• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

[ASB Quest] Sandstone-Shadow & sanderidge vs Sceptile & Venusaur

Superbird

Fire emblem is great
[size=+2]ASB Quest Battle: Sandstone-Shadow & sanderidge vs Venusaur & Sceptile (Eifie)[/size]

The Arena said:
Skycrown Selva

DQ: 1 week
Damage Cap: 35%
Battle Style: Switch
Banned Moves: OHKOs, Destiny Bond, Perish Song, Chills 3/pokémon, Direct Healing 1/pokémon

The thick jungles of central Asber are largely unexplored, reaching as they do up into its jagged, impassable central mountain range. Deep in the forest grows a massive Ceiba tree, its roots alone rising higher than an adult human, its crown lost high overhead and its scarred trunk dotted with epiphytes and the tendrils of a huge strangler fig. The forest here has a peaceful air about it--one that can soon seem cloying and sinister when visitors find themselves constantly in danger of nodding off, alone and unprotected in the middle of the jungle.

The forest floor is dim, most light filtered away by the multi-layered canopy above, and there isn't much open room for fighting. The Ceiba overhead seems to always be in bloom, the ground around it littered with fallen pink petals. This is a place of great power, and one that's supposedly the home of terrifyingly strong grass-type pokémon.

Notes: Grassy terrain is always in effect, and the terrain cannot be changed. Weather has no effect in this arena.

Sandstone-Shadow's active squad

horsea Pertina the female Horsea <Swift Swim> @ Lucky Egg
ivysaur Sana the female Ivysaur <Overgrow> @ Metronome
fennekin Nefi the female Fennekin <Magician> @ Fire Stone
litwick Venus the female Litwick <Flash Fire> @ Dusk stone
gastly Dolon the male Gastly <Levitate> @ Scope Lens
wooper Itero the male Wooper <Water Absorb> @ Zoom Lens
murkrow Obsidian the male Murkrow <Super Luck> @ Razor Claw
larvitar Draka the female Larvitar <Guts> @ Muscle Band
kadabra Psyfox the male Kadabra <Inner Focus> @ Link Cable
omanyte Matia the female Omanyte <Swift Swim> @ Weakness Policy

sanderidge's active squad

prinplup Pipsnap the female Prinplup <Torrent>
sandslash Morei Rice Candy the female Sandslash <Sand Veil> @ Passho Berry
treecko Touabeld Ninjaspirit Tom the male Treecko <Unburden> @ Lucky Egg
noibat Soulbat the female Noibat <Infiltrator> @ Yache Berry
riolu Zan the male Riolu <Inner Focus> @ Eviolite
abra Dreamling the female Abra <Magic Guard> @ Link Cable
meowth Twinkletoes the male Meowth <Technician>
sandslash-alola ice cream sundae kid the female Alolan Sandslash <Snow Cloak>
togedemaru Triangle the female Togedemaru <Iron Barbs>
oricorio-pom-pom imposteround the female Oricorio <Dancer> @ Amulet Coin

The Opponents (as commanded by Eifie)

venusaur Venusaur (Female) <Chlorophyll> @ Leaf Stone [8XP]
sceptile Sceptile (Male) <Unburden> @ Miracle Seed [8XP]

To start us off...
~I'd first like to note that I've been asked not to include Stat Variance in quest battles, so if you're looking at my reffing scale at any point during this battle, you can ignore that part.
~I will almost certainly make mistakes during this battle (probably already have, in fact) so if you see any, call me out for them and I'll fix them as expediently as possible.
~ Sandstone-Shadow and sanderidge send out their pokémon, and declare their signature attributes if they have any.
~ Sandstone-Shadow and sanderidge order commands, in any order
~ Eifie orders commands for Venusaur and Sceptile
~ I ref.

Last edited:
Ha ha! Do you EARNESTLY believe you that can defeat ME-- ok this is too cringey I can't even quote it. idk if sanderidge has played ToS, anyway.

Bring it on, apprentice and disciple of mine!

Since no one's sent out any pokémon yet, I want to note that, as dictated here, I've given Venusaur and Sceptile the equivalent of 8 EXP. Keep this in mind when considering who to use for this battle.

