• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

In Progress The Caster of the Wind {critiques welcome}

Aobaru

Floooooon!
Pronoun
he
This is my first attempt at a novel. Comments and crits are very much welcome.

Chapter 2: Water, will be up soon, and will be longer.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Prologue

There was once nothing in the world.

Then, the Creator divided all the energy in the universe into six:
Fire, the element of power;
Water, the element of change;
Wind, the element of motion;
Earth, the element of defense;
Light, the element of good;
and Dark, the element of evil.

All life was divided into these.
The Creator granted a number of people in each nation the power to control an element.
Those people were known as “casters”.
Casters that could manipulate more than one element were known as “seika”, and were much less frequent.

Many years passed after the creation, and the peoples of the world discovered power. Power led to envy, and envy led to greed. Greed turned into hate. The people began to wage war against each other. Brother fought brother, sister fought sister. Many people died as a result of the power of the casters and seika.

When the Creator saw the sins being commited on the world he created, he was saddened. He knew of only one way to end the pandemonium that was passing over the world. He must sacrifice himself, for that was the only way to change the hearts of his people. He sang the ancient songs of peace, and then killed himself.

The people of the world were changed. They became peaceful with one another, and there were no more wars. Peace reigned for many thousands of years.​

Last edited:
Chapter 1: Wind

Misa yawned, and began to twist her long, raven-black hair into a braid. Why did Persa have to begin punishment so early in the morning? But, as Persa barked at the beginning of every lesson, “Punishment always starts early.” So here she was, with the sun not even awake, in the House of Teachings with only herself and her short, gray-haired, babbling teacher as company. Even the stubborn Misa wished she had not stolen those apples from the fruit vendor at the Winter Solstice Festival, in light of her punishment.

“Misa! Are you listening?” shouted Persa, waking a daydreaming Misa from her slumber.
“Yes, Sister Persa,” came the groggy reply.

Indeed, life could be difficult in her small village, what with all the talk of war, and all the wind-casters being conscripted. Of course, her own parents were bakers, and no one in her genealogy had ever had wind-casting powers, or at least admitted to it. Persa told her that a caster’s powers do not fully awaken until they have had their Coming-Of-Age Festival. On that day, it is determined if the child has casting powers or not - if they possess them, they are sent to the University in Noami, the capital, to study and hone their craft for up to twenty years; if not, life continues normally. However, the thought of being forcibly taken and shipped off to some city far away from her family and friends made her shudder.

Misa knew little about the war; only that the Kingdom of Earth had assembled its forces, and their leader, King Oliphetes, had declared war on the other Kingdoms of Fire, Water, and Wind.

“Misa? Did you hear me?” growled Persa. Misa shook her head.
“I said that the fruit vendor has agreed not to tell the Council about your offense. Misa, you know how serious stealing is. It does not matter how fun or insignificant you may think it is. Remember, Misa, we are in a drought.” She continued. “He agreed not to report you if you attend all your classes and never steal again. Do you understand me?”
“Yes, Sister Persa,” said Misa.
Persa looked out of the window at the sun. “You may leave for your lunch. You are to report here at dusk for evening lessons. We are studying geography and magic.”
“My favorite,” said Misa as she packed up her things.

Misa exited the large building and walked into the falling snow towards the Plaza, where other students were eating lunch. She saw the boys talking amongst themselves by the fountain, and a group of girls - who always followed the rules - walking back into the building.

“Hey, Misa!” Misa turned around to see her best friend, Kanoko, coming from class. Kanoko was her classmate, and was a little older. She had long, straw-colored hair that was tied into two braids that hung down her back.
“Hello, Kano.”
“You’ll never guess what happened. My cousin just had his Coming-Of-Age Festival, and…”
“…he has wind-casting powers?”
“Yes. He’s being sent to train to battle the earth-casters.”
Misa sighed. “Kanoko, I’m scared. What if someone finds out?”
She looked around her. “About… you know…”
“Your powers?”
“Yeah.”
Kanoko shrugged. “I’m guessing they’ll put you into battle, like all the other wind-casters.”

Misa began to tear up. “But I don’t care about the stupid war. Why do I have to go?” She embraced Kanoko, bawling.
“I don’t know, Misa. Have you told your parents?”
“No.”
“Why not?”
“Because they’ll tell the Council, or make me go to training, or…”
Misa exploded into tears, and Kanoko said comfortingly, “It’ll be okay, Misa. I promise.”
“No, it won’t.”
“Yeah, it will. Now, smile.”
Misa struggled, but eventually she smiled at her friend.
“Now,” said Kanoko. “You need to tell your parents.”
“But… why?” Misa said, sobbing.
“Because they’ll love you no matter what,” Kanoko said.
Suddenly, the end-of-day bell rang, and they both jumped from the loud noise. They could go home now.
“Goodbye, Misa. See you tonight,” said Kanoko.
“See you then, Kano.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Misa looked over the hill and saw her house. It was a small, two-story house, with the bakery on the bottom floor, and the bedrooms and washroom on the top. The Mioli River, the largest river in the Wind Kingdom, had its source in the nearby Mioli Lake. It flowed in front of the house, and she had to cross a small bridge to reach the house.
It usually gave Misa comfort as soon as she saw her house appear over the hill. This time, however, she felt sick as she crossed the bridge.

She opened the front door and entered as she usually did, then spotted her mother, Takiko, stirring something in a pot in the kitchen. Takiko was tall, and had brown curly hair whose color reminded Misa of horse droppings. Misa walked into the dining room and placed her school bag on the table, then asked her mother what was for dinner.
“Bread soup,” replied Takiko.
“Again?" complained Misa.
Bread Soup was her mother’s “signature” dish - in other words, she made it almost every night. Takiko placed a small bowl in front of her, and Misa stirred its contents with her spoon.
“Is that Bread Soup I smell?” came a voice from the back room, which had all the ovens used for making bread.
“Yes, honey,” replied Takiko.
“Good, I’m hungry."
Misa’s father, Tarro, was also tall; he had straight, raven-black hair like hers, but his was cut off at his neck.
Her parents jointly operated the bakery; Mother took orders and served the food, and Father baked the bread and made the other food. Their bakery was fairly popular, and Misa sometimes liked to help her father bake.

Misa quietly ate her soup, and watched as her father got a bowl, poured some soup into it, and sat next to her.
“So, how’s school?” asked Tarro.
“Okay.” She resumed eating her soup.
“Is something on your mind? You look a little pale.”
Misa gulped. She could feel herself shaking. Should she tell them? No, they would tell the council and expect her to fight. Then she would be shipped off to some foreign city to be trained like a dog…
But they were her parents. They loved her, and they would listen to her, she decided.

Tarro was still staring, expecting an answer.
“Mother, Father…” she stuttered, but then composed herself. “I need to tell you something.”
“What is it, dear?” asked Takiko.
She was really starting to shake now. She remembered Kano’s advice. They’ll love you no matter what. She breathed deeply.
“Mother, Father,” she said calmly. “I’m a wind-caster.”

They just stood there. Tarro stopped eating, and Takiko stopped wiping the counters. The silence was unbearable.
“You don’t believe me?” asked Misa. “Look at your bowl, Father.” Tarro glanced down.
Misa then concentrated and felt the casting power flow through her. She then put out her hand and began to swirl it. Following its master, a small whirlwind appeared under her father’s bowl and made it seemingly levitate in the air. A few moments later, she set it down.
“Misa…” Tarro murmured.
“What?” answered Misa.
“You know what this means, right?” Tarro asked.
“No…” Misa began to tear up.
Tarro continued. “You must voluntarily join the military.”
“What?” shouted Misa, now bawling.
“You must,” stated Tarro, calmly. “Or they will force you.”
Takiko chimed in. “Tarro, there must be another way…”
“There is no other way, Takiko!” shouted Tarro. “We all could go to prison!”

Takiko, who was usually strong when things like this happened, began to cry, and Misa was to the point where she could not speak. Tarro tried to justify his decision.
“Misa, think of how you’ll be defending our nation. You could make new friends…”
“I already have friends!” exclaimed Misa.
Misa continued to bawl, and she thought of how her plan had backfired, how her parents seemed to love their nation more than her, how they didn’t seem to care about how she felt. She felt like she could die.

“Misa…" Takiko came to her chair to comfort her. "We love you... you could only be gone a month…”
“No. She’ll be gone longer than that,” stated Tarro, getting up to wash his empty bowl. With that, Misa sprang from her chair and dashed upstairs, leaving her parents to run after her.

They found her looking out her window, down to the churning Mioli River below.
“Misa, honey. Listen…” said Takiko comfortingly.
“No!” shouted Misa. “I’m not going to be trained to kill people.” Misa inched closer to the window.

