• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Chaining

The chance is higher than that; about 1/200 (.5%). It sounds lower than it is--it takes lots of resetting, but 35,000 steps from the start of a chain, I had 7 shiny Eevees, so it's not all that bad. It takes a lot of resetting, though; I've reset the Poké Radar over 1,000 times since I started chaining.

I heard that if you get over 40 pokemon in a chain, you get a negative percentage for a shiny. Is that true? And, what does that mean?

No, it absolutely isn't true. Getting over 40 does not affect your percentage in the least. I'll find the algorithm somewhere...
Pok%C3%A9RadarShinyFormula.png

There we go. For Notory, I'll post the algorithm:
Shiny percentage=14747-40 times number of Pokémon in your chain (up to 40)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
2621440 times 41-number of Pokémon in your chain (up to 40)

After that, the percentages don't change.

Decided to randomly chain the first thing I saw. It was a Pikachu. Got a shiny as #41. Without even using static! If only my luck could transfer.

I'm having trouble chaining Mightyena on Route 214 (the one south of Veilstone). I'm always going to the patch farthest from me, but my chain breaks at 20 or so anyway. Normally I would have gotten a shiny by now, but my chain breaks even at the farthest patch. I always go to the ones shaking hard. Is it just Mightyena's rarity or am I doing something wrong, or missing something that I should do? Any tips for chaining it in particular?

Well, as far as I can tell, chains sometimes break for absolutely no reason. So you just try again.

I've found that the farthest away might actually be worse than if there's one that's just four away and fulfills requirements. Also, don't listen to people about diagonals or any unsafe spot. They almost never break my chain. Same with adjacent squares.

Basically, you just keep trying. Still haven't gotten a shiny eevee and I've been doing it for about a week or so.

I don't really pay attention to the "adjacent squares" thing.

I guess I'm just too worried to go to the "three" ring, since my theory goes by rings around you, and due to Mightyena's rarity (sounds like it's the case) I guess I don't want to break my chain. I've never tried the "three" ring ones.

Also, last night I dreamed that I was chaining and I encountered some grass that shook so hard it left a shadow on the screen before my eyes. I think I've been trying for Mightyena too much. @.@ My heart hasn't exactly been in Animal Crossing lately.

I know... I just said that I always go to the fourth ring and it often breaks, even if I choose the same kind of shaking patch. I tried out the three ring sometimes too, and that seems to work, even though I'm still puzzled...

Let's just all agree that chaining is frustrating and leave it at that. Or we could find the creators of it and shake them until they tell us all their secrets.

I've never given much thought to chaining and never done a whole lot of it. After reading this thread, I'm considering doing it on Diamond and Platinum (if I ever get around to beating the Elite Four on Platinum.) I've chained a couple times and my highest I think was 13 Eevee.

The chance is higher than that; about 1/200 (.5%). It sounds lower than it is--it takes lots of resetting, but 35,000 steps from the start of a chain, I had 7 shiny Eevees, so it's not all that bad. It takes a lot of resetting, though; I've reset the Poké Radar over 1,000 times since I started chaining.

Hmm... .5%, huh? Doesn't that make around 2%, since each grass patch has a .5% chance of being a shiny and there are usually four of them? :D

Hmm... .5%, huh? Doesn't that make around 2%, since each grass patch has a .5% chance of being a shiny and there are usually four of them? :D

Nope. I was trying to tell you earlier, only the Pokemon you are chaining has a heightened chance of being shiny. Thus the chance is only about 1% at maximum for non-swarming Pokémon, since only one or two patches (usually) have the Pokémon you're chaining.

I know that I will most likely get a wave of frustrated "What the Hell!!??"s from this but... How exactly does chaining work? I fully understand the PokeRadar, but I never really learned to chain.

Well, I beat the Elite Four in Platinum, and I only need six more pokemon to get the pokeradar. And I still have no idea where my Diamond is, and it's where I've been chaining. =[

Back
Top Bottom