I shall send out Sana! Go, my lovely grass starter, let's show your evolved form just how great you are.

Alrighty Sana, let's kick this off, shall we?

Your instructions are pretty simple so I'm just gonna give you the command string - you're a smart Ivysaur! If at any point your opponent is Protecting or you don't think you can hit them for whatever reason, Defense Curl instead.

Charm @ Sceptile / Defense Curl ~ Toxic @ Sceptile / Defense Curl ~ Sludge Bomb @ Sceptile (if Toxic didn't work) / Venoshock @ Sceptile (if Toxic DID work) / Defense Curl

hey, ninjaspirit tom! faithful lizardfriend, fresh out of the pc... let's see what we can get going!

you're much better without that little egg, so why not start by flinging it at venusaur? next power-up punch that dinosaur and end with a good acrobatics at sceptile. if there are subs, go ahead and keep doing your command for that action, but if they're protecting let's do some swords dancing. if you're poisoned on the third action and they're not protecting, take it out on them by using facade instead of acrobatics!

fling @ venusaur / swords dance ~ power-up punch @ venusaur / swords dance ~ acrobatics @ sceptile / swords dance / facade @ sceptile

Hah! You two will regret choosing to face me!

Hey Sceptile, did you know that Charm is blocked by Substitute? Make the biggest one you can, then hit Sana with Acrobatics twice (drop your Miracle Seed straight away; you don't need it).

Venusaur: Start with a small Substitute of your own, then Toxic Ninjaspirit Tom (one of my finest name creations) and finish with Venoshock.

Sceptile: drop Miracle Seed, Substitute (20%) ~ Acrobatics @ Sana ~ Acrobatics @ Sana
Venusaur: Substitute (10%) ~ Toxic @ Ninjaspirit Tom ~ Venoshock @ Ninjaspirit Tom

The Arena said:
Skycrown Selva

Banned Moves: OHKOs, Destiny Bond, Perish Song, Chills 3/pokémon, Direct Healing 1/pokémon

The thick jungles of central Asber are largely unexplored, reaching as they do up into its jagged, impassable central mountain range. Deep in the forest grows a massive Ceiba tree, its roots alone rising higher than an adult human, its crown lost high overhead and its scarred trunk dotted with epiphytes and the tendrils of a huge strangler fig. The forest here has a peaceful air about it--one that can soon seem cloying and sinister when visitors find themselves constantly in danger of nodding off, alone and unprotected in the middle of the jungle.

The forest floor is dim, most light filtered away by the multi-layered canopy above, and there isn't much open room for fighting. The Ceiba overhead seems to always be in bloom, the ground around it littered with fallen pink petals. This is a place of great power, and one that's supposedly the home of terrifyingly strong grass-type pokémon.

Notes: Grassy terrain is always in effect, and the terrain cannot be changed. Weather has no effect in this arena.

Confused pokémon peek out from amidst the shrubbery and frightened pokémon can be heard rustling away as Sandstone-Shadow and sanderidge make their way through the dense jungle. The journey is anything but easy, but after only a brief encounter with an angry Venipede, and a careful effort to avoid a Beedrill nest, but the two trainers manage to make it to a clearing in the Skycrown Selva in one piece.

The great tree at the other end of the clearing dwarfs even those around it, towering into the sky above even the other trees that surround it – a fixture of nature that must have been here for thousands of years, and will continue to be here for thousands more. The two visiting trainers stare in awe at the Ceiba tree, before bravely calling out a challenge to the guardians of this forest.

No sooner have they done so then a Sceptile drops to the base of the tree, appearing out of what seems like nowhere from the branches far above. Joining it, the ground begins to faintly shake with each footstep of a large venusaur that makes its way out from the other edge of the small clearing. The two Grass-types stare at the trainers, in tacit acceptance of their sacred challenge. And so, the trainers send out their pokémon, and the battle gets underway.

