• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Suggestions I can has comments?

Yarnchu

Yarn is comfy and easy to wear
Meh, I'm pretty sure I've already made a couple of galleries, but I don't feel like diggin them up and bumping them. CC+C would be rather nice.

Revamps/Devamps(may include some scratch sprites):

21cur1j.png

picture.php

picture.php

xfaiq1.png

2hi06rt.png

10h7tqu.png

Scratch Edits:

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Scratch Sprites:

Generic_Waddle_Dee_sprite_by_vaporchu8.png

Godzilla_DP_style_by_vaporchu8.png

King_Dedede_Pokemon_DPPt_style_by_vaporchu8.png

Aggron_Scratch_HGSS_style_by_vaporchu8.png

TFWTH__s_Kecloon_by_vaporchu8.png

View TFWTH's original image here!

Kirazy__s_Tyluv_by_vaporchu8.png

View Kirazy's original image here!

Kirazy__s_Mite_by_vaporchu8.png

View Kirazy's original image here!

Engreed_R_G_B_style_by_vaporchu8.png

You know the drill! Go see Kirazy's art now!

Sorry about the random switch between which ones are transparent and which ones aren't. I'm kind of finicky like that. Anyways, random collection of various old and new sprites I made. I only went for my good/decent ones, which are mainly anything I was able to salvage from my collection.

Last edited:
Re: Yoshi haz a sprite thread. Again.

Damn Roar of Time style AGAIN.
I like King what'shisname from Kirby...was it Waddle Dee? I forget D:
I'm not bored so I ain't critiquing.

Again? Sigh....it always seems like my sprite threads get skipped right over. :P

OP_4376.png

Any comments on this, then? The shading style is mainly a mix of D/P's and G/S's, so don't be too nitpicky with the dithering.

I absolutely adore your shading style. I love the effects the dithering gives, and it just looks very fleshed out in general. Though, may I suggest making the outlines a bit lighter in some places, such as the horn?

I only have two anatomy nitpicks: the Larvitar's left arm seems to be connected a bit too into his body, if you know what I mean. Also, it seems to be completely parallel to the camera, which would be a bit of an awkward position to hold. I'd suggest making the end of the arm a bit less pointed? And secondly, the belly seems to tuck in too much around the legs - I'd give you a redline to clear up what I mean, but as I'm pressed for time I hope you know what I'm getting at.

Overall, that Larvitar is really incredible. Your colouring is just amazing, once again, and I could spot very few faults. Great job :)

The Larvitar looks fine to me. Your devamps are some of the best devamps I've ever seen. And that Godzilla is way better than the one I did a couple of years ago. Very nice work, I must say. You certainly have talent.

Larvitar is awesome :3
The dithering gives great effect and makes it kinda stand out! =3 Nice!

Thanks, guys!

Kirby_RB_by_vaporchu8.png

Proportions are exagerated for obvious reasons. I have this respect for the older style. While I don't think that the sprites themselves are very well done, the shading style can be rather pleasing if done correctly, and sometimes exagerated proportions aren't always bad as long as they don't look completely off.

I'm sorry, I just need to say that your "revamps" and "devamps" are simply recolours. >: You haven't edited them to fit the style of the game.

I'm sorry, I just need to say that your "revamps" and "devamps" are simply recolours. >: You haven't edited them to fit the style of the game.

Urm...what? Could you be a bit more specific?

How does reshading the entire sprite and changing the amount of colors used equal a recolor? Sure, I didn't do much to them outside of that, but there wasn't much reason to. With perhaps the exceptions of Steelix and Armaldo(and Red's team, for obvious reasons), all that the sprites needed to fit in with other sprites of the same style was to simply have colors added/removed, changed, and reshaded. :/

Yes, Armaldo doesn't fit within G/S size restrictions. When I made it, I thought it did. Same probably goes for a few of the others, too. I used to think that all of the sprites were 64x64 except for D/P sprites until a while ago. As you can see, My Drapion sprite(which was originally either the D/P or the Pt sprite) was heavily modified to fit in with the R/B sprites after I found this out.

Exactly; you're just changing the colours. The further back you go, the more the anatomy gets messed up, generally. Also the Pokemon were significantly more simple, for the most part. Since they were restricted to such tiny boxes, they had to try to make the most of it and to do this they accentuated the more important aspects of the Pokemon.
I'll compare Latias and Skarmory here, they're similar enough.
xfaiq1.png

gbg227.gif
dpffa380.png

First of all, your Latias is too large.
Note how Skarmory's beak, wings, and talons are the focal points. With Latias it's slightly harder to tell, because it's bigger and therefore don't need to show off certain parts as much. But I'd say it's face and wings are the most important. Shrink its body(including arms and legs), and make the wings just a tad wider.
I'd do it myself to show you what I mean, but I need to go, so maybe tomorrow.

Hope this is helpful and that I don't come off as a know-it-all, because I certainly am not. Especially since on closer inspection, you did shrink some of those sprites. But just keep in mind a first-stage Pokemon should generally be smaller than its third-stage.

Sorry if it looked like I exploded on you, I know you are trying to help, but I was a bit angry last night at some unrelated stuff. ^_^;

Yeah, like I said, I made some of these before I knew about the 56x56 restriction. For example, compare my Drapion sprite with the others. It actually was shrunk, since I made it after I discovered the size restriction.

I also made my new Kirby sprite within the size restriction, too(though it obviously isn't a devamp by any means).

thumbsup.gif
<- I wanted to insert this in my reply.

But I didn't notice you explode.
shocked.gif
I think maybe because I frequent a pixel art forum where people get pretty harsh(though helpful) crits.
Also, I should say -- Sorry for just assuming you didn't shrink any of them
embarrassed.gif
. They just don't look much different on first glance.

Bleh, maybe I can get people to comment on my sprites if I posted them here instead of in the Spriter's Showcase.

Zoroark_Back_Sprite_by_vaporchu8.png

Arcanine_by_vaporchu8.png

Lapras_by_vaporchu8.png

The first one is basically my attempt at translating the Zoroark pre-release back sprite from the horribly enlarged and pixelated version seen in the pictures to a normal sized version seen here. I'm fairly sure I got the outline close to what it is supposed to look like, though I suppose we'll have to wait for the game's release to confirm that. I could've chosen better colors, but eh...

Next two are scratch revamps of the Gold Arcanine sprite and the Yellow Lapras sprite, respectively. The Lapras could be better, but I'm satisfied with it.

Re: Why hello there! Heard you like old poses and stuff!

Pidgey_by_vaporchu8.png

Yet another scratch sprite, this time using the R/S/E Pidgey pose.

Great job on all four of the sprites. Zoroark especially. Although, the Pidgey looks exactly like the R/S/E pose...

That was intentional. The Arcanine and Lapras are also based on older poses.

Old poses =/= mudkips

Looks nice. The tail is odd in that it's shaded like three tubular sort of branches, but it's not supposed to be like that.

Nice work with the wings. The dithering looks very good there.

Guess you are right about the tail. :[ If I wasn't lazy then I'd fix it. Eh, I might touch some things up on it anyways, just because a couple of spots look off to me.

Charmeleon_by_vaporchu8.png

R/B Charmeleon pose. God, this was hard to make, and I really am not that satisfied with it. :/

Ralts_family_Yellow_style_by_vaporchu8.png

Old style sprites in newish poses? Why, that goes against what I've done the past few sprites!

Anyways, this is the Yellow style. I like the poses and shading style, but I just wish Yellow didn't add so much light to the outlines. It makes the sprites look unclean in places.

Back
Top Bottom