• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

What would you like to see in Pokemon Aotearoa

I think a Battle Frontier thing like in Emerald would work well, instead of gyms. Also, maybe add some other gyms, like the dojo in Saffron City, that are optional. Online play could have something like this too, and maybe co-op as well.

Is this going to be released this in the public domain? Just wondering...because others might see the code as well, and maybe offer some more suggestions to improve the game.

Involuntary Twitch:
Concerning the story and plot, I'm currently working on it. When I go off to New Zealand next Monday, me and my friend (who I'm staying with) are going to work on it together. We're both writers and hopefuly by the time I come back in January, I should have the story/plot all finished :)

XDragonFireX:
I think that's a great idea, I've always thought it was weird that when you picked the berries, the plant died and shrank down into the dirt.

Doctor Jimmy:
A battle frontier would be great and will probably be included, but what do you mean by *instead of the gyms*? Also, I'm going to release the game as a download (you'll need to download Sphere to be able to play it) so that people will be able to play it whilst offline as well as online and the co-op thing sounds good.

Either make a great plot or have it freeplay. No Team X, just you and a crapload of trainers.

Yeah, I was thinking of maybe having two different games, well technically they won't be different games but one will have a story and one will be free play. I was originally thinking of making the game just free play, with optional quests along the way but I found that some people tend to need a story to keep them going and that when they play a freeplay, they get bored trying to find a quest and they have nothing to keep them going.

Also, I've been thinking and I going to have a seasonal system which depends on an internal calender and clock to pass the days and months as if real and also incorporate a random weather system. This would make the weather random but some weather would be more common depending on the season. For example, it has a higher chance of sun in summer and a higher chance of snow in winter.

For example, it has a higher chance of sun in summer and a higher chance of snow in winter.

Well, I think thaat, unless you're like REALLY far from the equator in the game, there shouldn't be ANY snow during the summer. Also, matching the seasons exactly to the reall season might be a bit annoying, since I might have to wait a year to see the snow or whatever.

Also, what about seasonal events, like a snowman-making contest, or a sandcastle contest in the same place depending on the season?

Well, I don't think I explained it very well before. See, the seasons will make certain weather more common in certain areas but some places will always have the same weather so that in at least one place in the game will have say snow, another will always be sunny. But most places the weather will change according to season and obviously there won't be snow in summer, such as in full winter, it'll have a very small chance of rain cause it'll turn to snow most of the time and there won't be snow in summer because it's rain.
Hope that's a little clearer :grin:

Also the season related events were in my idea pool already I just wanted to put forth the actual seasons first.

What about a monthly change in weather?

Plus you can add special effects when its "release" just like the diamond dust in Diamond/Pearl during January 11. It's purely aesthetic, though. No ingame effect.

I wish you luck with your game! Also, I hope your programmer doesn't bail on you like mine did with my project >.>

If you want some new Pokemon, I have some Pokemon you can use from an old idea that I scraped. They are legendary spirits based on the seasons (Ghost/Grass, Ghost/Fire, Ghost/Ground, and Ghost/Ice). That could work nicely with your seasons idea, and you could make them anything from running legendaries to being incorporated into a side plot if you choose

Ugh, seasons. I love the idea, but it would have to be purely for the looks. Now, if you wanted to change the pokémon according to the season, that would piss many people off. The rare ones who never appear (c'mon, all of us have dealt with this at least once) will be killers to find as they only appear a couple of months at a time.
Something like a daily season change is an appealing idea, but days seem too short. Weeks stretch it but still work.

in answer to the seasons dillema, there could be an option in game that you can change the date, that way if there was a season-specific pokemon you want and it wasn't that season you could change the date, and the next time you turn on your game your in the middle of a snowstorm!

four way battles/real people tag battles, my old friends from school used to have battles between two of them whilst the other two where sitting watching, it got boring after their fourth match
whereas if there was a four way battle we could all enjoy the same battle, plus the sheer awesomeness of having three opponents

and the real people tag battles, this occurs only with wifi or if a friend is nearby and connects with you

pokemon feeding option, i mean come on, you've seen it in the anime, in the fanfics, but in the games? no, if you don't feed your pokemon for three days he starts disobeying you in battle and a few other side affects. 2 days later when he still hasn' been fed, he leaves you

kinda like a tamagotchi ^_^

pokemon evolve during battle, i find it really annoying when i'm training and my pokemon becomes a level that it evolves at, then i have to wait ages cos this trainer has three pokemon.

the possibility of pokemon not liking pokeballs, pikachu doesn't like em so he has to stay outside of it and follow you around, so why can't this happen in the games? also, the chances of this are only a small chunk higher than the chance of finding a shiny.

anime like calls, in the games it's really strange to me how the calls of all the pokemon are just these random noises, it gives me a machine feel rather than a living pokemon feel

proper grammar during battle, in fr/lg it creeped me out how it said "foe ZUBAT used SUPERSONIC" i mean this both in terms of capitalisaion and the fact that it says "foe zubat" and other related terms

non identical NPC's, nurse joy is an exception, but don't you find it strange how there are like, 20 identical people throughout the game?

the addition of officer jenny, seriously, i havn't seen her since fr/lg

a male interpretation of officer jenny, something like officer jonny or jimmy

thats all my ideas :)

in answer to the seasons dillema, there could be an option in game that you can change the date, that way if there was a season-specific pokemon you want and it wasn't that season you could change the date, and the next time you turn on your game your in the middle of a snowstorm!