Round 1

Blue Corner
ivysaurmetronome
Sana – Ivysaur (♀) @ Metronome
Health: 100%
Energy: 100%
Type: Grass / Poison
Ability: Overgrow
Condition: Coolly staring down her evolved form.
Commands: Charm @ Sceptile / Defense Curl ~ Toxic @ Sceptile / Defense Curl ~ Sludge Bomb @ Sceptile / Venoshock @ Sceptile / Defense Curl

treeckolucky-egg
Touabeld Ninjaspirit Tom – Treecko (♂) @ Lucky Egg
Type: Grass
Ability: Unburden
Condition: Ready to exercise that ninja spirit.
Commands: Fling @ Venusaur / Swords Dance ~ Power-Up Punch @ Venusaur / Swords Dance ~ Acrobatics @ Sceptile / Swords Dance / Facade @ Sceptile

Red Corner
venusaurleaf-stone
Venusaur (♀) @ Leaf Stone
Ability: Chlorophyll
Condition: Stoic and unconcerned.
Commands: Substitute (10%) ~ Toxic @ Ninjaspirit Tom ~ Venoshock @ Ninjaspirit Tom

sceptilemiracle-seed
Sceptile (♂) @ Miracle Seed
Condition: Confident in the face of new challengers.
Commands: Drop Miracle Seed + Substitute (20%) ~ Acrobatics @ Sana ~ Acrobatics @ Sana​

As the light of her pokéball fades, Sana looks around. This place reminds her of where she grew up – and from the reaction of her partner, also looking around more eagerly, with a gleam in his eye as he glances up at the trees perfectly fit for acrobatic maneuvers, it does the same for him. Turning her attention to her opponents, Sana faces down her evolved form. The Venusaur looks down at her almost contemptfully as it reaches out some vines and begins to gather decayed foliage from the ground into a small pile. Maybe better to focus on her other opponent, then – Sana begins to use her own vines to wave in the air and attempt to draw Sceptile's attention.

To her credit, Sceptile does glance her way – but before she has a chance to do anything charming, he spits out his Miracle Seed onto the forest floor in front of him, using his powers as a Grass-type pokémon to make a cluster of plants and vines rise out around it, the seed at its core. The mass is sentient, looking back at its creator and giving a wry nod; the sight of the creation is enough to convince Sana that this endeavor will get nowhere.

Touabeld Ninjaspirit Tom is unconcerned with such things. He's just happy to be back in the forest he loves so much, ready to harness his inner ninja and use this forest's trees the way they're meant to be used. But for that to happen, he first has to get rid of the cumbersome egg he's been lugging around. Grabbing his Lucky Egg in one hand, he flings it at the Venusaur across the clearing. The grass dinosaur pokémon doesn't even acknowledge the attack; rather, the mass of foliage it's gathered together jumps up and intercepts the throw itself, taking a blow backwards but otherwise little worse for wear.

No matter; Touabelt Ninjaspirit Tom didn't expect that attack to be particularly strong. Nor this one, he thinks as he runs towards the Venusaur, power welling in his fist as he prepares to deliver a punch. As expected, his opponent's Substitute puts itself in the way of the attack; he can see that on impact it's starting to fall apart, but it might still be able to take another one of those. Not now, though, now that the power from the attack has seeped into Touabelt Ninjaspirit Tom, strengthening him for all his future attacks.

Venusaur doesn't let the Treecko escape quite so easily, however; before Tom has a chance to escape into the trees, she releases a spray of toxins from the huge flower on her back, catching Tom right in the face. The poison easily seeps into his bloodstream, and he begins to feel a nausea as he retreats cautiously from the much larger pokémon. He won't let this deter him.

Above Touabeld Ninjaspirit Tom and Venusaur, Sceptile flies through the air from tree to tree, capturing Sana's attention but moving too quickly for the poor Ivysaur to get a good read on where he is. Before she can realize her mistake, he pounces upon her, tearing into his partner's pre-evolved form with a vicious fury and darting away before she has a chance to retaliate. Not that Sana doesn't try – the Ivysaur is pretty quick to try much the same tactic as her evolved form did to Tom, but this time it doesn't work out; though her aim is true, Sceptile's Substitute jumps to its rescue, putting itself in the path of the poison and braving the attack, no worse for wear.

