• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

[ASB Quest] I liek Squirtles vs Blastoise

Use Brine, then Surf, then Whirlpool. Attack even if she Protects, to make her waste energy. If you can't use your attacking move, or if she has a Substitute up, use Round. (If she has a Substitute but you can't use Round, just default to your other attacking move for that action, if you can use it, or do nothing if you can't.) If you're asleep, use Snore on the first and third actions or Chill on the second. Also Chill on the second action if you're confused, to try to reduce the severity of your confusion.

Brine / Round / Snore ~ Surf / Round / Chill ~ Whirlpool / Round / Snore

All right, let's see... Start with Confuse Ray. Follow up with Future Sight. Finish with a nice Cross Chop.

Confuse Ray~Future Sight~Cross Chop

Round Six

I liek Squirtles (2/2 left)
psyduck
birth ♀ @ King's Rock
Ability: Cloud Nine Rain Dish
Health: 36%
Energy: 55%

Blastoise
blastoise
Blastoise ♀ @ Water Stone
Ability: Rain Dish
Health: 81%
Energy: 45%
Status: Smirking at its unworthy foe. Surrounded by Aqua Ring (1% health/action). +2 Defense.

------------------------------​

Blastoise isn't just about to let up now, though – she hasn't rubbed in its victory yet. She decides to do so by shooting another torrent of water from her cannons, expertly aimed at the salty water around birth. The poor Psyduck flounders in the water amidst the attack, struggling to keep herself together even as the Brine seeps into her wounds and causes more and more sheer pain. But she pushes past the pain anyway (or at least, she does her best to) and soon releases a small bright light that slowly meanders its way towards Blastoise while birth continues to regain her composure.

Blastoise watches warily, settling down just a little as she realizes the light isn't harmful. It's interesting to watch, and she needs a little bit of a breather anyway – she is winning handily, of course but it's taken more effort so far than she bargained for. birth watches her opponent gaze at the Confuse Ray, transfixed, as she struggles to pull herself out of the water and onto one of the rocks littering the arena. There, she uses what little psychic abilities she has to look into the future, and reassure herself a little bit. She focuses, hoping that her opponent doesn't notice and take an opportunity, and after a moment a picture comes into view. It's Blastoise, eating a blast of psychic energy. Reassuring.

Unfortunately, as birth scries the future, Blastoise happens to notice. Taking her eyes off of the dazzling orb of light for a moment, she lazily sprays a precise stream of water from her cannons, not at birth but at the waters around her rock. Blastoise knows this arena well, and she knows exactly how to manipulate the currents of water; and this she does, the water beginning to ripple around birth's rock and start moving, faster and faster, until a whirlpool is rising out of the water, enveloping the rock. That problem taken care of, Blastoise contentedly returns to gazing at her shiny light orb.

birth opens her eyes only to see a veil of water. The sudden change in scenery is thoroughly startling – this wasn't where she was when she started her Future Sight attack, so what changed? No, she can't have just been transported somewhere else, she doesn't even know Teleport. There's got to be a better answer. And so, the Psyduck squints, doing her best to see through what she soon realizes is a Whirlpool. Oh, that's fine then, she thinks, as she tries to jump through it to attack her opponent once more. She is unsuccessful in this venture – for all her current preoccupation, Blastoise is still a very strong pokémon, and the whirlpool is far too powerful for birth to simply pass through unscathed. Stymied, and caught once more flailing in the water – and sternly reminded of her own frailty – birthis once again forced to take a hard look at her situation.

psyduck
birth ♀ @ King's Rock
Health: 20%
Energy: 47%
Status: Increasingly disheartened. Future Sight pending (2 more actions). Trapped in a whirlpool (1% damage/action, 3 more actions).
Used: Confuse Ray ~ Future Sight ~ nothing

Blastoise
blastoise
Health: 87%
Energy: 51%
Status: Distracted. Surrounded by Aqua Ring (1% health/action). Moderately confused (30% failure chance). 2 Chills left. +2 Defense.
Used: Brine ~ Chill ~ Whirlpool

Arena Status
  • The rain is pouring down. A harsh wind howls through the arena.

