• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Should AIDS be cured?

Should people try to find a cure or vaccination for AIDS?

• um yeah

Votes: 40 87.0%
  • No, because [something about overpopulation goes here]

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • No, because people who make stupid decisions and those who consort with idiots deserve whatever they

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Doesn't affect me so I... don't really care

Votes: 3 6.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fer-Snazzle

I am not yet dead!!! :D
The way I see it, it could be cured, but that would cause an even larger boom in the Earth's population, or it could be left alone, and continue to live as an ever-spreading pandemic. If it's cured, those raped and infected, or those born with it would be able to finally have a fair chance at life, but those who just have random sex everywhere would be justified, possibly making the world the "dirtier" place to live, if you catch my drift. If it's not cured, people will get exactly what's coming to them for making a stupid choice, and the world's population won't boom. Curing AIDS would be like when smallpox was cured - One of the largest causes of mass-death in the world (in humans, at least). However, those born with it or raped and infected would have to just live with the fact that they'll never have a life, and that it's some kind of cruel joke that they're here... What do ya'll think? Should people continue to try and cure AIDS?

EDIT: And now I can't figure out how to add a "yes" option, because the one that's there is biased. Sorry about that. =/
soo, yes >.<

Last edited:
Why the fuck should this even be a discussion?

Yeah, some people are dumbasses or simply like sleeping around, but that doesn't make it right if they get AIDS. Especially given that many people are assholes and don't seem to understand that if they're infected, they should actually take steps to prevent other people from getting it.

but those who just have random sex everywhere would be justified, possibly making the world the "dirtier" place to live, if you catch my drift.
and who the fuck do you think you are to support a plague on the entire world's population so you can sleep easy at night knowing that people who get laid more than you are getting their just desserts

I am absolutely horrified that you would even suggest this

HM GUYS DO YOU THINK THAT THE LIVES OF MILLIONS SHOULD BE SAVED OR THAT PEOPLE WHO LIKE SEX SHOULD BE PUNISHED FOR IT

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

I do make alot of people feel sick when I talk about this <O

But I didn't realize ya'll were so closed-minded. Not even trying to see the other side? I dunno why it's not here, but this is quite a debate in my social cirlce. Mostly because they understand both sides.

I don't see how we are. we don't like that the only yes option has been injected with your opinion on how people who get aids deserve it and should die for having sex. Shut up, don't pull the damn 'you're closed-minded because you don't agree with my poll options that are all really the same' bs.

*Yes, they should, because innocent people shouldn't be sacrificed for the punishment of the people who don't make smart descisions.
*No, they shouldn't, because the world's population can't take that kind of boom, especially in underdeveloped areas such as Sub-Saharan Africa, or in space-starved areas such as the United States, Urban Europe, and eastern Asia.
*No, they shouldn't, because people who have unprotected sex, or share drug needles randomly shouldn't just be left without consiquence.
read these options.
option one - no, the only reason for wanting to cure aids is not "'innocent people' are finally getting it", it's 'people are dieing from a disease so we should find a way to make them stop dieing.
option two - this is just not a good solution. Hardly even makes sense. 'if aids is cured the population shoots up. therefore curing it is very bad.'
option three - why do you get to say that people need to have a 'consequence' (killed or left suffering and usually dieing) because they like sex or drugs? hm?

..oh right, it's a poll thread. AIDs should be cured.

Last edited:
But I didn't realize ya'll were so closed-minded. Not even trying to see the other side? I dunno why it's not here, but this is quite a debate in my social cirlce. Mostly because they understand both sides.
Don't you DARE try to pull the closed-minded card. Closed-minded refers to people who refuse to even consider new ideas. It does not refer to people who consider new ideas and then rightly decide they are fucking stupid.

[clapclap] Argumentum ad hominem always makes you right! Thank you for your wonderful contribution to this discussion by merely saying that we're closed-minded for disagreeing with you on the subject of killing innocent people.

You're right...that option is biased...crap. Is there a way I can make a new one? Possibly just yes?

Ugh this thread makes me sound and feel like a jerk. But I'm still curious of ya'llz opinions >.<;;;

EDIT: AGHAGHAGH!!!!! THAT ISN'T RIGHT!!! >.< I wasn't calling you closed-minded for disagreeing with meh! I was saying it because of the impression I got from your posts! "I disagree with you, and you're an awful person for thinking the way you do," is kinda what I got out of it.... =/

I fixed the poll. :3

We've said our opinions of this thread in general. Now you should probably respond to them.

by this logic we should just stop curing diseases altogether, let nature take its course; hey, we get rid of over-population!

This is talking about people's lives. Many of these people have not actually done anything wrong other than possibly make bad decisions between them and their friends. Who exactly are you to decide that because some guy decided that he'd continue having sex after being infected with AIDS and probably didn't tell anyone that he's infected, other people should die from it?

There's a reason why the reaction is "I disagree and holy fuck what how the hell can you think this way." It's because you're in favour of sentencing people to death for not actually doing anything wrong.

And that's terrible.

ETA: It's also worth noting that people can get AIDS from blood transfusions. Being sentenced to death for daring to have surgery and someone else screwing up is at all humane how?

Ok...that option is...........a bit.......*coughcough* Is there any way you could return the one I had there, and then add another one saying, "yes," or perhaps, "yes, for a different reason," or just something that's not as mocking and sarcastic?

And what I think of your opinions...I don't know what I can say, because even saying anything with positive intentions (as in, for the sake of the sport of debating) without sounding like a jerk either way.
I'm kind of feeling like the posters so far aren't considering both sides equally (hence the closed-minded comment), because of their single answer and everything about how horrible I am for thinking what I do. I respect the fact that you think AIDS should be cured, or vaccinated, or just attempted to be helped, but I'd like to know exactly why you support the side you do (and please don't just say, "because I'm not a terrible person," or something), and why you think I'm wrong, without all of the, "Holy Fuck you suck I hate you how can you think that you're wrong fuckfuckfuck I like cursing at you because you're wrong," please.

I'm just curious about your opinions, alright? I'm not an evil maniacle person, ok? =)

EDIT: Oh, and Surskitty, even though you think it's wrong, it's an opinion. I'm entitled to it........
And Eevee? Ok, let's not be agreeable. Let's just tell everyone they're wrong because they disagree with us, and then get onto them for maybe kind of slightly doing the same thing a bit -.- (because I don't think I did)

[EDITS POLL AGAIN >:|]

Opinions can be wrong. Also, if you were worried about sounding like a jerk, you probably wouldn't have started this topic. Say what your thoughts are.

Please try to respond to posts.

I think I have. No offense - really, no offense - but I think what you did to the poll is kind of immature.

Read my last post, it describes my intentions... Not telling everyone that people should die because I hate them, not telling everyone that AIDS it great because of something someone heard on tv, no, my intentions are to see what your opinions are in a civilized way...but now I see that that's not possible. -.-

Seeing as this forum will contain discussion of controversial issues, it is only natural that effort should be made to keep it as civil as possible. Flaming is treated extra-harshly here; in fact, one 30-point flaming infraction will block you from accessing this forum for as long as the infraction remains active (three months).
~Butterfree

uhm, *pokes as civilized as possible*

I think I have. No offense - really, no offense - but I think what you did to the poll is kind of immature.

Read my last post, it describes my intentions... Not telling everyone that people should die because I hate them, not telling everyone that AIDS it great because of something someone heard on tv, no, my intentions are to see what your opinions are in a civilized way...but now I see that that's not possible. -.-
... yeah. It was. Sorry, overreacted.

You've heard various opinions. But this is kind of a debate thread so uh...?

OK, but - sorry- one more request. If it's not entirely too much trouble, could the options become "Yes", "No", "I don't know enough about the subject to answer", or "I just don't care"?

Anyway, I think that a cure for AIDS shouldn't be found because, it's a natural thing. Look at the world now. It's working nicely. I mean, there is alot of tension in places, but the human race is functioning - for the most part - well. Maybe not smoothly, but well enough. Curing AIDS would have a huge impact on our race, and would be a giant milestone for humans, but I just think that changing the world so drastically wouldn't be a good idea while we're moving along without that happening. I mean, it would cause a considerable population boom (less people dying, and more people being able to have children), which we wouldn't have to worry about for quite awhile, but it would make things a bit less smooth (economically?), add a bit more stress to some situations, and lowering hygene in cramped areas (also, kind of making them miserable). Eventually, communist-like actions would have to be taken to control this effect.
I also think that, without the threat of death by AIDS, more people (especially ignorant ones) would sleep around more. Now look me in the eye and tell me that that's not looked down upon in society. I know that some people would disagree, but I think that the majority of people don't consider it "moral." But - not dragging morals into this - more std's would be transmitted that way. I just kind of think that the human race survived through many pandemics before the disease that caused them was cured. Why not this one? I do see a fault in that logic, but not one that is dramatic enough to affect the survival of humanity.

Plus, nowadays, the likelyhood of being infected by a contaminated needle in the hospital of a developed country is almost zero. I'm not saying that druggies or sex-addicts deserve to get AIDS, I'm just saying that they have to live with their choices. Far be it from me to tell them they were wrong, but they did it to themselves.

well then we should never cure cancer and oops sorry all possible victims of polio or scarlet fever you have to get that too, I'm afraid

yeah I'm not sure why either but this guy called Fer-Snazzle said so so I guess it must be for a good reason...

No, seriously. Why the fuck does this thread exist? There are other, better ways to stop over-population than ... AIDS.

edit: and fuck you, people should not be punished simply because they have more sex than you do. Perhaps they should have used a condom but uh what if there's a hole? What if neither partner knew they were infected?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom