• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Review a video game!

Bombsii

IM ON THE ROAD ON THE ROAD TO VIRIDIAN CITYYYY~
Review a game you really think someone else would like or maybe wouldn't like,suggest and comment if you like.

I'll do Anubis II:

This installment of Data Design's £20 reskinnable platform game (after Rock'nRoll and Ninjabread man) has an Egyptian theme which is nice, and the name sounds like some sort of ointment for piles.Frankly piles is better than this game. It does indeed look a bit nicer than the other 2 in the series but thats due to the shiny gold colours rather than the designand it suffers from the same lousy controls as the last attempts. All 3 are small enough to keep running for a while without having thedisc in drive and would've been better value bundled together or rather as a cheaper WiiWare download, a miss.

20%- Walk around, pick up items the funs starting already.

Then i'll do my most recent game: Kirby Super Star Ultra on the DS.

a Cheery platformer not what we see a lot on the DS anymore without it failing miserably.Anyway, the game is cute, the graphivs and visuals are great, funny but very unremarkable. The game itself to way to easy for most gamers, easy and formulaic, but forget all that, it is fun, a lot of fun actually, only the stone hearted gamers won't smile at the little tweaks that make Kirby what he is. Kirby is a novel compared to other games now, but its basically a replayed SNES title, fun and fairly easy,too short but its worth getting, newcomers might be flummoxed by the dynamics while old-time gamers will easily crack it, but for a platformer this lottle fun title is worth getting 73%

Digimon World Dawn/Dusk

The plot in one version is slightly different from the other. They are two sides of a similar story. Light Fang (whom you are part of in Dawn) and Night Claw [mistranslated as Night Crow] (likewise, but in Dusk), think the opposite team is the enemy, but the real enemy is not Light Fang/Night Claw. I don't want to spoil it.

The gameplay is like an improved version of the previous Digimon World DS. They added much more in general.

100%.

I love these games!

My turn!

I'll do Ghost Squad.

Very good converted arcade that was made for and screams out Wii, it is a stunning conversion and oh what fun it is to play too. The controls are easy to use and every level and section is a pleasure to play. Plenty of replay value and the costumes and other extras make it far more than another arcade game. There aren't many classic shooting games on the wii, look no further, Ghost Squad is top-notch. Great value even if there are only 3 levels. Tiny hinges changing throughtout the game stop it being too repetitive.

Thre visuals are still perfect and moments like taking down enemy planes are fun and the end of level bosses are both challenging and fun. My favourite is sniping the leader with one shot in the head. timed. 5seconds. Result?: Fun!

It shows off quite how accurate the wii zapper can be, even if you don't want to use it the controls remain simple yet effective throughout the whole game.

Anyone can play ths game, easy for newbies, whilst experienced players will see the games darker and deeper features. Arm-to-arm combat, defusing bombs, clearing dinner rooms of terrorists and just sniping targets from a distance. Genius.

9.5/10

Now i'll do Warioware: Smooth moves.

A Fantastic collection of minigames and ways that the wiiremote can be used, grating cheese, putting in false teeth, driving a car... its all here and its rather insane.

You wonder what you're doing at when you've finished it you don't even see the point of what you've just done, it all seems rather stupid and pointless, but hey its fun, a good party game, upt here with Rayman Raving Rabbids 1+2

I'm going old school with a quick review of Earthbound.

This game is like the video game equivalent of the Beatles, and not just because the game is full of references to them. Sure, it's not as big and flashy as other titles like FF6 or SMRPG, but its simplicity and intimate feel really make the game something very different and memorable. The story, while by itself nothing terribly special, is buffed by weird and hilarious moments you probably won't find anywhere else. The gameplay is also very player-friendly, too. Your HP meter is on a rolling counter, meaning that even if you're hit by a mortal blow, if you're quick enough, you can heal and save yourself. Also, there's no such thing as a random encounter, as all enemies are visible on the screen before you fight them. And the music is absolutely incredible. It reminds you that Nintendo has some VERY talented composers. Also, the final battle is one of the greatest and most epic of all time.

