• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Daily Pokemon Discussions

This looks kinda fun. I want to try it.

Hmm, Houndoom, not among my favs, but certainly is an awesome Pokemon. I love how he is dark and fire and pretty intimidating.

Houndoom is a stereotypical Dark-type. Black, fierce, carnivorous, and its offensive stats are higher than its defensive stats. Also sleek, like Dark-types usually are when they aren't rough or spiky (or possibly ghost-like or scaly).
But why can't it learn Horn Attack?

It's a go-to Pokémon for creepy as fuck Pokédex entries.

"Upon hearing its eerie howls, other POKéMON get the shivers and head straight back to their nests."
"Long ago, people imagined its eerie howls to be the call of the grim reaper."
"The flames it breathes when angry contain toxins. If they cause a burn, it will hurt forever."

Yes, it certainly is quite an awesome pokemon, and with better special attack than attack stat for a change none the less. I don't know about it's current status, but I could imagine in a metagame filled with fighting types that it has fallen in popularity, not to mention the stealth rock weakness. I like it's design due to overall badassery, but also for the placement of dem horns. Oh, and it's a demon in canine form, what more is there to ask for?

Final judgement: A pretty badass pokemon with some creepy pokedex entries.

Last edited:
Yeah, Houndoom has excellent Pokedex entries. Dark/Fire is an interesting type combo as well.

Overall, Houndoom = awesome

Last edited:
I love Houndoom. It's one of my favourite Pokemon hands down. Love its design and as others have said it also has interesting dex entries.

And the next Pokémon shall be...
150px-203Girafarig.png

.girafariG

Yes, I typed it backwards to emphasize the palindrome.
What can I say otherwise... It's the first combination of Normal and something other than Flying ever. Psychic's weakness to Ghost has been eliminated, and... Stats favor offense. The Pokédex doesn't mention any mind powers, it's probably Psychic because of the two brains thing. It's also cute, and the gender difference suggests that the female's tail head might be weaker (which is good, because it means the intelligent one having more control over the body).

And here is one thing from Bulbapedia:
Despite many of Girafarig's Pokédex entries describing its small head's tendency to bite, Girafarig cannot learn Bite. However, it does learn Crunch.
What I mean is: Wow, it can't learn Bite, which is suggested by the Pokédex and used to be Normal, but it learns Crunch, the stronger and creepier version of Bite. This guy's tail head is surely involved with the Dark type.

What I mean is: Wow, it can't learn Bite, which is suggested by the Pokédex and used to be Normal, but it learns Crunch, the stronger and creepier version of Bite. This guy's tail head is surely involved with the Dark type.
While the tail head does have a few traits commonly Dark-type -- it's savage and nocturnal (well, constantly active, at any rate) -- that doesn't have a lot to do with learning Crunch but not Bite. What moves a Pokémon doesn't actually get tend not to mean a lot -- Lickitung couldn't learn Lick before Yellow, for example.

Also, I think Girafarig is a good example of how creative Pokémon are. Most things giraffe-themed usually reference the fact that giraffes have really long necks, but Girafarig instead gets an unrelated gimmick. It does get classified as "Long Neck Pokémon", but it's not exaggerated or that relevant.

I have a Girafarig on my team in my current SoulSilver playthrough. He's pretty baller. I just love that little face on its tail! :v

Now for the next Pokemon:

RAYQUAZA!!!!

sy3yx4.jpg

I love Rayquaza. It is, like, the ultimate Dragon. Its strong, cool looking, and everything!!! I also love how he learns the HM Fly automatically and can resist any weather moves, such as Hail and Sandstorm.

Oh god yes! Rayquaza is easily my favourite legendary pokemon.
Sky King, Emerald Lord Bringer Of Peace, hear my prayer...

Right, so on to the analysis. Competetively it's obviously classed as uber, and though I'm not as familiar with that tier I've heard that it can be quite a potent sweeper with a few Dragon Dances+Outrage.

Aesthetically I adore it, with those black and yellow markings as well as the red outlines on the "fins" going well with that smooth green colour. However I'm not too big of a fan of those skinny arms that also occur on pokemon like Charizard and Flygon, but I guess they sort of work. And it's shiny form is just wonderful.

When it comes to "background" or "story" it's also quite nice as it stops the fight between Groudon and Kyogre. And it's a Bringer Of Peace. 'Nuff said.

Rayquaza is the best of her trio. The third side, the guardian, the good one. Also the relatively fragile one, but that's a Flying-type thing. Besides, it's not like her defensive stats are low. It's that Groudon has high Defense and Kyogre has high Special Defense. And... I can say that while Groudon and Kyogre are counterparts to each other, she is... counterpart to the whole duo.
I think they made the sky legendary part Dragon because back then, pure Flying felt weird and Normal seemed sort of inferior. But the sky is indeed a great third side to the land and the sea.

Yes, though it really doesn't look like the bringer of peace.

It looks like it can ripe someone to shreds in an instant. His Shiny Form is also really cool looking.

Back
Top Bottom