• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

LUNAR ECLIPSE TONIGHT

Crazy Linoone

broke ASB
Get your butt out there and watch this. Now.

The luster will be a bit "off" on Dec. 21st, the first day of northern winter, when the full Moon passes almost dead-center through Earth's shadow. For 72 minutes of eerie totality, an amber light will play across the snows of North America, throwing landscapes into an unusual state of ruddy shadow.

The eclipse begins on Tuesday morning, Dec. 21st, at 1:33 am EST (Monday, Dec. 20th, at 10:33 pm PST). At that time, Earth's shadow will appear as a dark-red bite at the edge of the lunar disk. It takes about an hour for the "bite" to expand and swallow the entire Moon. Totality commences at 02:41 am EST (11:41 pm PST) and lasts for 72 minutes.

If you're planning to dash out for only one quick look -* it is December, after all -* choose this moment: 03:17 am EST (17 minutes past midnight PST). That's when the Moon will be in deepest shadow, displaying the most fantastic shades of coppery red.

Linky link

Why hello there, clouds.

More excitingly, there's a near-total (well, 75%) solar eclipse on the 4th of January!

Sadly, I live in US of the A, so I'll just satisfy myself with a little lunar eclipse.

But there's a meteor shower on Jan. 4th-ish! That I can actually see!

I didn't see it, it was too cloudy, but standing outside in the cold and the complete silence was a uniquely rewarding experience itself.

I saw it, but it doesn't look all that impressive, at least from here - it's just a little brown. Oh, well.

I SEE IT

no I don't because southern hemisphere and it's daytime. :C

lol uv at first I was like "wait wtf its not daytime", then I remembered that Perth is three hours behind Victoria. Silly time zones!

It's too cloudy, so I can't see anything. (If the moon is even eclipsing right now. XD) I don't think I've seen a lunar eclipse before either~

It was cloudy....

D:

I saw a little bit at when it was not full, but then I looked when it was best and it was too cloudy and small, if what I saw was even it...

I was going to go see it but the rest of my family was asleep and I didn't want to wake them up. Opening the door makes a series of loud beeps. ._. Additionally the windows that face the moon happen to be in my brother's and parents' rooms. How unfortunate.

I saw a photo of the eclipse, though, and it looked pretty impressive.

Back
Top Bottom