• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

2008 Christmas Party

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phoenixsong

beep beep coming through
Pronoun
she/they/any
TCoD Wi-Fi League Christmas Party 2008

December, that most colorful and festive time of year, is upon us (and half over but shhh). Everyone in Dachét is filled with a little of that holiday spirit; even the forever-irritable Kratos Aurion is more agreeable than usual. (It's probably the egg nog.) December is a month practically made for celebrating, and many different cultures, religions and groups have something to gather together for around now, each event and tradition beautiful, fascinating and fun in its own way. But we're celebrating Christmas now because Christmas has egg nog and egg nog trumps everything.

Aside from the copious amount of egg nog that will be served at the party, there will be a few fun activities for everyone to participate in. Any registered member of the league is welcome to participate; if you aren't registered, see this thread and then this one before doing anything else.

1. Prize Drawings

To start off, we're going to have some simple prize drawings for a few nice gifts. To participate in the drawing, simply post here and state which prize (or prizes) you would like to be in the running for, and I will add your name and a number to the list. When the event ends, I'll use an RNG to pick one number for each prize; the person whose number came up wins the prize and will have it traded to them as soon as possible. Entering the drawings and claiming the prizes is free. You may only enter the drawing for each prize once, but you may enter as many different drawings as you like; you can only win one prize from this game, however, so if you win one drawing your name will be removed from any others you have entered.

Thanks go to Prettzel for offering the two Togepi and the first mystery shiny as prizes. If you have any questions about them (but not what the mystery Pokémon is! Don't spoil the surprise!), you should probably direct them to him because I don't know anything more about them than what they are.

Prizes:

Shiny Togepi #1 (nicknameable)
1. Full Metal Cookies
2. Grimdour the Desecrater

Shiny Togepi #2 (nicknameable)
1. Fredie
2. Walker
3. Manaphy DriftRider

Shiny Eevee
1. Prettzel
2. The Suicune
3. Espeon
4. Manaphy DriftRider

Mystery Shiny Pokémon #1 (nicknameable)
1. Full Metal Cookies
2. Kratos Aurion
3. The Suicune
4. El Garbanzo
5. Espeon
6. Manaphy DriftRider

Mystery Shiny Pokémon #2
1. Prettzel
2. Fredie
3. Walker
4. El Garbanzo
5. Grimdour the Desecrater

Ice Punch and/or Icy Wind tutored to one of your Pokémon via Platinum
1. El Garbanzo

2. Pseudo-Secret Santa

I had wanted to do a proper Secret Santa, but at this point I really don't think there's enough time for that. Instead, what we are going to do is this: if you would like to participate in the secret gift exchange, PM me with the name of a gift you would like to add to the pool. The gift can be anything as long as it's actually a decent gift: a rare Pokémon, a shiny, an EV-trained or high-IV Pokémon, a rare item or useful TM, but nothing retarded like a plain, level 2 Rattata or anything like that. As a general rule, if you wouldn't want to get it as a gift, don't offer to give it. If you don't think you have anything like that you can offer to trade, you can offer some sort of service instead. Offer to breed them a specific Pokémon, tutor or train some of their existing Pokémon, maybe chain them a reasonable shiny if you're lucky with that sort of thing.

Anyway, when you PM me I will add your name and your gift to a list. When the event winds down I will randomly assign each participant in the exchange any gift other than their own. After I make the announcement about who gets which gift from whom, it is your responsibility to get the gift you received from whoever has it and give your gift to whoever got it. Please be honest about this. Do not offer anything you cannot or do not intend to provide, and actually give it to the person who got it as soon as you can. Participants who are not honest with their gift-giving will be barred from participating in future events and may suffer other consequences as well. This sort of thing only works when people are actually trustworthy, so if you aren't going to be serious about this then do not sign up.

3. Christmas Metronome Tournament

The leader of the Altoram Island Gym has graciously agreed to host a very special tournament. What is Christmas without gift-giving, and what's the fun of gift-giving if the gifts aren't wonderful, unexpected surprises? That's the idea behind the league's first Metronome tournament, a more relaxed, fun and off-beat tournament than most of the ones we usually host. Any league member, whether he or she plays casually or competitively, is welcome and encouraged to enter. Grab a team full of Pokémon that know Metronome, fire away and hope for the best; with any luck, Santa will bring your team many Earthquakes and Aeroblasts* and not Splashes and Defogs. (Maybe you should go help an old lady cross the street before you enter, just to bias Santa in your favor.) The sign-up period won't last long, so go ahead and get your name down soon! A lovely shiny Togekiss will be awarded to the winner, too!

To sign up for the Metronome tourney, see this thread. Don't post about it here, please.

Any other ideas for simple games can be suggested in this thread as well, although the suggester may need to be the one who handles running that activity and any additional prizes that need to be distributed to the winners/participants.

The event will probably end on December 31st; unforeseen circumstances might push the official end date back further, but probably won't. So until then, enter the drawings, give gifts, go spam Metronome and repeatedly get Explosion and Splash in the tournament, enjoy the nog* and have a very happy holiday season.

* The High Council assumes no responsibility for any damage to any property, Pokémon or persons caused by Draco Meteor the Metronome Tournament. The Council also assumes no responsibilty for anyone who gets themselves stone drunk on all the nog and smashes a car into something. Call a taxi, morons.

Last edited:
...okay. I can understand the Metronome tournament coming up on short notice and Metronome-users being hard to come by. I can sort of understand not wanting to scrabble around trying to find a gift for someone you aren't even familiar with for all you know. But the drawings, at the very least, are free and require no more effort on your part other than what little expenditure of energy it takes to say "hey I want one of the Togepi, sign me up".

...you guys are so lazy and boring that it disgusts me. :/

I think I'll try my luck with the mystery shiny #2 and the shiny eevee. With luck, nobody else will enter and I'll win by default, mwahahaha....
EDIT: Meanies. :(

Last edited:
putting my name in the hat for shiny togepi #2 and mystery shiny #2 because shinies are awesome

I think I'll sign up for both of the Mystery Shiny drawings... and the Ice Punch move tutor (do I win by default if nobody else enters? XD)

One potential problem, though: If by some freak chance I do win something, I won't be able to pick it up until after January 12th (no access to Wi-Fi when I'm away from school.) Is that okay?

Hm. Still debating about what happens to drawings with only one entry, mostly because I am lazy, unwilling to collect the shards needed for the tutor unless I absolutely must and only offered that because I couldn't think of anything else that was halfway appropriate. oh wait did I say that out loud

Probably, I guess.

A late trade should not be a problem, though, at least not for me. I don't know what is or isn't convenient for Prettzel.

If the prize drawing are still open, I'll sign up for the Shiny Eevee and Mystery Shiny Pokémon #1, unless it's full.
*Was too lazy to check whether it was still open or not and assumed it was drawn on the 25th*

The drawings will probably remain open for one or two days after Christmas, actually, so you're fine. And they can't really get "full" anyway.

In that case, can I join the draw for the first Shiny Togepi and the second Mystery shiny? Thanks.

Okay! Prize drawings for the new year, let's get this over with.

Shiny Togepi #1: Full Metal Cookies
Shiny Togepi #2: Walker
Shiny Eevee: Espeon
Mystery Shiny #1: El Garbanzo
Mystery Shiny #2: Grimdour the Desecrater
Ice Punch/Icy Wind: no one by default (thank god less effort for me)

Congratulations to the winners. The first mystery shiny (El Garbanzo's) is a Skarmory that, unfortunately, I don't know much of anything about; the second (Grimdour's) is a level 1 female Jolly Riolu. FMC, Walker and El Garbanzo, please contact Prettzel to claim your prizes; Espeon and Grimdour, talk to me.

Right. That's it. Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, Happy New Year, blah blah blah. The next event will come whenever people actually show interest and are willing to follow through on that interest instead of making me do all this work for nothing soon, hopefully. G'night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom