• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

burookple's sprite plaza *fresh*

Atmey Detective

Mr. Heavy Kickass
okay, imma starting fresh, new sprites, new styles, new everything

picture.php

using one colour palate, i managed to recolour 9 sprites, tell me what you think

picture.php
squirtle + rotom
picture.php
darkrai + mewtwo

picture.php
here i took the pokemon ranger 2 magnezone Vs sprite, and made it capture the whole body

picture.php
and here is a scratch sprite i did of raggew, a rag ghost pokemon

picture.php
and here is my tatterd, broken bronzong​

please give constructive critisism, not just, "cool sprites dude" or, "could be better", cos it's not gonna help me now, is it?

Last edited:
Re: burookple's sprite plaza

:/ to do a spoiler you have to do tags.

[.spoiler]

instead of a . put /

so it should look like this

:D Are you taking requests? I know this isn't a shop, but I mean private requests. :/

EDIT:

disregard the top part, i see you did use spoiler tags. :/ sorry.

Let's start with some criticism.

These aren't even real splices-They're severed Pokemon parts stuck onto each other. If you want to become a good spriter, then you'll have to learn to scratch on parts so that they're proportional to the main body, and change the shading if necessary. Some of them are even missing lines. On your Burookple(?) that's not a custom sprite-Just another splice. The Mawile's clamp is just tacked on there, melting into its head. The fire is going at an awkward angle as well. The Exeggutor's Christmas tree is very sloppily scratched, and it appears that it's stepped into the backside of the present. On the Hitmonlee and Machamp thing, all you did was scribble white and black on Hitmonleee and put some black spots on Geodude, then stuck it on a background.

Overall, these are in their starting stage, and could use alot of work. Keep trying.

Last edited:

Let's start with some criticism.

These aren't even real splices-They're severed Pokemon parts stuck onto each other. If you want to become a good spriter, then you'll have to learn to scratch on parts so that they're proportional to the main body i did plenty of scratching on these sprites dragonites tail, grotles feet, absols tail., and change the shading if necessary. Some of them are even missing lines. On your Burookple(?) that's not a custom sprite-Just another splice. The Mawile's clamp is just tacked on their, melting into it's head its ment to be like that, not all creations have to have arms. The fire is going at an awkward angle as well. The Exeggutor's Christmas tree is very sloppily scratched, and it appears that it's stepped into the backside of the present. On the Hitmonlee and Machamp thing, all you did was scribble white and black on Hitmonleee and put some black spots on Geodude there's plenty of shading on the outfit, and on the geodude, then stuck it on a background.

Overall, these are in their starting stage, and could use alot of work. Keep trying.

still, thanks for the c+c :)

There isn't much I have to say that Zapdos hasn't already said except that not all sprites have shading coming down from the top left and changing shades every so often. You need to shade it to make it look like what it is. You wouldn't just shade a sword like that. You would add a lot of highlights to show the reflective property of metals. All I have to say now:

Keep practicing. That is the only way you will get better.

These sprites have improved since last time. Some of your recolours look a little wierd, though. Like the Hariyama, for instance. The dark colours just don't suit it, and I'm finding it hard to make out some features. The Squirtle+Rotom is good, but there's a patch of white under the left (our left) eye. Was that intentional, because I just don't think it looks right there. The Darkrai+Mewtwo is probably the worst here. No offense, but the colours are again too dark, and Darkrai's wispy parts... just don't look right. The Magnezone is good, the outline is a bit wavery in some places, like the center eye, and in others quite thick, like the antenna. Raggew is fine from where I'm standing, but then again I can't scratch to save my life. Of course, while the sprite is good the name sounds like rag-ew, and that plus its body shape makes me think of a used tissue. The smashed-up Bronzong I don't have much to say about, it looks like you used some sort of distortion tool and simply edited out some parts.

Last edited:
These sprites have improved since last time. Some of your recolours look a little wierd, though. Like the Hariyama, for instance. The dark colours just don't suit it, and I'm finding it hard to make out some features. The Squirtle+Rotom is good, but there's a patch of white under the left (our left) eye. Was that intentional, because I just don't think it looks right there. it was intentional The Darkrai+Mewtwo is probably the worst here. No offense, but the colours are again too dark, and Darkrai's wispy parts... just don't look right. i dont like this one ether :/ The Magnezone is good, the outline is a bit wavery in some places, like the center eye, and in others quite thick, like the antenna. i know, that was my first full body, i need practice Raggew is fine from where I'm standing, but then again I can't scratch to save my life. Of course, while the sprite is good the name sounds like rag-ew, and that plus its body shape makes me think of a used tissue. well, thats what it's ment to look like, lets say, some kind of invisible orb posseses an oily ripped rag, you have raggew The smashed-up Bronzong I don't have much to say about, it looks like you used some sort of distortion tool and simply edited out some parts. nope, all scratched, scince i use MSpaint, i dont think there even is a distortion tool.

comments in bold, thanks for the c+c :)

Is that Magnezone a pixel-over then? If so, I have a couple of things to say about it. Right after the obligatory YAY!!! PIXEL-OVER!!!

It's a great pixel-over (If that's what it is) but some of the outlines (Especially on the magnets) are a little jagged. The lines have too many pixels in places and they look a little fat. A bit more highlighting wouldn't hurt either. Magnezone's supposed to be made of metal, so he needs to be really shiny. That's why the in-game sprites irk me so, because there's barely any highlights. Grrr.
Also, the palettes on the recolors is a little odd. It's a very unusual contrast and the colors don't look good together. If that kind of thing is what you were going for, then you certainly nailed it, but if not, then it's just wierd.
Splices are fine, scratches are fine...so yeah. Practice, practice practice. I'm not saying any of them are bad, but by accepting constructive criticism and acting upon it, good things can be made better. Keep on spriting!

These aren't bad. I'd have to say that in my opinion, the Pixel Over is the best.

I like how you scratched the darkrai/mewtwo's face, but the dark colors around the face/head make it look less than stellar.

The Squirtle/Rotom is also pretty good, obviously there isn't much you can do with Rotom in the way of splicing, so it's a pretty good effort. However, it looks a lot like Squirtle. It'd almost be better to not splice anything, but just recolor it orange, and then make a part of it, the shell for instance, the electric blue, in the style of an inferno. If you don't know what I mean, here.

It is great that you can do recolors, basic spriting skills like that will really help down the road. But the colors you used aren't that great. Maroon, yellow, electric blue, and bright green don't work very well together. The contrast is almost too much, and the result is very eye-hurty, which is a big no-no in spriting.

The tattered Bronzong looks pretty good. Maybe you could do a little more with the top though?

And a scratched fakemon. Nice.... however, I would suggest a little more shading in it.

Pics are back up, and actually, using one color pallet I bet someone could recolor every single Pokemon sprite to Arceus.

And that color pallet hurts my eyes, anyway.

Yeah, somebody could do that, but not all Pokemon have the same number of shades/highlights per color, so there might be some with more than the number of shades/highlights in the new palette.

Also, if the palette's color combination hurts your eyes, why use it?

It's not my pallet, I just have to look at it every time I go back to the Sprite section...Yowch.

Magnezone wasnt exactly a pixle-over, I just added some parts on it from it's ranger 2 vs sprite

Yea sorry for the eye hurty sprites, I was bored so I made them that way xD

Back
Top Bottom