On the bad side, though, it is a bit on the easy side, and most enemies can just be plowed through with brute force rather than with strategy. The main characters are not developed AT ALL. Also, there are also a LOT of really frustrating, tedious spots that make this game really hard to play through more than once.

Overall, if you're willing to give this game a chance, it's pretty freakin' awesome, though it does have some pretty deep flaws. And when you beat it, go play Mother 3, which pretty much fixed every single problem Earthbound had.

Digimon World Dawn/Dusk

The plot in one version is slightly different from the other. They are two sides of a similar story. Light Fang (whom you are part of in Dawn) and Night Claw [mistranslated as Night Crow] (likewise, but in Dusk), think the opposite team is the enemy, but the real enemy is not Light Fang/Night Claw. I don't want to spoil it.

The gameplay is like an improved version of the previous Digimon World DS. They added much more in general.

100%.

I love these games!

What, so it's perfect in every which way? There's no flaws, everything's perfect and you're never going to get tired of it?
Sorry, that's not the point of a review. You're supposed to outline the good and bad points of a game, even if it's one you like and you don't wish to admit it has anything wrong with it. You haven't even mentioned anything about the game other than a vague description of the plot either.
No game is perfect.

And so as to contribute...um...*browses through selection of old reviews*
Aha! Yoshi's Island. Reviewed December 10th 2007
Yoshi's island DS...It's received a lot of praise over the year it's been out. But is it deserving of it? Um, short answer. No.
See, it's not terrible, it has lovely graphics/animation, sound, ideas etc.
But the gameplay is extremely boring and tedious.
Right from start to finish (although I haven't finished it :| ) I don't have the patience to play for a long period of time. Early on in the game, the levels are just too easy and boring to play with uninspiring puzzles and level designs, boss fights etc. I ended up with 50+ lives because it was so easy and I hardly ever died. Then when you get closer to the end (near the end of world 4) the difficulty level just shoots up. Take the level before last in World four for example. You have to get through an area with slippery tiny platforms that are way too easy to slide off. If you do then recovering would be a miracle. To top that off, you have huge big pink bouncy things flying at you most of the time, moving platforms, bouncy penguins (that can only be killed by eggs, which makes them really awkward) and enemies you can't kill who throw eggs at you. I thought this game was aimed at everyone. It would take a hardcore gamer to get past these later levels! It's not very fun to be biffed and bashed around by these smiley pink bouncy things!
On top of that, some of the puzzles are easy, but really tedious. Like the one where you have to continously throw eggs at a wall of spiky balls to make the way safe for Yoshi and his pals. This takes forever and you could understand my frustration when I accidentally ran too far and died, having to start the whole thing again. It's things like this that made me give up on completing it. It's too hard, tedious and boring!
The game has some good ideas with the babies though. Mario can run fast and when he's on Yoshi's back, special blocks appear. Peach uses her umbrella to fly up updrafts. Donkey kong can climb vines. Wario has a magnet to pull down platforms and attract coins and Bowser can breath fire (stripping Yoshi of his swallow move)
The annoying thing is, that these powers aren't utilised nearly enough to keep things interesting. I actually started to feel entertained when Wario showed up because they were being inventive on the few levels with him. That's another thing. Wario and Bowser stay for about four to five levels and then you never see them again! Lame!
Instead of a health bar (like in Yoshi's story) if you get hit, your baby usually flies away in a bubble screaming their heads off. The annoying thing is, while the screams are cute at first, they get insanely annoying. Trust me, you'll be hearing them a lot. Later in the game, they have levels where you couldn't possibly avoid getting hurt the first time you play through and even when you know, it's still pretty difficult to avoid HUGE BIG-ASS CHAIN CHOMPS RAINING DOWN ON YOU! o_O
As well as the screams, the bubbles seem to move randomly which really sucks when you get hit at the top of some tall vines leaving you able to do NOTHING while you pray your baby flies down to you. But no. It decides to hover out of reach until it gets stolen. Meh, the stupid baby deserves it ¬_¬