Damage and Energy
  • birth's Health: 36% - 14% (Brine) - 4% (Whirlpool) + 3% (Rain Dish) - 1% (Whirlpool) = 21%
  • birth's Energy: 55% - 4% (Confuse Ray) - 7% (Future Sight) + 3% (Rain Dish) = 47%
  • Blastoise's Health: 81% + 3% (Rain Dish) + 3% (Aqua Ring) = 87%
  • Blastoise's Energy: 45% - 6% (Brine) + 10% (Chill) - 1% (Whirlpool) + 3% (Rain Dish) = 51%

Notes
  • Speed order: Blastoise (78) > birth (55).
  • Chilling deducted an extra 10% from Blastoise's confusion failure chance (on top of the 5% per action deduction).
  • There was no way birth would have been able to hit with Cross Chop while trapped in a whirlpool.
  • Calcs from this round were done by Effie, writing by me. For the remainder of this battle, I could either continue to do calcs the way Effie was doing them, or I could do them by my own reffing scale – when you command, say which you'd prefer. By default it'll just be continuing the way it's being done now.
  • I liek Squirtles commands first.

This isn't looking too good, b i r t h...

Use Hydro Pump to propel yourself out of the Whirlpool. If it works, use Telekinesis and Worry Seed. If not, switch to Aerial Ace to escape. If they Protect against Worry Seed, Chill.

Hydro Pump~Telekinesis/Aerial Ace~Worry Seed/Aerial Ace/Chill

I'm fine with either scale for calcs, Superbird!

Chill out and then hit b i r t h some more. If Brine doesn't work, make a medium Substitute instead of Water Pulse.

Chill ~ Brine ~ Water Pulse / Substitute (15)

Round Seven

psyduck
birth ♀ @ King's Rock
Health: 20%
Energy: 47%
Status: Increasingly disheartened. Future Sight pending (2 more actions). Trapped in a whirlpool (1% damage/action, 3 more actions).

Blastoise
blastoise
Health: 87%
Energy: 51%
Status: Distracted. Surrounded by Aqua Ring (1% health/action). Moderately confused (30% failure chance). 2 Chills left. +2 Defense.

The next round begins, and Blastoise still has its priorities straight. It's still a bit tired, though not quite as much as before, and the light fluttering around it, while no longer quite as interesting as before, is still nice to look at. birth, it reasons, is still trapped in the whirlpool and probably isn't gonna be going anywhere for awhile, so it has some time.

birth has different ideas. Thinking quickly, the yellow duck pokémon decides to fire a Hydro Pump attack at the water beneath itself, and use the force to propel itself upwards and outwards. The Whirlpool is tall, but birth isn't that heavy, and as Blastoise finishes relaxing it sees its opponent flying somewhat less-than-gracefully out of the top of the whirlpool. At the peak of its arc, birth momentarily loses composure, starting to flail desperately in the air, only barely assuming the proper diving form as it descends towards the water.

Thankfully, that last-minute adjustment proves to be enough for birth to pierce into the water, and swim back up to the surface unharmed, and free from the whirlpool. The duck pokémon hops onto one of the rocks littering the arena as it emerges from the water, finally having a free moment to glare at Blastoise. But the big turtle pokémon is prepared; it's had quite a bit of time now to prepare an attack, and it unleashes that attack now. Before birth can even catch its breath, Blastoise releases another shower of saltwater from its cannons.

birth hisses in pain from the attack, its vision going blurry for a moment, but it shakes its head resiliently. It's still standing, so it has to keep fighting for its trainer! With conviction, birth uses its latent psychic power to pick up Blastoise, and...just that, actually. The Psyduck might be able to slam Blastoise against something, but instead it just lets the turtle pokémon sit there, levitating in the air. Blastoise, a little bit surprised at this development, nevertheless regains its composure pretty quickly, and realizes that birth made a mistake in positioning its opponent in such a way that its cannons are still pointed the right direction.

