• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Magic: the Gathering Club

Hey look guys I made a thing, you interested?

Ooh, fun! Something to do with that planeswalker I've been working on.

teensiest tiniest nitpick though, I don't know if he still does it but Nicol Bolas has a tendency to shut down other dragon planeswalkers when he finds them. Like, not to say draconic planeswalkers are impossible I mean the multiverse is a big place but it'd be fun/challenging if Nicol got involved somehow. (or Sarkhan!! aaa) Or was that already planned? Or can we know? :p

Ooh, fun! Something to do with that planeswalker I've been working on.

teensiest tiniest nitpick though, I don't know if he still does it but Nicol Bolas has a tendency to shut down other dragon planeswalkers when he finds them. Like, not to say draconic planeswalkers are impossible I mean the multiverse is a big place but it'd be fun/challenging if Nicol got involved somehow. (or Sarkhanl!! aaa) Or was that already planned? Or can we know? :p

Heehee it's a seeecret ;3c

She may be flying under the radar for now, though, as her favoured form isn't terribly big-scary-dragon for the most part. But when she takes her real form again... shit may go down ;Dc

I'm not normally an RPer but the setting is interesting. One sorta minor nitpick though: Planeswalkers don't have the ability to shape shift anymore. That was the old planeswalkers like Urza and Serra, in the time before the Mending (the conclusion of Time Spiral block). Back then planeswalkers essentially lived forever and had complete control of their own bodies and of matter, could create their own planes, etc. Planeswalkers since Time Spiral block (the ones depicted on cards) are essentially just ordinary folk who can planeswalk.

I liked the shapeshift-y thing though :( I p. much just said 'screw it' and kept it anyway, 'cause I mean they can summon giant monsters and stuff they can learn spells to change what they look like if they want.

Colours stop picking and choosing your canon

I p. much just said 'screw it' and kept it anyway, 'cause I mean they can summon giant monsters and stuff they can learn spells to change what they look like if they want.

Form of the Dragon exists, so fair point. They should do more cards like that.

teensiest tiniest nitpick though, I don't know if he still does it but Nicol Bolas has a tendency to shut down other dragon planeswalkers when he finds them.
Bolas did destroy Ugin the spirit dragon planeswalker, but Ugin had something Bolas wanted, so that doesn't say much.

Form of the Dragon was made before the revision, though.

Mind you, I don't really care, because I don't think I've fully gotten over the revision myself.

Mind you, I don't really care, because I don't think I've fully gotten over the revision myself.

Well, yeah, but it's canon that Sarkhan Vol can turn into a dragon temporarily, as of Zendikar. His magic is closely tied to dragons, but still. (Hence why he is on the reprint of Form of the Dragon)

I'm part of this.

I only joined the gathering during theZendikar/Rise of the Eldrazi era, though I was introduced to it much earlier.

I've got several decks, though not many are worth using in competitive play due to a usual lack of strategy (not to mention my preference to use all of the cards I have...). My main decks are a Black/Red Vampire deck tha makes the most of the Stromkirk Captain, and a Green/Red deck that is essentially a slightly changed version of the Undying G/R pre-construted deck, adding Howlgeists and Grisebrand's Hound to make better use of the Undying keyword.

NOW!

On to the topic of shapeshifting: I feel that, despite the whole removal of the inherit ability post-Mending, Planeswalkers should be able to access magics tht allow them to forcively change their form, though doing so would be a large drain to mana and they would have to recuperate in order to be able to do anything afterwards...

Interestingly, the first cards I ever actually bought were a Zendikar intro deck! I didn't play back then, honestly I just bought it because the foil Hellkite Charger that came in it was really pretty. It's now one of my favorite cards and I'm trying to figure out how to fit Bear Umbra into my EDH deck so I can have the infinite combat combo...

And brofist for more BR vampire players!

Yeah, shapeshifting to just one or two forms makes sense to me. Sarkhan has devoted his entire life to dragons, so it makes sense that on occasion he can transform himself (or at least his hands) into one. A planeswalker with a similar devotion to a single sort of creature being able to transform is understandable.

The mending was more about limiting the power of planeswalkers in the storyline so they could be more relatable to players (and so they could be printed on cards). As planeswalkers, we were never quite at the power level of characters such as Urza. If anything, the mending brings planeswalkers closer to the power level of a player.

Well, yeah, but it's canon that Sarkhan Vol can turn into a dragon temporarily, as of Zendikar. His magic is closely tied to dragons, but still. (Hence why he is on the reprint of Form of the Dragon)
Regrettably, neither of his cards can turn into a dragon, although Sarkhan the Mad can turn other creatures into dragons for some reason.

I'm part of this.

I only joined the gathering during theZendikar/Rise of the Eldrazi era, though I was introduced to it much earlier.
Welcome to our cult club, fellow Planeswalker! The very first cards I played were from Seventh Edition, but I only really got into it right when Innistrad came out, so I'm actually a noob in comparison to most everyone here. :)

On to the topic of shapeshifting: I feel that, despite the whole removal of the inherit ability post-Mending, Planeswalkers should be able to access magics tht allow them to forcively change their form, though doing so would be a large drain to mana and they would have to recuperate in order to be able to do anything afterwards...
It really depends on the character in question. As noted before, Sarkhan can cast Form of the Dragon, but it's not related to his planeswalker's spark in any way. Sarkhan can become a dragon because it's a power he learned as a dragon shaman earlier in his life. If Sarkhan were to lose his spark, he'd still be able to become a dragon.