Sceptile doesn't let up, taking the opportunity his Substitute provided him for all it's worth, and once again swooping down from the trees to rake Sana harshly with his tail, giving her a little bit of extra damage as he pushes off of her to leap back into the treetops. Touabeld Ninjaspirit Tom is done preparing now, though, and he's ready to unleash his ninjitsu to hep his partner out. He wastes no time climbing up the nearest tree he can and jumping from there to another, slightly higher-up. As a Treecko, he quickly puzzles out his evolved form's pattern – the Sceptile isn't really focusing on him, anyhow – and just as the bigger gecko pokémon appears Tom takes his chance, and channels his nausea and discomfort into an attack backed by the power from his last.

It's a good, solid hit, but it's on the wrong target. Sceptile's Substitute blocks the attack at the last moment, flying out of the trees and hitting the ground, while Sceptile himself slips away back into the treetops. Regardless, Sana takes her opportunity to shoot a bigger ball of sludge than last time at the Substitute, to, if nothing else, ensure that it won't be bothering her and her partner in the future. Her attack strikes true, and it's more effective this time – on impact, the Substitute crumbles into its component parts, the Miracle Seed at its core falling to the ground and getting lost in the grass.

Touabeld Ninjaspirit Tom is reasonably satisfied with this outcome, but as he watches the Substitute fall apart from a tree branch, he rebukes himself for not managing to hit Sceptile himself. His brooding is interrupted, however, by a spray of acid that knocks the Treecko clear off the tree branch and crashing to the ground. Venusaur seems to almost be grinning at the success of its Venoshock, the attack sinking into Tom's skin, assisted by the poison, and worsening the Treecko's nausea for a few moments before the gecko pokémon regains enough presence of mind to shake the attack off. He gets to his feet beside his partner, and shoots her a glance. This is going to be a tough battle, no doubt.

End of Round 1

Blue Corner
ivysaurmetronome
Health: 67% (CAPPED)
Energy: 88%
Condition: Somewhat flustered; slightly overwhelmed.
Actions: Charm @ Sceptile ~ Toxic @ Sceptile ~ Sludge Bomb @ Sceptile

treecko
Touabeld Ninjaspirit Tom – Treecko (♂)
Health: 74%
Condition: Acknowledging his worthy opponents.
Status: Attack +1. Badly poisoned (1%). Unburden activated.
Actions: Fling @ Venusaur ~ Power-Up Punch @ Venusaur ~ Acrobatics @ Sceptile

Red Corner
substitute.png
leaf-stone
Health: 4% \ 93%
Energy: 84%
Condition: Stoic – above all this, figuratively.
Actions: Substitute (10%) ~ Toxic @ Tom ~ Venoshock @ Tom

sceptile
Sceptile (♂)
Health: 83%
Energy: 78%
Condition: Clearly confident – above all this, literally.
Actions: Substitute (20%) ~ Acrobatics @ Sana ~ Acrobatics @ Sana​

Arena Notes
~Grassy Terrain is in effect.
~A Miracle Seed lies somewhere in the grass in the middle of the battlefield.
~A Lucky Egg lies in the grass near Venusaur, in danger of being stepped on.

Referee Notes
~This is your daily reminder that, while I may take liberties with turn order in the write-up, I don't do so in the calcs. If you do find any mistakes I've made in those, please tell me as soon as possible, so that I may fix them.
~The Substitutes do not recover health from Grassy Terrain, just as they don't in the games. The pokémon behind them do, however.
~Friendly note, Acrobatics will do more damage than Facade for Tom, due to being super effective.

Next Round
~Eifie commands for Sceptile and Venusaur
~Sandstone-Shadow and sanderidge issue commands for Sana and Toubaled Ninjaspirit Tom

Speed Order: Sceptile (120) > Venusaur (80) > Tom (70) > Sana (60)
Action 1
~Sceptile drops its Miracle Seed
~Sceptile uses Substitute, for 20% health and 10% energy
~Venusaur uses Substitute, for 10% health and 5% energy
~Tom uses Fling on Venusaur (with its Lucky Egg), dealing 3Base = 3% damage for 2% energy
~Venusaur's Substitute takes the attack (7% remaining).
~Sana uses Charm on Sceptile, for 2% energy. The Substitute blocks the attack.
~Grassy Terrain restores 1% health to all combatants.
Speed order: Sceptile (240) > Tom (140) > Venusaur (80) > Sana (60)
Action 2
~Sceptile uses Acrobatics on Sana, dealing (11Base * 1.5Type + 2EXP) = 18% damage for 6% energy.
~Tom uses Power-Up Punch on Venusaur, dealing (4Base * 0.66Type) = 3% damage for 3% energy
~Venusaur's Substitute blocks the attack (4% remaining)
~Tom's Attack increases.
~Venusaur uses Toxic on Tom, for 4% energy
~Tom is badly poisoned.
~Sana uses Toxic on Sceptile, for 4% energy
~Sceptile's Substitute blocks the attack.
Action 3
~Sceptile uses Acrobatics on Sana, dealing 18% damage for 6% energy
~Tom uses Facade on Sceptile, dealing (14Base * 1.16Boost) = 16% damage for 7% energy
~Sceptile's Substitute blocks the attack (4% remaining)
~Venusaur uses Venoshock on Tom, dealing (13Base * 1.25STAB * 1.5Type + 2EXP = 26% damage for 7% energy
~Sana uses Sludge Bomb on Sceptile, dealing (9Base * 1.25STAB * 1.5Type) = 17% damage for 6% energy
~Sceptile's Substitute blocks the attack, and breaks.
~Tom takes 1% damage from Toxic Poison
Summary
~Sana's Health: 100%Init - 18Acrobatics - 18Acrobatics + 2Grassy Terrain = 67% (Capped)
~Sana's Energy: 100%Init - 2Charm - 4Toxic - 6Sludge Bomb = 88%
~Tom's Health: 100%Init - 26Venoshock - 1Toxic + 1Grassy Terrain= 74%
~Tom's Energy: 100%Init - 2Fling - 3Power-up Punch - 7Facade = 88%
~Venusaur's Health: 100%Init - 10Substitute + 3Grassy Terrain = 93%
~Venusaur's Energy: 100%Init - 5Substitute - 4Toxic - 7Venoshock = 84%
~Venusaur's Substitute's Health: 10%Init - 3Fling - 3Power-up Punch = 4%
~Sceptile's Health: 100%Init - 20Substitute + 3Grassy Terrain = 83%
~Sceptile's Energy: 100%Init - 10Substitute - 6Acrobatics - 6Acrobatics = 78%
~Sceptile's Substitute's Health: 20%Init - 16Facade - 17Sludge Bomb = 0%

Last edited:
The damage cap is 35%, so I think Sana should have slightly more health, right?

Oh! Also, in your action calcs, it says that Grassy Terrain restored 1% for each combatant all three actions, but it looks like Sana and Tom only gained 2 and 1, respectively - is that right?

The damage cap is 35%, so I think Sana should have slightly more health, right?

Oh! Also, in your action calcs, it says that Grassy Terrain restored 1% for each combatant all three actions, but it looks like Sana and Tom only gained 2 and 1, respectively - is that right?

Keep in mind that Grassy Terrain healing is calculated per action, and that I aggregate it at the end of the round, in the calcs. You can see in the action-by-action calcs, though the summary simplifies it.

Sana and Tom were at 100% health at the end of Action 1, so they didn't recover health on that action. Similarly, Tom was at 100% health at the end of Action 2, so he didn't recover any health on that action either.

Sana brushed up against the damage cap but didn't hit it – 18% damage at the on action 2, recover 1%, and then another 18%. It adds up to 35% exactly.

That said, I just realized I forgot to apply Poison damage for Tom, so I've updated the reffing to reflect that.

Sana brushed up against the damage cap but didn't hit it – 18% damage at the on action 2, recover 1%, and then another 18%. It adds up to 35% exactly.

The damage cap is for damage actually taken, not the net difference, so the second Acrobatics should have done 1% less.

Hmph! You two don't stand a chance!

Sceptile: Start with a Safeguard, then continue with the Acrobatics at Sana. If she has clones or you're unable to hit her, try X-Scissor at Tom; if he has clones or you can't hit him, Swords Dance.

Venusaur: Put up a Light Screen and then keep on Venoshocking Tom. If Tom tries to use Acrobatics, doesn't have a Substitute or clones, and you're able to reach him, Block him the first time he does (if he does have a Substitute, stick with Venoshock). If either opponent has clones, get rid of them with String Shot; also use it if you're unable to hit Tom for whatever reason.

Sceptile: Safeguard ~ Acrobatics @ Sana / X-Scissor @ Tom / Swords Dance ~ Acrobatics @ Sana / X-Scissor @ Tom / Swords Dance

Venusaur: Light Screen ~ Venoshock @ Tom / Block @ Tom / String Shot ~ Venoshock @ Tom / Block @ Tom / String Shot

right tom, let's get going! first off, if at any time you don't think you can fulfill your set command for an action, do a swords dance. hopefully that will remain unnecessary.

start off with all your attractive capabilities and aim all those at venusaur! then keep cozying up to her with captivate. finally, show off with an acrobatics at sceptile! good luck, my ninja-in-training.

attract @ venusaur / swords dance ~ captivate @ venusaur / swords dance ~ acrobatics @ sceptile / swords dance

Alright Sana! We're in a tough situation here, but we believe! We can do this!! We are strong and mighty and these evolved 'mons will see what it really means to be part of a team!!

That Sceptile's been pretty violent, no? Let's Charm him into being a little nicer to you. Then, let's go ahead and Attract him, too - hopefully he won't hit you so hard next time! End with a Sludge Bomb - that Light Screen might soften it a bit, but try to make it really impressive! You want to show off, after all!

If for any reason you can't hit your target due to substitute, clones, protect, a tree fell down on someone and you can't see them, whatever, just Defense Curl instead.

Charm @ Sceptile / Defense Curl ~ Attract @ Sceptile / Defense Curl ~ Sludge Bomb @ Sceptile / Defense Curl

The Arena said:
Skycrown Selva

Round 2

Blue Corner
ivysaurmetronome
Health: 67%
Commands: Charm @ Sceptile / Defense Curl ~ Attract @ Sceptile / Defense Curl ~ Sludge Bomb @ Sceptile / Defense Curl

treecko
Health: 74%
Status: Attack +1. Badly poisoned (1%). Unburden activated.
Commands: Attract @ Venusaur / Swords Dance ~ Captivate @ Venusaur / Swords Dance ~ Acrobatics @ Sceptile / Swords Dance

Red Corner
substitute.png
leaf-stone
Health: 4% \ 93%
Energy: 84%
Commands: Light Screen ~ Venoshock @ Tom / Block @ Tom / String Shot ~ Venoshock @ Tom / Block @ Tom / String Shot

sceptile
Sceptile (♂)
Health: 83%
Energy: 78%
Commands: Safeguard ~ Acrobatics @ Sana / X-Scissor @ Tom / Swords Dance ~ Acrobatics @ Sana / X-Scissor @ Tom / Swords Dance​

As Toubaled Ninjaspirit Tom continues to recover from Venusaur's attack, Sceptile emerges from the trees and lands gracefully next to the Seed Pokémon. Splaying his arms out to both sides, the big gecko pokémon concentrates, and within a moment a ripple of light washes over him and his partner, coalescing into a faintly-rippling shield. The Safeguard, to Tom and Sana, is almost mesmerising, and it gives Tom an idea. He brazenly calls out to Venusaur, giving her a sly nod and almost bowing a bit, deferring to the might she displayed last round.

Venusaur isn't entirely sure what to think of this. As it deliberates, she notices Sana doing something similar to Sceptile – the Ivysaur is smiling surprisingly girlishly at Sceptile, expressing her admiration. And while the action isn't quite as overt as what Tom just did, it does seem to have an effect. Sceptile even seems caught off-guard by the action, getting noticeably embarrassed at the praise.

However, the way Sceptile deals with complicated feelings is to just ignore them. Now that he's set up the Safeguard, he leaps back up into the trees to gain momentum, and after a moment of that he leaps out again and acrobatically strikes Sana. Just before impact, the Ivysaur looks at him, a sadness in her eyes – and it gives him pause. The resulting attack isn't quite as strong as it might have been. And before he can retreat once again, Sana mets his eye, and as he reaches the nearest tree he doesn't continue jumping around, instead opting to cling to the trunk and watch her. Extending some vines, Sana makes a heart shape with them, and Sceptile suddenly finds himself feeling quite guilty.

This approach seems to be working, Tom thinks. To that end, he prepares to try and Captivate Venusaur in the same way that Sana just Charmed Sceptile; but as he begins, he notices Venusuar's substitute, the sentient bundle of leaves standing in his way. He knows how Substitutes work, he thinks, and it would interpret that action as a threat; so instead, he falls back on his marvelous Dancing Ninjitsu. With a sharp whistle, Toubaled Ninjaspirit Tom tries to grab Venusaur's attention; and when he succeeds, he begins a ritual dance, showing off his knowledge and stylish athletic prowess to the Seed Pokémon.

Venusaur is, unfortunately, not all that impressed. He is impressive, admittedly, but Venusaur would have preferred a more romantic gesture from someone trying to woo her. Perhaps, she thinks, a sharp Venoshock will change his behavior for the better. This she does, releasing another splash of venom that strikes Tom straight out of his dance as her Substitute graciously moves out of the way of the attack. The Treecko lets out a pained screech, admittedly not that attractive, as the attack washes over him, twice as effective for the poison running through his veins, and he falls to his knees as he tries to endure the attack.

His pre-evolution's struggles have not escaped Sceptile's eyes. It's harsh, he can admit, but upon giving it a little bit of thought, the larger Grass-type makes a quick determination that if his partner was willing to do such a thing to her paramour, her own pre-evolution might try to do the same to him. To that end, he might be better off giving Sana a warning of what will happen if she tries the same – yeah, that sounds like a decent idea. Mind made up, Sceptile leaps from his tree, doing a graceful frontflip in the air before stomping on Sana and jumping back into the foliage, meeting her eyes. He softened the attack for her, again, but she should get the message by now.

He begins to reevaluate his position in short order, when tears begin to well towards the edges of Sana's heartbroken eyes. The Ivysaur spends a short moment coming to terms with her feelings, but only that; before Sceptile has properly thought through the consequences of his action, she has released a Sludge Bomb straight in his direction. The attack is a solid hit, almost knocking Sceptile off-balance on its tree branch.

Tom notices his partner, and shakes himself off from the Venoshock. He really ought to help her out. To that end, he forces himself up off the ground, and uses his own athletic ability to jump into the trees. While the Sceptile is still reeling, Toubaled Ninjaspirit Tom smashes into the back of his evolved form – out of nowhere, as befits the ninjaspirit. Caught by surprise, the bigger Gecko pokémon falls harshly to the ground.

Tom revels in the takedown for just a moment, until another wave of venom crashes into him, flying clear over Sana and Sceptile, and knocks him off the tree as well. Venusaur has standards, it has decided, and Tom does not seem to meet them – he should be focusing on her, if he wants to win her affection, not on his teammate. And attacking her partner? Not cool. The seed pokémon watches, satisfied, as Tom does his best to shake himself off, his evolved counterpart doing so much quicker and retreating back to Venusaur's side of the battlefield.

End of Round 2

Blue Corner
ivysaurmetronome
Health: 42%
Energy: 76%
Actions: Charm @ Sceptile ~ Attract @ Sceptile ~ Sludge Bomb @ Sceptile

treecko
Health: 42% (CAPPED)
Energy: 75%
Status: Unburden activated. Attack +3. Badly poisoned (2%).
Actions: Attract @ Venusaur ~ Swords Dance ~ Acrobatics @ Sceptile

Red Corner
substitute.png
leaf-stone
Health: 4% \ 96%
Energy: 70%
Actions: [Infatuated] ~ Venoshock @ Tom ~ Venoshock @ Tom

sceptile
Sceptile (♂)
Health: 51% (CAPPED)
Energy: 63%
Status: 8xp. Unburden activated. Attack -2. Protected by Safeguard (2 more actions)
Actions: Safeguard ~ Acrobatics @ Sana ~ Acrobatics @ Sana​

Arena Notes
~Grassy Terrain is in effect.
~A Miracle Seed lies somewhere in the grass in the middle of the battlefield.
~A Lucky Egg lies in the grass near Venusaur, in danger of being stepped on.

