• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Pokemon X/Y

It's not as if they're suggesting Psychic/Dark/Fighting as the type triangle instead of Fire/Water/Grass. It's just secondary types that happen to have a semi-triangular relationship.

I would be super-excited if the final evos had those secondary types.

But I would also be crushed because there doesn't seem to be such a thing as a Patrice tree.

I'm kinda meh on all the reveals so far except maybe Froakie. A possible fairy type sounds completely uninteresting, but I'll be really happy if it's weak to poison types. Poison deserves a power up. It annoyed the hell outta me when they introduced steel types and made them immune when poison already had such a shit deal.

I know some type advantages are bit hard to figure out, (Flying against fighting) but I'd really love to know the reasoning behind fairies being immune to dragons because that's... pretty hilarious if it's true.

Last edited:
I think it makes sense! Magicky otherworldly things like fairies often have some kind of big advantage over earthy creatures like dragons, in myth! even a vague basis would make it seem more reasonable than a bunch of other type relationships.

I was saying to someone else that it's entirely possible Patrice is the professor's first name—the source didn't actually say it was a surname, after all. Revealing the first name only is unusual, of course, but at the same time if you were going to make something up then only giving a first name seems like a very strange thing to lie about when you could just look up any old tree on Wikipedia and use that. So... that's... a possibility, I guess?

I'm not convinced that Pokebeach's source is legit. Some of it is plausible, but some of it just sounds like random fan-guessing (particularly the part about dual-type attacks). We'll see though.

I'm curious as to what the new character limit on names is. Also what is the advantage to riding Gogoat? It seems to not be faster, at least not noticeably, than walking.

Character customisation looks to be the thing I'm going to be spending 95% of my play time on. I'm so excited. ;___;

Also what is the advantage to riding Gogoat? It seems to not be faster, at least not noticeably, than walking.

It's probably some sort of mountain goat, so if you can ride it outside of the city it may be sort of like a replacement for rock climb? Maybe that's how rock climb works in general now?

Pretty exciting stuff overall, though atm I'm less concerned that it's looking more and more like PokeBeach's source is correct and more with silly smaller things like the increased character limits and the Ohmura-style trainer portraits in battle and that, assuming those screens haven't been manipulated for demonstration purposes, starters appear to have STAB moves as of level 5 rather than later. (And that froakie gets quick attack so that's probably what that move in the trailer was.)

Dual-type attacks and starters having STAB moves at level 5 are the two things that worry me most. Unless they are given at level 1 or something, which would be better, though still unwelcome. Skewing the first rival battle is a horrible idea.

A fast Water starter excites me. Slow things get Aqua Jet/Shadow Sneak/Bullet Punch merely due to STAB, but off the top of my head not a lot of slow Pokemon get Quick Attack. Especially non-normals. So Froakie, fingers crossed, might be a speedster!

The notion of a fairy type intrigues me, especially if Poison actually has a better use now and the types end up balancing out. It doesn't help me like Sylveon any better though. Also what is the significance of Mewtwo in the games, if it has two new Formes? I hope they don't try to incorporate the anime personality of Mewtwo, that seems ridiculous. Depending on how they handle that aspect I may write it off as jumping the shark.

It seems like a lot of new things to incorporate in one generation, then again DPPt had the Physical-Special split, the idea of Formes, split-gender evolutions, a multitude of changes to familiar Pokemon families...I guess it's not without precedent. GSC had breeding, two new types, shinies, genders and roaming Pokemon. I'm still reserving overall judgment.

I'm not pleased that I have to buy a 3DS now.

Dual-type attacks and starters having STAB moves at level 5 are the two things that worry me most. Unless they are given at level 1 or something, which would be better, though still unwelcome. Skewing the first rival battle is a horrible idea.

If both Pokémon start at level 5 with their STAB attacks, I don't see how that isn't skewed!

