• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Favorite Cover Songs?

Failure - Enjoy The Silence (Depeche Mode)
Johnny Cash - Hurt (NIN)
Led Zeppelin - When The Levee Breaks (Kansas Joe McCoy)
Guns N' Roses - Sympathy For The Devil (The Rolling Stones)
A Perfect Circle - The Nurse Who Loved Me (Failure)
Blackfield - Thank U (Alanis Morissette)
Ulver - Solitude (Black Sabbath)
Pain - Eleanor Rigby (The Beatles)
Apocalyptica's covers of Metallica songs like Nothing Else Matters
Dream Theater's cover albums of the entire The Number Of The Beast, Master Of Puppets and Dark Side Of The Moon albums (not even going to mention the originals here)

that's all I can think of off the top of my head right now

Last edited:
pantera's cover of "planet caravan", originally by black sabbath. that cover has got to be one of my favorite songs ever. it's really nice and mellow and i dunno man i just really like everything about it. sabbath's original is real nice too, but i feel like pantera's cover took a good, albeit maybe a bit of a minimalist base and fixed it up to eleven.

oh yeah, also love megadeth's cover of "i ain't superstitious" (willie dixon) and jeff beck's cover of "jailhouse rock" (elvis presley).

Last edited:
Country fan and musician that I am, it's Reba's cover of If I Were A Boy (Orig. by Beyonce) and this.

This too. And this (trust me, Justin Beiber slowed down 800 percent does not make his voice deeper, but the songs are so much better down there.)

There's more where that came from.

Last edited:
OMFG this. If anyone has played guitar hero, or likes dragonforce, so much this.

(yes, this thread has introduced me to the epicness of the Vitamin String Quartet. Thank you, whoever posted them.)

NIN original of Hurt is better. I'm probably the only one to think that.
You aren't - the original Hurt is definitely better imho. I think the reason why people (including me) like Johnny Cash's version so much is the fact that he was able to transcend genre, and even cultural lines so effectively. Johnny Cash was a devout Christian who recorded in the country music genre, the stereotypical tame, safe, old white people music genre. Trent Reznor is an atheist who includes atheistic themes in his work, and records dark, possibly disturbing music for a teen subculture often misunderstood by the older generation.

Despite these vast differences between the two artists, however, Johnny Cash was able to see the inherent beauty in Trent's song. He was able to take a song about a cocaine addiction, something that I would imagine he doesn't have very much experience with, and strip it down to its emotional essence (despair, loss, emptiness) and transform it into a highly effective, highly emotional piece about growing old and dying.

I think it's a beautiful and inspiring story.

on topic: everything by the Baseballs

You sir, #1 bro, are p. cool dude.

"Such Great Heights" - Iron & Wine
Originally a song by The Postal Service, but in my honest opinion this is so much better.

"Miracles" - Look at the Fields
Fucking hipsters, how do they work?

"Bohemian Rhapsody" - Jake Shimabukuro
Or anything else by him really. Go check out his stuff.

He was able to take a song about a cocaine addiction, something that I would imagine he doesn't have very much experience with

Uh, Cash suffered from a serious drug addiction throughout his career.

EDIT:

OH, Jimi Hendrix's All Along the Watchtower. I keep forgetting that's not the original.

Last edited:
I'm not the biggest Muse fan and Nina Simone's version will always be my favorite version, but damn they knocked it out with of the park with their take on it.

(yes, this thread has introduced me to the epicness of the Vitamin String Quartet. Thank you, whoever posted them.)

^^ Welcome!
I love playing their tracks as part of a normal playlist when other people are around and having them go "Wait... I know this song...but it sounds so classical! Wait, is this Blink 182?"

Being my mother's daughter, I have to profess the endless superiority of Bob Dylan and Leonard Cohen (and David Bowie, if the situation arises), but I do enjoy Jimi Hendrix's All Along the Watchtower and k.d. lang's version of Hallelujah.

Being my mother's daughter, I have to profess the endless superiority of Bob Dylan and Leonard Cohen (and David Bowie, if the situation arises), but I do enjoy Jimi Hendrix's All Along the Watchtower and k.d. lang's version of Hallelujah.

Bob Dylan prefers Hendrix's version. :P

Back
Top Bottom