Referee Notes
~As always, if you see anything off with the calcs, please tell me and I'll fix it as soon as possible.
~Attract is both not blocked by Safeguard and not blocked by Substitute.
~"Fulfill your set command" is kind of vague, sanderidge, but I decided to give you the benefit of the doubt here – Captivate would have been blocked by Substitute, so on Action 2 Tom used Swords Dance instead.
~Venusaur is much slower than Tom and Block doesn't have increased priority, so with the way I interpreted Eifie's command, Venusaur could not use Block on action 3 and so defaulted to Venoshock.

Next Round
~Sandstone-Shadow and sanderidge issue commands for Sana and Toubaled Ninjaspirit Tom
~Eifie commands for Sceptile and Venusaur

Speed Order: Sceptile (240) > Tom (140) > Venusaur (80) > Sana (60)
Action 1
~Sceptile uses Safeguard, for an initial 1% energy
~Sceptile is protected by Safeguard (4 more actions)
~Tom uses Attract on Venusaur, for 4% energy
~Venusaur is infatuated with Tom (50%)
~Venusaur is too infatuated to act (roll: 45\50)
~Venusaur's infatuation chance becomes 40%
~Sana uses Charm on Sceptile, for 2% energy
~Sceptile's Attack harshly falls.
~The grassy terrain restores 1% health to all battlers
Action 2
~Sceptile uses Acrobatics on Sana, dealing (11Base * 1.5Type * 0.75Boost + 2EXP) = 14% damage for 6% energy.
~Sceptile is protected by Safeguard (1%) (3 more actions)
~Tom uses a particularly Captivating Swords Dance, for 2% energy
~Tom's Attack rises sharply
~Venusaur's Infatuation chance rises to 45%.
~Venusaur is infatuated but manages to attack anyway (roll: 46\45)
~Venusaur's Infatuation chance becomes 35%
~Venusaur uses Venoshock, dealing (13Base * 1.25STAB * 1.5Type + 2EXP) = 26% damage for 7% energy
~Venusaur's Infatuation chance becomes 22%
~Sana uses Attract, for 4% energy
~Sceptile is infatuated with Sana (50%)
~The grassy terrain restores 1% health to all battlers.
Action 3[/size]
~Sceptile is infatuated, but manages to attack anyway (roll: 63\50)
~Sceptile's Infatuation chance becomes 40%
~Sceptile uses Acrobatics on Sana, dealing 14% damage for 6% energy
~Sceptile's Infatuation chance becomes 33%
~Sceptile is protected by Safeguard (1%) (2 more actions)
~Tom uses Acrobatics on Sceptile, dealing (11Base * 1.5Type * 1.5Boost) = 25% damage, for 7% energy
~Venusaur is infatuated but manages to attack anyway (roll: 26\22)
~Venusaur's Infatuation chance becomes 12%
~(13Base * 1.25STAB * 1.5Type + 2EXP) = 26% damage (Capped) for 7% energy
~Venusaur is no longer infatuated.
~Sana uses Sludge Bomb on Sceptile, dealing (9Base * 1.25STAB * 1.5Type = 17% damage (Capped) for 6% energy
~Sceptile is no longer infatuated.
~The grassy terrain restores 1% health to all battlers
~Tom takes 2% damage from Poison
Summary:
Sana's Health: 67Init - 14Acrobatics - 14Acrobatics + 3Grassy Terrain= 42%
Sana's Energy: 88Init - 2Charm - 4Attract - 6Sludge Bomb = 76%
Tom's Health: 74Init - 26Venoshock - 26Venoshock - 2Poison+ 3Grassy Terrain= 42% (CAPPED)
Tom's Energy: 88Init - 4Attract - 2Swords Dance - 7Acrobatics = 75%
Venusaur's Health: 93Init - 3Grassy Terrain = 96%
Venusaur's Energy: 84Init - 7Venoshock - 7Venoshock = 70%
Venusaur's Substitute's Health: 4Init = 4%
Sceptile's Health: 83Init - 25Acrobatics - 17Sludge Bomb + 3Grassy Terrain = 51% (CAPPED)
Sceptile's Energy: 78Init - 6Acrobatics - 6Acrobatics - 3Safeguard = 63%

Back
Top Bottom