• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Eifie vs Eta Carinae

I did, but I forgot because how the hell is a beam physical >:|
Damage figures corrected, but Nando''s still 1% damage shy of KOing in two actions so I don't need to modify that epic and meticulously crafted reffing

(I don't particularly care either way but shouldn't the natural gift crits be doing 15%?)

Oh yeah, I keep forgetting that I wanted to suggest maybe cutting the duration of the bridge's death in half so as not to be firing a gazillion Natural Gifts at each other across the canyon? idk, maybe the battle won't be lasting long enough for that to happen again anyway.

also, what is with Nando's head feathers. is she trying to be an edgy teenager again, getting them cut like that >:(

they should, i was thinking ng had 8% base damage but that's what it was after i factored spatk/spdef levels in doh

We can speed the match up if you want, provided Eta agrees. And Nando can do what she wants with her hair, you're not her mum

Well, that was unlucky. Let's try and get one last evo out of this with Sefer!

In terms of cutting bridge death duration in half, do you mean after this current cycle? If so, that's fine with me.

Yeah, I mean after this current cycle.

Aw, man, guess we won't be evolving Kadabra's Lucky Charm here. Well, Nando, let's lead off with a Natural Gift— wait, Sefer's immune to that?! God damn...

Well, Nando, there's not all that much you can do from over here. I have doubts about your ability to send a Will-O-Wisp across the canyon, so let's start by Bulking Up. Come on, show off for Godot! He's the reason you decided to get that edgy haircut, right?! Then let's try a Flamethrower, and finish by freakin'... Flinging your Lucky Egg over the canyon.

If you can't hit him on the second or third action, use Swords Dance instead.

Bulk Up ~ Flamethrower / Swords Dance ~ Fling / Swords Dance

i am the paragon of strategic thinking

If you think you can pull it off, use Earth Power from across the canyon. If not, get in her head with Psychic. If you don't think you can do either, uhh, Iron Defense..?

Earth Power/Psychic/Iron Defense x3

Sorry again, Sang. Desperate times call for desperate measures.

Eta Carinae recalls the rather wilted looking Chloris, still clinging tenaciously to her flower, then takes a few moments to consider his next send-out. Eventually he decides on Sefer, and the Golett materializes in the desolate arena in a bright flash. It hovers near its side of the canyon silently, surveying its opponent with emotionless yellow eyes.

Eifie (XOO)
combuskenNando (♀) @Lucky Egg
Ability: Blaze
Health: 65% | Energy: 73%
Base stats: [+1|-1|+1|-1|55]
Ready to finally get going again.

Eta Carinae (XXO)
golettSefer (X) @Lucky Egg
Ability: Iron Fist
Health: 100% | Energy: 100%
Base stats: [+1|0|-1|0|35]
Calm and steady.

Round eight

Nando squints over at her new opponent from across the canyon, and is evidently displeased when she learns that it's someone immune to her Natural Gift spamming. With a dramatic sigh, she sets about bulking herself up instead, and strikes a dashing pose as she flexes her muscles. Immediately, her metabolism kicks up a notch, and her body grows visibly larger as a new layer of muscle forms. Satisfied with that, Nando quickly glances at Godot to see if he's watching, but alas, he appears too focused on fixing the bridge.

Unconcerned with Nando's posturing, Sefer lets out an eerie roar, its chest symbol lighting up with a ghostly glow. Nando gives a squawk of surprise as the ground beneath her feet begins to rumble, before suddenly erupting in a spray of soil and burning rock. She's knocked off her feet by the force of the attack, and looks considerably shaken as she scrambles upright again.

Nando winces and adjusts her headfeathers, checking they aren't too badly damaged by the unexpected eruption. She finds herself wishing she had a mirror, because she's pretty sure her edgy haircut is ruined. Looking miffed, she gives an indignant chirp before spitting out a huge torrent of flame at her foe. Sefer is a tricky target to hit from a distance, but Nando's aim proves true, and the Golett is engulfed in a blaze of fire.

