• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Favourite Fictional Characters?

Bombsii

IM ON THE ROAD ON THE ROAD TO VIRIDIAN CITYYYY~
Who/what are your favourite characters from, Movies, books, TV shows, Video Games, comics etc.?

Movies: General Grievous from the Star Wars series & Harry from the spiderman films.

Books: Kernel from the Demonata series
(I just love seeing stories that are from his viewpoint, its the reason I fell in love with both Demon Thief & Dark Calling.)

TV Shows: Owen from Torchwood, Baldrick from the Blackadder series & the Doctor from Doctor Who (who else? -NO PUN INTENDED-)

Comics: I fell in love with the comic version of Hobgoblin and the comic Iron Man was more believable.

Video Games: Yoom-tah Guildmaster Wigglytuff.Oh Meta Knight & Dark Samus too.

Yours?

Movies: Hmm... a tie between King Leonidas from 300 and Darth Vader from Star Wars
Books: Captain Yossarian, Lieutenant Minderbinder, Colonel Cathcart, Lt. Colonel Korn, Chaplain Shipman/Tappman (his name was changed for the movie), Lieutenant/Colonel/General Schiesskopf, General Peckem, ex-Private First Class Wintergreen from Catch-22; Heathcliff from Wuthering Heights; Severus Snape from Harry Potter; Count Olaf from A Series of Unfortunate Events
TV Shows: Cell from Dragon Ball Z; Gendo Ikari from Neon Genesis Evangelion
Comics: ... eh I'll pass
Video Games:
medium_Duke_Nukem_004.jpg

Movies- I've always liked Pumba from The Lion King. ^.^
Books- A bunch of cats from the Warriors series. I can't name them all, but I sure do like them. Other than that I'd have to say Alice from the Twilight series. She's so quirky. :3
TV- House. HOUSE. HOUSE. Did you expect anything different from me? Toph from Avatar the Last Airbender is a major favorite too. |:3
Comics- This can also mean manga, right? In that case I do love the naive antics of Yotsuba. So silly and cute. X3
Video Games- Midna. I said it in the favorite video game character thread and I'll say it again here.

Movies:
Books: Close one between Tally Youngblood from Uglies/Pretties/Specials and Bartimaeus from the Bartimaeus triology... I think I'll go with Tally, though.
TV: I've always loved Isabelle from The 4400, so I'll say her. I also adore Iroh from Avatar: The Last Airbender.
Comics: Erm, don't read many. If manga counts, D from Petshop of Horrors.
Video games: Castor from Last Scenario. Such an awesome character.

Movies: I'll go with Timon from The Lion King. Fffft meerkats~ Aaand I have a little weak point for Jed and Octavius from Night At the Museum.

Books: Elphaba from Wicked. Definately. Nessarose is a close second though, yay for witch/sister with no arms rivalry. :D

TV: What a toughie. (read:DAMN YOOOOU D<)
Uhm...just about any and all of the new ducklings from House, and the trio of House, Cuddy, and Wilson themselves.
JD/Janitor/Dr.Cox from Scrubs, annnnd Baldrick and Blackaader from every Blackadder reincarnation. Really.

Comics: I read none. Yup.

Video Games: Mari from Drawn to Life. Raposa in general.

Last edited:
Movies: Stitch from Lilo & Stitch
Books: Aly from Trickster's Choice
TV: House from House (duh)
Comics: (can manga count, too?) Edward and Alphonse from Full Metal Alchemist
Video Games: Tyson from Pokemon Platinum

This can also mean manga, right?

If manga counts

(can manga count, too?)

Of course not. Everyone knows that manga aren't "comics" simply because they were made by Japanese people. When Japanese people make comics, said comics are automatically not considered comics due to the fact that they are Japanese. The same applies to animated cartoons. Logically, of course, it should also apply to video games, music, live-action TV shows and movies, and any other Japanese thing we foolish Westerners use English words for.

Number 100 just got in my list of favorite people ever.

Movies- The T. rex from Jurassic Park holds a fond place in my memories.

Books- Hugh the Hand from Dragon's Wing, tied with Nicolae Carpathia from Left Behind. I know he's supposed to be Satan, but he still manages to be more likable than the heroes at times.

TV- Michael from Burn Notice is so badass I'm surprised he hasn't been mentioned yet.

Comics- Deadpool. Need I say more?

Vidya Games- President Michael Wilson from Metal Wolf Chaos.