Before birth can remedy this situation, Blastoise takes the opportunity to launch another water attack from its cannons. This one is a fair bit weaker than its last attack, but also easier for it to use; it still has a sizable impact, knocking birth handily off of the rock it's standing on, and into the water.

birth sees stars, almost blacking out from the impact; but a moment later, they're gone, and it's flailing in the water once again. Fighting to stay conscious, the determined Psyduck claws its way back onto the rock, and spits out a small seed that flies through the air and lands on the back of Blastoise's shell. A hard shell it is, but the seed seems to burrow right through it as it blossoms, altering the shell's structure just a little bit, making it unable to absorb water like before. birth is on its last legs, sure, but it's not going down without a fight, that's for sure.

psyduck
birth ♀ @ King's Rock
Health: 2%
Energy: 36%
Used: Hydro Pump ~ Telekinesis ~ Worry Seed

Blastoise
blastoise
Ability: Rain Dish Insomnia
Health: 80%
Energy: 56%
Status: Feeling okay. Surrounded by Aqua Ring (1% health/action). Suspended by Telekinesis (1 more action). Moderately confused (5% failure chance). 1 Chill left. +2 Defense.
Used: Chill ~ Brine ~ Water Pulse

Arena Status

Damage and Energy
  • birth's Health: 20% - 14% (Brine) - 7% (Water Pulse) + 3% (Rain Dish) = 2%
  • birth's Energy: 47% - 7% (Hydro Pump) - 4% (Telekinesis) - 3% (Worry Seed) + 3% (Rain Dish) = 36%
  • Blastoise's Health: 87% - 12% (Future Sight) + 2% (Rain Dish) + 3% (Aqua Ring) = 80%
  • Blastoise's Energy: 51% + 10% (Chill) - 6% (Brine) - 1% (Water Pulse) + 2% (Rain Dish) = 55%

Notes
  • Let us generously assume Hydro Pump has the force of a fire hose (400psi), and that Psyduck's "area" is a circle with radius ¼ its height. Then, the force Hydro Pump exerts on Psyduck is 346.6 kN, which is many times more than would be required to launch Psyduck's 43 pounds out of the whirlpool. Hydro Pump is almost certainly strong enough for this.
  • birth just barely survived the Water Pulse.
  • Keldeo commands first.

Last edited:
Whoops. Aura Sphere it up, or Water Pulse if you can't use that.

Aura Sphere ~ Aura Sphere / Water Pulse x2

Water Pulse should have cost 1 energy rather than 2 because its secondary effect chance isn't more than 20% and there's an energy reduction from both Water Stone and STAB, right?

Water Pulse should have cost 1 energy rather than 2 because its secondary effect chance isn't more than 20% and there's an energy reduction from both Water Stone and STAB, right?

Huh, I didn't realize Eifie was doing that (I usually don't, but I'm using her scale for the rest of this battle, to maintain consistency), but looking back on other calcs (Water Spout, Whirlpool, Scald) I guess she was. But that makes her Brine calcs from earlier not make sense (at double power, its base energy should 7%, and she calced it to cost 6% total).

Well, whatever. I'll go ahead and change Water Pulse.

Looks like the end of the line, b i r t h.

If you can, combo Endure and Frustration. If you can't do that, just Endure. Follow up with Protect, and if you're still somehow up and didn't use the combo, Frustration.

Endure+Frustration/Endure~Protect~Frustration

Round Eight

psyduck
birth ♀ @ King's Rock
Health: 2%
Energy: 36%

Blastoise
blastoise
Health: 80%
Energy: 56%
Status: Feeling okay. Surrounded by Aqua Ring (1% health/action). Suspended by Telekinesis (1 more action). Moderately confused (5% failure chance). 1 Chill left. +2 Defense.