Sefer frantically bats at the flames with its heavy arms, before finally putting out the last of the embers with a stomp of its club-like feet. Despite looking a bit charred, it manages to regain its momentum again by creating another violent eruption under Nando's feet. She isn't even able to manage a squawk this time as she's blasted by shards of burning rock, leaving her bruised and winded.

By this point, Nando's expression is pretty grim. It's obvious what Sefer's strategy is now, and she knows she's not going to last much longer if this keeps up. Reaching into her fluffy coat of feathers, she plucks out her lucky egg, then flings it with all her might. The egg hurtles across the canyon, smacking Sefer right in the face and knocking it over. The sight is so ridiculous that Nando can't help but laugh; wow, she had no idea how dumb that move would look. Her laughter is quickly cut short, however, as the outraged Golett stomps back up and sends her reeling with another wave of burning agony. No way will this bird make a yolk joke out of it!

End of round eight

Eifie (XOO)
combuskenNando (♀)
Health: 20% (Capped) | Energy: 67%
Base stats (Adjusted): [+2|-0|+1|-1|55]
Really starting to feel the pain.
Moves used: Bulk Up ~ Flamethrower ~ Fling

Eta Carinae (XXO)
Health: 82% | Energy: 88%
No longer calm because it just got smacked in the face with a god damn egg and there's just no dignity in that.
Moves used: Earth Power x3

Battle notes

- Okay, this arena wasn't as complicated as I thought it was, but hopefully I didn't make any glaring errors..
- Godot and Gumshoe will have finished repairing the bridge by the end of the next round.
- Fling had 30 base power.
- Eta Carinae attacks first.​

Last edited:
Sorry to nitpick, but it looks like you maybe forgot to factor in Nando's Attack boost for Fling? I... I don't know what I was thinking when I ordered Bulk Up, and I just really want it to be worth something, okay. D:

There just isn't much to do here. Earth Power until the cows come home. If you can't hit her with it for any reason, put your running shoes on. And by that I mean use Rock Polish.

Earth Power/Rock Polish x3

Okay Nando I really really need you to survive until next round so you can teleport back to the bridge* and use your buffed attack stat >:( It's very important to me. So I want you to use Double Team to make as many clones as you possibly can, and hope that Sefer hits the wrong one!

On the second action, if Sefer did hit a clone, I guess you can just attempt to hit it with a Flamethrower. If it managed to hit you, Double Team again and cross your claws and edgy haircut feathers...

Finally, if you didn't get hit by any Earth Powers this round... using Mirror Move to hit it with an Earth Power right back sounds kinda fun! If your clones were destroyed on the second action, let's Endure this last hit. And if they were destroyed on the first action and your new clones are still around now... see if you can wait for Sefer to attack, and if its attack does target you, Endure it. Otherwise, go with Flamethrower. Sorry, you don't really have many interesting ranged attacks...

Double Team (max clones) ~ Double Team (max clones) / Flamethrower ~ Endure / Mirror Move / Flamethrower

*I think you might already know this if you read through the thread, Byrus, but at some point Eta Carinae and I agreed that when the bridge is fixed the battlers will magically teleport back to the middle of it instead of having to waste time approaching each other.

(sorry Eta Carinae, this is kind of a dick move but Nando wants to use one physical move as a teenage Combusken before she evolves :C)

Eifie (XOO)
combuskenNando (♀)
Health: 20% (Capped) | Energy: 67%
Really starting to feel the pain.

Eta Carinae (XXO)
Health: 82% | Energy: 88%
No longer calm because it just got smacked in the face with a god damn egg and there's just no dignity in that.

Round nine

Nando glances over warily at Sefer. The Golett is looking pretty enraged by this point, if the glowing red eyes and stomping about is any indication. Well, too bad for it, because she's just about ready to piss Sefer off even further. Taking a deep breath, Nando darts forward, ignoring the burning ache in her bruised muscles, and her form rapidly becomes a fiery blur. Four illusionary copies shimmer to life in her wake, trailing after their creator. Nando spares a backward glance, then gives a nod of approval before skidding to a stop.