“Misa,” said Tarro. “Stop being so damned selfish! Think about something other than yourself. Think about your country, your freedom! Think about the people that are trying to take that away!”
Misa climbed onto the windowsill, and her legs were now hanging out the window.
“I’m… I’m going to jump!” screamed Misa.
“No, you’ll drown!” exclaimed Mother. “The river is flooding!”

I am not going to kill anyone just because I have this gift. I am not going to let evil use me like that, no matter who I’m fighting for. I will not be used for evil.

“Misa…” said Tarro. “Come here and we can get you to the Council by dusk. It’s the right thing, Misa. You know that.”
I will not be used as a weapon.
“Misa, come here. Think before you do anything harsh,” said Takiko, as calmly as she could manage.

I won’t kill anyone.

Misa sat for a moment, then made her decision.
“Goodbye, Mother and Father,” she stated calmly. “I… love you.”
“Misa! NO!” screamed Takiko.

Misa jumped from the window, into the icy-cold water below.

Prologue:

Those people were known as “casters”.
Casters that could manipulate more than one element were known as “seika”, and were much less frequent.

The way you worded this out seems funny; Almost like a machine is saying it.

And as for the whole prologue, it seemed a bit off. I'm not sure exactly what you were going for (I'm guessing one of those prophesy kind of things). The most likely reason is because it sounded rushed, and just skimming over some details to get to the main point, which are two things that can ruin a prologue like this.

UH, I'll do chapter one once I'm off vacation... (Sorry, I'm a bit swamped >.<)

Keep it up!

I agree with Dragon_knight. The Prologue seems off...

Other than that, very good. I'd like to see more ^_^.

The Prolodge is really just an infodump, and it seems like everybody would know all of the information in it, so there's no discovery nor irony for the reader.

I'll read the first chapter later, because I'm sleepy.

D: you stole my idea Seems like a nice concept. The prologue, however, isn't really a prologue so much as a blurb of sorts.

Chapter 2: Water

Yay, it's finished. Please crit.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

MISA COUGHED and felt the warm sun shining on her face; she tried to move, but felt weak.

“Miss,” said a faint voice. “Miss!”

Misa tried opening her eyes. When she did, she saw the blurry figure of a man. It took a few moments for everything to come into focus. Before her stood a tall, muscular man with short brown hair. He was wearing a blue coat and long, brown pants.
“Miss,” said the man. “Are you awake?”
Misa coughed again.
“Yes.”
The mysterious man then reached out his hand and helped Misa to stand. She felt a little disorientated, but a few moments later, she felt okay again. She noticed he had placed a net and bucket down
“Thank you. I'm Misa. What is your name?”
“I'm Collio. I’m a fisherman,” replied the man. He then began to stare at her clothing.
“Is something wrong with what I’m wearing?” asked Misa, feeling a bit uncomfortable.
“No, no. It’s just that… you don’t look like you’re from around here. And you look a little cold. Here, take my coat.”
Misa took the coat from him and said, “What do you mean about me not looking like I’m from around here? I’m just a little downstream from my village.”
Collio stared and asked, “Miss, I mean, Misa… where is your village exactly?”
“I live in the Western Province of the Wind Kingdom,” answered Misa, nervously. “Why? Where am I?”
“Misa,” Collio said, in awe. “You’re in Furui, a village in the Southern Water Kingdom.”

Misa stood there for a few moments, and then thought about why she jumped from the window: to escape her certain military fate.
“I’m in… the Water Kingdom?”
“Yes.”
“But… how? I jumped into the river at my village, in the Wind Kingdom!”
Collio looked puzzled. “The river is flooding this time of year. Nobody could survive it for that long.” Misa stood in shock.
“Unless…” murmured Collio.
“Unless what?” asked Misa nervously.
“Unless you are a water-caster.”
Misa started pacing.
“But… I’m a wind-caster. I was going to be forced into the military… because I’m a wind-caster! How could I be this too?”
“Show me.” Collio commanded.
“Show you what?”
“Your casting.”
Misa was confused. “What do you mean? Wait… water or wind?”
“Both.”
“At the same time?”
Collio laughed. “Of course not. First, wind-cast. Try to knock me over.”
“What? Why would I do that? I’m not a show. I don’t just…”
“I just want to see. Now, hurry, before someone sees you.”
Misa sighed. “Fine.”

Misa started to breathe deeply, and began to feel the casting power flow through her. She held out her hand and thrust it forward, creating a short blast of wind, nearly knocking the full-grown man over. Collio tried to regain his balance.
“That was… I’ve never seen a wind-caster before.”
Because they’re all in the military… thought Misa.
“Now,” continued Collio. “I want you to water-cast.”
“But…”
“Just try, my friend.”
Misa closed her eyes and again began to breathe deeply. This time, however, she felt something cool rush through her. It felt fluid, like nothing she’d ever felt before. She felt empowered, and focused on the river.
“Misa, create a whirlpool,” ordered Collio.
Misa focused on the rushing water before her. She felt its motion, its energy, and did something she’d never done before. She put out her hand, palm-down, and made a counter-clockwise motion. She then heard the crashing of water, and opened her eyes to see swirling water and an awestruck Collio.
“Now,” stated Collio. “Make it go in the opposite direction.”
Misa nodded and closed her eyes again. Her hand was still circulating, and she tried to stop it and make it turn the opposite way, but her hand wouldn’t move. It felt as if it were caught in a current. Misa panicked.
“Collio, I can’t move my hand!”
“Calm down,” he said calmly. “You are conducting the water’s energy. Imagine yourself in the river. It is hard to walk against the current, right? You first have to stop it. Only then can you alter it again.”
Following his direction, Misa halted her hand’s movement. The whirlpool died, and the water continued its normal flow.
“Now try.”
Misa then moved her hand in the opposite direction, this time with ease. She watched as the whirlpool popped up again, this time circulating clockwise. Collio applauded.
“Very good, Misa. You can stop now.”
Misa stopped and dropped her hand to her thigh. Collio came closer to her.
“Shall I take you to my home? You can eat and rest. My family would love to have some company. And I’m sure my grandmother would love to meet a fellow water-caster.”
“That would be wonderful,” Misa agreed.
Collio smiled. “Well then, my lady, follow me.”
As Misa followed her new friend away from the riverbank, she noticed how viciously the river churned, and wondered how she could have survived using her new power.

AFTER A WHILE of silent strolling down a path that seemed to lead to nowhere, Misa finally eyed a building. As she looked closer, she noticed it was the same color as her mother’s hair, which inevitably made her think of horse droppings. Misa giggled to herself.
“What?” asked Collio. “Is my village funny to you?”
“No.”
They entered into what appeared to be Furui’s town square. Many people lined the streets selling fish, vegetables, and baskets. She the turned her head to the other side of the street, where there appeared to be a bakery. How ironic, she thought. When she looked for a sign, something caught her eye: the sign was in another language.
“What is that language on the window?” asked Misa.
“What do you mean? It is Furuian. You do not speak it?”
“Of course not. I speak Windian.”
Collio stopped walking.
“How then,” he asked. “Am I speaking to you? How can you understand me?”
Misa thought. “I have no idea. I’ve never even left my village, let alone studied a foreign language.”
“And I cannot speak Windian,” added Collio. “We should tell my grandmother. She is the village elder, and is very wise. She may know something.”
“Okay, where do you live?”
Collio smiled. “Follow me.”

Collio led Misa a couple of houses down the main street to a fish shop. There was a stand in front of it with two people selling fish; one was a woman with long, curly, straw-colored hair, and the other was a tall man with short brown hair and a scruffy beard. Collio approached them.
“Hello, mother. Hello, father,” said Collio.
“Hello, son,” replied the woman, who smiled when she saw her son’s companion. “And just who is your pretty friend?”
Collio blushed. “Mother, this is Misa. She comes from the Wind Kingdom. Misa, these are my parents, Callia and Hoto.”
“Pleasure to meet such a… fine young lady,” Hoto said, looking at his son.
“Indeed,” agreed Callia, laughing. “So you are from the Wind Kingdom, then? How did you get here without freezing to death? It is so cold this time of year.”
“Yes, mother, that is the reason we have come. She – well, we actually - wish to see grandmother,” stated Collio, calmly.
“Yanna? That old pile of bones?” said Hoto, rather nastily. “What business do you have with her, miss?”
“She needs…”
“For heaven’s sake, Collio, let the girl talk!” exclaimed Callia.
Everyone looked at Misa.
“Well,” stated Misa, embarrassed. “I think I have… a special power. Or rather, powers, that Collio’s grandmother, I hope, can explain for me.”
“I see,” said Hoto. “Very well. Callia, please watch the shop.”
“Yes, sir,” said Callia, jokingly.

Hoto entered the tall two-story building and motioned for Collio and Misa to come in as well. Misa took of the coat that Collio had given her earlier. “What a beautiful house you have,” Misa said.
“Thank you,” said a voice from the staircase.
On the stairs stood a woman who appeared to be seventy to eighty years old. She had long, gray hair that was tied back into a ponytail, and wrinkles covered her face.
“Yanna, there you are,” said Hoto, mockingly. “You have a guest.”
“Thank you, Hoto,” said Yanna, equally mocking. “You may return to your fish.”
Hoto left, grumbling curses under his breath. Obviously, the two had some problems.

Yanna walked to Collio and gave him a kiss on the cheek, and then shook Misa’s hand.
“Welcome home, Collio,” said Yanna, lovingly. “And hello to you, dear. I’m Yanna, the village elder.”
“I’m Misa.”
“Are you comfortable? Please, sit down. Would you like some tea?”
“Yes, thank you.”
“Okay, then. I’ll be right back. Collio, you keep her company.”
Yanna winked to him and went into the kitchen, smiling.
“I like her,” said Misa, still embarrassed. “But I get the feeling your family wants you to get married.”
“Yes. They act like this with every single woman I bring into the house,” replied Collio. “It gets embarrassing. Ah! - shhh… she’s coming back.”
Yanna returned from the kitchen with a tray that held three empty cups and a kettle.
“Now, dear,” she said, sitting down. “For a show.”
Yanna held out her hands and started to move them back and forth, and Misa gasped when the liquid was guided out of the kettle by Yanna and was set in the three cups simultaneously. Misa took her cup.
“Wow! You’re a water-caster!” Misa said between sips.
“Yes, ever since I was a young girl.” Yanna laughed, which reminded Misa of Callia.
“Grandmother,” said Collio. “Misa has… a special power that she would like to tell you about.”
“Yes… I sense it.” Yanna closed her eyes. “Indeed, I sense traces of all the elements in her, although wind and water are the only active ones. She is a seika.”
“Active? Seika?” asked Misa.
“Yes, child. It is normal for some casters to have traces of two or three elements in their blood – maybe their ancestors had a different casting power – but,” explained Yanna. “They are almost always only able to cast one.”
Misa nodded. “So why am I able to cast two elements, then?”
“My dear, I believe you may be able to cast even more, even all of them. This is rare, even for a seika,” stated Yanna. “It is not unheard of for a caster to cast two elements, but three or more? Never. You are a unique specimen indeed.”
Misa blushed. She’d never been referred to as “unique” before.
“Grandmother,” said Collio. “Are you saying that Misa has the potential to cast all six elements?”
“Not just the potential, my dear - the power,” stated Yanna. “However, she must be taught the way of each element.” Misa sat in shock. All of this was a lot to take in.
“There is another thing, grandmother,” said Collio. “I think she has the power of tongue, as well.”
“The power of tongue!” shouted Yanna. “But only light-casters can learn the power of tongue! And the magic of light perished centuries ago!”
Yanna sat in silence for a few moments. “And how did you come to this conclusion, my grandson?”
“Firstly, she tells me she doesn’t speak Furuian. She is from the Wind Kingdom and only speaks Windian,” explained Collio. “Also, although you, Grandmother, speak Windian, neither I nor mother nor father can – but we were all able to talk to her.”
“So, my little caster,” said Yanna to Misa, lovingly. “You can cast three elements now. I think you are ready for me to explain the elements to you.”
“What do you mean ‘explain’?” asked Misa.
“For you to fully awaken the ability to cast all six elements, you must be taught their way,” explained Yanna. “How they intertwine with one another, how they differ. Am I correct in assuming you have had instruction in wind-casting, Misa?”
“No… I kept it a secret. That’s kinda how I ended up here.”
“Well then, now you must learn water-casting as well,” stated Yanna.
“What about light, and dark, and the others?” inquired Collio.
“Patience. A caster can only be taught by a master of an element,” explained Yanna. “I am a master of water. Therefore, I will teach her the casting of water. However, she must seek out the masters of the other five elements herself.”
Misa sighed. “Very well… master.”
Yanna laughed. “No need to call me that, dear - Yanna is fine. Now, I will tell you the history of water and water-casting. Are you ready?”
“Yes, Yanna,” replied Misa.
“Very well.” Yanna smiled, but then became serious. “It is said that fire and water were the first elements born by the Creator. Fire represents force, life, and power. Water, conversely, represents change, motion, and humility. The two balance each other. Fire-casting requires the acknowledgement that you are humbly controlling the flames; you are not its master. Again, conversely, water-casting requires that you take control of the water; become assertive. Now… what I want you to remember when you water-cast is to become assertive and to learn balance. Do you understand, child?”
“Yes, Yanna.” Misa breathed deeply.
“Now, my child,” stated Yanna, smiling again. “After I teach you a little more of the power of water, I suggest you find five other masters so that you can fully awaken your powers.”
“But where do I find them?”
Yanna became serious again. “Hmm… I know of a fire-master in the Fire Kingdom. Her name is Rika, and she lives just outside the capital, Dathathes. As for an earth-master, let me see… an earth-master lives on Hokku Island in the Earth Kingdom, in a village called – oh, what was it called? Ah! In Oli Village on Hook Island. It was named after that bastard king, Oliphetes.” Misa smiled.
“What about light- and dark-casting?” asked Collio.
Yanna laughed. “Collio, you know that light-casting has been extinct for centuries. And dark-casting exists solely on a remote island in the Kurai Isles, and is guarded by the Priests of Dark. My advice is to learn fire- and earth-casting first.”
Misa nodded. “Thank you, Yanna. You’ve been a big help. Can you teach me water-casting now?”
“Patience, my child,” stated Yanna. “Water-casting draws its strength from darkness and the moon, so we will begin at dusk.” Yanna stood up and grinned at Misa. “In the meantime, please make yourself comfortable here. We have an extra room you can use, and you look about Callia’s size, so you can borrow some of her clothes. Come, I’ll take you to your room. Collio, go help your parents.”
“Yes, ma’am!” Collio said obediently.

