as well (about three years, if memory serves), but I still like it.

I hope you like some of these songs! Or all, that would be nice '^-^

Last edited:
I hate most rap. It's all 'Gunz, Bitches and Bling' and that sucks.

However, I like how, with good rappers, there's usually sort of a message. Like Dan Le Sac/Scroobius Pip.

Also, it can be funny. Which is why I like Emenem, D12 and Goldie Lookin' Chains.

And finally some, like Fort Minor, just sound nice. Yes, I hate myself for liking Fort Minor.

aesop rock

Quoting this for emphasis. I've looked around myself but besides the offhand track noone else has held my interest in the same way in the genre. Brilliant lyricist, all there is to it. But it really depends what you're looking for.

Also, its been stated already, but I think what you're looking for is Hip-Hop. People get it mixed up with Rap and generalise the two together, but they're different things. I've an aversion to 'Rap' myself.

rap is almost certainly a more widely used term for the genre in question than hip hop is.

holland is a more widely used term for the netherlands that doesn't stop it from being wrong either

Seriously, stop being dumb about rap, the old stuff is fucken fantastic. The only crap you can legitimately make fun of is modern "gangsta rap" (see also 50 Cent, Lil' Wayne and fellow cunts), glam metal, and Christian metal.

please elaborate (i.e. explain the difference between the two)

Watershed pretty much had it - mind you I'm no expert or anything, so I can't say for sure. As far as I'm concerned, 'Rap' is a sub-genre of sorts that encompasses.. well, all the 'gangsta' rabble.
Really, I think rap is essentially a specific for the industry. It's the image, and that's what people -buy-, unfortunate but its true, all the kiddies want to 'live up' to it all.
But it's hard to say, any research I do to go deeper into it gives such conflicting views of the whole thing I don't think I could nail down a solid answer. I guess I would have to see it as, hip-hop is the culture it came from, and covers more than just the musical style. 'True' hip-hop is the intellectual and personable style we like to think we know, while rap is the mass-produced slag that.. for some reason or another, brings the money.

Edit: Also 'Parody rap' is just as bad for almost the same reasons, except it's playing off the popularity of the sub-genre for the 'irony factor'. Albeit, it's usually not paid for, but it's there for the popularity with the lolrapsux crowd.

Last edited:
does anyone else like mos def and/or a tribe called quest? i'm getting into them

also no one diss lil wayne he's a pretty good artist who can drop rhymez like nobody's buisness

Back
Top Bottom