Sefer pauses for a moment as it ponders this new dilemma. It's so close to taking this chicken down, but she just has to makes things tricky... Grumbling inwardly, Sefer's chest symbol lights up again as it chooses a random Nando and triggers another eruption from beneath its opponent's feet. However, as the fiery debris clears, Sefer's target is nowhere to be seen, while the remaining combuskens give a relieved sigh in unison.

Grateful to have dodged defeat, Nando sets about returning Sefer's fiery attacks in kind. She breathes out a blazing torrent of fire, while her clones follow suit with their own illusionary version. Sefer gives a guttural cry as the flames engulf it, striking it dead-centre in the chest and sending it reeling. It takes Sefer much longer to bat out the flames this time, and when it finally manages it, the Golett is left looking considerably charred. Its movements are growing more laboured, but its will is no less diminished, and it responds with yet another earth power as soon as it gathers its wits. Nando tenses in anticipation as she feels the warning rumble around her, but the spot that erupts is way off target, completely missing the combusken and her clones.

Nando gives a triumphant squawk. Ha! Another bullet dodged! And now its time to give Sefer a taste of its own medicine. She takes a moment to recall Sefer's technique, then begins to concentrate on manipulating the earth around her. Sefer is still fuming over its miss when it suddenly feels the ground beneath its feet begin to tremble, before blasting apart in a huge spray of scorched rock. Shocked at having its own tactic turned against it, Sefer knows the only solution is to respond with... another earth power of its own. Unfortunately, its luck reminds poor, and another of Nando's clones goes up in flames instead of the real one, which does nothing to improve Sefer's mood.

Meanwhile, Godot and Gumshoe have completed their miraculous reconstruction of the bridge, and Nando claps politely in approval at the magnificent handiwork. Sefer is too grumpy to join in on the applause. Both battlers find themselves conveniently teleported back onto the bridge by an strange otherworldly force, and Sefer fervently hopes it can get a better shot at that dastardly chicken from this range.

End of round nine

Eifie (XOO)
combuskenNando (♀)
Health: 20% | Energy: 54%
Glad to be causing her opponent some grief.
Status: focused (20% critical hit chance) | Has two double team clones
Moves used: Double Team (Four clones) ~ Flamethrower (Critical hit) ~ Mirror move (Earth Power)

Eta Carinae (XXO)
Health: 57% | Energy: 76%
Growing more annoyed by the second.
Moves used: Earth Power (Hit clone) ~ Earth Power (Missed) ~ Earth Power (Hit clone)

Battle notes

- The bridge has been reconstructed, with both battlers on the middle of it.
- Sorry for the disastrous luck this round, Eta Carinae. The RNG was being especially stingy.
- Eifie attacks first.​

Whoops, sorry about leaving this.

If you can find the real Nando and lift her with Telekinesis, do that. If not, just hit her with a Shadow Punch. Either way, follow up with a couple of Drain Punches.

Telekinesis/Shadow Punch ~ Drain Punch x2

Eifie (XOO)
combuskenNando (♀)
Health: 20% | Energy: 54%
Glad to be causing her opponent some grief.
Status: focused (20% critical hit chance) | Has two double team clones

Eta Carinae (XXO)
Health: 57% | Energy: 76%
Growing more annoyed by the second.

Round ten

Sensing things are down to the wire, Nando prepares for her last stand. (A super FUN last stand) She lets out a piercing screech as her body becomes cloaked in a shroud of raging fire, then promptly charges towards Sefer, building up momentum rapidly. Sefer has no time to react before the flaming chicken and her clones barrel into it, sending both of them flying in a swirling inferno.

The bridge rocks alarmingly from the impact, flames spitting out in all directions. When the smoke clears, the battlers stagger back to their feet, both looking quite jarred from the collision, though Sefer is obviously worse off. Growing tired of its opponent's persistence, Sefer angrily waves its heavy fist, glowing with a pink aura of psychic power. It reaches out with its mind, honing in on the real Nando and hurling her bodily into the air while her clones look on helplessly. Nando gives an undignified squawk and flails about in a panic, but she can't escape Sefer's telekinetic grip.

