• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Capital punishment

Are you in favour of capital punishment?

• Total voters

I'm several days late I know, and I don't have a whole lot to add. I remember discussing the subject of capital punishment at great length a while ago shortly before I became a mod (and Pwnemon was involved I think), and my views haven't changed. But I just wanted to comment that I'm particularly struck by the irony of Texas's system of defining intellectual impairment... considering how Of Mice and Men ends... that and I'd be surprised if "most Texas citizens" have even read it.

No, of course. But there are things such as wars which kill far more innocent people, and many governments don't try to avoid those either, so I wouldn't put it above them to make too much effort to prevent executing innocent people, other than for their reputation.

wars are, uh, kind of not exactly greatest things ever, either, eh.

I do not support capital punishment (the death sentence, or torture if that's included). Is every life precious? Is every life equally precious, for that matter Hell no! There are people, hugely successful mass murderers/serial killers, that are completely sane and still don't care, they enjoy it. Really sick people, and then there are people like Don Ritchie. But does that give us the right to determine whether someone lives or dies, become their executor? No! I'mm all for life sentences, but I don't think we should go around dictating whether someone does deserve to live or die. New evidence is forever being discovered. Rehabilitation programs are a lot better, I should think. But, here's an argument for the other side in the interest of fairness:

Omerta by Mario Puzo said:
"Above all this," he said, "the victim, your loved one, lies beneath the earth. He is forever banished from this world. We will never see his face, we will never hear his voice, we will never touch his flesh. He is darkness, lost to us and our world."
They all listened silently as the Don took another sip of wine. "Now, my Nicole. Hear me. Your client, your murderer, is sentenced to life imprisonment. He will be behind bars or in an institution for the rest of his life. So you say. But each morning he will see the rising sun, he will taste hot food, he will hear music, the blood will run in his veins and interest him in the world. His loved ones can still embrace him. I understand he can even study books, learn carpentry to build a table and chairs. In short, he lives. And that is unjust.”
There's more to his argument, but I don't feel like posting the whole conversation. In my edition of Omerta, the conversation starts on page 53.

There's more to his argument, but I don't feel like posting the whole conversation. In my edition of Omerta, the conversation starts on page 53.

I see your Mario Puzo and raise you The West Wing:

Game On said:
I just mentioned your daughter being murdered and you're giving us an answer that's not only soporific, it's barely human! Yes, you'd want to see him put to death; yes, you'd want it to be cruel and unusual, which is why it's probably a good idea that fathers of murder victims don't have legal rights in these situations!

This part is particularly telling:

His loved ones can still embrace him

Why shouldn't his loved ones still be able to embrace him? Surely, in fact, capital punishment punishes them more than the convicted person himself?

Back
Top Bottom