I didn't pay much attention to the story however. Something to do with Kamek and Bowser needing something from several specific babies, but then again, Mario games are never really about the story. The only real development I've seen up to half-way through the final world is Baby bowser having an argument with present day bowser...and that's just to give them a reason to throw Baby bowser on us...
As I mentioned earlier, the graphics and sounds are mostly lovely. Especially for sprites. Regardless of how annoying the chain chomps are, they're really well drawn and animated.
There's four control methods to choose from. Two if you're not counting the different egg shooting methods for the two types.
I prefer the second one, because it's easier to control and it feels more like a classic Mario game (A to jump, B to swallow)
R is used to shoot eggs, which Yoshi will aim automatically. This is where the variations come in. You can choose whether to have Yoshi fire the egg as soon as you let go of the button, or to continue aiming up and down until you press it again. It was a nice idea so I give props for that.

But even these aren't enough to save the game. If a game is dull and boring to play, it doesn't matter how nice it looks or how good the controls are.
A disappointment, especially when I loved the supposedly inferior Yoshi's Story

Overall, I give the game 76%
I would only reccommend this game to hardcore Mario fans...and people who love frustration

I'll be doing...
Big Brain Academy!!!
brain3002.jpg

Big Brain Academy is a kind of companion peice to Dr.Kawashima's Brain Training, a different, less serious and slightly kookier take on the genre.

At first you'll be utterly bewildered by a random selection of minigames that have you working out if lions weigh more than frogs, drawing lines between groups of animals and doing sums in a hurry and remembering phone numbers.

The more you score the more your greymatter and the happier Mr Lobe (your host) gets.

Theres not many minigames and the randomness is kinda OTT.
If I had to describe it in 3 words.

"cute time waster." 55%

GEARS OF WAR 2 (XBOX 360)
gears2box_2.jpg

Just to get the obvious out of the way, the game is FRIKKIN' AWESOME!
There, I said it. EPIC and Microsoft have somehow managed to improve on the original Gears of War by a mile.
The scale of the game is tremendous, the vehicles are actually fun and the game doesn't stick to the murky grey colours the previous installment followed.

Everything just feels so pollished, be it the spectacualr graphics, the fluid combat system or the surprisingly gripping storyline.

the only thing I can really question about this game is the cover system.
As cool as it may be, it does start to get a bit annoying that you seem to spend 75% of the game hiding behind a wall.
even so, This game is near flawless and is a great dramatic gaming experience.
So, if you have a 360, BUY.THIS.GAME.

Score: 93%
"A roller-coater experience from start to finish. you NEED to play this"

Doukutsu Monogatari
Otherwise known as Cave Story, this is an indie game, created single-handedly by a man I now revere - Daisuke Amaya a.k.a. Pixel. That's right - he programmed it, made all of the sprites, did all of the designs, and composed all of the music. Everything - he did it. Yes, you can create a game worth playing (actually, I would call it a masterpiece) by YOURSELF if you have the time, the passion, the skill, and the vision to make it happen.
First off...