Pleased to finally have something go its way, Sefer raises its fists, ready to get some solid damage in. It lashes out at its floating opponent, striking her squarely in the stomach with a heavy blow. Particles of glowing white energy flow from Nando as the strike connects, and Sefer gratefully absorbs her involuntary offering. Now rendered useless, Nando's clones flicker and vanish as their helpless creator continues to struggle wildly. Sefer takes a moment to savour the comical sight of the panicked Combusken struggling like a bug on a pin. It makes a great change from seeing her streaming towards it while on fire.

Nando gives a furious cry as she continues to struggle, but even her super buffed up muscles are no match for Sefer's trickery. She watches in dismay as Sefer stomps towards her and strikes her with another heavy punch. Her energy now completely spent, Nando falls gracelessly to the ground as Sefer relinquishes its hold on her.

End of round ten

Eifie (XXO)
combuskenNando (♀)
Health: 0% | Energy: 48%
Knocked out!
Moves used: Flare Blitz ~ Flare Blitz (Failed) x2

Eta Carinae (XXO)
Health: 48% | Energy: 64%
Glad to have finally vanquished the chicken.
Moves used: Telekinesis ~ Drain Punch x2

Flare Blitz = 17% damage / 5% recoil / 6% energy

Telekinesis = 4% energy
Drain Punch = 10% damage / 5%/3% recovery / 4% energy

Battle notes

- Turns out Telekinesis doesn't have an accuracy check, so it goes through evasive moves.
- It also prevented Nando from pulling off any further Flare Blitz attacks.
- Sefer's second Drain Punch didn't recover as much health as the first since Nando only had 5% health left at that point. (it recovered 3% rather than 5% basically)
- I think I already posted in the absence sheet, but just as a heads-up, I'm going to London for surgery tomorrow so it'll probably be at least a week before I get to reffing again. (of course my reffings are super slow anyway so this probably won't even make a noticeable difference lol)
- Eifie sends out, then Eta Carinae attacks.​

Let's finish things off... blob of web?! Truly this battle must have begun many millenia ago, to have started even before you were crowned king! Let's end this quickly so I can finally have my Blaziken, okay?

En garde!

3EmBFj5.png

Not enough millenia for me.

Put those fists to good use, Sefer. Power-Up Punch, Drain Punch, and Ice Punch if you please. Reflect anything reflectable with Magic Coat, and use Rock Polish if the blob is unhittable for any reason besides a sub.

Power-Up Punch/Magic Coat/Rock Polish ~ Drain Punch/Magic Coat/Rock Polish ~ Ice Punch/Magic Coat/Rock Polish

According to my calculations, that Ice Punch should be doing a deliciously wonderful amount of damage, so let's just try to hit the cap, yeah? Go for a Dragon Pulse, then Protect from the Drain Punch to stop it regaining any health, and finally Counter that Ice Punch in a flurry of gooey rage!

Soon, my king! Soon you and your subjects shall evolve!

Dragon Pulse ~ Protect ~ Counter

Sefer gives a sigh of relief as the fallen Nando is finally recalled into her pokéball. Unfortunately, she certainly didn't go down wthout a fight, and the Golett is left shifting about nervously as it waits for its last opponent, feeling self-concious about the numerous scrapes and scorch marks on its armour. The amount of fiery death it had to endure has been more than taxing, and it isn't feeling too great right now, even if its new opponent is... a Blob of Web? Sefer glares over at the Pokémon opposite it, and sure enough, a slimy little dragon blob is exactly what Eifie has confidently sent out. The Goomy gives a happy little burbling cry, curiously inspecting the bridge before he oozes towards his side of the arena.

Eifie (XXO)
goomyBlob of Web (♀) @Lucky Egg
Ability: Gooey
Health: 100% | Energy: 100%
Base stats: [-1|-2|+1|+2|40]
Nice and oozy.

Eta Carinae (XXO)
Health: 48% | Energy: 64%
Glad to have finally vanquished the chicken.