Blastoise can easily see its opponent's weakness now – Psyduck is making no effort to hide the fact that it's on its last legs. But it's definitely not going to go down without a fight. Blastoise watches for a moment as Psyduck steels itself for the attack it knows is coming. Well, soon enough, it does, as Blastoise forms a ball of fighting-type energy that flies directly at Psyduck. There's no chance for the duck pokémon to dodge the attack, but it doesn't even attempt to; no, it launches itself at the attack, bursting through and striking Blastoise as hard as it can, as a final show of effort before it passes out in front of the huge turtle pokémon. The master of the Stormbound Sea gives his opponent a measure of respect as its body turns into plasma and retreats into its trainer's poké ball – it had some guts, at least.

psyduck
birth ♀ @ King's Rock
Health: 0%
Energy: 25%
Used: Endure + Frustration

Blastoise
blastoise
Health: 75%
Energy: 52%
Status: Ready for the next challenger. Surrounded by Aqua Ring (1% health/action). 1 Chill left. +2 Defense.
Used: Aura Sphere

Arena Status

Damage and Energy
  • birth's Health: 2% - 10%(Aura Sphere) = 0%
  • birth's Energy: 36% - 11%(Endure+Frustration) = 25%
  • Blastoise's Health: 80% - 6%(Endure+Frustration) + 1%(Aqua Ring) = 75%
  • Blastoise's Energy: 56% - 4%(Aura Sphere) = 52%

Notes
  • I'm gonna say Endure + Frustration works something like Last Resort or Counter or Struggle, a last-ditch desperation attack that, while it doesn't stop the user from fainting, does allow them to launch one last attack before they do, regardless of speed. It dealt 6% (80-ish base power) damage for 11% energy.
  • As a result, birth passed out at the end of the first action.
  • ILS sends out the next pokémon, and commands first.

A grand performance from b i r t h! Fought til the last...
Time for your debut, Mr. Gassatoo!

Kick us off with a 10% Sub. Then fire off a Thunderbolt or Dragon Dance if Protecting. For your final action, Taunt if she's paralyzed, Dragon Dance if she's Protecting, and Thunderbolt otherwise.

Substitute (10%)~Thunderbolt/Dragon Dance~Taunt/Dragon Dance/Thunderbolt

Destroy the sub with Surf, then Mirror Coat to reflect the Thunderbolt and Mimic it. If Surf didn't break the Substitute for some reason, use Power-Up Punch on the second action and shift Mirror Coat back to the third. If you were paralyzed by Thunderbolt on the second action, use Icy Wind instead of whatever you would be using otherwise.

Surf ~ Mirror Coat / Power-Up Punch ~ Mimic (Thunderbolt) / Mirror Coat / Icy Wind

The poké ball I liek Squirtles chooses to replace birth flies through the air, impacting one of the rocks littering the arena and bursting open in a wash of white light that soon coalesces into a massive sea dragon. Mr. Gassatoo towers over its opponent, and lets out a harsh roar; even the hardened Blastoise cannot help feeling a bit intimidated. It'll have to play this carefully, for sure.

Round Nine

I liek Squirtles (1/2 left)
gyarados
Mr. Gassatoo
Ability: Intimidate
Health: 100%
Energy: 100%

Blastoise
blastoise
Health: 75%
Energy: 52%
Status: Ready for the next challenger. Surrounded by Aqua Ring (1% health/action). 1 Chill left. +2 Defense. -1 Attack.

Mr. Gassatoo's first action is, more sensibly than one would expect from a Gyarados, to expend a portion of its energy to manipulate a portion of the surrounding water into the shape of a fairly large doll, which seems to be somewhat sentient. The sea monster doesn't expect the Substitute to hold for long, but it'll at least give it an idea what its opponent is capable of.

Which is something Blastoise is equally ready to show. Without missing a beat, Blastoise summons the sea around itself, and begins to propel forward atop a steadily-rising wave. Just at the wave's crest, Mr. Gassatoo's young Substitute crashes into Blastoise, disrupting the turtle pokémon's concentration and dissipating the Surf attack; but at the cost of its own life. Just as it came to be, the Substitute returns to the water around itself.

An assessment made, Mr. Gassatoo is now ready to begin the fight in earnest. Using powers that it perhaps ought not have – they're a bit dangerous for it, but helpful right now – the sea dragon pokémon begins to crackle all over with static electricity, and after a brief period of charging discharges all of it in a single strong Thunderbolt towards its opponent. Blastoise, having just recovered from the Substitute's rebuffal of its attack, grunts with effort as it takes the attack head-on; but just as the attack ends, the turtle pokémon begins to shimmer like a mirror. And just like that, a simulacrum of the same Thunderbolt returns the way the original one came, striking true and making Mr. Gassatoo roar in very real pain.

