• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

cussing

Swearing as a rule doesn't bother me; my parents swear way more than I do. This may come as a surprise, but I'm not really a fan of derogatory swear words with social imbalances at the core (eg. bitch, faggot).

Well, I'm totally okay with cussing sometimes, but I won't freak out when someone says the word 'bitch' or 'fuck'. And when I do cuss, it'll be more like "Shit. I left my assignment at home." Rather than directing the word at someone, like "That girl is such a bitch." And then again, I'm 12, so I barely cuss.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't feel either way with cussing. My upbringing makes me dislike it in general, but occasionally I kinda let peer pressure get to me, combined with the fact that most people cuss at school, and I occasionally cuss without meaning too. It's just become so mainstream and over used that I feel like swear words have lost their power.

See, I feel almost exactly the same. At school the other day, I meant to say "What the heck?! My stupid computer isn't working!!" But I, without meaning to, replaced "heck" with "fuck".

And I have been around cuss words my whole life, so I really don't find them a big deal. And yes, swear words have almost grown nonchalant, which explains why they occasionally slip out without me meaning to.

"Well, I'm totally okay with cussing sometimes, but I won't freak out and have a spaz attack when someone says the word 'bitch' or 'fuck'."

Please don't say this! :c That's a different story.

There was a study done that I found out about in one of the science magazines I like to read. It may have been Scientific American Mind or Psychology Today, I forget. But anyway, it shows swear/curse/cuss words almost cease to be words to our brains. The study involved putting subjects in an area of discomfort or pain. One group was urged to shout a swear word, and one was urged to not say anything (there was a control group urged to shout a normal, non-curse word). The subject was put under a brain scanner or somesuch. The study showed that those who swore were able to tolerate the pain more and that a different area of their brain lit up, showing it was active. Interesting, no?

I personally see no problem with it. Polite, no, but not really punishable either. Here's a rather tactful opinion on swearing/censorship that's more or less the same as mine: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeFZUFX95kE.

Back
Top Bottom