Gameplay
Cave Story is a platforming shooter adventure game. That is as good as I can describe it, as a mortal man. It is a beautiful concoction with fantastic level design, logical and fun objectives, frightening (and cute!) enemies, challenging bosses, and unique weapons. I must warn you - this game is NOT easy. You most likely WILL die, especially on your first play. The amount of enemies and projectiles can get overwhelming, but this does not detract from the fun. Probably the thing that stuck out at me first was the weapon system. Upon death, enemies would most likely drop golden triangles, which would increase your weapon's upgrade meter. When the meter was filled, your weapon would upgrade to the next level, the max level usually being three. The weapons get progressively stronger, and the animations and functions differ as well (for example, a larger shot, multiple firings at once, more bullets on screen at one time, etc.). However, when you take damage, as well as losing health, your weapon's upgrade meter will deplete as well - resulting in having to regain your energy if you want to fight easily. The enemies are fun to fight for the most part (a few exceptions are the flying Basu and the strange toilet-paper throwing ghost cats later on), and the bosses are creative and can prove a real challenge, especially later on. The only discrepancy I have is this: it really is unforgiving to new players. If you're not good at platforming or - god forbid - platforming AND shooting, you will die often. However, please don't let that deter you from giving it a shot - it's really a work of art. Practice on Mega Man or something. :O
Score: 9.5/10

Artwork
I will probably say a lot less here, because really? For a guy that did this all on his own? These things look amazing. Beautiful pixel artwork that captures character well and the attack animations can be quite showy and entertaining. Animation, overall, is very smooth - everything looks very natural and, basically, I have no problems with the artwork at all. Of course, they are of around SNES quality, or just a tad less. However, they are still beautiful.
Score: 9/10

Music
He's a genius composer. I really don't know what to say other than looking up the soundtrack on YouTube. Each piece perfectly complements the area - Grasstown is happy and upbeat, with refreshing melody and tempo, while Mimiga Village is slightly sad and almost lonely sounding. Some are quirky and fun, while others are urgent, foreboding, and dangerous. They're all fantastic. Go listen to them and enjoy.
Score: 10/10

Story
I'll try to not give away too much, but here we go...

You're a robot that wakes up in a cave with no recollection of anything, and with not a single item to his name. Soon he realizes he is on a floating island called Mimiga Island, which is inhabited by a race of rabbit-like creatures called Mimigas. You are thrown into a conflict between the Mimigas, who are just fighting for their freedom and survival, and the evil Doctor, who possesses the Demon Crown and wishes to enslave the Mimigas to assault humanity down below, on the surface.

Very interesting, with lovable characters (and enemies) with THREE different endings depending on what you do in the game (though I won't spoil that).

In conclusion, Cave Story is one game you do NOT want to miss out on - it's beautiful, it's fun, and you can play it over and over again. Not to mention, it's WORTH a full fifty dollars - it's just as lengthy and complex as any 2D Metroid or Castlevania title. Oh, and Amaya is working with a team of developers to come out with a WiiWare port soon, with enhanced graphics and other extra content. =] Show your support for Pixel and shell out the $10~ when it comes out. He'll appreciate it.
Overall Score: 9.5/10

Visit cavestory.org for a download of an installation pack including the game and the English translation. (Not Pixel's official site)

Aww, what the hell, I'm gonna write a quick review for Left 4 Dead.

I've been playing this game a lot with my brother and his wife, and though it hasn't been terribly in-depth, it's enough to write a short little review.

So, here's Left 4 Dead. The plot? You play one of four survivors in a town overrun by The Infected (referred to from now on as "zombies" for convenience). Your mission is to get to whatever rescue vehicle the campaign calls for alive....and that's the entire story. But really, in a game where your main enjoyment is blowing up some zombies, do you really need much more? Your ragtag group survivors consist of Bill, a grizzled 'Nam vet, Francis, a badass biker with a heart of gold, Louis, the average everyday guy, and Zoey, the genre-savvy girl.

Let me get this out of the way: This is the most flat-out fun zombie-oriented game I've ever played. If you have four friends, offline or not, this game is definitely an endless well of zombie-blasting fun. It's single player...not so much. I mean, I've definitely seen worse AI, but it ain't great. AI-controlled survivors have an annoying tendency to jump in front of gunfire, but otherwise play intelligently based on your difficulty level.