Yanna led Misa up the stairs to the second story of the small home, which consisted of a corridor, which led to all the rooms. They passed the first door on the left, which was a washroom, and the one on the right was a bedroom with a small bed.
“That’s Collio’s room,” Yanna said, still smiling. “Yours is the last room on the left, across from mine. But first, let’s get you into some better clothes.”
Yanna led Misa into the second door on the right, which had a large bed inside. Misa assumed it was Hoto and Callia’s room. Yanna went to a large bureau and opened a drawer, which contained some blue robe-looking things.
“Take off your clothes,” directed Yanna.
Following orders, Misa shed her light green coat and leather shoes, followed by her pants, leaving her only in her undergarments.
“Now, try this on.” Yanna handed her the robe and some pants and watched Misa try them on.
“How do I look?” said Misa self-consciously.
“Beautiful, like a water priestess.”
Misa blushed, and then remembered Yanna and Hoto’s fight earlier.
“What happened between you and Hoto?”
“Oh, him?” said Yanna. “Well, let’s just say that he wasn’t my first choice as a husband for Callia.”
“Why? I mean, shouldn’t it be Callia’s decision?” inquired Misa.
“Misa, unlike your people, the people of Water are deeply rooted into tradition. In some places, it is still illegal for a woman to talk to a man. Furui is a more… modern town, but Hoto comes from a family of… barbarians.”
“What do you mean, ‘barbarians’?” Misa was confused.
“We believe deeply in honor, Misa. Hoto’s great-great-great-grandparents joined with the Fire and Earth Kingdoms when they attacked our city eight hundred years ago.”
“800 years? He’s being punished for something his ancestors did 800 years ago?”
“It isn’t always fair, but that’s just how it is in our nation, Misa,” Yanna explained. “Now then, enough of that. Let me show you your room.”

Yanna led Misa across the hall to the last door on the left, which was closed. Yanna tried to open it, but the knob wouldn’t budge.
“Now, what did I do with that key?” said Yanna, obviously frustrated.
Yanna stuck her hands in her front, side, and back pockets, but didn’t find the key.
“Ah! I remember now. I left it downstairs. Be right back, honey.” Yanna grinned at Misa and went down the stairs.

In her solitude, Misa began to wonder about the events of the day. Firstly, she somehow rescued herself from a watery grave by water-casting – how she did, she didn’t know. Then, she spoke to people who didn’t speak her language, a power that was supposed to be extinct. She met a handsome man and his colorful family, and a water-master told her she could be a seika. Her thoughts wandered to her parents and Kanoko, even her teacher, Persa – all of whom probably thought she was dead. She sighed, but was brought back to reality by the sound of footsteps coming up the stairs.
“I found the key,” said Yanna, breathing heavily. She put the key into the lock and turned it, opening the door.
Inside was a room largely decorated in light blue, with a bed in the center.
“Make yourself comfortable, dear. You should be staying a few days,” stated Yanna, standing by the door.
“Thanks.” Yanna shut the door leaving Misa alone in the small blue room. Misa sat on the bed, and realized how tired she was.

Later that day, as the sun was setting, Yanna knocked on Misa’s door. Misa, awoken from her nap, walked unsteadily to the door and opened it.
“Good evening, my little caster,” said Yanna as cheerily as ever. “Are you ready for your training?”
“Yeah, let’s go,” said Misa, groggily.
Yanna and Misa walked downstairs to find Collio, Callia, and Hoto eating dinner.
“Yanna,” said Callia. “What a wonderful fish stew!”
“Oh, my dear, it wasn’t me who provided this meal, it was your son – thank him.” Yanna smiled, then looked at Hoto sneeringly. “You too. You should be more appreciative of him.”
“I catch the fish too, you know,” replied Hoto.
“We know dear, and we love you,” said Callia, shooting a glance at Yanna.
“Anyway, Misa and I are going to practice some water-casting. We won’t be long.” Yanna smiled as she led Misa out of the front door and shut it.

OVER THE FOLLOWING weeks, Misa learned about water-casting and even more about casting in general. Yanna taught her how to breathe properly while casting, and Misa noticed it made her casting easier and she could go longer without tiring. Yanna perfected her form, so Misa could water-cast quicker and more effectively. Yanna even evaluated her wind-casting – she said she had studied wind-casting a few years back. Now, thought Misa. I just have to find four other masters.

Three weeks after arriving in Furui, Misa announced to Collio, Yanna, Hoto, and Callia at dinner that she was leaving to find a master of Fire.
“Dear,” said Callia, between mouthfuls of fish stew. “Why so soon?”
“I just think it’s time I start my quest,” answered Misa, smiling. “Plus, I’ve overstayed my welcome. I don’t want to trouble you any longer.”
“Dear, you’re not troubling us,” chimed Yanna, poking her baked salmon with a fork. “We’ve loved having you. Callia, if she wants to leave, who are we to stop her?”
“I guess,” murmured Callia. “But we’ll miss you.”
“When are you leaving?” inquired Hoto.
“Dawn, tomorrow.” Misa swallowed another mouthful of fish stew.
Everyone was silent for a moment.
“I will accompany you.” Collio also spoke between mouthfuls.
“Why?” asked Misa.
“To protect you, for one. To fish, cook, you know.”
“I don’t need anyone’s help.” Misa continued to eat.
“A young girl traveling alone through the world doesn’t sit well with me.”
“What? I’m not young! And what does me being a girl have to do with it?” Misa was nearly shouting, to the surprise of everyone.
“There are dangerous men out there.” Collio remained calm.
“That I could defeat with casting!”
Yanna spoke now. “Misa, it would be best if you didn’t cast in public. You know, because of the war. People may become suspicious.”
Misa sighed. “You’re probably right.”
Now Callia spoke. “Misa, don’t think of Collio as a guardian. Think of him as a… traveling partner.”
Misa sat for a while, stirring her stew. “Fine,” she murmured.
“Very well,” said Yanna, rising from her seat. “I will pack both of your suitcases. Don’t worry about a thing – I’ll have everything ready by morning.”
Misa smiled. “Thanks so much, Yanna. For everything.”
“Don’t mention it, dear.” Yanna smiled as she ascended the stairs.
“You both need a good night’s sleep tonight,” said Callia. “Misa, Collio, you should go get ready for bed.”
“You’re right.” Misa yawned and stood up. “Good night, all.”
“Good night,” everyone replied and watched as Misa ascended the stairs.
“She’s a nice girl, eh, Hoto?” asked Callia, glancing at Collio.
“Callia, leave the boy alone.” Hoto spoke for the first time that night.

Misa yawned and stretched her arms. She saw the silhouette of the sun rising outside her small window, which was covered in frost. The sun never rises this early back home, Misa thought, somewhat sadly.
A loud knock on the door brought her back to reality. “Misa! Misa! Are you awake, dear?” It was Yanna.
“Yes, Yanna.” Misa struggled out of bed. “I’m getting dressed – don’t come in.”
“Yes, dear,” Yanna replied, too happy for this early in the morning. “I have breakfast ready, and all your belongings are packed. I set them by the door.”