That's basically a get-out-of-jail-free card right there.

four way battles/real people tag battles, my old friends from school used to have battles between two of them whilst the other two where sitting watching, it got boring after their fourth match
whereas if there was a four way battle we could all enjoy the same battle, plus the sheer awesomeness of having three opponents

and the real people tag battles, this occurs only with wifi or if a friend is nearby and connects with you
thought those were a given
plus, this isn't for the DS, remember

pokemon feeding option, i mean come on, you've seen it in the anime, in the fanfics, but in the games? no, if you don't feed your pokemon for three days he starts disobeying you in battle and a few other side affects. 2 days later when he still hasn' been fed, he leaves you
this would be an extreme annoyance; you run out of money and can't buy the food, your pokémon start disobeying and you can't win as many battles (remember wild battles give no money); therefore you can't get money to buy their food, etc. when your pokémon start to run away you lose your team. also this wouldn't work for the last pokémon you have left; it can't run away or else you'd basically have to start the game over.
also big big scripting problem.

pokemon evolve during battle, i find it really annoying when i'm training and my pokemon becomes a level that it evolves at, then i have to wait ages cos this trainer has three pokemon.
honestly since the opponent's pokémon cannot even so much as level up during battle I find this idea unfair. The pokémon's stats are boosted highly in many cases. Hell, even sometimes getting the option of a new move is an overwhelming advantage.

the possibility of pokemon not liking pokeballs, pikachu doesn't like em so he has to stay outside of it and follow you around, so why can't this happen in the games? also, the chances of this are only a small chunk higher than the chance of finding a shiny.
If the chances are so low, then what's the point in adding it?
I mean, yes, I love the idea, but the way you word it sounds like every species has a chance of following you around, which would need the creation of overworld sprites for every pokémon, which is too much of a pain in the ass and a loss of memory to work well. I am, however, all in favor of the starter you obtain (whichever it may be) following you around; even with all twelve starters, a few more (like Pikachu), and some fakémon, it would still be manageable.

anime like calls, in the games it's really strange to me how the calls of all the pokemon are just these random noises, it gives me a machine feel rather than a living pokemon feel
too much time; too much effort; too much memory; too little gain.
not worth it imo

proper grammar during battle, in fr/lg it creeped me out how it said "foe ZUBAT used SUPERSONIC" i mean this both in terms of capitalisaion and the fact that it says "foe zubat" and other related terms
Honestly the capitalization is the only problem. I didn't find anything wrong (though sometimes funny) with its current state.

non identical NPC's, nurse joy is an exception, but don't you find it strange how there are like, 20 identical people throughout the game?
Actually, no, because that would be a) too much work and b) too much memory.

the addition of officer jenny, seriously, i havn't seen her since fr/lg
Honestly other than just an Easter Egg it would be pointless but I have no opposition.

a male interpretation of officer jenny, something like officer jonny or jimmy
wouldn't be much more than an easter egg (unless he's involved in the plotline) but [shrug]

since i can't be bothered to answer all of that i will only say this, the overworlds could be done by me or you could simply modify some PMD sprites

and i said a small chunk higher, what i meant in it was like 15% chance or slightly higher like 20%

since i can't be bothered to answer all of that i will only say this, the overworlds could be done by me or you could simply modify some PMD sprites

and i said a small chunk higher, what i meant in it was like 15% chance or slightly higher like 20%

the overworlds would take forever.
let's see, there are 493 species. they each would need a sprite for each direction and walking in said directions (left and right, however, could be merged into one because they are mirrors of each other). that leaves 6 * 493 = 2958 sprites to make. it's also worth noting that the PMD sprites cannot be easily modified to fit with D/P-, R/S/E-, or FR/LG-style sprites.
you said a small chunk, and that means a small chunk. shiny pokémon have approximately a 0.01% chance of appearing. moving that to even a slim 1% chance multiplies the odds by 100.
Also, even if it was up to probability, would the person be able to carry more than one of these pokémon at a time? We could simply have the first pokémon be the only one that counts, but that would kind of ruin the fun, wouldn't it? One person may get a Caterpie; another might get Deoxys behind them.

if the walking pokemon comes into play, and i said if, we could make it that legendaries couldn't walk around with you for obvious reasons

if the walking pokemon comes into play, and i said if, we could make it that legendaries couldn't walk around with you for obvious reasons

there's still huge pokémon like onix, snorlax, steelix, wailord, etc.
you also haven't answered to my probability thing

the overworlds would take forever.
let's see, there are 493 species. they each would need a sprite for each direction and walking in said directions (left and right, however, could be merged into one because they are mirrors of each other). that leaves 6 * 493 = 2958 sprites to make. it's also worth noting that the PMD sprites cannot be easily modified to fit with D/P-, R/S/E-, or FR/LG-style sprites.

Since the game is going to have fakes in it, then there would probably be over 500 pokemon in the game. That means there would be over 3000 sprites to do.

Headbutt trees replacing honey trees. Honey trees pissed me off so much trying to get a Munchlax.

Back
Top Bottom