A fast Water starter excites me. Slow things get Aqua Jet/Shadow Sneak/Bullet Punch merely due to STAB, but off the top of my head not a lot of slow Pokemon get Quick Attack. Especially non-normals. So Froakie, fingers crossed, might be a speedster!

Yes, when the fastest Water-type starter is still Feraligatr (who is sub-80 and therefore not fast at all), a speedy Water starter is long overdue.

The notion of a fairy type intrigues me, especially if Poison actually has a better use now and the types end up balancing out. It doesn't help me like Sylveon any better though. Also what is the significance of Mewtwo in the games, if it has two new Formes? I hope they don't try to incorporate the anime personality of Mewtwo, that seems ridiculous. Depending on how they handle that aspect I may write it off as jumping the shark.

Fairy is the anti-Dragon, so I love it already. They've pretty much ignored the animé for this long, I don't suspect they'll start now. Either way, I don't see how that would be jumping the shark...

It seems like a lot of new things to incorporate in one generation, then again DPPt had the Physical-Special split, the idea of Formes, split-gender evolutions, a multitude of changes to familiar Pokemon families...I guess it's not without precedent. GSC had breeding, two new types, shinies, genders and roaming Pokemon. I'm still reserving overall judgment.

Deoxys was gen 3. Fairy-type, which isn't even confirmed, is the only "huge" change so far in my view. Just like Dark and Steel curbed Psychic's OP-ness (truly, Psychic fell to the pits in gens 2 and 4), Fairly will hopefully help curb Dragon.

I'm not pleased that I have to buy a 3DS now.

The 3DS has been out for over two years now. Diamond and Pearl came out (albeit in Japan) just before the two year mark for the DS. Those of us who've invested would like our 3D (main series) Pokémon now.

Character customisation looks to be the thing I'm going to be spending 95% of my play time on. I'm so excited. ;___;
Well, you pick one from three different looking characters, and you can change your outfit, so there's not boatloads of personalization going on there.

Well, you pick one from three different looking characters, and you can change your outfit, so there's not boatloads of personalization going on there.

There are only three options for starters but some people spend a lot of time on that!
Also nicknames. Nicknames take forever, though granted there are a lot more choices there.

Yes. I can change my outfit. I'm not sure what you're getting at. I can spend years on this.

(Also, technically wouldn't it be six characters, since I can also choose to be one of the dudes?)

If both Pokémon start at level 5 with their STAB attacks, I don't see how that isn't skewed!
It is skewed, that's my point. What i was saying is that it would be less skewed if the starters were given at level 1 and all had Tackle, or something, and then got STAB at level 5. That's also a break from tradition, but it'd be better, in my opinion at least, than skewing the rival battle.

Yes, when the fastest Water-type starter is still Feraligatr (who is sub-80 and therefore not fast at all), a speedy Water starter is long overdue.
My point exactly!

Fairy is the anti-Dragon, so I love it already. They've pretty much ignored the animé for this long, I don't suspect they'll start now. Either way, I don't see how that would be jumping the shark...
Intergenerational forme-adding seems...unnecessary. And potentially hard to justify. Like I said I'm reserving judgment.

Deoxys was gen 3. Fairy-type, which isn't even confirmed, is the only "huge" change so far in my view. Just like Dark and Steel curbed Psychic's OP-ness (truly, Psychic fell to the pits in gens 2 and 4), Fairly will hopefully help curb Dragon.
I forgot about Deoxys. But dual-typed attacks aren't huge? It seems like a lot more to keep track of for me. Dragon never gave me a ridiculous amount of trouble in-game as it is, but I welcome the idea of a new type.

The 3DS has been out for over two years now. Diamond and Pearl came out (albeit in Japan) just before the two year mark for the DS. Those of us who've invested would like our 3D (main series) Pokémon now.
My issue is one of money and how much of it I have, not lack of DS availability. My DS is shot to hell to the point where I welcome a system upgrade, but my cash flow is abhorrently bad.

Back
Top Bottom