Misa, fully dressed - but not fully awake, walked down the stairwell. She was surprised to see everyone wide-awake, eating breakfast at the table.
“Oh, Misa. You’re finally awake,” said Callia, spreading jam on a piece of bread.
Finally? The sun is barely up. Misa wasn’t a morning person.
“Please, take some bread,” Callia suggested. “You should have a full stomach if you plan to travel half-way around the world.”
Taking her advice, Misa took a couple of slices of jam-covered bread, stacked in a neat column on the counter.
“Now, eat,” said Callia as Misa sat at the table. “For you have a long journey ahead of you.”
“Okay, thanks, Callia.”
Right then, Collio came down the stairs, looking as sharp as ever. I think everyone in this family is a morning person. He sat at the table and Callia gave him some bread.
“So, Misa,” said Collio. “Are you ready to go?”
“Pretty much, Collio. Are you?”
“Yeah,” he said, his voice muffled by the bread in his mouth.

For the first time, Misa saw how handsome Collio was. He had a tall, probably muscular body, fair skin, and chin-length dark brown hair. His face was seemingly perfect; he had rosy lips, which seemed to be untouched by his frigid environment. Misa could see the dark stubble on his chin and upper lip; it stood in blatant contrast with his pale face.
“Collio,” said Misa. “You really should get out into the sun more. You’re as pale as a ghost!”
“Yeah, I probably should.” Collio grinned.
Misa began to feel weird inside, like she was floating. Suddenly she couldn’t stop staring at Collio, as if she were a moth drawn to a flame at night. Did I even thank him for saving me at the river? God, I don’t think I did.
“You know, Collio,” said Misa, her voice shaky. “Did I ever thank you for saving me? You know, at the river.”
Collio laughed. “I didn’t save you, Misa. You saved yourself. Yanna told you that.”
Misa blushed. “Oh, right.” God! Why do I feel like this? Why can’t I take my eyes off him? I’ve never felt like this before. All the boys at the academy are perverted idiots; always trying to sneak a peek in the girls’ washrooms. But Collio… Collio is a gentleman. So polite, so compassionate.
“Is there a particular reason you’re staring at me?”
“…What? Oh, sorry. I was just thinking.” Misa smiled.

Misa was awoken from her trance by Yanna parading down the stairs.
“Darlings!” she shouted. “Are you all set to go?”
Misa glanced at her half-eaten slice of bread. “I think so.”
“And you, Collio?”
“Yeah, Grandma, I’m ready.”
“I’ll escort you to the outskirts, then. Hoto, get down here and carry our luggage!”
Hoto descended the stairs and mockingly curtsied in front of Yanna. “Is there anything else you’d like before we depart, master?”
“That’s enough of that. Can’t you be responsible for once?” Yanna complained.
“Perhaps you should treat me like a human being!” shouted Hoto.
“You know what?” exclaimed Yanna. “Callia never should have married you. You’re nothing but an uncouth… heathen!”
“You’re nothing but a wrinkled shrew!”
“Father! Grandma!” shouted Collio. “Please! What is wrong with you two? Why are you acting like this? Grandfather would be ashamed.”
The two lowered their heads in shame, and Yanna spoke. “Misa, in case you didn’t know, my late husband was the reason Hoto and Callia were married. I was fiercely opposed to their union, but he convinced me to give them my consent. In our village, both parents of both parties must give permission if the couple wants to be wed.”
Misa stood there, listening. “So, Collio… your grandfather died?”
“Yes, when I was little. Pneumonia, I think.”
“Indeed,” said Yanna, solemnly. “The village was in mourning for months.”

An awkward silence followed.
“So,” said Callia. “Is everyone ready to go?”
“Yes,” said Misa and Collio together.
“Okay, then, let’s go.” Yanna led Misa and Collio out the front door and shut it quietly behind her.

Misa, Collio, and Yanna stood on the outskirts of Furui, holding their belongings. Yanna had packed food, clothing, candles, a map, and other assorted items.
“I think I’ve packed everything,” said Yanna, wrapped in a large blue coat.
“Yes, thank you, Yanna.” Misa hugged her.
“Good luck, my grandson,” said Yanna to Collio. “I hope to see you soon.”
Yanna walked over and gave Collio a kiss on the cheek. “You be good to her, you hear? And don’t treat her like a little girl. She is more than able to fend for herself.”
“Very well, grandmother.” Collio smiled. “I love you.”
“I love you too, Collio,” said Yanna. “You too, Misa.”
“Thank you. For everything. Especially for teaching me,” said Misa.
“Be sure to follow your map! You need to head southwest to the shore of the Great Sea, get a boat, and sail to the Nation of Fire.”
“Okay, Grandma. Goodbye.”
“Goodbye, Yanna.” Misa and Collio set off for the Nation of Fire.

Back
Top Bottom