Speaking of difficulty, this game takes this in a very interesting direction. In addition to having the standard Easy/Normal/Hard/Expert settings, it adds the "AI Director", which actually regulates the amount and types of zombies you face. If you're blowing through the course, the game will up the ante with more challenging situations. If you're struggling, the game will avoid being outright unfair by easing up a bit. It also has the ability to punish players who are blatantly endangering themselves or others. For example, if I were to try to Rambo my way through the course on my own, leaving behind my teammates, the game would most likely put me in a situation where I'd be completely screwed without their help. This game puts a LOT of emphasis on teamwork, so it's good to keep this in mind.

Even the zombies in the game show a good deal of creativity. In addition to your normal zombies (who aren't really normal, as they can and will run at you), you have Hordes (where anywhere between twenty to hundreds of zombies will attack you at once) and Special zombies. These consist of Smokers (zombies that hide and try to grab you with their tongues), Boomers (Big, fat zombies who's bile attracts hordes, and who explode when shot), Hunters (Insanely agile zombies who will pin you down and claw at you), Tanks (Think Zombie-fied Hulk), and Witches (Female zombies who lay in one area and cry, but go crazy if you startle them). Also, weapons in this game are in a small variety, but require strategy to be used to their full potential, especially when it comes to the Molotovs and Pipe Bombs.

The graphics look a little dated, but for a very understandable reason: In this game, there can literally be hundreds of zombies in any given area. The graphics downgrade was to prevent slowdown, and in this regard it works very well, as this game runs very smoothly.

My biggest complaint with the game is that most of the campaigns are very short. A competent player can blow through one in about an hour. Also, for a zombie game, it's not very scary. If you're with friends, you'll spend more time giggling with mirth and cracking jokes than being afraid. But is that really a bad thing?

Overall, if you're looking for a fun and unique game to play with friends, and you're a fan of the zombie genre, this is the game for you.

As for what I have to say for Left 4 Dead:

It's an amazing game, the graphics really only look dated in splitscreen IMO, the AI probably has the best aim of any AI I've ever seen (but they can be idiots when it comes to helping you out), yeah it's pretty much the best zombie game I've ever played.

second is Dead Rising. :o

Doukutsu Monogatari
Otherwise known as Cave Story, this is an indie game, created single-handedly by a man I now revere - Daisuke Amaya a.k.a. Pixel. That's right - he programmed it, made all of the sprites, did all of the designs, and composed all of the music. Everything - he did it. Yes, you can create a game worth playing (actually, I would call it a masterpiece) by YOURSELF if you have the time, the passion, the skill, and the vision to make it happen.
First off...

Gameplay
Cave Story is a platforming shooter adventure game. That is as good as I can describe it, as a mortal man. It is a beautiful concoction with fantastic level design, logical and fun objectives, frightening (and cute!) enemies, challenging bosses, and unique weapons. I must warn you - this game is NOT easy. You most likely WILL die, especially on your first play. The amount of enemies and projectiles can get overwhelming, but this does not detract from the fun. Probably the thing that stuck out at me first was the weapon system. Upon death, enemies would most likely drop golden triangles, which would increase your weapon's upgrade meter. When the meter was filled, your weapon would upgrade to the next level, the max level usually being three. The weapons get progressively stronger, and the animations and functions differ as well (for example, a larger shot, multiple firings at once, more bullets on screen at one time, etc.). However, when you take damage, as well as losing health, your weapon's upgrade meter will deplete as well - resulting in having to regain your energy if you want to fight easily. The enemies are fun to fight for the most part (a few exceptions are the flying Basu and the strange toilet-paper throwing ghost cats later on), and the bosses are creative and can prove a real challenge, especially later on. The only discrepancy I have is this: it really is unforgiving to new players. If you're not good at platforming or - god forbid - platforming AND shooting, you will die often. However, please don't let that deter you from giving it a shot - it's really a work of art. Practice on Mega Man or something. :O
Score: 9.5/10

Artwork
I will probably say a lot less here, because really? For a guy that did this all on his own? These things look amazing. Beautiful pixel artwork that captures character well and the attack animations can be quite showy and entertaining. Animation, overall, is very smooth - everything looks very natural and, basically, I have no problems with the artwork at all. Of course, they are of around SNES quality, or just a tad less. However, they are still beautiful.