Movies: Mh, though call, but I'd have to say Sergeant Nicholas Angel from Hot Fuzz, Alex from XXY (they're both pretty relateable in my case 'v') and Big Daddy from Cat on a Hot Tin Roof. I love most badass old man characters really. Clint Eastwood in Gran Torino's another one.
OLD PEOPLE <3

Books: Again so hard. I guess Hannibal Lecter's a favourite, and I like Basil from The Picture of Dorian Gray. Hell, every character of Wilde's is awesome because they're basically him.

TV Shows: Gregory House, James Wilson, Eric Foreman and most of the new ducklings from House MD, and pretty much every character from Oz, with special emphasis on Kareem Said, Augustus Hill, Cyril O'Reily, Tobias Beecher, Chris Keller and Vernon Schillinger. Blackadder and Baldrick from Blackadder. René, Leclerc, Hans Geering, Hubert Gruber and everyone else in 'Allo 'Allo.

Comics: Marzi from Marzi and Uncle Scrooge. Uncle Scrooge is badass.
The nameless guy from Shaun Tan's comic about a guy who travels to a weird alternate-reality land too.

Video Games: Jimmy from Bully and the narrator from LittleBigPlanet.

Movies: Mort Rainey from Secret Window, Tony Stark from Iron Man, Jack Sparrow from the Pirates of the Caribbean series, Riley Poole from National Treasure, Robbie Ferrier from War of the Worlds, and Sphinx from Gone in 60 Seconds.

Books: There's many, but here's a partial list: Mogget from Garth Nix's Abhorsen trilogy, Dess from Scott Westerfeld's Midnighters trilogy, Dustfinger from Cornelia Funke's Inkheart series, Murtagh from Christopher Paolini's Inheritance trilogy, and Sirius, Lupin, and Tonks from JK Rowling's Harry Potter series.

TV: I don't watch enough TV to have a favorite, really...

Comics: Reynardine from Tom Siddell's Gunnerkrigg Court. <3 I also like Zimmy and Mort from the same comic.

Video games: The Prince from Prince of Persia: Sands of Time. I can't really think of a lot of games that I have that have really well-built characters... =/ There's this one game that my friend has (ohh what's it called, I can't remember) that has an epic story and cast. The main character's name is Cain, I think.

Why are we splitting this by media? I don't really think there is any meaningful difference between characters in movies, books, TV shows, comics and video games, and some characters appear in multiple media. o_O But eh.

Movies
If 42-minute web films count, Billy from Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog is probably it. He is simply adorable. And he's Neil Patrick Harris. Fuck yeah.

Ulysses Everett McGill from O Brother, Where Art Thou? is quite adorable as well.

I do also like Jack Sparrow from Pirates of the Caribbean.

Books
Harry Dresden from The Dresden Files is great - he's funny and lands himself in the most delightfully messed-up of situations.

There is also Temeraire from the Temeraire series. The most positively adorable humongous dragon you've ever seen.

TV shows
I think my very favorite fictional character in general, at least at the moment, is Alan Shore from The Practice and Boston Legal. He is absolutely wonderfully messed up and full of all this delicious subtle self-loathing. <3 And he makes really, really good closing arguments.

I also love Mal from Firefly to bits. Made even better by all the delightful things that happen to him during the course of the series, such as being tortured to death and crawling through a spaceship after being shot in the stomach while the life support system is failing.

Comics
Scrooge McDuck, specifically as interpreted by Don Rosa, I really adore, for the healthy mix of badassery and psychological depth.

Rorschach and Ozymandias from Watchmen also qualify; they're both very interesting in very different ways. Rorschach is just plain badass while one of the most messed up fictional characters of all time. Meanwhile, I mostly find Ozymandias very compelling because he may be one of the more understandable villains I have ever seen.

Video games
Godot from the Phoenix Wright games as I see him is an exceptionally tragic figure. He started out eccentric but after being in a coma for years and waking up to discover that he's basically lost everything he's lived for, he develops all these delicious psychological complexes, with layers upon layers of self-loathing projected onto the only person he can find to blame and a compulsive need to redeem himself in his own eyes.

Mia Fey from the Phoenix Wright games is just oh so very badass. <3 I adore her.

Then I have this odd crush on Jim Raynor from StarCraft.

Theater
Judas Iscariot, specifically as interpreted by Jesus Christ Superstar. A figure standard Christian mythology has as a greedy villain, the musical makes him more sympathetic than Jesus (at least when done right), and he is in so much adorable emotional distress throughout. <3

In other words, I have a thing for psychologically messed-up men in physical or emotional pain.

Last edited:
Hoo boy.

Movies: Hmm... Palkia! Um... I don't know. I never really thought about it.