The nerve of his opponent! Now, Mr. Gassatoo is angry – really angry. The Gyarados thinks of everything it can do, and determines that another Thunderbolt is the way it can cause the most pain to Blastoise in the shortest amount of time. And so, body crackling with electricity, Mr. Gassatoo uses the attack again. Once more, Blastoise takes the attack like a champ; but this time, it seems more perceptive. Thunderbolt isn't an attack water-types can normally use, but by studying a bit, the turtle pokémon reasons that perhaps it could replicate the attack itself. Despite the pain it's still in from the electric attack, Blastoise grins to itself – for, its opponent is in for a bad time, in the near future.

gyarados
Mr. Gassatoo
Health: 64%
Energy: 85%
Used: Substitute (10%) ~ Thunderbolt ~ Thunderbolt

Blastoise
blastoise
Health: 52%
Energy: 35%
Status: Getting excited, but tiring. Surrounded by Aqua Ring (1% health/action). 1 Chill left. Thunderbolt Mimicked. +2 Defense. -1 Attack.
Used: Surf ~ Mirror Coat ~ Mimic (Thunderbolt)

Arena Status

Damage and Energy
  • Mr. Gassatoo's Health: 100% - 10% (Substitute) - 26% (Mirror Coat) = 64%
  • Mr. Gassatoo's Substitute's health: 10% - 12% (Surf) = 0%
  • Mr. Gassatoo's Energy: 100% - 5% (Substitute) - 5% (Thunderbolt) - 5% (Thunderbolt) = 85%
  • Blastoise's Health: 75% - 13% (Thunderbolt) - 13% (Thunderbolt) + 3 (Aqua Ring) = 52%
  • Blastoise's Energy: 52% - 3% (Surf) - 13% (Mirror Coat) - 1% (Mimic) = 35%

Notes
  • Speed order: Mr. Gassatoo (81) > Blastoise (78). Since these pokémon are so close in speed to each other, I'm saying that Mr. Gassatoo has a 70% chance of moving first on any given action (excepting when the spirit of the commands assumes Blastoise will move second, like on action 1 this round).
  • Self-inflicted damage doesn't count towards the damage cap, so Mr. Gassatoo lost 36% health total this round.
  • Keldeo commands first.

Last edited:
Okay, fire off two Thunderbolts. If he's underwater, airborne, or Protecting, or you think Thunderbolt would not hit him for any other reason, Chill on the first action and Work Up on the second. On the third action, if these conditions for Chill/Work Up are met, and/or if you have successfully hit him (not a Substitute) twice with Thunderbolt, use Work Up. Otherwise, try Thunderbolt again.

For the round, if you can't use the move that you've been commanded to use, or if that move is Spited, default to Water Pulse on the first two actions and Aqua Jet on the third. Also use Aqua Jet to try to escape if you are trapped in a Whirlpool at the time of your third action. If he's Biding, Resting, or preparing Mirror Coat, use your non-damaging option for that action if you can, and do nothing if you can't.

Thunderbolt / Chill / Water Pulse ~ Thunderbolt / Work Up / Water Pulse ~ Work Up / Thunderbolt / Aqua Jet

Oof, that stung... let's see if we can pull through.

Dive down deep first; if you get to go first after that, dive back up and use Roar to try and spook Blastoise through sheer surprise. If you go second when you dive up, follow up with Thunder.

Dive~Dive up+Roar/~Thunder

Round 10

gyarados
Mr. Gassatoo
Health: 64%
Energy: 85%

Blastoise
blastoise
Health: 52%
Energy: 35%
Status: Getting excited, but tiring. Surrounded by Aqua Ring (1% health/action). 1 Chill left. Thunderbolt Mimicked. +2 Defense. -1 Attack.

Mr. Gassatoo's trainer gives the sea dragon commands before it has a chance to take proper retribution against its opponent, and, begrudgingly, it sees the point in those commands. A battle of attrition isn't exactly the Gyarados's strong suit, but nevertheless he dives deep beneath the waves before Blastoise can fire a Thunderbolt in his direction. Blastoise, preparing to do just that, stops in its tracks as its opponent disappears from view. Drat, just a little bit too fast.

Well, all isn't lost. Blastoise has been tiring, after all, and it decides to take this brief respite to give itself a breather. Settling into a relaxed pose, Blastoise does its best to clear its mind and regain a little bit of energy. That done, the turtle pokémon glances back down at the waves – Mr. Gassatoo still isn't visible – and decides to pep itself up for the time when its opponent does finally decide to come back to the fight.

Blastoise begins to sharpen its stance, giving itself mental encouragement and getting back into a fighting mindset, when almost out of nowhere Mr. Gassatoo slams into it from the side, knocking Blastoise straight off of the rock it's been standing on and into the water. The Gyarados, manages to make its arc out of the water look almost graceful – a feat, for such a large pokémon – and before hardly a moment has passed, it has returned to the waters and snaked its way back to its trainer.

While Blastoise regains its bearings, Mr. Gassatoo prepares another attack. Its opponent might be able to shoot Thunderbolts now, but the sea dragon is capable of something even greater. Crackling with static electricity that appears seemingly from nowhere, Mr. Gassatoo lets out a roar of strength as it equalizes a charge with the rainclouds above. A bolt of lightning seems to flow from the Gyarados's body up into the clouds, and just as Blastoise crawls back out of the water and onto surer footing, that electricity comes right back down. The Thunder attack is deafeningly loud, and searing for the poor victim – enough so that the electricity doesn't quite leave its system when the attack finally ends.

Blastoise grunts in pain, trying to shake itself off and regain composure, but it immediately notices an uncomfortable stiffness. Residual electricity. Great. Well, at least it doesn't need to be able to move to attack its opponent. Doing its best to harness this static electricity now inside itself (it fails, but still, it was at least worth a try), Blastoise gathers a charge in its cannons, and shoots a mimicked Thunderbolt at its opponent. Mr. Gassatoo was expecting the attack, but that doesn't make it any less damaging for the Gyarados, who lets out another deafening roar of pain. But the pain is necessary, because Gyarados is now in a position to finally crush its tired opponent.

gyarados
Mr. Gassatoo
Health: 45%
Energy: 74%
Used: Dive (Down) ~ Dive (Up) ~ Thunder

Blastoise
blastoise
Health: 33%
Energy: 37%
Status: Feels in a bad spot. Severely paralyzed. Surrounded by Aqua Ring (1% health/action). 0 Chills left. Thunderbolt Mimicked. +2 Defense. +1 Special Attack.
Used: Chill ~ Work Up ~ Thunderbolt

Arena Status

Damage and Energy
  • Mr. Gassatoo's Health: 64% - 19% (Thunderbolt) = 45%
  • Mr. Gassatoo's Energy: 85% - 3% (Dive) - 8% (Thunder) = 74%
  • Blastoise's Health: 52% - 6% (Dive) - 16% (Thunder) + 3% (Aqua Ring) = 33%
  • Blastoise's Energy: 35% + 10% (Chill) - 2% (Work Up) - 6% (Thunderbolt) = 37%

Notes
  • Month and a half, great time. We're getting through this at a good clip, I think.
  • Speed order: Mr. Gassatoo (81) > Blastoise (78). Mr. Gassatoo moved first on actions 1 and 3 (rolls: 46, 61 < 70) and second on action 2 (roll: 97 > 70).
  • ILS, that command string is really confusing. I'm choosing to interpret it as "Dive(up)+Roar if you move first, and Dive(up)~Thunder if you move second"; it could be made clearer that "Dive(up)+Roar" is meant as a combo move (hit with Dive and then use Roar) instead of just surfacing and using Roar, which would only take one action. Regardless, that didn't come into play this round anyway.
  • Thunderbolt costs 6% energy instead of 5% for Blastoise, as Mimic incurs a slight energy penalty.
  • Thunder managed to paralyze Blastoise.
  • ILS commands first.

Back
Top Bottom