Music
He's a genius composer. I really don't know what to say other than looking up the soundtrack on YouTube. Each piece perfectly complements the area - Grasstown is happy and upbeat, with refreshing melody and tempo, while Mimiga Village is slightly sad and almost lonely sounding. Some are quirky and fun, while others are urgent, foreboding, and dangerous. They're all fantastic. Go listen to them and enjoy.
Score: 10/10

Story
I'll try to not give away too much, but here we go...

You're a robot that wakes up in a cave with no recollection of anything, and with not a single item to his name. Soon he realizes he is on a floating island called Mimiga Island, which is inhabited by a race of rabbit-like creatures called Mimigas. You are thrown into a conflict between the Mimigas, who are just fighting for their freedom and survival, and the evil Doctor, who possesses the Demon Crown and wishes to enslave the Mimigas to assault humanity down below, on the surface.

Very interesting, with lovable characters (and enemies) with THREE different endings depending on what you do in the game (though I won't spoil that).

In conclusion, Cave Story is one game you do NOT want to miss out on - it's beautiful, it's fun, and you can play it over and over again. Not to mention, it's WORTH a full fifty dollars - it's just as lengthy and complex as any 2D Metroid or Castlevania title. Oh, and Amaya is working with a team of developers to come out with a WiiWare port soon, with enhanced graphics and other extra content. =] Show your support for Pixel and shell out the $10~ when it comes out. He'll appreciate it.
Overall Score: 9.5/10

Visit cavestory.org for a download of an installation pack including the game and the English translation. (Not Pixel's official site)

Cave Storyyy <3
I can't wait for the Wiiware version x3

Digimon World Dawn/Dusk

100%.

I love these games!

Actually, no.

There's so much spelling errors in the text, it's pretty funny. The game expects you to already know a bit about Digimon, unlike Diamond/Pearl, where you can get information and Rowan blabs about what Pokemon are for you people who don't know. It just jumps into the story, and the plot is crap.

But Dusk/Dawn is pretty good, I'll give it that. Fun and addicting.

I'll review one of the best Playstation 2 games ever, Rayman 3: Hoodlum Havoc.

Story
The game is played out in Rayman's peaceful world, where the Black Lum André begins to turn the Red lums into Black ones, and begins collecting hair to sew big sack bodies, as the Black Lums are just small furry balls with wings, the bodies are capable of using weapons, machines, etc. And André uses his new army to try to take over the world. While the idea of one person trying to take over the world is very overused, Rayman 3 tells the story in a very unique way.

Gameplay
The gameplay is fairly simple, Rayman lacks neck, arm and legs, which makes him body, head and hands hover over the ground over his feet, he can charge up his hands by spinning them, creating a strong projectile attack. Another ability Rayman have is to use his hair as a helicopter, making him able to glide for a amount of time. The controls are pretty simple, and the lock-on ability makes it easy to hit opponents, by either bombing them with fast punches or charging a extra-powerful move, beating the regular grunt with a single hit. Rayman can also pick up battle-washing powder, changes his clothes to something else, giving him extra abilities, such as a metal jaw, used to grab hooks to jump over long distances, or grabbing an enemy and electrocuting them.

graphics
the graphics are beautiful, the stages change from peaceful forests to snow covered mountains to underground tunnels to giant medieval towers, all with their own personal looks, they're usually pretty detailed and colourful.

Overall
Rayman 3 is a good game, it's fairly easy to learn, yet challenging, it has a lot of humorous scenes, many stages and many unlockable minigames, it's a game worth playing. if I was you and saw one at your local gaming shop, I'd buy it.
9/10

I'm going to dive into the Mortal Kombat games like a good 18 year old.