Books: Ron Weasley.
xD

TV Shows:
Zim from Invader Zim. Because I usually like the evil guys. Unless they're Ron.
Tamama and Kururu from Keroro Gunso. Tamama is just crazy and awesome and cute and stuff... And Kururu is a total noob. I can picture him rickrolling people xD
Squidward 8D

Comics: I don't read many comics... :(
So I say...
HAPPY NOODLE BOY!

Video Games: Foomin! Foomin is awesome (Katamari)
But, um, let me think... Hmm. Lots of Kirby characters (Mostly the main "villains" like Dedede and Meta Knight), Pokemon of course, and er.... Anyone who isn't Sebatian tute. He annoys the hell outta me. That game sucks.

And so we end the post dissing Wii music. Yay.

I might edit this later as I remember more characters...

Movies-
I will always love Juno from Juno, because she has such an awesome character. Funny and totally a great friend to have. Donkey and Mushu from their respective movies (Mulan/Shrek), just 'cause Eddie Murphy make them freakin hilarious. Can't think of any more. Edit: Oh wait. Porco from Porco Rosso. <3

Books-
Percy Jackson from the Percy Jackson and The Olympians series. And really, the only reason I love him so much, is because the book is written in First-person. Reading the book from his view-point is absolutely... gorgeous, and I get to know him really well as a character. I also love Artemis from Artemis Fowl, he's such a smartass. <3

Shows and anime-
Oh god. Let's start with shows. Most of the old Cartooon Cartoon characters make my favorite list, like the cast from Space Ghost Coast to Coast, Courage the Cowardly Dog, Johnny Bravo, Samurai Jack, Stimpy, Tom AND Jerry, and all the Edds (priceless). And most of the characters from That 70s Show. Hell yes.

Now, anime? Err... this is hard. I'll just do a couple. Yuuichi from Kanon. This man made me literally start bawling on the floor because of his jokes and sarcasm. He fit right in with the anime. Haruko from Fooly Cooly. Um, badass? Yoko, Asuka, L, Skikamaru, Spike, Kanta... all favorites.

movies: none, really. i don't watch enough movies to make a list for this.

books: um... sal paradise, dean moriarty (both from on the road), the greasers from the outsiders, finny from a separate peace, haruhi suzumiya, boogiepop, most of the cast of naked lunch (lol) and probably more.

comics: marjane from persepolis, yotsuba, all of the cast of azumanga daioh. kaoru mori's emma is really good, too.

tv: shinji ikari? i am fascinated by him. he is so unlike other protagonists in that i am not supposed to like him, but i root for him nonetheless. i also empathize lisa simpson, even though i am not nearly as smart as she is.

video games: all of the cast of xenosaga, including xenogears. when i played episode 3, i empathized with shion so much, to the point that it had a tremendous effect on my enjoyment of the game. people mostly see the game as good; at the time, i felt it was one of the greatest games i had ever played. i'm not sure it would be the same way playing it now, but i still have a soft spot for it. all told, the cast is so well-developed and likeable. xenogears is that way too, except that the main characters "are so sick!"

Movies: Godzilla all the way. More specifically, either the original from Gojira or Meltdown Godzilla from Godzilla vs Destoroyah. Little Godzilla is also very cute.

Books: Hmm....not sure, to be honest. I typically don't remember the characters from the books I read, plus I haven't read a Warriors book. I guess one of the dragons from Chris D'Lacey's(I hope I spelled that right) Dragon books, you know, The Fire Within and such.

TV: Probably either Sokka, Zuko, or Iroh from Avatar. And lets not forget Vegeta. Dude is probably the most developed character from DBZ.

Comics: I don't read comics. I'll just say Vegeta since DBZ originated as a manga.

Video Games: Kirby and King Dedede. I guess I'll throw in some others as well: Luigi, Pichu, Charizard, Bowser(early Mario games/Smash only), and probably some others I'm forgetting.

Movies: Russell from Inside Man, my all-time favourite movie. I also find Robbie and Julia from the Wedding Singer to be hilarious and enchanting respectively. Jim Carrey's Riddler and Heath Ledger's Joker have to be my favourite cinematic villains, with Cillian Murphy's Scarecrow a close second. And Count Dooku third.

Books: Lord Loss of the Demonata Series, Kurda Smahlt of the Saga of Darren Shan, Althalus of the Redemption of Althalus, Severus Snape and Albus Dumbledore of the Harry Potter franchise and the Spook of the Wardstone Chronicles.