I remember my first deck. It was one of the Alara: Reborn. The deck was Unnatural Schemes, the deck centered around the Shard of Grixis. I still use this deck to this day, though I have added another 4 other decks to my collection. One of them is the Shamanism deck from Morningtide, the second is the Devouring Skies deck from New Phyrexia, while the other two are hand-built. One of the hand-built is centered around White, Green, and Blue mana. The other centers around Red and Black mana, though it does Green and Blue on a couple of creatures.

With the shape-shifting topic up, I'll stay out of it.

I still use the basic idea of my first deck! It was a Conflux structure deck, Jund Appetite for War. Jund is still my very favourite, and I typically play Red anyway when not using my Jund deck.

I prefer playing Vintage, as I can use all my favourite cards. None of the game shops around here play it though, just Standard. :C Standard is just a big cash grab if you ask me.

That's the exact reason I stay out of tournament magic entirely; my favorite cards tend to be unsuitable for constructed tournament play and/or aren't standard legal. Vintage is probably the least supported format because it's difficult for Wizards to really profit off a format based on old out of print cards, and they can't really print any new cards good enough for vintage play without impacting standard play (although I heard one or two of the new commander cards are fairly playable in legacy?).

I wonder though, why vintage instead of legacy? You might have an easier time finding people that play legacy.

I haven't really looked into Legacy very much (Vintage was my first format), all I know is that it's like Vintage with a banlist but I'm not sure how correct that is? I probably just haven't bothered with it much yet as I normally just play with friends, and one of them makes heavy use of Un cards and those aren't anything-legal :B

Just note that Vintage and Legacy are both rather expensive formats to get into. (I talked a bit about my own forays into Legacy in my opening post) That is, if you want to build a deck that can actually beat someone. If you just want to mess around without having a thousand dollar collection, unfortunately you gotta stick to the casual table. Standard tournaments are, however, a good place to find someone to play a pickup game against. Because of how accessible the format is, you'll probably find someone with some casual decks you can play against.

The key difference between Vintage and Legacy is that Vintage has a restricted list, the listed cards are limited to one copy per deck, and Legacy has a banned list, you can't use those cards at all. Vintage also has a banned list, but it's nothing but ante cards, manual dexterity cards, Chaos Orb, and Shahrazad.

Vintage is funny because it's a format other tournament players often whisper about, going on about decks that are expected to kill someone within the first four turns. Gigantic turn one counter wars are fought over an Ancestral Recall. Slash Panther, a card that is otherwise very mediocre, is one of the most lethal creatures in the format. And just as often, it devolves into two decks attacking each other with Dark Confidant over and over again.

Legacy is more fun IMO. It's (usually) a more open format, much cheaper to play (cheapest competitive deck possible is around $90, as opposed to over $600 for Vintage), and there is actual sanctioned play if you sniff around. Stores in the Dallas area run Saturday Legacy tournaments, which is where I got my fix.

But back to the flavor discussion, they haven't really made any duds for me flavorwise after the revision, except for Zendikar, so I'm okay with it for the most part. What is everyone's favorite block/setting? My favorites are Ravnica and Otaria (Odyssey and Onslaught block's setting).

I like reading about the Alara block, but Zendikar block has a lot of cards I enjoy. But then, so does Innistrad... Hellrider and Bloodline Keeper are a couple of my favorite cards. Oh, but Myr Battlesphere!... Damn ): Picking favorites is so hard.
Lorwyn lore is pretty fun to read about, too, plus a good chunk of my legacy elf deck is from that block. I've also heard Lorwyn is a really fun block for Limited (so maybe we should try it sometime?)

Good ol' Dominaria is definitely my favorite, followed by Mirrodin--not surprisingly, the settings that were being featured at the time that I was playing the most. I was pretty disappointed that the Phyrexians ended up conquering Mirrodin, although it was obvious from the get-go who was going to win that war.

While they've introduced lots of cool places in recent sets, I really do miss Dominaria. I know they wanted to inject some more variety into the game and open up the ability to do some really funky things, but personally I don't feel the need to go swinging off to an entirely new plane with each new block. Of course, now we're seeing the reintroduction of some planes, what with the (unfortunate) second Mirrodin block and the upcoming "Return to Ravnica," so I can hold out hoping we'll see more of Dominaria in a few years.

Also not a big fan of the Mending. Yes, from a narrative standpoint it was a good decision because old-school planeswalkers are gigantic, raging Mary-Sues--but that was what made them so much fun!

Hard for me to say, really. Zendikar was pretty sweet, although I wish Rise of the Eldrazi was more mechanically connected to the first two sets. Innistrad isn't half bad either. Dominaria of course is awesome but last time we were there it was ravaged by slivers, I think... which we'll probably see sometime in the near future, so I wouldn't rule out a return to Dominaria.

I personally wish we got to see more of Old Phyrexia. I think it was featured on some cards from Urza's Saga, but that's it.

yay! Yay! YAY!

First Planeswalker, EVER! I bought a Deck-Builders kit yesterday, and in the 2013 Core Set booster pack was the pyro planeswalker, Chandra. I have built two decks from that box. One focusing on Angels and Humans. The other is Vampire themed. Two more at least to come!

Chandra is in a protective sleeve. On her own. Sitting with my Dual-Sided cards.

Back
Top Bottom