Let's start with the classic we all know.

mortal_kombat_01.png

This essentially is what caused game ratings to be created. The arcade version was despised by your average soccer mom for creating violent thoughts in their kids' heads (Which is BS), condemned by religious organizations for glorifying violence (Then stop hanging a cross with a dead man on it, you wankers), and criticized by Street Fighter II fans for attempting to cash in on their favorite game's success. Well, two things are true. It's extremely violent and it was created to compete with Street Fighter II. However, the blood and gore was implemented to help distinguish it from being a Street Fighter clone. In fact, there were a few key differences that aided its success.

1. Fighters are not very unique. They all move around essentially the same and have the same basic moves. The things that make them different are their special moves (Scorpion's Spear, Liu Kang's Fireball, etc.) and the controls that execute them, the hit detection, and (Of course) the finishing moves. Which brings up my next point...

2. Fatalities. Note that Liu Kang does not kill his opponent, he merely performs a powerful, fancy uppercut. Unless it's on the bridge. Besides the pit fatality (Which doesn't actually count for the Fatality bonus if I recall, but may be part of the Reptile bonus. Been a while.), each character is capable of one finishing move. These are what make MK controversial. You don't defeat your opponent and walk away, you make it known you are the MK champion. So what do you do? Well, that depends on the character. Sonya blows a kiss that causes the opponent to suddenly catch on fire, Sub-Zero (Arcade version and Sega versions with blood code) ripped his opponent's head off, Raiden made his opponent's head explode with a discharge of lightning, and Scorpion executes the very famous "Toasty!" fatality of taking off his mask and spewing fire.

3. Graphics. Each fighter is depicted by an actor, adding a very realistic effect to the game. An initial complaint is that Sub-Zero and Scorpion were just color swaps. However, just by looking at their stances shows that they are indeed different.* The blood has a certain realism as well as looking rather fake at the same time. However, the blood and gore just goes with the game.

The sound and music are my biggest complaint. There was nothing memorable about the music except the character selection screen and the sound effects, including the voices of the fighters, got annoying real quickly, especially when they're doing multiple punches. It's not that it's that bad of an idea, it's the sound quality the just sucks. Luckily, they at least kept character distinction with the voices, such as giving Liu Kang a Chinese sound to his random yells and a tough voice to Scorpion (Hence GET OVER HERE). Still, not a strong point of the series. Didn't really help that the ports had bad sounds as well.

Plot: Defeat Shang Tsung and save Earthrealm from being taken over by the evil forces. Yes, it's VERY generic. In fact, this is the kind of plot I'd expect in an "E" platformer. And what REALLY annoys me about the series is that the plot DOESN'T GET ANY BETTER. I'm serious, a lot of the plot is very cliche. There's an obvious distinction of good and evil, the good guys are always working together despite the fact that they can fight each other at any time and pull a fatality, and the bad guys are not often playable (Shao Kahn wasn't controllable until Mortal Kombat Trilogy if I recall). The WORST part is the dialogue in the later games. While the in-game grunts and screams get pretty awesome, the dialogue in cutscenes such as during the Konquest modes of Deception and Armageddon are HORRID. All the characters talk rather noble-ish, even if they're evil (Kano, Daegon, Frost), they just have a bit of an evil flare. Well, I'll cover that another time...

My final points that I haven't pointed out... Well, the idea of juggling was said to be introduced in this game, which I find odd, but oh well. If the computer doesn't pull it... Oh, yes, that's a big thing. The AI. Always difficult as hell when you're playing the arcade edition, and the game is very cheap in terms of knocking down or knocking away. It's not that it happens too often, it's that it doesn't happen enough. If you position yourself right, you can punch your opponent for over 70% of their health. Really cheap, but luckily that's what the sequels are for.

And thus, my score...

76/100. Great game, don't get me wrong. However, with the frustration that comes with it, you either destroy something or you practice and pull off your first fatality with a smirk look.

Back
Top Bottom