TV: Chase Young of Xiaolin Showdown, Frasier Krane of Cheers and Frasier, Dr. Cox, Jordan Sullivan, the Janitor and Franklin the Lab Technician of Scrubs, Michael Scott, Dwight Schrute, Jim Halpert and Pam Beesly of the Office: An American Workplace, Olivia Bensen, Elliott Stabler, Casey Novak, Jack McCoy, Merritt Rook of the Law and Order franchise (though I specifically watch SVU), Aaron Hotchner, David Rossi, Derek Morgan, Spencer Reid and Penelope Garcia of Criminal Minds, Kurojishi Rio and Mele of Jyuken Sentai Gekiranger and Gregory House and James Wilson of House.

Comics: Don't read them.

Video Games: Myrrah, RAAM and Skorge of the Gears of War franchise, Chairman Drek and Gleeman Vox of the Rachet and Clank franchise, Gol, Maia, Baron Praxis, MetalKrew, Erol and Count Veger of the Jak and Daxter franchise, Lucien LeChance of Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion and Jacob Crow of TimeSplitters: Future Perfect.

Theater: Jean Valjean, Javert and Enjolras of Les Miserables, Luther Billis and the Professor of South Pacific, Major General Stanley of the Pirates of Penzance and Sweeney Todd/Benjamin Barker, Judge Turpin and Beadle Bagford of Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street.

EDIT: Cole Turner of Charmed.

Last edited:
Television:

Chloe O'Brian from 24. She's abrasive, painfully blunt, sarcastic and terrible in social situations but still manages to be completely endearing.

Tara from BtVS. I can't believe I've just picked her over Willow, but I love her character so, so much. She's introduced as awkward, stuttery and painfully shy, but the viewers and the rest of the cast get to see her grow and change into someone more confident as she overcomes her personal demons with the help of her friends. She's the nicest, most selfless person on the show, but is strong enough to know when a relationship turns abusive and gets out; she's quiet and soft-spoken, but she sometimes knows the other characters better than they know themselves.

Honourable mentions: Moss from The IT Crowd, Edgar from 24, Olivia from Law and Order:SVU, House from House, Karen from Will & Grace, Liz from 30 Rock, Everyone in Pushing Daisies, Jaye from Wonderfalls, Veronica from Veronica Mars, Willow from Buffy and Chandler from Friends.

Video Games:

Raine Sage from ToS. I think what I love most about Raine is how many different sides we get to see of her - teacher, sister, parent-figure, healer, scholar, daughter, victim, friend; and in addition to all the roles she plays, she's a walking contradiction; she's a White Mage who kicks at least four people in the face during the game; she's by far the most intelligent person in the game, but can't cook to save her life; she's the emotional pillar the younger characters look up to, but she's absolutely terrified of water, goes nuts at the sight of ruins and we see her break down in tears twice (once after being abused by the mayor, once after confronting her mother).

Honourable mentions: Every main character from the AA series, most other ToS characters, Etna from Disgaea, Vivi from FFIX, Pikachu from Pokemon and Snake from MGS.

Theatre:

G(a)linda from Wicked. Actually, this is more bookverse than musicalverse, but still. I love so much how we get to see her change from an empty-headed bimbo to someone who wants so much to do the right thing - she's not perfect and isn't strong enough, but we get to see her learn and change and grow and eventually realise that the wrong choices she's made will make her desperately unhappy - in many ways, I think she's much more tragic than Elphaba (who I also adore).

Angel from RENT. In a cast of amazing characters, it's so, so hard to pick my favourite, but I think it has to be Angel. She's such a beautiful person; she doesn't take being alive for granted for a single second, and just her presence can light up a room - even one as sad as a Life Support meeting. She's the emotional glue holding the group together ("Angel helped up belive in love"); and her self-confidence is just beyond amazing <3

Honourable mentions: Everyone else in RENT, Jean Valjean from Les Mis, Rod and Christmas Eve from Avenue Q and Ryan from HSM.

Anime/Manga:

If I start talking about how much I adore Yotsuba, I'll never stop. Suffice to say I think she's absolutely, totally and utterly fantastic in every possible way.

...I also love the Azumanga Daioh cast. Yeah, yeah; Azuma fangirl.

I'm sure I've forgotten some, but those are the ones that jump to mind :)

Last edited:
Books: Susan from Discworld. Death from Discworld. Yah know what? Every main character from Discworld is really high up on that list...aside from Twoflower. And Colon.

TV: Ried from Criminal Minds. J.D from Scrubs. Pam from the Office.

Theatre: Stella from A Streetcar named Desire. Henry Drummond from Inherit the Wind. Angel and Mark from Rent. Mercutio from Romeo and Juliet. *Stupid Tybalt.*

Video Games: Lucius, Ilyana, and Mia from Fire Emblem. Sheena from Tales of Symphonia. Rita from Tales of Vesperia. Ada from Resident Evil.

Back
Top Bottom