• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Magic: The Gathering

I liek Squirtles

sobble squad
Pronoun
he
I noticed there wasn't a thread about this (or if there was, it's long dead.)

Discuss MtG and MtG accessories here, Planeswalkers.

I signed up for the Great Designer Search 3! Going to round off my big trip by landing a job at Wizards, clearly. B)

Haven't actually gotten to play in a while since I've been on the road. I did go to the Amonkhet prerelease when I was in Glasgow, but did terribly. We'll speak no more of that. I haven't had the chance to do any since then; I've always been somewhere where tournaments aren't, and I obviously can't really play any kind of constructed...

I'm primarily an EDH player and that one tryhard in my playgroup. When someone wants a casual Friday game, I'm the one who forks Warp World while everyone else brings tribal, hah hah. But yes, I've only gotten into Magic about seven-eight months ago, and it's been a real blast learning the little nuances of the mechanics, and the local community has been very supporting with new members. I might poke my toe in Modern, but I don't plan on jump starting my tournament career so to speak.

I signed up for the Great Designer Search 3! Going to round off my big trip by landing a job at Wizards, clearly. B)

How's this gone? :O it sounds really cool!

I'm primarily an EDH player and that one tryhard in my playgroup. When someone wants a casual Friday game, I'm the one who forks Warp World while everyone else brings tribal, hah hah. But yes, I've only gotten into Magic about seven-eight months ago, and it's been a real blast learning the little nuances of the mechanics, and the local community has been very supporting with new members. I might poke my toe in Modern, but I don't plan on jump starting my tournament career so to speak.

What do you recommend to someone who wants to start in EDH?

Ambiguous as of yet. I at least tried to sign up, but their system doesn't send confirmation e-mails, so... hopefully I'm in? The actual challenge doesn't start until January 16th. And I definitely need to spend more effort preparing, fffff

There's more info here if you're interested. Once they get to the public challenge parts I think you'll find it a lot of fun to follow along if you're into game design at all; the judging material from the previous two is still great reading.

What do you recommend to someone who wants to start in EDH?

Can't go wrong by starting with a Commander product; find a structure deck that catches your fancy, beef it up with however much money you want to pour into it, and have a playgroup ready. EDH is not best played 1 v 1, its best experienced with 4 or more people, as without a playgroup you miss out on all the politics behind the game, which is half the fun lol

And this site is a great resource: https://edhrec.com/commanders

I heard that event decks are coming back? I haven't played in a while, but this seems like a good place to jump back in.

Last edited:
I heard that event decks are coming back? I haven't played in a while, but this seems like a good place to jump back in. ss

A product from Commander 2017 for example has 100 cards in it ready to be played, while event decks only have 60 unless you wanna buy a ton of singles. They're the best way to jump in commander in my opinion.

The best way tip that I was given when I started with commander is pick a deck you like, and stick with it, otherwise you'll end up with a dozen unfinished decks, haha.

I believe there's a program called Forge that can simulate commander games with your own custom deck, if you wanna get a feel for what kind of deck you would like.

Oh, I didn't mean for Commander, just in general.

My bad, lol. Duel decks are pretty good, because they have a ton of staples. The Jhiora one for example can actually be a pretty fierce Izzet deck if you add a few extra cards like Lightning Bolt and Counterspell

My friends and I got one of the Challenger Decks, and boy are they fun...

Do you guys have any recs for EDH precons? We're eyeing that format now.

I've always wanted to get into Magic, but I never knew where to start. I really love the card art and lore, though! There's so many amazingly creative creature designs.

I've always wanted to get into Magic, but I never knew where to start. I really love the card art and lore, though! There's so many amazingly creative creature designs.

Try going to a Friday Night Magic event at a local hobby store near you! That's how I got in, and everyone is super cool with new players and showing them some of the ropes!

I liek Squirtles said:
Sorry for double posting, but I just finished building this deck; it's GW Saprolings!
Ooh, nice! I love Saprolings. Was super lucky to get a lot in my Dominaria prerelease pool so I could build a pretty nasty deck out of them.

Like Emperor_Evulz said, you definitely want to check out a local card/hobby shop near you that carries MtG! You can see whether they have a Friday Night Magic event, or just show up any time to talk to the people running the store. Game stores that sell Magic should have welcome decks that they can give you for free, and someone there may be able to play a game or two with you to show you how things work. One way or another, the people there will definitely be able to advise you on what kinds of events they run and what might be best for a new player. Right this weekend stores are actually holding prerelease tournaments to celebrate a new set coming out, and these are generally very newbie-friendly; they're super casual and people will be happy to help you build a deck and figure out how things work... there will probably be several other players who are attending their first tournament there. Definitely recommend checking one out in the future even if you aren't ready to run out and go to this specific in the next two days, they're always a lot of fun. Unfortunately you juuuuust missed the last Open House event, which is tailored specifically towards brand-new players and also gives out those welcome decks and where you can meet other people in the area who are new to playing. The next one should be coming up sometime in September, so that's also an option for getting your feet wet.

You can use this tool to find a game store near you if you don't know of one already: http://locator.wizards.com/

The new Challenger Decks were announced last week and I gotta say, I'm pretty miffed.

Not only do they look significantly weaker than the initial batch, they're $10 more expensive. I'm getting big Commander 2018 vibes from them.

Magic cards can be a bit dark looking for me, so i'm not really interested in playing (though some of the fairy cards are kind of cool).

I have a few close friends that enjoy Magic, though :) One i think plays it almost all the time xD She enjoys competitive gaming in general too.

Back
Top Bottom