Round eleven

Blob of Web gives a little squeak, blowing out a series of slimy bubbles. Sefer glares at him in disgust, though its expression is mostly incomprehensible to Blob, who remains unruffled. Sefer impatiently takes a step forward, its tired joints creaking as it raises its fists once more, but then freezes in alarm as it suddenly sees the Goomy's bubbles begin to change into something more sinister. A crackling stream of draconic energy is rapidly building up around Blob, who giggles with glee before unleashing it in a concentrated blast. Sefer throws up its arms to shield itself, but the gesture is useless, and the dragon pulse engulfs it in a blistering wave of pain. Sefer is left shuddering weakly in the aftermath, barely managing to avoid toppling over. With a considerable amount of effort, Sefer raises its fists, its yellow eyes fixed firmly on Blob, before delivering a sharp punch. Blob gives a muffled squeak as Sefer's fist sinks into his gooey flesh, mushing him out of shape. Feeling incredibly grossed out, Sefer withdraws, struggling to shake away the remains of Blob's slimy coating. While dishing out that punch definitely lent Sefer a bit of strength, it certainly paid a disgusting cost for it.

Gurgling noisily, Blob hastily squishes himself back into shape, his antenna perking up once again. More than happy to avoid another punch to the face, he summons up a translucent green barrier of pure energy, which surrounds him in a shimmering dome. Sefer only has to spare a quick glance at the familiar protect shield to know that attacking is a lost cause for now, so it sets its sights on more productive goals. With a grunt, it bashes its arms against the rough edges of its charred armour, grinding off the loose edges and smoothing it out. Chips of blue stone flake off in all directions as Sefer eliminates its excess mass, streamlining its body to a slightly sleeker form. All in all, Sefer is left feeling quite a bit lighter, and has even managed to shed the troublesome goo sticking to it.

With that done, Sefer prepares for MORE PUNCHING, because that is clearly the answer to all life's problems and it will not be convinced otherwise. A coating of icy energy surrounds its fist as it rushes to deliver another strike, filled with grim determination. Blob of Web just sits placidly, radiating a faint aura, seemingly in wait... When Sefer's blow connects, Blob shivers violently from the freezing impact, squealing in pain. However, rather than being flattened, his spherical body suddenly expands, and Blob unleashes a tremendous burst of stored up energy, turning Sefer's own momentum against it. Sefer is hurled violently by the powerful kickback, and the bridge quivers wildly as the Golett is sent slamming down on it, dazed and in a world of hurt.

End of round eleven

Eifie (XXO)
goomyBlob of Web (♀) @Lucky Egg
Ability: Gooey
Health: 72% | Energy: 76%
Base stats: [-1|-2|+1|+2|40]
A little shaken, but pleased.

Eta Carinae (XXO)
Health: 3% (Capped) | Energy: 55%
Base stats (adjusted): [+2|0|-1|0|35]
Almost completely out of it.

Dragon Pulse = 11% damage/3% energy
Protect = 2% energy
Counter = 39% damage / 19% energy

Power-up Punch = 9% damage / 3% energy
Rock Polish = 2% energy
Ice Punch = 19% damage / 4% energy

Battle notes

- I used Blob of Web's old nickname here but I can use its new one if you want. Also... I referred to Blob as a he before I realised its gender was officially female. I guess I just automatically presumed when I saw the new nickname. I'll correct that in future reffings, unless you want it to be referred to as male anyway.
- Goomy's -2 base defence stat kinda messed with the numbers here quite a bit.
- The bridge will collapse at the end of the next round, if we get that far.
- Eifie attacks first.​

Last edited:
Thank you Byrus!!! Tassorosso does not particularly care which name or pronouns you use to refer to His Excellency, as long as it is done in a tone of utmost respect and deference. (I think originally the "King" part was some kind of joke since blob of web is female, and then eventually I forgot about the joke and started referring to blob of web as a "he"...)

I think Tassorosso should be faster due to Gooey activating on the last action as well, right? Regardless, Sefer doesn't have enough energy to pull off a Rest... so go forth, my King, and spit some bubbles at it! And if for some reason you are unable to aim that properly, just ooze sludge from your body in all directions.

Water Pulse / Sludge Wave ~ Water Pulse / Sludge Wave ~ Water Pulse / Sludge Wave

if I screw up now due to not having time to think of actual commands... hahahahaha... Eta Carinae pls end this quickly tho I want my Blaziken for next tournament round lmao

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom